Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

serves the shop for trying the ole X.99 con job.
    x.99 was used to force the less than honest cashiers to ring in the price and open the till for the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

si_guru wrote: »
    x.99 was used to force the less than honest cashiers to ring in the price and open the till for the change.

That's a load. It's purpose is make the price seem lower than it is.

Edit: In fact, here's a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

goat2 wrote: »
    this happened eighteen years ago,
    i was new to gardening, so one day i bought about one hundred daffodills they were on offer for a fiver, when on my way home from town i picked up a neighbour, the neighbour saw the daffs and made the comment i bought alot, home i got and planted the bulbs in batches of ten, while speaking with neighbour on way home i told them that i would plant them straight away,
    and while speaking to the neighbour i told them i had a doctors appointment at eleven o clock which was two hours drive from me the following day, well the following day early i got a call to say that i should not come in but leave it for the following day, so i slept in until ten got up made me some tea, while in my slippers walking around house as i was not feeling great it was misty outside, when i looked out window, who was there but said neighbour with a childs spade and bucket digging up all i had planted, i was raging of course, but held my breadth and
    watched quietly as i had mesh curtains to look through, so a day later when i cooled down, i decided to buy double the amount of daffs and put them in to where i had originally put them, i can only what thee neighbour must of thought when they saw i had double the
    amount come up when they had not let a bulb there in the first place, to this
    day i have never said a word about this to anyone nor the neighbour, i would
    not mind but they knew i was fairly ill in the first place, that is what my good
    deed got me in picking them up and bringing them home in the first place, but
    i did and could not trust the person again

Jaysus that is shocking. It would have been sweeter though if you dug up the stolen daffodils and stuck a load of cannabis seeds there instead:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

i was new to gardening, so one day i bought about one hundred daffodills they were on offer for a fiver, when on my way home from town i picked up a neighbour, the neighbour saw the daffs and made the comment i bought alot, home i got and planted the bulbs in batches of ten, while speaking with neighbour on way home i told them that i would plant them straight away,
    and while speaking to the neighbour i told them i had a doctors appointment at eleven o clock which was two hours drive from me the following day, well the following day early i got a call to say that i should not come in but leave it for the following day, so i slept in until ten got up made me some tea, while in my slippers walking around house as i was not feeling great it was misty outside, when i looked out window, who was there but said neighbour with a childs spade and bucket digging up all i had planted, i was raging of course, but held my breadth and watched quietly as i had mesh curtains to look through, so a day later when i cooled down, i decided to buy double the amount of daffs and put them in to where i had originally put them, i can only emagine what thee neighbour must of thought when they saw i had double the amount come up when they had not let a bulb there in the first place, to this day i have never said a word about this to anyone nor the neighbour, i would not mind but they knew i was fairly ill in the first place, that is what my good deed got me in picking them up and bringing them home in the first place, but i did and could not trust the person again

Probably the worst thing I've read on this thread. Unreal to think that there are people out there who would go to the trouble of digging up €5 worth of flowers, you'd laugh if it weren't so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Probably the worst thing I've read on this thread. Unreal to think that there are people out there who would go to the trouble of digging up €5 worth of flowers, you'd laugh if it weren't so pathetic.
    they were the good old days when charlie was in power telling us to tighten our belts, while his own was good and loose, we had huge interest rates on our mortgages, it was a struggle to survive, when you bought half pound of butter instead of the pound. buying everything in smaller quantity just to survive a few more days to pay day, fiver on petrol, a fiver would just about keep lawnmower going these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

The bould charlie wasn't in power 18 years ago! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I guy who used to drink in the pub I worked in used to keep the empty cans his of 7up his wife would get with her vodka, he said he collects them and every couple of weeks he used to sell the bags of empty cans :D stingey animal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

In Spain, the Catalans are known for their stinginess. I always put this down as a regional stereotype until I did my few months Erasmus there. Then I noticed that it's a very common sight in restaurants all over Barcelona to see the locals examining their bill with a fine toothcomb, dividing up the prices of the dishes between each person (all fine there), but then to go even further a lot of them will start counting up how many olives someone had/how many pieces of bread one person ate/who drank the most water or wine. It's really staggering to hear it happening!

Actually the Catalans stinginess has meant that the restaurant on the top floor of El Corte Inglés in the centre of Barcelona has had to become self-service because none of the staff would serve locals and would always go to tourists or other Spaniards first as they were far more likely to tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Caveman1 wrote: »
    I guy who used to drink in the pub I worked in used to keep the empty cans his of 7up his wife would get with her vodka, he said he collects them and every couple of weeks he used to sell the bags of empty cans :D stingey animal

Not really stingey at all. It's economically sound and environmentally sound.

The bould charlie wasn't in power 18 years ago! ;)
    how long ago was he in power then, still we had remnants of him for a long time after

• Advertisement

Caveman1 wrote: »
    when he bought the drink, he paid for can anyway, so he is getting a fraction for what he paid for the can anyway,

si_guru wrote: »
    when i worked behind till, we always kept a small glass of the one cents, was handy when the change would be one cent, i just think it is wrong of a shop to keep back change, and this 99 cent thing is only fooling people into thinking an item is cheaper anyway, when in fact the shop had a good markup on the price they paid for it in the first place, i wonder if the lady had 14.90 would she be let have the book,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

and while speaking to the neighbour i told them i had a doctors appointment at eleven o clock which was two hours drive from me the following day, well the following day early i got a call to say that i should not come in but leave it for the following day, so i slept in until ten got up made me some tea, while in my slippers walking around house as i was not feeling great it was misty outside, when i looked out window, who was there but said neighbour with a childs spade and bucket digging up all i had planted, i was raging of course, but held my breadth and watched quietly as i had mesh curtains to look through, so a day later when i cooled down, i decided to buy double the amount of daffs and put them in to where i had originally put them, i can only emagine what thee neighbour must of thought when they saw i had double the amount come up when they had not let a bulb there in the first place, to this day i have never said a word about this to anyone nor the neighbour, i would not mind but they knew i was fairly ill in the first place, that is what my good deed got me in picking them up and bringing them home in the first place, but i did and could not trust the person again

The nieghbour would have got a shock if you had out to your back door with a cup of tea and said asked him what he was doing

Bob Z wrote: »
    The nieghbour would have got a shock if you had out to your back door with a cup of tea and said asked him what he was doing
    i was shocked, speechless, it was a low blow, they had some neck, coming on others property when they were supposed to be out, i would not go inside their gate if i knew they were out, lock everything since, i have not told my children even though now they are adults, and the worst is they went to school with this persons children, and they always got drives to and from school from me, they still dont have a clue that i was watching them that morning, it is just something i was embarrissed to bring up with them, dont know how embarrassed they would be, i would not bother telling them now,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd have either gone out and made the ****er re-plant them all or I'd have filmed him and called the cops and/or put it on youtube. It wouldn't be the lost fiver that would upset me - it'd be the effort of planting them gone to waste. I'd have made sure he suffered for it.

I'd have either gone out and made the ****er re-plant them all or I'd have filmed him and called the cops and/or put it on youtube. It wouldn't be the lost fiver that would upset me - it'd be the effort of planting them gone to waste. I'd have made sure he suffered for it.
    it was the hard work digging new ground at the time and putting in good soil that was most bother, but they would get fright if they were a member of this forum, they would know it is them, and finding out i knew what they did that summer, i guess they would find it hard to look at me with shame,

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

it was the hard work digging new ground at the time and putting in good soil that was most bother, but they would get fright if they were a member of this forum, they would know it is them, and finding out i knew what they did that summer, i guess they would find it hard to look at me with shame,

The question is, do you still know what they did that summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

I work on tills. One day had no pennies left in my till. Ladies book came to €15.99, she gave me €20 and I gave her back an even €4. She said, wasn't the change supposed to be €4.01.

She made me call a manager to open the other till to give her back her penny.
    I've come across the likes of you before, very generous with other peoples money.
    The scorpy kid in a garage made no apologies for not having sufficient change in her till, so I said why not give me 2c and I'll owe you..

(in a scorpy kids accent) "I'm not allowed to do dah"..

With the que building she thought she'd embarass me, and stood up, dug out a cent from her jeans, and says "here!",

I sais thanks very much, and just dropped it into the SVDP box beside the till and walked out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I've come across the likes of you before, very generous with other peoples money.
    The scorpy kid in a garage made no apologies for not having sufficient change in her till, so I said why not give me 2c and I'll owe you..

With the que building she thought she'd embarass me, and stood up, dug out a cent from her jeans, and says "here!",

I sais thanks very much, and just dropped it into the SVDP box beside the till and walked out. :D

Taking a stand were we? No better way to do over a cent and getting one up on a kid making minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

She's not, she was only an employee, not the owner, she probably would have gotten a serious earful had the till not added up at the end of the day.

Congrats, you harassed a penny out of a child because her boss can't manage their shop, this is in the right thread all right, but not for the reason you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

She's not, she was only an employee, not the owner, she probably would have gotten a serious earful had the till not added up at the end of the day.

Congrats, you harassed a penny out of a child because her boss can't manage their shop, this is in the right thread all right, but not for the reason you think.

From my not inconsiderable retail experience, tills rarely square off to zero at the end of the day, it's almost guaranteed to expect a variance of some sort. The company I was in had a threshold of €5 above or below what was expected before it had to be reported to management. Only once in three years did the tills add up correctly down to the penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Well if the "all those pennys add up" argument here is valid for the customer, then its valid for the employee :p

The point is she was just doing as she was supposed to, she can't be deemed in the wrong for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Well if the "all those pennys add up" argument here is valid for the customer, then its valid for the employee :p

The point is she was just doing as she was supposed to, she can't be deemed in the wrong for that.

She is supposed to look after the customer in so far as is practicable, not to ensure that a customer is lost over the sake of saving a penny or a cent. Good customer service dictates that giving the customer a penny over what they were owed from the till is better than risking losing a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

She wouldn't have got an earful over one cent. The managers normally allowa couple of euro deficit.

I know someone who rigs the self-service checkouts in Tesco to get Tim Horton doughnuts for 35c as opposed to €1:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

it was more her stinking poxy attitude that got on my nerves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

We used to go across the road for breakfest rolls at 11 o clock when i was in school,it was a small cafe that done rolls for the students for €2.50....but 1 of my mates never had money and used to go around the class and skab 50 cent of 5 people!! we'd all get a can with our roll but he'd gather all the little milk jugs off the tables and drink them!! you know the ones left on the table for people drinking tea....one time we got lucnh at another place and when we were walking up to pay he told me he had no money and asked me to pay for him,i only had enough to pay for my own food and said i couldnt pay for his...we stopped for a minute trying to think of what to do until(without telling me) he just legged it out of place and down the road!! when i payed they asked where he was after goin ...i said i think he's just out on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Don't know if this is stingey or cheap but a friend of mine was involved in a voluntary organisation and one evening she (she was the secretary) had to go to the chairpreson's house to go through some documents before the next meeting. The chairperson is quite well to do beautiful, big home etc. Anyway, the lady goes to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. She re appears with the cups of tea and on the biscuit plate is one after eight divided into four pieces. Basically she offered her guest half an after eight. The box must last her a life time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

i was new to gardening, so one day i bought about one hundred daffodills they were on offer for a fiver, when on my way home from town i picked up a neighbour, the neighbour saw the daffs and made the comment i bought alot, home i got and planted the bulbs in batches of ten, while ......................................................................................... that is what my good deed got me in picking them up and bringing them home in the first place, but i did and could not trust the person again

Thats not stinginess. Your neighbours a fcuking thief, plain and simple.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I work with a Yorkshire man that puts labels with his name on them on his teabags in the canteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

UpCork wrote: »
    Don't know if this is stingey or cheap but a friend of mine was involved in a voluntary organisation and one evening she (she was the secretary) had to go to the chairpreson's house to go through some documents before the next meeting. The chairperson is quite well to do beautiful, big home etc. Anyway, the lady goes to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. She re appears with the cups of tea and on the biscuit plate is one after eight divided into four pieces. Basically she offered her guest half an after eight. The box must last her a life time!!!

Maybe it was the last one. If it wasn't though, that's fairly stinge!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement