Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Animally - The Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I agree with both AJ and Isdw in that andrea was right to point this out and reply after the big deal this lad made out the place he was buying the pup from.

However a simple "I told you so" would have sufficed but to rub it in to the face of the user in question was way out of line in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I agree with both AJ and Isdw in that andrea was right to point this out and reply after the big deal this lad made out the place he was buying the pup from.

However a simple "I told you so" would have sufficed but to rub it in to the face of the user in question was way out of line in my opinion.

Thank you for putting a modified post back up, I think it does help the situation, but yes, perhaps the way it was originally written may have caused more issues.

Good modding.:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ISDW wrote: »
    Thank you for putting a modified post back up, I think it does help the situation, but yes, perhaps the way it was originally written may have caused more issues.

Good modding.:D

The modified post was put at the same time I posted on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Anyone else feel like this place is turning more like AH by the day? :rolleyes:

Whispered wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like this place is turning more like AH by the day? :rolleyes:

Tis all the kiddies on their school hols--Nothing else to do but troll boards :)

In my day I left the house at 9.00am with the dogs and was lucky to be home at 6 for me dinner and then back out till after dark--those were the days--Im sounding old here.

This www stuff has ruined kids these days :D:D

• Advertisement

Well if the kiddies insist on running riot around API I reckon a lot of genuine posters might be put off.

You must be SICK of me reporting stuff :pac:

Back in your day HR the www wasn't even invented. (heh back in MY day I don't think it was either so I guess, in the old stakes I'm quite close to you :( )

Well if the kiddies insist on running riot around API I reckon a lot of genuine posters might be put off.

Theres only 5/6 weeks to go and its always the same once teh holidays start.
    You must be SICK of me reporting stuff :pac:

Np but a lot of it are one post wonders just trying it on--and either ways I need a bit of help modding this place so watch this space ;);)
    Back in your day HR the www wasn't even invented. (heh back in MY day I don't think it was either so I guess, in the old stakes I'm quite close to you :( )

Oi--Im not that old.Well I am but shhhhh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The increased activity in A&P is an opportunity not a curse. Yes there might be the odd immature remark but at the end of the day, we need young people to get interested in animals. I would hope that we can spot the difference between a young poster & a deliberately unpleasant poster.

This issue has cropped up on other animal boards. Part of the problem is you cannot identify or distinguish young posters because of safety concerns. So we can only judge by the comments that are posted.

Oh god - it's not the ages at all. Or the increased activity - it's great to see more people getting involved. Just some of the posts are very AH'ish lately. Although I must admit I didn't think of the school hols until HR mentioned them.

Oh god - it's not the ages at all. Or the increased activity - it's great to see more people getting involved. Just some of the posts are very AH'ish lately. Although I must admit I didn't think of the school hols until HR mentioned them.

Always notice the same around the Xmas hols aswell to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Np but a lot of it are one post wonders just trying it on--and either ways I need a bit of help modding this place so watch this space ;);)[\quote]

Oh is whispered going to be a mod?!!

Not at all - my money goes on SP :D

Shall we start a sweepstake ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

who is SP?

Star Pants. Started as a Mod some time ago & showed great promise. According to Hellrazer she left because of one poster which seems totally bizarre - she should of banned them ;)

But I wouldn't want to be a Mod here so I can't blame anyone else for not wanting it.

Oh cool, thankyou.

I was a bit dull there trying all the different names and could not think of Star Pants.:o

Not at all - my money goes on SP :D

You would be a good candidate in my book because you devote a lot of time & effort to A&P. It is obvious that you care about it. I have read that one of the prime considerations in appointing a Mod is that they have a strong interest in the topic & the forum. I can't see how anyone who posts less than, say an average of once a day, can fulfil this requirement.

Also because you regularly post, your "character" & integrity can be easily assessed. I find it strange that many Boards mods in other forums rarely post except as a Mod. Also they are appointed from on high - how about an election ? :D

I would of thought that four Mods would be more than sufficient for a forum of this size providing that they all contribute & most important of all, sing from the same hymn sheet.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Why is it that every thread seems to end up in the exact same OT fighting? I'm surely not the only one getting put off by this.

Shanao wrote: »
    Why is it that every thread seems to end up in the exact same OT fighting? I'm surely not the only one getting put off by this.

Every thread :eek: ? Could you be a bit more specific ?

If you're talking about the Paws thread I was beginning to think a certain mod and a certain disco hound should get a room:p;)

• Advertisement

ppink wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Paws thread I was beginning to think a certain mod and a certain disco hound should get a room:p;)

You will be pleased to know that I have taken our "discussion" elsewhere & I didn't start it ;) Even though I posted this early on in the thread, showing that I had complained about PAWS, I was accused of being linked to them:
    Discodog wrote: »
    I had an incident a while ago where PAWS were collecting in my local supermarket. I spoke to the manager who told me that anyone was welcome to collect & to his knowledge

If Shanao meant me then it's a bit of an exaggeration as I only ever post on a couple of A&P threads at any one time. In reality the forum has managed to have some very heated discussions & there have been very few problems. Given the emotional aspects of A&P I think that the vast majority of posters act in a decent manner.

The PAWS thread does raise some interesting issues because, whether we like them or not, professional fundraisers are on the increase & they are hear to stay. The same arguments caused a lot of grief in the UK years ago.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Wrote that a bit fast earlier, should have been nearly every recent thread, and I wasn't just talking about you DD, though you and HR seem to have the same fight within every thread you both get involved in.

Wrote that a bit fast earlier, should have been nearly every recent thread, and I wasn't just talking about you DD, though you and HR seem to have the same fight within every thread you both get involved in.

It might not seem like it but in reality we have had relatively few tiffs & if there is further discussion then it is taken elsewhere like here ! If I was as bad as some people think then I would have more than three minor infractions in 3800 posts.

I complain because I care about the forum & my fellow posters :P

I can hear the clicking of thousands of keyboards as posters search for a vomit smilie !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I know it's hard to take an off-topic thread, off-topic ... but there's a few strands of conversation I'd like to tie off here for the minute. I'll explain why.

On the topic of mods and moderation, a little slack goes a long way.
    From the Rec category context, A&PI generates a lot of heat, which I've always put down to how emotive people get about animals ... ye're a passionate lot.

That said, the mods are volunteers, giving freely of their time, and until you've been a mod, it's hard to envisage how much work is involved ... and it is work, a labour of love, but work nonetheless. A little slack ... goes a long way.

Regular users can make forums run smoothly by reporting posts, and comporting themselves along the norms of the forum. When you are dealing with the faceless world of forum posts, it is possible to be mis-interpreted ... people can get the wrong end of the stick ... what some people see as forthright behaviour, others can see as obstreperous.

On the flip-side, mods & cmods certainly do have to listen to the forum regulars, so I'm proposing another "how's my driving?" thread, in the very near future. I want to do this so people have their say in their forum ... but we need to get some more mods on-board first. It's clear to me, from the outside looking in, that we need more mods in this forum, given the levels of activity and how strongly people feel about their animals.

Now ... trust me ... appointing mods is an arduous task, you have to make sure that the right candidates are selected, and the list is narrowed down to the most suitable people in the fairest way, for the best interests of the forum. Usually, but not always, this means forum regulars with a significant body of knowledge in the forum topic ... this can help, but there are also a number of forums where mods act as janitors, sweeping up as they go along, and not driving threads / topics. For A&PI, I think the demands on mods are higher than other forums, certainly other forums in the Rec cat ... so we're taking our time, to make sure we make the best possible choices.

All I can say at this point is we are looking at a number of possible mods - and decisions will be made soon enough, once the various mods, cmods, and admins are all in agreement.

The idea of electing a mod may seem good at first glance ... but it has been tried in the past, and found to be very problematic. Over the years, boards.ie has developed a process for appointing mods, which might sleem slow & cumbersome from the outside, but it is in place for a reason; the alternatives are worse, and bitter experience has shown this to be true.

tl;dr - let's all make a special effort to just get along, we're all on the same side.
    New mod(s) coming soon, closely followed by a "how's my driving?" thread, in which everyone will get their spoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can we make nominations? :p

You would be a good candidate in my book because you devote a lot of time & effort to A&P. It is obvious that you care about it. I have read that one of the prime considerations in appointing a Mod is that they have a strong interest in the topic & the forum. I can't see how anyone who posts less than, say an average of once a day, can fulfil this requirement.
    Thank you - you're right I do care about the forum but I don't think I'd be a good mod. I'm too reactive, something I often have to watch when replying to posts. I can imagine "what do you mean you bought your pup from a man who asked which pups when you enquired and insisted on meeting on the side of the road - banned for stupidity!" :pac: I also have some very strong opinions about some things and would find it hard to approach some subjects from an outside point of view. On top of that HR and I don't always see eye to eye (although I think we're starting to understand each other a bit better) I think AND I don't take critisism very well. :D
    I would of thought that four Mods would be more than sufficient for a forum of this size providing that they all contribute & most important of all, sing from the same hymn sheet.
    How true, only 2 of the mods show any interest in the forum - one of them hasn't been active since march. Times gone by it seemed some instances where mods were undermining each other, a decision made by one would be ignored by the other. At least that is not happening now and HR and Seamus seem to be consistent with their moderating.
    I complain because I care about the forum & my fellow posters :P
    I can hear the clicking of thousands of keyboards as posters search for a vomit smilie !

36_20_7.gif

(only joking.)

I know what you mean, I complain a lot, and report a lot, and moan at poor HR a lot. It's genuinely because I like this forum, I like posting in it, I like the people, even the ones I disagree with.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxdm824YYIE

I know what you mean, I complain a lot, and report a lot, and moan at poor HR a lot. It's genuinely because I like this forum, I like posting in it, I like the people, even the ones I disagree with.

Took the day off yesterday to reflect on a few things so here goes.

Thats alright Whispered--Its ok to have a moan every now and again as long as its not all the time like some users.

Despite what DD thinks I do actually care about the forum which is the main reason I get so annoyed when Im told I dont know how to mod the place.Ive been here long enough that Im obviously doing something right.

Other mods have come and gone because of the emotive issues and the downright lack of thanks that they get.Aswell as the run ins that theyve had with some users which they felt were personal.

I dont hold or never have held anything personal against anyone no matter how much they annoy me but I do feel that some users do and use any opportunity to slate myself and the forum.
    Yeah I get annoyed at the time and have a rant at higher powers but after sitting back and having a think Im Ive come to the conclusion that it shouldnt bother me in the slightest as its only a website.

We do this voluntarily and believe me if you saw "behind the scenes" so to speak you would realise how much work is actually involved but as I said its a thankless job.And I think if users actually knew what went on they wouldnt keep putting mods down in any forum never mind just here.

There was also a mention about mods only posting in a mod way--The way I personally feel is that no matter what I post its questioned wheter its a mod decision or a personal one.Sometimes that can overlap and so I dont always post when I want to.
    Do you think that its fair on a mod-never mind a mod--anyone in the forum who wants to post but is genuinely afraid to do so in case they are accused of the above or are afraid to go against the flow of a thread with a differing view??

My views on hunting are a prime example--Im anti-hunting with hounds or for "sport" but 100% pro-hunting for food.But when I post that in any thread Im accused of using mod powers to direct a thread and or siding with the hunters.

I look forward to having some new mods here who can take up some of the slack because I feel that for the last few weeks Im on my own here and it is hard work and can get to you after a while especially when you are continually put down and reported to cmods/admins.

I just hope that what Ive put here goes some way to help users understand where Im coming from and why I get so annoyed by users saying Im modding the forum the wrong way.

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

So glad you thanked me Tillygirl cause I nominate you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

There wouldn't be a hope in hell! :D

• Advertisement

If there were nominations I'd say yourself or ISDW would be great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement