Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Cianos wrote: »
    Maybe it was the last one. If it wasn't though, that's fairly stinge!

I know. If you know someone is calling, you nip into the shop on the way of home and buy a packet of biscuits, or most people should have a packet in the cupboard anyway "just in case". However, knowing this lady, I can see how they have money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

UpCork wrote: »
    I know. If you know someone is calling, you nip into the shop on the way of home and buy a packet of biscuits, or most people should have a packet in the cupboard anyway "just in case". However, knowing this lady, I can see how they have money ;)
    That is stingy out, if i had only a few biscuit's left i'd just give the tea or coffee and say "sorry,i've no biscuit's left" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have a friend who mows the lawn(field actually) for a very wealthy guy over the summer months while mr$$$$ is holidaying in Europe.

yer man gives him 2 bottles of tesco wine for his troubles.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

goat2 wrote: »
    dont know how embarrassed they would be
    In broad daylight digging up your lawn ?

No embarassment at all. None whatsoever.

Unless it's made perfectly clear that they are being watched and there are consequences then there is no reason for them to change their behaviour.

Pity you didn't video them. Then name and shame because they are probably doing that sort of stuff to other neighbours, and worse innocent people may have been blamed.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

She's not, she was only an employee, not the owner, she probably would have gotten a serious earful had the till not added up at the end of the day.
    actually would have been worse if the till had balanced.

I know someone who worked in a bookies and used to be able to balance his till every day, but had to invent a discrepancy as otherwise they would suspect that there was some scam going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

In broad daylight digging up your lawn ?

No embarassment at all. None whatsoever.

Unless it's made perfectly clear that they are being watched and there are consequences then there is no reason for them to change their behaviour.

Pity you didn't video them. Then name and shame because they are probably doing that sort of stuff to other neighbours, and worse innocent people may have been blamed.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
    they were caught by someone else doing something else, and got burned,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

At the stake? Harsh, but I'm going to say fair.

they were caught by someone else doing something else, and got burned,
    they don't know they were caught
    so they probably still think they got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

jellybeans wrote: »
    on that topic I hate going out for meals with big groups of people, Im a vegetarian and don't drink so I always get stung. The last time I was out on a work night I got a starter of hummos and bread dip and for my main i ordered a salad (they brought me a starter portion) and it cost me 55 euro! I was rightly cheesed off because they spilt the bill NO MATTER WHAT you've eaten on drank :(

I'd do that purposely if someone invited a teetotallaing vegetarian on one of our nights out. Good nights out are about sharing everything that's on the table, not about spending twenty minutes disecting the bill.

And I suppose you're a teetotalling vegetarian for health reasons, yeah yeah, you're medically certified as boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Thats not only ignorant but pretty offensive. I doubt Jellybeans gives a rats ass whether you think they'd be fun to go out with or not. And when I go for meals with my friends its more about actually being out with my friends than worrying about whether they're drinking alcohol and eating meat. What an exciting life you must lead! And splitting the bill is crap anyways, as I've said in this thread before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I'd do that purposely if someone invited a teetotallaing vegetarian on one of our nights out. Good nights out are about sharing everything that's on the table, not about spending twenty minutes disecting the bill.

And I suppose you're a teetotalling vegetarian for health reasons, yeah yeah, you're medically certified as boring.

Bit stingy on the empathy aren't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Warning for dazed+confused

Abuse

owenc wrote: »
    My dad does my head in.. heres a list of SOME of the things he does. (every friggen week he starts new tight things:mad:).

-Turns off the shower when you've only been in it for 5 minutes and you are covered in soap, he says its wasting money. (like he can't afford it in a friggen 8 bedroomed house.) :mad::rolleyes:
    -Doesn't let us eat more than two snacks in an hour because he will have to wash two dishes and he can't be bothered.
    -Never goes into the shop, makes my poor sister go in everysingle morning to get his paper.
    -Makes hang up the washing and then comes out and tells us its hung up wrong, what way do you bloody hang them up there is no bloody way!:mad:
    -Sometimes we volunteer to do stuff for him and then he says that its all wrong and shouts for like an hour after, after us volunteering.:(
    -Makes us get up at 10 in the summer and never lets us lie in.
    -Never gets us any sweets, he makes us pay for it ourself.
    -Puts a lock on everything so that we can't use it when we want to.:eek:.
    -Acts like a baby.
    -Annoys us so much with his ways that he makes everyone cranky and then when my mum shouts at him he says that shes backing me up, when shes only trying to get peace for us.
    -Nags me everytime i see him.
    -Sends us outside for hours in the summer because he doesn't want to see us.
    -Never takes us out anywhere in summer because he can't be bothered and his excuse is "i never got that when i was a wane" (so my mother has to take the day off, of work out of her leave to take us out.)

The list can go on, next he'll be locking the fridge, so we can't get food.

Not sure that any of this is stingy, just sounds like he resents having children. Sounds like he had a bad time of it himself though and so maybe he doesn't know how to act. The church has a lot to answer for, its still messing up this country with all the damage it did to previous generations.

tommy21 wrote: »
    Bit stingy on the empathy aren't we?

If it was a "personal issues" forum then that's the place for empathy. In a stingy thread in AH then surely we're looking for signs of stingyness? Motion towards person eating the side salad on the side of a glass of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

The church has a lot to answer for, its still messing up this country with all the damage it did to previous generations.

How can you blame nordy owen's dad's stinginess on the church???

He's a protestant acually father...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

i was shocked, speechless, it was a low blow, they had some neck, coming on others property when they were supposed to be out, i would not go inside their gate if i knew they were out, lock everything since, i have not told my children even though now they are adults, and the worst is they went to school with this persons children, and they always got drives to and from school from me, they still dont have a clue that i was watching them that morning, it is just something i was embarrissed to bring up with them, dont know how embarrassed they would be, i would not bother telling them now,
    but i would, just for the purpose of showing them up, i mean you did thea favour for them to steal from you? out of order
    She's not, she was only an employee, not the owner, she probably would have gotten a serious earful had the till not added up at the end of the day.

Congrats, you harassed a penny out of a child because her boss can't manage their shop, this is in the right thread all right, but not for the reason you think.
    i used to work on tills, even once 1cent under i had to listen to mr hanky(his actual surname) moan for 20 mins
    I've come across the likes of you before, very generous with other peoples money.
    The scorpy kid in a garage made no apologies for not having sufficient change in her till, so I said why not give me 2c and I'll owe you..

(in a scorpy kids accent) "I'm not allowed to do dah"..

With the que building she thought she'd embarass me, and stood up, dug out a cent from her jeans, and says "here!",

I sais thanks very much, and just dropped it into the SVDP box beside the till and walked out. :D
    its 1cent? seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

At the salad bar in Dunnes, I saw a woman put some salad in the box, weigh it and stick the label on, and then put more salad in it

As stingy as it is genius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Daemos wrote: »
    At the salad bar in Dunnes, I saw a woman put some salad in the box, weigh it and stick the label on, and then put more salad in it

As stingy as it is genius.............

................as it is old. Seriously that "trick" has been around since around 5 minutes after the invention of the self service scales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Know a man who went to the shop one day to do a bit of shopping. When the cashier asked him did he want a bag, he said he did but he wasn't going paying for it. She gave him a bag. The man went home and was inspecting his receipt and noticed he had been charged 22c for the bag and felt he had been taken advantage off.

He went back to the same shop the next day to buy the paper and demanded that the 22c for the bag be taken from the price of the paper. Instead of paying €1.90 for the paper, he instead paid €1.68.

Tight as..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Daemos wrote: »

As stingy as it is genius
    Seen a post on here where someone mentioned the Junkies help themselves at the salad bars "NOM NOM NOM"

shudders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

this happened eighteen years ago,
    i was new to gardening, so one day i bought about one hundred daffodills they were on offer for a fiver, when on my way home from town i picked up a neighbour, the neighbour saw the daffs and made the comment i bought alot, home i got and planted the bulbs in batches of ten, while speaking with neighbour on way home i told them that i would plant them straight away,
    and while speaking to the neighbour i told them i had a doctors appointment at eleven o clock which was two hours drive from me the following day, well the following day early i got a call to say that i should not come in but leave it for the following day, so i slept in until ten got up made me some tea, while in my slippers walking around house as i was not feeling great it was misty outside, when i looked out window, who was there but said neighbour with a childs spade and bucket digging up all i had planted, i was raging of course, but held my breadth and watched quietly as i had mesh curtains to look through, so a day later when i cooled down, i decided to buy double the amount of daffs and put them in to where i had originally put them, i can only emagine what thee neighbour must of thought when they saw i had double the amount come up when they had not let a bulb there in the first place, to this day i have never said a word about this to anyone nor the neighbour, i would not mind but they knew i was fairly ill in the first place, that is what my good deed got me in picking them up and bringing them home in the first place, but i did and could not trust the person again

I think you missed a golden opportunity there. If it were me, I would of bought some more daffodill seeds the next day. Pop into the neighbor, start a speil about the daffodil conversation ye had the other day, and tell them you bought them some seeds in town seeing as he/she seemed so interested in them. The look of concealed guilt/shame on their face would be satisfaction enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think you missed a golden opportunity there. If it were me, I would of bought some more daffodill seeds the next day. Pop into the neighbor, start a speil about the daffodil conversation ye had the other day, and tell them you bought them some seeds in town seeing as he/she seemed so interested in them. The look of concealed guilt/shame on their face would be satisfaction enough.
    Or sneak into his yard late an night and plant the seeds in his lawn spelling out the word Cúnt and watch over time as your revenge grows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

A friend was invited to a 21st a few years ago. Him and 3 of his friends were heading over to the party together so one of them suggested they get one card and put €25 in each...anyways one guy in the group is know for being tight so when they were getting the money together he would only give €21, so instead of subsidising for him they wrote on the bottom of the card who the €21 was from...although i dont think it would have taken too long to work out, he's notorious for being mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Clogsworth wrote: »
    A friend was invited to a 21st a few years ago. Him and 3 of his friends were heading over to the party together so one of them suggested they get one card and put €25 in each...anyways one guy in the group is know for being tight so when they were getting the money together he would only give €21, so instead of subsidising for him they wrote on the bottom of the card who the €21 was from...although i dont think it would have taken too long to work out, he's notorious for being mean!

You gave €25 each!!!!! :eek: Wish I invited you and your friends to my 21st - even your 'stingy' friend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Seriously? I thought €21 was the standard for a 21st. I gave my mate a €100 note for his.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Quazzie wrote: »
    Seriously? I thought €21 was the standard for a 21st. I gave my mate a €100 note for his.

Can i be your friend? My birthday is coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Clogsworth wrote: »

Friend of mine's 21st. Few people did the same thing, 1 big card with money thrown in. Since there was an irregular amount of money in there they decided to break it down, it read something like, "John - 21 euro, Paul - 21 euro, Sarah - best wishes". The girl didn't even bother to give the fella a few quid at his birthday. She was a primary school teacher living at home, with extremely wealthy parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

Quazzie wrote: »

I think it was just so they would have an even €100 in the card, rather than €84... bear in mind this was back in pre recession days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

In a McDonald's in Paris there not a long ago and there was a lad waiting around until people put their leftovers in a bin before taking them back out and munching away on them. Disgusting stuff.

Maybe he was just doing it to survive...

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Know of a lad who was in this competition on TV. He then uses the work phone to ring in a load of votes so that he wins. Ends up costing a couple of grand. Some neck on him!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement