Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you hate dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

dSTAR wrote: »
    Watna get yourself over to The Irish Times in Melbourne this Friday. Much cheaper than a flight back to Dublin. There will be much Dublin guff spoken no doubt. :D

I'll be over in Aus towards the end of this year so a boards night out will be in order! We can try and pick up the Dublin vibe then!

I like living in Wellington. It's a clean, friendly, interesting, cultural and compact capital city and it has a lot going for it but it just doesn't have Dublin's atmosphere. It has a CBD that's dead outside business hours and often I'll wak through town on a Friday and Saturday night and although there is people about and the usual binge drinking happening (yes - getting wasted on a weekend night is popular outside Dublin too) I've commented a few times that the atmosphere seems a bit off. I guess it's just not "home". I'm quite happy here, I'm very busy here and see and do a lot and am making the most of my time away from home but occasionally when I go in to the Butler's Chocolate cafe across the road from work I close my eyes and imagine that I'm in the one on Nassau Street and I can walk around the corner and go for a stroll up Grafton Street and up to Stephen's Green. Sad, I know! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dublin rules. Had to laugh at the post about Dubliners being miffed at someone's Clare reg plate. Clare? Who gives a toss up here about it?

While Dublin has it's problems most of them could be sorted out by closing down Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

watna wrote: »
    ...occasionally when I go in to the Butler's Chocolate cafe across the road from work I close my eyes and imagine that I'm in the one on Nassau Street...
    ZOMG. There's a Butler's Chocolate there?

That's it! I am moving to Wellington tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Zebra3 wrote: »

While Dublin has it's problems most of them could be sorted out by closing down Coppers.

Coppers is a total kip but the biggest redeeming quality is that it is completely free of the posers that you get in other clubs in Dublin.

Living here with 3 years now and I have to say the biggest problem with the place is the scum. Not a day goes by that I don't see some shower of pyjama wearing leeches arguing, usually over a baby dressed in a Celtic shirt.

Also the mullet seems to be de riguer for young lads, wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Dublin's brilliant, wish i could say that about some of the people that live here though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I love Dublin. I've only been there a few times but I actually look forward to going there when I get a chance. I've been to Dun Laoghaire (sp?) aswell and that was really nice too.

I hate the attitude of some Dubs though that anyone who's not from Dublin is a backward culchie. Some seem to have a special kind of hatred reserved for Cork, which I'll never understand because Cork seriously is daycent boi! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Went to work in Dublin for a while... horrible. People okay, but some arrogance when they see a Clare plate on the car. Come to Co. Clare, ftw!

i have to agree, i've expierenced the ideology that Dublin is the end-all and be-all of Ireland and that everything outside it is ackward and to be looked down on. If your'e not from Dublin, then you must be some kind of uncivilized yocall. i know there's taking pride in your county, but come on.

just as an example, In the paper, when plans for the western rail corridor(sp?) were anounced, dublin store-owners complained that it would loose money and that all rail lines in the country should go through Dublin. before this opens, the only way to get a train from Ennis to Galway was to go through Dublin! Crazy!

Having said that, i don't find much else wrong with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

despise is my word for the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

jaffa20 wrote: »
    There is no more atmosphere.

This happened years ago when Dubs moved down the country because they couldn't afford to buy a home in the capital, the nightclub scene died, and young country people stopped moving to expensive Dublin to go on the dole.
    Blame the Celtic Tiger - it ruined this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I hate the attitude of some Dubs though that anyone who's not from Dublin is a backward culchie.

I'm from Dublin and I've lived in Dublin most of my life and I have never met anyone that considers someone from outside of Dublin as 'backwards'! Have Dublin people actually said this to you or is it just some kind of inferiority complex manifesting itself/some kind of self-perpetuated insecurity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭HarryPalmer

I'm from Dublin and I've lived in Dublin most of my life and I have never met anyone that considers someone from outside of Dublin as 'backwards'! Have Dublin people actually said this to you or is it just some kind of inferiority complex manifesting itself/some kind of self-perpetuated insecurity?

They've said it to me, and quite routinely I should add. Not a bother, as it's mostly just a little barracking but not always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Could be better, could be worse. Just thank your lucky stars you dont live in ****ing Galway tbh. A billion miles from civilisation, costs an arm and a leg to get in/out of, cost of living seems pretty much the same as Dublin, the weather has to be seen to be believed (though we are having a Galway special here today as well :( ), and to top it all off there is the whole fake culture thing they have come up with to fleece tourists and foreign people living here (who, to a man, love Galway. Infact Ive only ever met one foreigner who agreed that Galway is a dive. To me Galway has as much Irish cultural charm as Benidorm has to a Spaniard, it is like a windswept less fun equivalent). Shove your fireaters and your long haired crusty street performers up your hole, cheesy is not the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

dSTAR wrote: »
    Nowhere in the world compares to Grafton Street on a summers day or even at Christmas for the lights

meh, was in malaga just before christmas and it totally blows grafton street out of the water with regards christmas lights, the whole old town area is lit up like a christmas tree and they have a huge 150ft+ tree in the middle of town

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

OP, would you care to clarify what Dublin you're talking about?

There are more countries that just Ireland in the world you know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dublin is a hole. More then that, its an embarassment to the Irish nation and surely the most pathetic 'European' capital in existence. To think Dublin is where many tourists get their impression of Ireland and the Irish people...:(

Objectively, I find it hard to see how anyone could say they would rather live in Dublin then in Galway, or Cork, or Waterford etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

They've said it to me, and quite routinely I should add. Not a bother, as it's mostly just a little barracking but not always.

I'm sure it's mostly a bit of banter. We all do it. In fact, if anything I think you'll find that there's more anti-Dublin sentiment out there than anti-country feeling. Best thing to do is ignore it. If some gombeen clown wants to hate Dublin for whatever reason, I don't care. It drives them mad. Try it on any Dubs who give you ****.

And just as I type, see the poster above. The difference is he has this chip on this shoulder about Dublin whereas most residents of Dublin couldn't give a fiddler's fart about some Cork boy's opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

stovelid wrote: »
    Dubin is very small compared to a lot of other well known cities. The idea that it's some kind of heaving, crowded metropolis is funny.

Well it's the most densely populated part of the country, so in comparison to everywhere else, it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Its a Kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

DanGlee wrote: »
    Its a Kip!

Well argued point. Good post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Get new friends.

• Advertisement

DanGlee wrote: »
    Its a Kip!

Such visceral eloquence. Are you a member of a debating team? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I despise Dublin as well as the filth that are born and reared there.

I'd love to see the place nuked to dust with the "Dubs" vaporized along with it.

Orizio wrote: »
    Dublin is a hole. More then that, its an embarassment to the Irish nation and surely the most pathetic 'European' capital in existence.

define pathetic in regards dublin compared to other EU capitals

rossie1977 wrote: »
    define pathetic in regards dublin compared to other EU capitals
    True; in comparison with most of Europe it's barely a town let alone a city. Shame is, Ireland generally is pathetic in comparison with the western EU. They have decent roads, public transport, schools that are not a series of pre-fabs, accountable politicans, health care and all sorts of crazy things that Fianna Fail would have been mad to invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Blue Belle wrote: »
    This attitude of people moving to Dublin from other counties and giving out about us really gets on my wick. Its generalisation and laziness. Dublin is a county not just a city. I live in Dublin (outside the pale for all you ignorant 'west Brit' accusers out there) .We've a huge choice of pubs, shops etc. and Im a 5min stroll from a mountain and a 10min drive from the sea. We have places steeped in Irish History all around. If you dont like it, leave. But dont insult us and our home and then call us rude!
    If you dont like the people maybe you're living in a bad area (every county has them). If you dont like the clubs then pick another one. (We have enough of them!) If you're looking for culture there are so so many places to go. One of my favourite things about Dublin is just walking down grafton st at night time. I lived in Waterford for 4 years without insulting the people there. I wish I could say the same about them.. The attitude of some people when I said I was from Dublin was the epitome of rudeness.
    I love the atmosphere. The buskers, the lights.. Especially at Christmas. Its too hard to appreciate it during the day but at night it just has a special feel to it I think. :)People are more abrupt in cities its a fact of life, and as for the 'samey' look, I have to disagree with you there. Maybe the business people all wear suits, and the teenagers follow the same trends but its like that everywhere! I just get annoyed defending Dublin to people who jump on the I hate Dublin bandwagon for the sake of it.
    I would guess the scarves thing is more to do with half the population having chest infections at the moment! And Grafton St is just one thing I personally love about Dublin. I also love climbing the Dublin mountains, walking the piers in DunLaoghaire, Some of our buildings are beautiful like The GPO for eg. Go to the national art and history museums, go visit guinness, go to Kilmainham gaol, collins barracks, come to my local... trad session every wed! Maybe just enjoy all the things you cant do at home.
    Who cares what they wear?! In fairness if you're that judgemental then there's gonna be no pleasing you anyway! Regardless, I wouldnt go to another county and insult it and its people and I would at least make the most of what the place had to offer before judging it.
    Quiet ya west brit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Born and raised in Dublin, there are a lot of things I would like to change about the place but think I'm kind of used to all the negatives at this stage - mostly scumbag/cost of living related. Dublin does have it's scumbag/expensive areas. So do Cork, Waterford, Galway, Limerick, etc.,etc.

If it affects you so much then leave but generally I find if I keep to myself and know where to shop the negatives don't affect me so much!

Deep breathing helps too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Collie D wrote: »
    Well argued point. Good post :rolleyes:

Does he need to say anymore?

Lived there for a few months in 07 and can safely say was well glad to get out of there. The standard of living seems to be poor enough compared to other parts of the country. To and from work in a stinky rattly over crowded bus. Overpriced shops and accomodation. Plenty of nobs in circulation there who think they're in a class above you. No real interaction between people in Dublin, even in the workplace, everybody's looking after number one. Other large cities such as London, Manchester, Paris may be on a par or worse though but can't say I like Dublin in any regard.

True; in comparison with most of Europe it's barely a town let alone a city. Shame is, Ireland generally is pathetic in comparison with the western EU. They have decent roads, public transport, schools that are not a series of pre-fabs, accountable politicans, health care and all sorts of crazy things that Fianna Fail would have been mad to invest in.

just back from luxembourg city and that is smaller than galway, nightlife is almost non-existant, we walked around empty streets at 11.30pm on a saturday night :eek: its a lovely place though, picture-postcard in every aspect

true dublin is alot smaller than london, paris, berlin or madrid, doesn't have the history or glamour of rome or athens, but amsterdam, brussels, copenhagen, helsinki are no bigger than dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 cool username

I love Dublin, as someone born and reared in a small town in the country I would never move back home. I love the town where I'm from but if i'm back there for longer than a week or two I get majorly claustrophopic. Being somewhere "where everybody knows your name" can get a bit wearing. Also Dublin does have a good buzz about it that a lot of European cities don't (has anyone ever been to Brussels?? Beautiful city but no atmosphere at all) And I've lived North and south side and I ADORE the northside.

• Advertisement

No real interaction between people in Dublin, even in the workplace, everybody's looking after number one.

That's one thing that I really noticed. I've lived and worked across a lot of Europe and have to say the only place colder was London.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement