Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ah the pub i work in this guy gets a pint of Carlsberg and takes a big slug and spits most of it back in. takes about a hour and a half to drink a pint. quite disgusting too as the head of the pint is just a load of spit.

i dunno is it counted as stingy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

A few years ago a friend asked me for 80cent because he refused to break a E2 coin!!!!!!!!
    Stingy or wat!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

crashed with friends in a hotel before, done my normal standrad change drop for housekeeping about 3 or 4 euro in 20 and 10 cent coins (why do i wanna be dragging that with me for), and walked out the door, about halfway home we stopped in a garage, and one of the fella pulled a handfull of coins out and counted exactly what he needed, i said to one of the lads and he said that it was the money i left in the room, he pocketed it as he walked out,

what a low life:eek::o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gogsy

3 girls (including myself) go for a coffee in gloria jeans
    1 goes to order and buys one coffee for 2 of us to share!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭james098

Dry used teabags for reuse ewww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

gogsy wrote: »

not too surprised

them bastard$ charge about 60 euros for a nice coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

When I worked in a pub I had one or two customers who would regularly drink half a pint and then complain that it didn't taste right, then demand a new one. Once a guy even drank most of his second pint before saying the same thing and asking for a new one again!

*Back of the hand*

It's the people who "forget" it's their round that really gets to me. They will sit there with an empty glass without saying a word until someone else either gets one themself or reminds them who's round it it (upon which point they usually argue about it for 5 minutes, even if there are only 2 bloody people in the round!!).

About a week ago I was in a pub and a guy ordered a few pitchers of beer for 5 of us. Whatever the round came to, we each threw in the equivalent of (different country) a fiver. It was a a euro short after everyone had paid and he asked each of us to cough up the remainder despite the fact that this was the third or fourth round that he hadn't even paid for himself!

I wish Trent was there. The situation really merited a SNAPKICK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

My parents are temporarily living in a hotel-serviced apartment in another country, and over the holidays, one of my brother's friends came to visit and stayed for two weeks. This guy was probably the worst "guest" I've ever seen. He made and received calls on the (very expensive) house phone, even though he had a Skype-enabled laptop and iPhone. He ate like a horse, but did not once offer to buy some groceries or treat my parents to dinner, even though they took everyone out twice and cooked several times. At one point he even said to me he was waiting to see if my parents were buying dinner for everyone before he would head out to buy something for himself. And it was not like he didn't have the money: he went out every night he was here.

He also was a mess: he left wet towels everywhere, his stuff was all over the living room and bathroom (which was shared with four other people), and when he wasn't eating or partying he was sleeping on the couch midday while everyone else was trying to watch tv or otherwise go on about their business. And when he left, he left zilch for the poor housekeepers who had to clean up his mess every day.

Perhaps the worst, however, was on the second to last day when we went shopping for gifts to bring home. After buying himself a coat and several shirts, and buying scarves for his girlfriend, his baby's momma, and a few other assorted women, my brother pointed out that he hadn't bought anything for his daughter, to which his friend replied, "Aw, she got a lot of stuff for Christmas. Plus I'm short". Of course he went out on the piss that night.

When he finally left, he didn't even leave a thank-you note for my parents, much less a bottle of wine or some other small gift. He did, however, leave behind dirty socks and about ten empty shopping bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

He did, however, leave behind dirty socks and about ten empty shopping bags.

At 22 cent each, that's 2.20 he lest you there. At least if it were Ireland it would have been.

Just got back form a sesh. I was buying a lad a drink who very generously coughed up a random shot earlier in the night, so I decided to grab his mate, who was a good lad, a pint. Nice one, no problem. Later, I was beside him at the bar and trying to get a drink, so he offers to buy me one to pay me back. Sound.

A bit later, he's getting stuck in to some lass to no avail, and I get him another pint. I had to pay by card, and I figured he's a grand lad, so I'll get him this pint and I don't expect one back. (It was nearly last orders).

So when we're nearly done, (mutual friend has gone off somewhere, probably got his bit, fair play to the lad) he starts trying ot get me to go to coppers. I'm not in the mood, so I say I'll just head home. Eventually he twists my arm, and says if we can get in for a pint without paying we'll go in, if not, we'll head home-It was late, so we reckoned we might hit the sweet spot between full closure and stopping taking admission. Fair enough. He even offers to buy me a pint when we get there to sweten the deal. A few lads are coming, so I say what the hell. Sweet spot hit, and we head inside. He orders two drinks. He turns to talk to a girl, and I'm left paying for the two drinks. Hang on, I hear you think, is that not now TWO rounds I've shelled out for? Yes, indeed it is, and I barley know the lad.

So, I polish off the lovely pint I bought for myself and he's nursing the last half of his... I wait. And wait. And go to leave my empty glass on the bar, which he comes with me to do... And i wait... I'm thirsty now. So pint time it is. This lad decides now that I'm at the bar buying, he's suddenly finished his drink and stands behind me at the bar, even though there's plenty of space to come alongside if his intention is to buy a drink. F*ck this moocher, I think, and grab myself one pint. The look on the guys face is like I shot his mother (which I may well have done, but that's another story). So he buys himself a pint, paying with a fifty, and putting twenty of the change in a separate pocket for some reason. Still no sign of him buying me one back, but that's grand, can live with having bought the lad a pint.

Here's the kicker- end of the night and I run into him outside. The lads are gone home. So we decide to get ourselves home. But apparently he hasn't got enough for a taxi. He whips out the change from his pocket, and he's got around 6 or 7 quid there, but apparently he needs another tenner to get home. This is madness. Surely nobody can be such a stingebag?
    I rmeid him that he might have some extra money ina nother pocket. He denies it. I point to the pocket he put the twenty quid in earlier, and surprise surprise, there it is! Oh, he 'forgot' it was there, I'm apparently a 'lifesaver'. My a*se.

I don't mind having bought the lad a pint, even two, but this is some grade A stingy sh*te, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

garv123 wrote: »
    ... quite disgusting too as the head of the pint is just a load of spit.

that is propper rough!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

garv123 wrote: »
    ah the pub i work in this guy gets a pint of Carlsberg and takes a big slug and spits most of it back in. takes about a hour and a half to drink a pint. quite disgusting too as the head of the pint is just a load of spit.

i dunno is it counted as stingy though

That's more insane than stingy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Friend of mine had a PS3 game, and scratched the disc. Went to Xtra vision, rented the same game for a few euro and returned the box with his scratched disc in it and the Xtra vision disc remained in his home.
    MajorMax wrote: »
    That's not stingy, that's brilliant

Amateur :rolleyes:
    He should have complained to Xtra-Vision that the disc was scratched in the first place and gotten his €5.25 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Met a friend of mine in a cafe there a week or so ago. There was some biscuits or cookies at a reduced price as they were out of date on the day we were there so the shop wanted to ensure they were sold that day. My friend had one of those, and I get my tea (self service) and a cake and bring it to the till to pay. I notice she's lagging behind and I ask her if she's okay. She said she wanted a cup/glass of milk. I pointed out to where the fridge was with the small cartons of milk, but no, she wanted to get the milk after the till - the milk you put in your tea/coffee. i.e. she didn't want to pay for a small carton of milk. I am mortified she's even going to try and do this so I pay for my stuff and go over to put milk in my own tea. The girl on the till says anythign to drink when she sees the cup and she says I'm having milk, girl behind the till says I can't charge you per cup only per carton etc. So my friend says I'll just put the cup back so with this mournful look on her face. In the end the girl says oh just take it. So she got to have two glasses of milk free and a half price cookie whilst I had to pay about 5 euro for tea and a cake.

Also I'm convinced my friend was putting on an act just so I'd offer to pay. I'm not stingy with money and often treat friends to tea/coffee etc, but on principle this time I wasn't offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SparkyTech

Friend and I were once in a well known fast food establishment last year. His meal came to 8.98 or some similar figure. Handed in a 10er note. Poor girl behind the counter who didnt have great english in the first place explained nicley she didnt have any 2c's to give him back (even though he had already got 98% of his change entitlement in the form of a euro) and would he mind leaving it at that. Refused to leave untill he got his 2c back. She had to go and get the manager to put in the code for till beside hers all so stingy macmuffin could get his 2c. Ordeal took ten mins. Everyone looking on in q. Mortified was an understatement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Worked in the bar in Connolly station, Oslo, which opens at 7am..the very lowest rung of the ladder poor unfortunates would come in every morning firsat thing with shrapnel they'd presumably begged throught the night invariably for guinness.
    The manager of the place told me to only fill the pint glasses up halfway from this tap and top it up the remaining half from the other tap. The scumbag was refilling a keg with slops that were collected throughout the day which were supposed to be kept behind the bar in a tub. I had murder with him. ****in scumbag thing to do to anyone and a cheap potential health risk too.
    I left there before long.

don't drink there at all if you can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

david75 wrote: »
    Worked in the bar in Connolly station, Oslo, which opens at 7am..the very lowest rung of the ladder poor unfortunates would come in every morning firsat thing with shrapnel they'd presumably begged throught the night invariably for guinness.
    The manager of the place told me to only fill the pint glasses up halfway from this tap and top it up the remaining half from the other tap. The scumbag was refilling a keg with slops that were collected throughout the day which were supposed to be kept behind the bar in a tub. I had murder with him. ****in scumbag thing to do to anyone and a cheap potential health risk too.

Jaysus, did they not notice terrible vinegary smell or taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

A neighbour of mine used to dry disposable nappies at the fire, in all fairness she was probably more broke than stingy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

Disgusting, both the drink and the person.I'm shocked by this. Never going there.
    Rothmans wrote: »
    Jaysus, did they not notice terrible vinegary smell or taste?

You're hardly gonna complain if you're down and out, are ya? He probably just didn't want to be kicked out on the cold street.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Worked in the bar in Connolly station, Oslo

I was like, there's a Connolly Station in Oslo too? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I work as a tour guide, one of them that is with a group of people for a week or so. Most of us really hate the German coaches that come in on the ferry. I usually meet them at Dublin Port and I am with them until departure.
    They always have booze and food in the coach which the driver bought in Germany to sell to the passengers during the week.
    Needless to say it is not even legal, first to bring all the booze to Ireland and second you still need a licence to sell alcohol. Unfortunately the Garda isn't to bothered about that.
    I had groups like that who never actually tasted a Guinness because the driver had cheap lager on sale, one week and every day they eat packet soup and sausages rather than spend a few euro and get to taste something local for lunch. Often they will park the coach, eat and leave the bags of rubbish behind and sneak into a pub to use the toilets.
    Forget about a tip with these groups...once received a total of 23 euro for 8 full days from a group of 50 people. That' less than 50 cent per person. They also left me a bunch of thank you letters written on the hotels free stationary.

Other one was again with a german tour and an Irish coach. The Irish coach driver sold water bottles for 1 euro which is what every driver is doing. So there was a couple who refused to pay that saying it was to expensive. Now we stayed in a hotel that was miles outside in the sticks, at least 40 minutes walk to the nearest shop. They wanted bottled water for the room but again that was to expensive for them so they picked a fight with the hotel manager. They rang the driver in his room and told him that they changed their minds and want the 1 Euro water. Of course the Driver told them to get lost in colourful language they didn't understand. At the end they really walked all the way into the next Village at 10pm, pitchdark, cold and rainy night just to save a few cents!

Once had a group that requested to stop at the nearest Lidl so they could buy cans of beer. They said they don't want to go to the pub as it is to expensive and rather drink in the hotel room. I told them that lidl car park is not big enough for a coach! They walked to Tesco instead and smuggled the cans into the hotel dining room to have with their dinner :-S

Haha, Germans are notoriously...'thrifty'...but I don't blame them for wanting to buy beer at Lidl. It is too expensive to drink out in Ireland!

It is expensive but your on holidays for god's sake, everything except Lunch was included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't blame them one bit. Ireland is an expensive destination, even the locals find it so. Why would you get tips anyway, don't you get paid a wage?

No wages just daily rates and tips are part of our earnings.

dubbie82 wrote: »
    It is expensive but your on holidays for god's sake, everything except Lunch was included.

Well clearly drinks weren't included if people are running to Lidl! :p

And unless you are making your own sandwiches, lunch ain't cheap in Dublin either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

dubbie82 wrote: »
    No wages just daily rates and tips are part of our earnings.

No they're not. That's just what stingy bosses say to get out of paying people properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

My aunt takes the napkins from the table after everyone has finished dinner (even paper towels), and inspects them for visible soilings, if they pass her inspection, she folds them up and reuses them next time round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

gogsy wrote: »

3 girls, one cup?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

rebel10 wrote: »
    My aunt takes the napkins from the table after everyone has finished dinner (even paper towels), and inspects them for visible soilings, if they pass her inspection, she folds them up and reuses them next time round.

Thats not stingy, thats common sense. Now if she tried to clean the dirty ones..............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement