Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you hate dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Just got a taste of Dublin in de rare oul times.....two scummers bating the bejesus out each other with a pair of crutches - crutch-a-piece whacking the snot out of each other at a bus stop on Camden Street. At rush hour ffs!!!

CRIPPLE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

dublin ah it might aswelll be in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

'Hate' takes a hell of a lot of effort. If you're not in Dublin and you go to the effort of hating it, you must have a real chip on your shoulder. :D

Well I don't hate it. I just think it's a bit of a sh*thole. Which it is tbh. It's just too easy to get sucked into this 'us & them' thing. I just find it a bit funny, your big city may as well be a town compared to my home. Dublin's sprawl without having much of note outside the city centre is what makes it pretty awful but hey, if you think that's what you have to put up with in order to not be a 'culchie' have fun with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

'Hate' takes a hell of a lot of effort. If you're not in Dublin and you go to the effort of hating it, you must have a real chip on your shoulder. :D

Or just have lived there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Or just have lived there.

Sorry nobody liked you here. Maybe you'll have more luck fitting in in a more isolated part of the country where there aren't any people around for miles. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dragan wrote: »
    LOLS

That's not judging, it's categorising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I like Dublin.

I have lived here for about 5 or 6 years, moving up from Limerick. I am originally from the mid lands. I honestly don't understand people who say that Dublin is boring.....i normally find it goes hand in hand with that person being a bit ****ing boring to be honest.

Dublin and it's surrounding area is backed with historical sites, museums, galleries and places of great natural beauty. The night life available is plenty varied ( believe me, if i can find regular Psytrance and Dubstep nights in Dublin and see the likes of Rarely Seen Above Ground, Super Extra Bonus Party and MJEX as much as i have in the last 12 months then then ONLY reason you can't find a good night out is because you are not looking ).

Plenty of support for various hobbies and interests that people can have aswell, a lot of clubs doing various things from Sport to Photography. You have further education opportuinties, live sporting events and large concerts to go and see. In the last 12 months we have had the Bulmers Comedy Festival, The Street Performance World Championships and the Kings of Concrete (twice), and the Festival of World Cultures as well. We will be having a film festival very soon. I think there was also an internation food festival.

Dublin is no different than any other major capital city....it is built around two things, local employment and tourism. If you are living and working in Dublin and are bored and hate the place then simply ask yourself why....and be honest about your efforts to entertain yourself as opposed to sitting there having a bitch and a moan because you are stupid enough to endlessly go through the cycle of work-sleep-drink-rinse-repeat.

As the old saying goes, if you find yourself bored...it's probably because you are boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's not judging, it's categorising.

I always thought that barely concealed personal opinion wrapped up and called something else was called journalism? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

bigkev49 wrote: »

Living here with 3 years now and I have to say the biggest problem with the place is the scum. Not a day goes by that I don't see some shower of pyjama wearing leeches arguing, usually over a baby dressed in a Celtic shirt.

You hit the nail on the head here! I have lived abroad for a number of years and I must say the one thing that pulls Dublin into the gutter is the endless sea of scangers (anyone for ushering in a nutering bill?). It really saddens me because this city has so much potential. A Spanish friend of mine who has been living here for three months keeps saying 'who are these sick looking people who always dress in white? They always seems to be arguing with each other' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Originally Posted by bigkev49

Living here with 3 years now and I have to say the biggest problem with the place is the scum. Not a day goes by that I don't see some shower of pyjama wearing leeches arguing, usually over a baby dressed in a Celtic shirt:

Fightin over who the father is I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Crackerspray

Maybe its just the fact that city life just isn't for everybody????:)

Im more of a suburb type myself... would love to live in the city center but don't think I'd enjoy my surroundings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The only thing that really annoys me about Dublin is how dirty and smelly the place is. Also the endless housing just looks depressing.

The actual place isn't that bad but the above points kind of ruin the place for me. It is also very hard to get around either by public transport or car since it was never designed for either (never bloody designed at all).

I'm living in Maynooth and it ain't much better at times. A lot of litter for no reason, why can't they just clean the streets? At least Maynooth doesn't smell as bad and as there are pretty much two streets and lots of parking, it is easy to get around. The endless housing estates are annoying in Maynooth though. It could do with more facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

dublins nicer at early morning ( 4-7 ish ) when theres noit many people around, the sluts are getting boothed out of houses, taxi drivers begin to head home, its peaceful...

quite nice actually...

the rest of the day is ****e. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Sorry nobody liked you here. Maybe you'll have more luck fitting in in a more isolated part of the country where there aren't any people around for miles. :)

"HURRR YOU DIDN'T LIKE DUBLIN, DURRR YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS."

honestly, *thats* your reasoning? No wonder people don't like dubs, they're like the woman in the office that's stupidly proud of their child and won't admit it has any flaws, even as the ugly little thing is currently decorating the walls with it's own feces.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Blue Belle wrote: »
    If you dont like the people maybe you're living in a bad area (every county has them). If you dont like the clubs then pick another one. (We have enough of them!) If you're looking for culture there are so so many places to go. One of my favourite things about Dublin is just walking down grafton st at night time. I lived in Waterford for 4 years without insulting the people there. I wish I could say the same about them.. The attitude of some people when I said I was from Dublin was the epitome of rudeness.
    did that not tell you something:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kold wrote: »
    Well I don't hate it. I just think it's a bit of a sh*thole. Which it is tbh. It's just too easy to get sucked into this 'us & them' thing. I just find it a bit funny, your big city may as well be a town compared to my home. Dublin's sprawl without having much of note outside the city centre is what makes it pretty awful but hey, if you think that's what you have to put up with in order to not be a 'culchie' have fun with that.

Agree.

Dublin is a couple of streets surrounded by a dirty, miserable suburbia and if you're within those few streets there is an inordinate amount of scummers.

Compared to almost anywhere else around the world Dublin is a little town and a crap unfriendly one at that. But sure if it makes the occupants feel better about living there than say.... Cork :P then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

just went out for a fag in LIT and there were dublin people out there, why its beyond me cos the way they go on i thought they burn when they pass through their county borders.

After overhearing cos thats what it was, cos the bastards were shouting to one another i established that the hatred for Dublin comes from not that its a ****hole, not that they get everything first in terms of funding etc but that it holds the most ignorant race of bastards to ever come from any part of this here world.

My idea for solving, ethnic cleansing anyone with a relative who is a purebred dub be put into a rocket and shot into the middle of the sun. Well maybe not the middle but some part of the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I grew up in the country and I have to say I hate being in Dublin. I had to spend a week there to do a course and had to commute from Blanchardstown to Dun Laoghaire every morning. The commute made me feel violated, in the morning the train was packed and in the evening when it was sunny the smell of sweat was revolting. I have never felt so alone among so many people, nobody talked at all, everybody had headphones in and nobody made eye contact. It was the same walking around.
    Sure there are plenty of things to do but they all cost money.
    Pub, cinema, shopping, you cant even walk in the parks safely.
    Anybody that thinks that Dublin is not messy take the Sligo train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vt3

No. Bit boring sometimes but thats because I'm boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

:eek: Didn't think this thread would get such a reaction. I'm not from Dublin originally. So by heart i'm a culchie so that might explain my inherent hate for the city life be it dublin or any city but i just don't see the appeal. I've been living here 2 years and lived in Maynooth for 3 which i preferred A LOT more because you're so close to the city for shopping if you really want it or going out but tbh i never really went there much, i'd much rather experience the lovely village feel that you get elsewhere in ireland other than dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Jaffa I see from your location that youre living in Sandyford. Youre 20mins from town on the luas. You have the Dublin mountains on your doorstep, have you considered going for a walk up there? If you want a country feel in a pub I highly recommend the Blue Light! Marlay Park is lovely for a picnic on a sunny day. Kilternan has the last timber church in Ireland- its beautiful! Head up to Enniskerry for a drive- go to powerscourt or knocksink.. There are countless things you could do if you opened your eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

People berating Dublin here have a chip on their shoulder against the capital, obviously. I've lived in cities all over the place and I'd rate Dublin, as being an interesting, lively place, much higher than places like Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Perth, Wellington, Auckland.

Ok so we may not be as clean as those places or have the nice weather etc, but Jesus Dublin seems like the centre of the world compared to a lot of cities. How can you hate anywhere? I spent a long time in Calgary which is one of the most boring cities in the world probably, but I managed to have a decent time and made friends and I'd never say i HATE the place, I could certainly criticise some things if I wanted to.

What do you all think of Edinburgh? Yes it's prettier than Dublin, but apart from the scenery and nice buildings it's still not got as much going on as Dublin does, it has "skangers" too, it's funny they look the EXACT same as our ones, it's overpriced etc...

It's YOUR capital whether your a Dubliner or from a different county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 tiger325

Sure it has some problems just like any other large city but I have found it to be a nice place

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Slig wrote: »
    I grew up in the country and I have to say I hate being in Dublin. I had to spend a week there to do a course and had to commute from Blanchardstown to Dun Laoghaire every morning. The commute made me feel violated, in the morning the train was packed and in the evening when it was sunny the smell of sweat was revolting. I have never felt so alone among so many people, nobody talked at all, everybody had headphones in and nobody made eye contact. It was the same walking around.
    Sure there are plenty of things to do but they all cost money.
    Pub, cinema, shopping, you cant even walk in the parks safely.
    Anybody that thinks that Dublin is not messy take the Sligo train.

If I lived in Blanch and had to commute to Dun Laoghaire, I think I would kill myself, and I'm from Dublin..

I dont like Blanch much, but would agree, that for anyone moving up from outside Dublin and finding themselves in a surburb, Dublin is not going to be a fun place to be. Commuting is unfriendly, its unfriendly in every city. This is because generally people who live in cities know, that if someone suddenly starts being "friendly" , you will most likley, quickly wish they had not.
    (asking for directions is allowed.)

It works the other way too. If I moved to the courtry, people would talk to me. They would be very nosey about my personal business, and then as often as not , waste no time in insulting me because I am from dublin, and then exclude me for the same reason. Ah but sure, would'nt ye do it in a friendly country way.

Oh and contry towns smell too !!

It takes time to make friends anywhere.

these people would probably go to Glasgow for a weekend and go on about how much fun it is. Even though it's really similar and probably even rougher...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

"lived" there for 5yrs during college,
    at first it was fun and new but at the end I couldnt wait to leave, nothing in particualr, just too busy and the people (who i know are nice people) wern't all that friendly.
    it'd be near to bottom on my list of places to live/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    these people would probably go to Glasgow for a weekend and go on about how much fun it is. Even though it's really similar and probably even rougher...

doubt it, there is a ton of people over on the travel forum claiming places like salou and tenerife are hell on earth :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Iang87 wrote: »
    just went out for a fag in LIT and there were dublin people out there, why its beyond me cos the way they go on i thought they burn when they pass through their county borders.

After overhearing cos thats what it was, cos the bastards were shouting to one another i established that the hatred for Dublin comes from not that its a ****hole, not that they get everything first in terms of funding etc but that it holds the most ignorant race of bastards to ever come from any part of this here world.

My idea for solving, ethnic cleansing anyone with a relative who is a purebred dub be put into a rocket and shot into the middle of the sun. Well maybe not the middle but some part of the sun

I feel sorry for you man.

c-note wrote: »
    it'd be near to bottom on my list of places to live/work.

That's because you're from Ireland and it's not very exciting to move to Dublin for you of course. Tonnes of people come to Dublin to live, because they really like the place. People from all over Europe, and no not just skint new EU members - there are tonnes of Italians, Spanish, Germans, Swedes etc living there that really like the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Top 50 best places in the world to live in 2008 -

http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html

No sign of Cork, or anywhere else in Ireland for that matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement