Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you hate dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Live here and fcukin' hate it. Moving at the end of the summer. Really don't like that people and culture* all that much either. Everyone's so rude, especially in clubs, girls just push by and hardly ever say excuse me or anything.

*Culture being getting hammered!

Also the people you wouldn't normally have the time of day for pretending to be your best mate, I hate that! I don't even do that when I'm that hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭shift

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I'm just sick of it to be honest. There is no more atmosphere. I hate the expense of overpriced rent for just living close to work. As soon as i have my full license, i am out of here and moving to the country. I'd rather avoid overcrowded, overpriced, over knackery dublin life. It just has become so depressing in recent years. Sorry for generalising but this is really for those who just live in dublin because they work here. If i was offered the same job in the country,i would take it like that to avoid all the hustle and bussle of the mundane and repetition of living in a never ending cycle. :(:P:D

That'll do pig, that'll do..

Blue Belle wrote: »
    This attitude of people moving to Dublin from other counties and giving out about us really gets on my wick. Its generalisation and laziness. Dublin is a county not just a city. I live in Dublin (outside the pale for all you ignorant 'west Brit' accusers out there) .We've a huge choice of pubs, shops etc. and Im a 5min stroll from a mountain and a 10min drive from the sea. We have places steeped in Irish History all around. If you dont like it, leave. But dont insult us and our home and then call us rude!

Yeah just reading that maybe I went a tad overboard! :o It of course has it's great points. I live in lovely part of North County Dublin, beside the beach, it's just outside of that, the people kinda get on my nerves and as I said nobody seems (none of my mates) to want to do anything but get hammered, then complain that it's rubbish, do the same over and over instead of getting a way for a weekend and actually take in what Dublin had to offer by doing things other than drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

If you dont like the people maybe you're living in a bad area (every county has them). If you dont like the clubs then pick another one. (We have enough of them!) If you're looking for culture there are so so many places to go. One of my favourite things about Dublin is just walking down grafton st at night time. I lived in Waterford for 4 years without insulting the people there. I wish I could say the same about them.. The attitude of some people when I said I was from Dublin was the epitome of rudeness.

If you dont like the people maybe you're living in a bad area (every county has them). If you dont like the clubs then pick another one. (We have enough of them!) If you're looking for culture there are so so many places to go. One of my favourite things about Dublin is just walking down grafton st at night time. I lived in Waterford for 4 years without insulting the people there. I wish I could say the same about them.. The attitude of some people when I said I was from Dublin was the epitome of rudeness.

No I live in a very nice area. I'm not just talking about the people around here that rude, rather I'm making a sweeping generalization! :D Also, I just find a lot them samey and would rather look a certain way than having their own identity. Go to the continent and you just don't really see that all that much.

I've walked down Grafton Street at night, it's not a very long street! What exactly is it about it for you, at night?

• Advertisement

No I live in a very nice area. I'm not just talking about the people around here that rude, rather I'm making a sweeping generalization! :D Also, I just find a lot them samey and would rather look a certain way than having their own identity. Go to the continent and you just don't really see that all that much.

I've walked down Grafton Street at night, it's not a very long street! Normally when I'm walking up or down it I've to be somewhere. What exactly is it about it for you, at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dublin, Culture! LOLS!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I love the atmosphere. The buskers, the lights.. Especially at Christmas. Its too hard to appreciate it during the day but at night it just has a special feel to it I think. :)People are more abrupt in cities its a fact of life, and as for the 'samey' look, I have to disagree with you there. Maybe the business people all wear suits, and the teenagers follow the same trends but its like that everywhere! I just get annoyed defending Dublin to people who jump on the I hate Dublin bandwagon for the sake of it.

I love the atmosphere. The buskers, the lights.. Especially at Christmas. Its too hard to appreciate it during the day but at night it just has a special feel to it I think. :)People are more abrupt in cities its a fact of life, and as for the 'samey' look, I have to disagree with you there. Maybe the business people all wear suits, and the teenagers follow the same trends but its like that everywhere! I just get annoyed defending Dublin to people who jump on the I hate Dublin bandwagon for the sake of it.

I'm not talking about suits. I saw a ton of muppets in clubs tonight all wearing their scarves, inside the place...c'mon.

Special feel? I think I know it, but you get that most places at Christmas.

I would guess the scarves thing is more to do with half the population having chest infections at the moment! And Grafton St is just one thing I personally love about Dublin. I also love climbing the Dublin mountains, walking the piers in DunLaoghaire, Some of our buildings are beautiful like The GPO for eg. Go to the national art and history museums, go visit guinness, go to Kilmainham gaol, collins barracks, come to my local... trad session every wed! Maybe just enjoy all the things you cant do at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I would guess the scarves thing is more to do with half the population having chest infections at the moment! And Grafton St is just one thing I personally love about Dublin. I also love climbing the Dublin mountains, walking the piers in DunLaoghaire, Some of our buildings are beautiful like The GPO for eg. Go to the national art and history museums, go visit guinness, go to Kilmainham gaol, collins barracks, come to my local... trad session every wed! Maybe just enjoy all the things you cant do at home.

Nah even in the middle of summer those indie/ghey types still wear their scarves with a t-shirt that sports the latest uber-cool slogan.

Who cares what they wear?! In fairness if you're that judgemental then there's gonna be no pleasing you anyway! Regardless, I wouldnt go to another county and insult it and its people and I would at least make the most of what the place had to offer before judging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Who cares what they wear?! In fairness if you're that judgemental then there's gonna be no pleasing you anyway! Regardless, I wouldnt go to another county and insult it and its people and I would at least make the most of what the place had to offer before judging it.

I didn't judge. You said it was cause of a cold. I said it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

I was in Paris recently and the scarf worn at all times was all the rage with the lads over there. If it's good enough for the fashionable French ..... :pac:

No because I making a point, see my previous posts.

And it's nothing to do with chest infections, if they've chest infections what are they doing out clubbing and drinking?! Besides, indoors?!

fredzer wrote: »
    I was in Paris recently and the scarf worn at all times was all the rage with the lads over there. If it's good enough for the fashionable French ..... :pac:

Fashionable French indeed. The people I've seen are just try hards and will wear whatever everyone elses is, hence the identity thing in my previous posts. Anway, I've been up for 23 hours so I'm hittin' the hay!

Oh and all their scarfs are identical. You know it can't be a normal one, it has to look like something from Withnail and I or that. Coincidence? I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nah even in the middle of summer those indie/ghey types still wear their scarves with a t-shirt that sports the latest uber-cool slogan.
    Lolz I know the emo types you refer to! Even in the summer you see them prancing around with scarves on.

OP stop whingeing about Dublin. Compared to some of the hellholes I have been to it ain't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Lived studeied and worked in Dublin - didn't get it at all tbh..found I had to seem as if I was something I wasn't just like everyone else did and that people had a lot less time and consideration for you then other cities.

I lived on the south east and worked in grafton street so maybe it was a lot to do with that.

Sitting on dart one day after work and watching all like minded people well dressed barr a smile or a look of content was for me the deciding piont to get the flock out!

Home sweet home Galway ftw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭j.griff

Some of our buildings are beautiful like The GPO for eg. Go to the national art and history museums, go visit guinness, go to Kilmainham gaol, collins barracks, come to my local... trad session every wed! Maybe just enjoy all the things you cant do at home.

Your spot on there, I was born and lived in dublin for 20 odd years then moved to belfast, I know its not that far away, but i sure do miss dublin,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Unless county championships are enough to make you feel fulfilled, living anywhere in Ireland but Dublin is a waste of your life, if you're a youngster, IMO.

I'm coming home to Dublin next week, and I can't wait.

LOve the buskers. Last time I was at home I was strolling down Grafton street and some bloke was there playing a grand piano as if it was the most normal thing in the world :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I moved outta Dublin. I miss lots of things about living there. But seriously the place is filthy and so expensive it's just not funny. I think Dublin has lost it's identity in the last few years also. It's great how diverse and cosmo it has become but I think it may have arrived too much too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i usually go to dublin monthly, for a course i'm doing, and more often during the summer for matches.
    every time, when leaving the city, i am so thankful to be getting out of there. (cant comment on county dublin as have no experience of it)
    what gets me is the hassle, the crowds, the rushing around, the crazy traffic.
    when i walk down grafton street i long for fresh clean air and wide open spaces!
    sure, there's a greater variety of shops/restaurants/pubs etc in dublin, but there's more to life than that.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    LOve the buskers. Last time I was at home I was strolling down Grafton street and some bloke was there playing a grand piano as if it was the most normal thing in the world :P
    Nowhere in the world compares to Grafton Street on a summers day or even at Christmas for the lights like Blue Belle said and the unique Dublin vibe.

But having said that if I was given a choice to live in Dublin or Galway I would probably choose Galway.

Sorry mates :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

dSTAR wrote: »
    Nowhere in the world compares to Grafton Street on a summers day or even at Christmas for the lights like Blue Belle said and the unique Dublin vibe.

But having said that if I was given a choice to live in Dublin or Galway I would probably choose Galway.

Sorry mates :o
    That's fair enough.

I just find that, as a black man, I'm a bit less conspicuous in Dublin than Galway, where the kids kinda just stare at you :P

That's changing though.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I just find that, as a black man, I'm a bit less conspicuous in Dublin than Galway, where the kids kinda just stare at you :P

That's changing though.
    Bro I get stared at when I go to Galway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

No, I really miss it actually :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Honestly, i have no idea how people living there stand how horrifically crowded it gets in the mornings. I'm fully convinced the average person working in dublin would skullfuck their own mother to death if they thought it'd get them to where they are going five seconds quicker.

Dubin is very small compared to a lot of other well known cities. The idea that it's some kind of heaving, crowded metropolis is funny.

I <3 Dubin.

watna wrote: »
    No, I really miss it actually :(
    Watna get yourself over to The Irish Times in Melbourne this Friday. Much cheaper than a flight back to Dublin. There will be much Dublin guff spoken no doubt. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I love Dublin. Just home after living in Melbourne. Loved it there but Dublin is still number one.

I'm from the country and it's nice to go home to the green open space at the weekends but I'd miss the concerts, pubs and restaurants in Dublin if I returned to the sticks.

For me it's all about variety and Dublin has lots of that.

• Advertisement

Even though Melbourne is bigger and actually looks likes a city as far as skyline goes, I still think Dublin when it is in full effect has more of a 'city' vibe. Melbourne can be so suburban at times even within the CBD it still looms large.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement