Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Animally - The Off Topic Thread

Options
  • 23-01-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Yay! It has arrived - the off-topic thread!

So.

Whats your favourite flavour ice-cream? Hasn't the weather been terrible? Can you believe its nearly the end of January? Do you still have a job? Aren't the Obama girls awful cute? Do you find coffee makes you thirsty? I like paper stickies, do you like paper stickies? Have you ever found a key that didn't belong to you but you discovered opened something you owned? Daddy or chips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

DADDY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I love paper stickies!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

MsFifers wrote: »
    Yay! It has arrived - the off-topic thread!

So.

Whats your favourite flavour ice-cream? Hasn't the weather been terrible? Can you believe its nearly the end of January? Do you still have a job? Are the Obama girls awful cute? Do you find coffee makes you thirsty? I like paper stickies, do you like paper stickies? Have you ever found a key that didn't belong to you but you discovered opened something you owned? Daddy or chips?

Im glad someone else started the thread--I couldnt think of a good way to start it!!!
    Ben and Jerrys--chocolate fudge brownie.
    Weathers crap--but I want snow!!!!!!!!
    Yeah cant wait till February--might be better for me than January.

Job--Im in the motor trade--Shhhhhhh!!!
    Dont drink coffe or tea--Yeah Im wierd.Whats a paper stickie?
    Never found a key that opened something but I did lose my car keys,got a taxi home 30 miles to get the spares only to discover when I got back to the car that the spares I brought werent for that car.

Ill go for Chips.

Paper stickies - like the post-its? they remind me of work :(

I know it's a non animally thread, but I wanted to post these and there's nowhere really suitable in the forum. I just got them today and both brought a tear to my eye (altough admittedly it's very easy to make me cry!)
    A man and his dog were walking along a road. The
    man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was
    dead.

He remembered dying, and that the dog
    walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone
    wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of
    a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.

When he was standing before it he saw a
    magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the
    street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked
    toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse
    me, where are we?'
    'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.
    'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the
    man asked.

'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some
    ice water brought right up.'
    The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog,
    'come in, too?' the traveller asked.

'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'

The man thought a moment and then turned back
    toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of
    another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that
    looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.
    As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside,
    leaning against a tree and reading a book.
    'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have
    any water?'

'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on
    in.'

'How about my friend here?' the traveller gestured
    to the dog.
    'There should be a bowl by the pump.'
    They went through the gate, and sure enough, there
    was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.

The traveller filled the water bowl and took a
    long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.

When they were full, he and the dog
    walked back toward the man who was standing by the
    tree.

'What do you call this place?' the traveller
    asked.
    'This is Heaven,' he answered.

'Well, that's confusing,' the traveller said.
    'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'
    'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and
    pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'
    'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name
    like that?'
    'No, we're just happy that they screen out the
    folks who would leave their best friends behind.'

And the other one - I got this from someone who used to post here a lot.

Pets Ten Commandments
    1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Weathers crap--but I want snow!!!!!!!!
    Cold weather means warm hugs ;)
    Job--Im in the motor trade--Shhhhhhh!!!
    We have a new rep starting with us on monday who lost his job, he was in the motor trade too. Apparently it's down 75% on last year. Fingers crossed you manage to hang in there.

It was touch and go for me for a few weeks there, but we won a project only yesterday that will keep me in work over the summer at least. Until we got the call confirming the job I was just waiting to be given my notice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Cold weather means warm hugs ;)

I think I forget what a hug is(never mind anything else ;)

Baby hasnt slept in 12 weeks or more--Were both living like zombies!!

You have my sympathies, the pup woke me at 6am and I've been wrecked all day :p

You have my sympathies, the pup woke me at 6am and I've been wrecked all day :p

Oh 6 am would be heaven.Its usually between 2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

*Burp*

Excuse yerself!!

• Advertisement

Excuse yerself!!

*Shakes paws*

MsFifers - what about your answers to the questions!

Can I ad another few?

What hobbies do you have besides your pets?

What music do you like?

How important is it for you that your partner, or potential partners love animals too?

What is the most amazing experience you ever had?

What are you most proud of?

I really think this thread is great! So many people spend so much time here, it will be lovely getting to know you all on a more personal level.

Right, I'm going to answer these in an attempt to be a bit serious and introduce myself to everyone.

Whats your favourite flavour ice-cream?
    Ben and Jerry's Karamel Sutra

Hasn't the weather been terrible?
    Wicked. It's depressing at this stage.

Can you believe its nearly the end of January?
    Feels like it should be the end of March the way it's dragging.

Do you still have a job?
    Just about

Aren't the Obama girls awful cute?
    Yes. But I'm a terrible cynic so when Barack and Michelle were dancing the other night, all I could think was "wow, great PR machine"

Do you find coffee makes you thirsty?
    No. I find it very filling. I think that's because I like my coffee milky and sweet.

I like paper stickies, do you like paper stickies?
    Not really. I think they encourage waste of paper because nobody ever takes up all of the page or writes on the back.

Have you ever found a key that didn't belong to you but you discovered opened something you owned?
    Nope

Daddy or chips?
    Daddy. He's the best :D

Can I ad another few?
    Yes, go ahead.

I read a lot and love the interwebs

What music do you like?
    80s and Johnny Cash

How important is it for you that your partner, or potential partners love animals too?
    Very. My husband likes animals- could trust someone who didn't.

Don't know. Hope I haven't reached it already.

My relationship with my family. Feeling ashamed of my insipidness at the moment, though!

Two of my fav songs are Hurt (makes me cry - yea another thing that will bring me to tears) and a boy name sue always makes me laugh :)

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot - Personal Jesus

*wanders off to youtube

If you liked A Boy Named Sue, you'll probably like One Piece At A Time, too. It's one of my favourite.

Clikeh

This is a great thread!

Whats your favourite flavour ice-cream?
    Depends on my mood. I generally fall back on Rasberry Ripple though.

Hasn't the weather been terrible?
    Yup. Won't be taking out my Spring wardrobe any time soon.

Can you believe its nearly the end of January?
    Nooo it flew, I'm way behind schedule...

Do you still have a job?
    I'm a research student so safe enough this year, but I'm government funded so no guarantees for next year...

Aren't the Obama girls awful cute?
    Haven't noticed. Can't take my eyes off Mr Obama.

Do you find coffee makes you thirsty?
    I find that. I recently changed to Oolong Tea, I've heard it counts towards your daily water intake.

I like paper stickies, do you like paper stickies?
    I love them. So many uses.

Have you ever found a key that didn't belong to you but you discovered opened something you owned?
    Have found keys but never thought of trying them in something I owned.

Daddy or chips?
    Daddy, for def.

None these days, it's work work work.

What music do you like?
    Pop, 80's, a little country.

So important. My boyfriend is very kind to animals.

Three weeks in Rome with people I love.

My family, for keeping it together during the hard times, and never losing their sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

OK, had a good sleep and its a lovely sunny morning so I can now reveal my answers...:D

Ice-cream: Cookies & Cream, or Baileys, or Vanilla & Fudge or... (actually if its ice-cream its all good! I've discovered its actually impossible to be unhappy if you are eating ice-cream.)

Weather: Well, I've had a few nice walks in the crispy, cold sunshine, so its just about tolerable.

Believing its end of January: Scary!

Job: Yes, phew!

Cuteness: very! Aw! But their Daddy is awful cute too!

Coffee: It makes me thirsty, hyper and hungry - but I LOVE it! And it has to be real coffee - none of this instant nonsense.

Paper stickies: Yes, post-its. Why did I call them paper stickies? The best thing is to get the multicoloured pack and make nice patterns on your desk.:P And then you look really busy and important too.

Keys: No. But I keep collecting found keys just in case one day one of them unlocks something amazing.

Daddy or chips: Um, chips. Sorry, Da. :D

Hobbies: Writing stories I never finish, volunteering, walking, going out for coffee, baking cakes & bread.

Music: Mixed taste - have the ipod on shuffle all the time.

Animal loving partner: Essential. Although one of my friends has told me there is no way I'll ever find a man now that I have cats. Single woman with cats = run, run away as fast as you can!:rolleyes:

Amazing experience: Once I was on holiday in Fiji, and met up with some marine biologists and one day they came running past me shouting "Come on! Quick!". So I jumped into their boat with them and we caught up with a pod of pilot wales they were observing and we went swimming with them!!! :) Coming eye-to-eye with a baby whale is unforgettable!

Proud of: I can't think of something in particular. Oh - starting the off-topic animally thread. :D

Tattooing/body mods.

What music do you like?
    Metal--Any type once its heavy.

Very important.We`ve chosen al our pets together(except my spiders and reps)

Getting married in Barbados.

My kids--Theyre teh best in the world.

We're just back from visiting my mam, and her little jrt, when we were down over christmas Harley was only a tiny bit bigger, now he's nearly twice his size! I can't believe how quickly he's growing! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I wish puppies and kittens would stay puppies and kittens for longer than they do! :D

Well, last night I was watching The Dark Knight - so violent! :rolleyes: And I DID NOT like the way Batman was beating up those poor Rotties!

I am immediately turned off any book or film that has any kind of cruelty or unkindness to animals! Except Wonderboys! I love that film even if they did shoot the dog! :D

I'm not sure why Batman was talking like he had just eating a bowlful of crushed glass though.

Anyway - any recommendations for what should be next on my DVD list? I'm not really into action movies, but anything else is OK!

• Advertisement

We've been living in our house for 2 years and every time we get a film, we both realise that we have not watched one good one since we moved in!

Over the weekend though we watched pineapple express. It's just an amazingly stupid film but had us laughing the whole way through! Just don't watch it if you want anything serious or lovey dovey!

Oh I enjoyed Garfield too :o or any of the shrek films.

We watched Hot Fuzz over the weekend. Would definitely recommend it- though it was nothing like I thought it would be.

After reading so much about the Korean horror A Tale Of Two Sisters on here and IMDB, I bought it on Amazon and watched it last weekend. Hated it. Was so disappointed. Not scary at all. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I just got let go from work :(

Rory123 wrote: »
    I just got let go from work :(

Really sorry to hear that. :(
    Was it expected? Do you have another while to go or was it with immediate effect?

So sorry to hear that Rory123 :(. I hope you work something out. Keep us posted.

No it wasn't expected, I was given 2 weeks notice but he just let me go there and then, which was nice. Just not enough work out there at the minute. It's ok, I've a few bits and pieces to keep me going hopefully.

George is going nowhere as he costs nothing to keep. Hopefully I'll be able to hold onto the fish, they do cost a bomb though. :(

So sorry to hear that rory. Do you think you will be able to pick something else up, or are you in an industry that has been hit particularly hard?

I'm a cabinetmaker so it doesn't really look to good for getting another job too soon. I'm lucky to have kept my job this long... I know guys who have lost their jobs since this time last year.

Is there anything else you could do Rory? A lot of skilled trades people are out of work now. One friend of mine is looking at taking a job in the carribean. It's a few months of solid work, but the money he will make could last him the year.

Cold this evening isn't it.

Just back from a walk and the fog is so thick you can barely see in front of you, it was eerie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Morning peeps, Loving the thread...

Hi Rory so sorry to hear about the job loss. Fingers x'd and everything else that something comes up for you soon.

Hellrazer am in the motor trade too, was touch and go there for the first week or so as to whether id still have a job but its tipping over slowly but surely so hopefully i can hold on until March (going on Maternity Leave)...

Months are dragging in aaarrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement