Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Animally - The Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hellrazer wrote: »

And why didnt you report the posts?None of those posts were reported.Not one of them.

Right so a new thread was started - once again a poster did his stupid off topic, trouble making, totally not contributing to the thread, stock "lol" post. I reported it. It's been ignored. Conversation in the thread has totally stopped because now nobody will post as the tone has been set by that one post.

So can you explain exactly what you would like people to report?

EDIT: Not just directed at HR btw - but the other mods too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Whispered wrote: »
    Right so a new thread was started - once again a poster did his stupid off topic, trouble making, totally not contributing to the thread, stock "lol" post. I reported it. It's been ignored. Conversation in the thread has totally stopped because now nobody will post as the tone has been set by that one post.

So can you explain exactly what you would like people to report?

EDIT: Not just directed at HR btw - but the other mods too.

I agree, i think it was the same post i reported.

Why arent these people that are continuously dragging threads off topic and posting stupid smileys in topics not being warned etc? What is the point in reporting if nothing is being done about it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I reported a post yesterday and nothing has been done. So sick of this forum, I don't bother posting here much anymore.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

If you're talking about the thread I think you're talking about, then I also reported it. What's the point in reporting if nothing's going to be done about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Instead of everyone skirting around it and not saying which post it was - popcorn anybody?;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Apologies I was away for the weekend and couldnt deal with these reported posts and didnt see them until this morning.
    Im going through them (slowly) and will sort them by this evening at the latest.

Shanao wrote: »
    What's the point in reporting if nothing's going to be done about it?

I think it's a good idea to continue reporting, at least then when we raise an issue a mod can't respond by saying "oh well you didn't report".

Although this may not be the case as it has been said about threads that I did report. As I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

HR's a bit stretched at the moment, because I've taken a leave of absence for my own sanity. So it's my fault, please blame me.

It's being sorted as we speak :)

seamus wrote: »
    HR's a bit stretched at the moment, because I've taken a leave of absence for my own sanity. So it's my fault, please blame me.

It's being sorted as we speak :)

You two are the only ones who ever take any sort of active interest in this forum. I was trying to find a polite way to ask HR if he's feeling stretched or under pressure because sometimes it does seem as if he's trying to keep order here by himself.

EDIT: For your sanity - are we that bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I am not sure if I am looking at the right thread but in the one I am looking at the OP gave 2 options available to him.
    He was asked a couple of questions and he never responded again.
    To me there is no point in even engaging with popcorn person OR the OP if they are obviously not coming back.

I do feel a lot like these posts are put up to see how many feathers can be ruffeled in one go and that is why I wont respond to it. If the OP was engaging that would be different.

Is advocating the use of shock collars considered cruelty by the API forum?
    Is setting wasps on fire cruelty?

where is that line i wonder?

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »
    He was asked a couple of questions and he never responded again.
    To me there is no point in even engaging with popcorn person OR the OP if they are obviously not coming back.

If I was the OP I wouldn't have come back either as the stupid smiley would to me imply that should I continue posting I was in for a roasting. Which may well be the case, we've seen threads like that get nasty before, thankfully though it seems that it's now being dealt with. If it did get nasty - surely that's for the mods to look after, not any poster.
    I do feel a lot like these posts are put up to see how many feathers can be ruffeled in one go and that is why I wont respond to it.

+100, but when you respond with the aim of trying to find out if you can help the OP, to have your post dismissed like that is bloody annoying. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is advocating the use of shock collars considered cruelty by the API forum?
    Is setting wasps on fire cruelty?

where is that line i wonder?

I take it thats directed at me.

Big big difference between Wasps and Dogs in all fairness.

The rule in the forum is that discussion on the removal of vermin is and was always allowed be discussed whether thats wasps,rats,mice etc.

I take it thats directed at me.

Big big difference between Wasps and Dogs in all fairness.

The rule in the forum is that discussion on the removal of vermin is and was always allowed be discussed whether thats wasps,rats,mice etc.

Well it was not really directed at you but more me thinking out loud to be honest.:)
    I was a little shocked at your post.......I was not sure if i should be in admiration or not at your slightly "unorthodox" methods for removal of a pest, and then I was not too sure if the wasp is classified as vermin too.

I must also admit that I sit surrounded by swatters, I have them scattered all over my house as I have a mortal fear of wasps..........severe allergy:rolleyes: and I would not be thinking slightly about their status while swatting them into the next county:p

I dunno what reception I would get on here if I burned a rat alive though.......mind you poison probably is longer and more painful?

Edit: the use of shock collars is something I think mods should give their take on though

Well it was not really directed at you but more me thinking out loud to be honest.:)
    I was a little shocked at your post.......I was not sure if i should be in admiration or not at your slightly "unorthodox" methods for removal of a pest, and then I was not too sure if the wasp is classified as vermin too.

Oh theyre definately vermin.I hate the things and have been know to run a mile when I see them flying towards me.

I must also admit that I sit surrounded by swatters, I have them scattered all over my house as I have a mortal fear of wasps..........severe allergy:rolleyes: and I would not be thinking slightly about their status while swatting them into the next county:p

See!!!!!

I dunno what reception I would get on here if I burned a rat alive though.......mind you poison probably is longer and more painful?

Theres a difference there do you not think??Even if poison is more painful its a recognised way of dealing with rats.

Edit: the use of shock collars is something I think mods should give their take on though

Well whats the general consensus on these??Should we ban all discussion of them?Should we remove every thread that mentions them?
    I dont feel that we should but if users want it that wasy I`ll lokk at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Why would anyone want to ban discussions about shock collars?? They are a tool, just like a lead. Seems overly pc to me anyway. I dont use one myself but I wouldnt rule it out if it came to keeping my dog safe.

Well whats the general consensus on these??Should we ban all discussion of them?Should we remove every thread that mentions them?

Would hate to see a ban on discussion of shock collars. For a lot of people it's acceptable training, much like sticking your dogs nose in its mess used to be. If we ban discussions then we can't suggest alternatives that the OP may not have thought of.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to ban discussions about shock collars?? They are a tool, just like a lead. Seems overly pc to me anyway. I dont use one myself but I wouldnt rule it out if it came to keeping my dog safe.

See like this - reasonable enough, if it was to keep your dog safe. Not something I would consider at all unless it was a case of do or die. But what about people who ask about it when it comes to normal training. It would be a shame if they could get no info and went off to do something that they thought was the norm or a fool proof method.

I really don't think ANY subject should be banned tbh. But I do think posters should be mindful of where they are posting when something controversial pops up. Again it's all about tone and not going out to cause trouble really isn't it.

I don't think that whilst they are still legal here we should ban discussing them, but I do think that if people post in those threads deliberately trying to make an argument, rather than a discussion, then those posts should be removed at least, and possibly the poster warned.

Although I guess advocating animal cruelty is against the rules of the forum, and a lot of people consider them cruel, Wales has banned their use completely, the rest of the UK will probably soon follow. Of course Ireland won't ban them for at least 20 years after that:rolleyes: but they are being banned because they inflict unnecessary pain on an animal, which is cruelty. So I don't know if discussion of them should be banned actually:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I really don't think ANY subject should be banned tbh.

Thank God for a bit of reason. I had this discussion with another Mod & she agreed with the principle that topics or ideas won't go away if you ban them. Shock Collars, pronged collars, tying a dead chicken around a dogs neck etc etc etc are all considered reasonable by some people. By banning the post you don't remove the idea from their head as they have already posted it. But you ban any opportunity of discussing why it is cruel & why it won't work.

There is some weird idea that by discussing cruelty you encourage it when the opposite is true. We don't want those that promote cruelty to hide somewhere else. Let's have them in the open so that we can have a reasoned debate. Maybe if people knew why shock collars are cruel they would stop using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I read back through some old posts on the forum about shcok collars and I find it amusing that not so long ago there were posters saying how acceptable they were and how good they suited individuals needs, and yet they are now crying hell fire and brimstone at the mention of them in other posts.

homerhop wrote: »
    I read back through some old posts on the forum about shcok collars and I find it amusing that not so long ago there were posters saying how acceptable they were and how good they suited individuals needs, and yet they are now crying hell fire and brimstone at the mention of them in other posts.

Perhaps they read reasons why they're a bad idea and changed their views? You know yourself, ideas and ideals develop and grow. I think thats a good thing no?

I also don't see anybody crying fire and brimstone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Perhaps they read reasons why they're a bad idea and changed their views? You know yourself, ideas and ideals develop and grow. I think thats a good thing no?

I also don't see anybody crying fire and brimstone.

Perhaps you are right and perhaps there are those who like to be seen to agree with everyone else (that is just a personal observation). As I said i read through some of the older threads and there are those who go down the usual road of you shouldnt own a pet etc if you use one of them. hell fire and brimstone a saying I use to describe such reactions. Not directed at you in any way.

Perhaps you are right and perhaps there are those who like to be seen to agree with everyone else (that is just a personal observation). As I said i read through some of the older threads and there are those who go down the usual road of you shouldnt own a pet etc if you use one of them. hell fire and brimstone a saying I use to describe such reactions. Not directed at you in any way.

There're people who agree with others for the sake of it - just like people who disagree for the sake of it ;)

Have to admit to going searching through my old posts re shock collars and can find nothing but disagreement to them (unless a temporary thing as a boundary while geting something more secure in place.) And being familiar with most of the posters on the thread I can't see many of them agreeing with them. I'm intrigued as to what posts you mean :D

Although like I said, it could well be people and their opinions changing as they gain more knowledge. I certainly have different ideas to certain things now than I would have had a few years ago - in all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Funny, a man told me at the weekend he's getting a radio fence and is putting up a row of electric tape to mark the boundry (told me because he thought I might give him free electric tape :rolleyes:) There is no chance he is paying to put up a fence and even less chance of him actually walking his dogs. It's radio fence, let them run loose like they are currently doing or the pound. I didn't put him off at all, I choose his dogs getting shocked over his dogs chasing my horses any day!!

I am actually not sure who cries fire and brimstone.....perhaps you could enlighten us.

surely the entire purpose of a forum is to put out opinions and listen to others opinions.
    If anyone is coming in here thinking they know it all then they will not benefit from any discussion, and after all, thats what its all about! that works equally for the pro and anti people btw:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Hi guys & gals!

Thought this would be the best place to post this as it's both animally and not animally <- think i just made that up??

Anyhoo,
    My boxer goes EVERYWHERE with me and last friday, I finally plucked up the courage to attack my car with my mums superdooper pet hair remover hoover. I could have made two more boxers out the amount of hair that was in my car.

What I would love and what I'm hoping some of you can help me with, is finding some good quality leather seat covers that will actually fit my car seats.

I bought some 'universal' seat covers in Halfords but they would hardly cover the feckin head rest never mind the whole seat.
    They were the least 'boy/girl racer' looking but they were a horrid grey colour.

Can anyone help? :o

I would start a new thread as it's a very animal relevant topic & not many people will find it here. Maybe a nice mod could move it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Thanks Discodog... I'll just copy and past maybe?

aoife2k wrote: »
    Thanks Discodog... I'll just copy and past maybe?

I would :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

'Arrogance' raised its ugly head, dismissed and even contradicted good advice given to another poster, then returned with its tail between its legs crying about hip dysplasia. I appreciate that the poster was big enough to come back and let us know but still seems adamant that it is not necessarily a reflection on the person he sourced his dog from. I think an 'I told you so' is a fair enough response when good advice was given in the first place and efforts were made to dismiss that advice. The replies given to this new post were no more dismissive than the replies given by the same poster to the advice that would have prevented them getting into this situation in the first place.

• Advertisement

'Arrogance' raised its ugly head, dismissed and even contradicted good advice given to another poster, then returned with its tail between its legs crying about hip dysplasia. I appreciate that the poster was big enough to come back and let us know but still seems adamant that it is not necessarily a reflection on the person he sourced his dog from. I think an 'I told you so' is a fair enough response when good advice was given in the first place and efforts were made to dismiss that advice. The replies given to this new post were no more dismissive than the replies given by the same poster to the advice that would have prevented them getting into this situation in the first place.

Totally agree, and maybe if someone was looking for a dog and read that thread, and then saw what had happened, and realised that advice was given and ignored, then some good would come out of it. I don't necessarily know if anyone who isn't aware of genetic health issues reads that thread now, that they will realise exactly what has happened. I don't think the co-relation between buying a pup from health tested parents, and the fact that a poster has come on and said his pup has HD is very apparent now that the post pointing that out has been removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement