Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Donny5 wrote: »
    There's only one way to be sure, an experiment. I maintain that it would take boiling temperatures to evaporate all the alcohol and that at room temperature in a bottle, only a very low percentage would evaporate.

What? perfume evaporates all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There's only one way to be sure, an experiment. I maintain that it would take boiling temperatures to evaporate all the alcohol and that at room temperature in a bottle, only a very low percentage would evaporate.
    The more important variable is if the cap was left on the old bottles. If the cap is still there then the alcohol has nowhere to go but evaporate and condense again. If the cap is missing then it will eventually evaporate away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

bluewolf wrote: »

Perfume relies on airflow to cause evaporation of the solvent. In addition, perfumes tend to have lots of alcohol and not very much water, which means a protective layer of water vapour is unlikely to form. In addition, in the short term, evaporation cools the entire liquid, slowing evaporation again. On top of this, nearly empty spirits bottles have a lot of cool surface area for the alcohol vapour to condense upon before it leaves the bottle. As I said, the only way to be sure is to do an experiment, which I will do if I can get my hands on a refractometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JohnMagic

I had breakfast in a friends parents house a couple of months back.

The whole family put the left over milk from their cereal back into the milk jug through a sieve when they were finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

JohnMagic wrote: »

The whole family put the left over milk from their cereal back into the milk jug through a sieve when they were finished.

EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Imagine if someone had Coco Pops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Not that is too stingy... the milk would be full of sugar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Oh Jesus. And could milk get any cheaper in the shops FFS? Even Supervalu etc. have their own brand!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

There's only one way to be sure, an experiment.

Agreed.
    You hit the lab, I'll start drinking a years supply of vodka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

But wouldn't all the alcohol have evaporated off over the year ?
    Not unless he stored them above 78.4 Centigrade, the boiling point of ethanol.
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Evaporation can happen below the boiling point.
    Yeah, but below the boiling point, considering it's in a bottle, the air around the liquid's surface will quickly saturate with vapour and then evaporation will slow enormously.
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes it would slow but apparently we're talking about a period of a year. And regardless the fact remains that the bottles wouldn't have to be stored at the boiling point of alcohol for it to evaporate. Water vapour can exist at 0 degrees.
    Knasher wrote: »
    The more important variable is if the cap was left on the old bottles. If the cap is still there then the alcohol has nowhere to go but evaporate and condense again. If the cap is missing then it will eventually evaporate away.
    Perfume relies on airflow to cause evaporation of the solvent. In addition, perfumes tend to have lots of alcohol and not very much water, which means a protective layer of water vapour is unlikely to form. In addition, in the short term, evaporation cools the entire liquid, slowing evaporation again. On top of this, nearly empty spirits bottles have a lot of cool surface area for the alcohol vapour to condense upon before it leaves the bottle. As I said, the only way to be sure is to do an experiment, which I will do if I can get my hands on a refractometer.

index_5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

To hell with that. I've been stuck on DART for hours because some selfish prick decided to top himself. If you're going to traumatise a driver and delay thousands of people, don't expect any sympathy.

now i do have complete sympathy for the family of the person who decided to kill themselves, and i do feel very sorry that the person felt their lives were so crap that they needed to kill themselves, but i can completely understand the other side of the argument.

i was on the tube (london underground fyi) coming back from the o2 (went to see the spice girls reunion their few yrs ago) when someone chucked themselves under the tube. we didn't know this at first, we were just stopped in this tunnel at half eleven at night, with announcements that their was a delay and we would be going soon. eventually got told we would be there for a while cos someone had committed suicide. we were stuck in that tunnel til one am, and then had to continue our journey (we were going to the end of the line). didn't get back to our hotel til gone 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

hdowney wrote: »
    i was on the tube (london underground fyi) coming back from the o2 (went to see the spice girls reunion their few yrs ago) when someone chucked themselves under the tube.
    Presume they were at the same concert? :eek: :D

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Bloody hell, there's fair stingyness with a bit of compassion on this thread. To all you people complaining about the train suicides, what if that was your mother or father or son/daughter that decided to end their own lives? If waiting a few minutes pi$$es you off, imagine how tormented those suicide victims felt that they deliberately ended it all! I honestly dont know whether I'm disgusted, sad, or angry with you all:cool::confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭irelandrover

newmug wrote: »
    Bloody hell, there's fair stingyness with a bit of compassion on this thread. To all you people complaining about the train suicides, what if that was your mother or father or son/daughter that decided to end their own lives? If waiting a few minutes pi$$es you off, imagine how tormented those suicide victims felt that they deliberately ended it all! I honestly dont know whether I'm disgusted, sad, or angry with you all:cool::confused::mad:

But I don't know them. So all they are to me is a delay in my travel. Of course it is going to annoy me.

Back on topic, I used to live with one guy who wouldnt buy washing up liquid. If anyone else bought it he would use it so it wasn't that he didnt like the taste or anything, he was just too tight to buy it himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But I don't know them. So all they are to me is a delay in my travel. Of course it is going to annoy me.

Back on topic, I used to live with one guy who wouldnt buy washing up liquid. If anyone else bought it he would use it so it wasn't that he didnt like the taste or anything, he was just too tight to buy it himself.

what

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SpionJoe

The previous owners of my brothers house took the light-bulbs with them when they moved out. This was 10 years ago before the enerygy saving type were available. They were so mean I bet they could peel an orange in their pocket. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭irelandrover

what

Yeah, i realised after i posted what it looked like. When i have told other people they have claimed that maybe he doesnt like the scent or possible taste it leaves on plates/cups,cutlery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Yeah, i realised after i posted what it looked like. When i have told other people they have claimed that maybe he doesnt like the scent or possible taste it leaves on plates/cups,cutlery

What scent/taste? If you rinse it off you don't taste anything. You are obviously using the cheaper stuff and not Fairy Liquid (TM).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

this happened eighteen years ago,
    i was new to gardening, so one day i bought about one hundred daffodills they were on offer for a fiver, when on my way home from town i picked up a neighbour, the neighbour saw the daffs and made the comment i bought alot, home i got and planted the bulbs in batches of ten, while speaking with neighbour on way home i told them that i would plant them straight away,
    and while speaking to the neighbour i told them i had a doctors appointment at eleven o clock which was two hours drive from me the following day, well the following day early i got a call to say that i should not come in but leave it for the following day, so i slept in until ten got up made me some tea, while in my slippers walking around house as i was not feeling great it was misty outside, when i looked out window, who was there but said neighbour with a childs spade and bucket digging up all i had planted, i was raging of course, but held my breadth and watched quietly as i had mesh curtains to look through, so a day later when i cooled down, i decided to buy double the amount of daffs and put them in to where i had originally put them, i can only emagine what thee neighbour must of thought when they saw i had double the amount come up when they had not let a bulb there in the first place, to this day i have never said a word about this to anyone nor the neighbour, i would not mind but they knew i was fairly ill in the first place, that is what my good deed got me in picking them up and bringing them home in the first place, but i did and could not trust the person again

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Reads like a padraigg story!
    you see, that when i came round from the shock of neighbour digging up my bulbs, i thought i would have a bit of fun and plant double in each hole so that they would be shocked, as to whether they let some there, or that i had them copped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I work on tills. One day had no pennies left in my till. Ladies book came to €15.99, she gave me €20 and I gave her back an even €4. She said, wasn't the change supposed to be €4.01.

She made me call a manager to open the other till to give her back her penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

goat2 wrote: »
    you see, that when i came round from the shock of neighbour digging up my bulbs, i thought i would have a bit of fun and plant double in each hole so that they would be shocked, as to whether they let some there, or that i had them copped
    I wouldn't have let that lie.

I'd imagine if he heard you were going to hospital for a week he would ransack your house.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If people don't want to read the thread any more then quietly unsubscribe and move on to the next one. No more bitching please.
    A round of posts deleted.
    Now please back to the stingy, mean, miserly cheapness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I work on tills. One day had no pennies left in my till. Ladies book came to €15.99, she gave me €20 and I gave her back an even €4. She said, wasn't the change supposed to be €4.01.

The trick is to ask the cashier for 2c and say you'll owe them one. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

As one of friends says, it's not the principle, It's the money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭mikedone

Back in the mists of long ago when I shared a house with other students we took it in turns to buy stuff we all used like the milk, sugar etc and when it came to one fella's turn for the sugar he went around all the local cafes making out in each one that he was looking for someone and taking a handful of sugar sachets each time, he did the same with ketchup. Although we all used to help ourselves to toilet roll from the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

If she had €15.98 even, would you have sold the book to her?

si_guru wrote: »
    If she had €15.98 even, would you have sold the book to her?
    it was still her cent, could you have given her two cent change, rather than lose a customer, after all i am sure there is a nice little profit made in the book at that anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

serves the shop for trying the ole X.99 con job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Soups123

had a weekend party, we all bought trays of beer, we drank Fri, Sat, Sun lads all kipt in my place ate etc. On the Monday night knock on the door from one of the lads who leaves a good few mile away saying he reckons he had 2/3 cans of Stella left could I have a look round, no sign of. That night a text went out to all asking if anyone took his 3 cans home by accident!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement