Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yesno1234 wrote: »
    College last year we kept a kind of collection of all of our finished vodka bottles, one of the lads 'recycled' the left over drops in all the finshed bottles to save money on drink one night.
    But wouldn't all the alcohol have evaporated off over the year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Went for a pint last night with a fairly good friend of mine who I hadn't seen since Christmas, as he lives abroad.

Apparently I owed him a pint from the last time.

He's known for it amongst our group of friends. If we were to go for a few pints, and I'd buy the first round, he'd say "will we leave it at that?" after 3 or 5. On the rare occasion he'd get the first ones in he'd say the same after 4 or 6. Sound guy, stingy ****er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Not unless he stored them above 78.4 Centigrade, the boiling point of ethanol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

In a McDonald's in Paris there not a long ago and there was a lad waiting around until people put their leftovers in a bin before taking them back out and munching away on them. Disgusting stuff.

I don't think that is stingy, sounds more like survival. He was probably homeless and really hungry :( I find that more sad than disgusting. I think if I saw someone doing that I'd buy them a burger and fries :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Sunshine! wrote: »
    Have seen a lot of stinginess in my time so I'll just go for a funny one:
    When I lived with my ex, I did all the money earning, the cooking AND the cleaning pretty much and a couple of weeks later he got a job elsewhere and forgot about me til he came back to get his stuff. He took the toothpaste as well -.-

That's not so much stinginess, as just being a using cnut!
    nuxxx wrote: »
    got a lift home from a co-worker a while back and he told me his friends were going down to his for the weekend, hasent seen them in years etc

he pulled into dunnes and bought himself a 8 pack of smithwicks and drove the car off

then he pulled into lidl and brought some really cheap cans, ya know like the excelsior ones etc that go for 50cent ( they're rank, your guarenteed to puke after a few of them )

i asked him why did he stop in two places, he said "ah the cheap stuff is for me mates, i wouldn't be caught dead drinking it"

always thought he was a tightarse but that proved it
    LighterGuy wrote: »
    Thats a tough one.
    On one hand its bad that he invites his mates down, buys the good stuff for himself then the crap for the mates.

But on the other hand he is still buying them beer. While most would say "bring your own drink" - so its a tough call. However if he stated "sure i'll get ya cans if you come down" (to entice) but then buys the good stuff for himself, then the crap for the mates.... yeah its big time stingy. But since you personally know the guy. If you say he is stingy. He has to be.

I like the thought process you seem to have gone through here! But yeah, he sounds like a stingy fecker.
    I dunno tbh, if old friends were driving down to see me I'd make sure the fridge was full of decent beer.
    Same here!
    I suppose the fact that he purposely went to two different places bugged me :)

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Your right.
    In any case its bad out to buy the good stuff for yourself, then the muck for your mates.

I think this is one of the characteristics of a truly stingy person. Laziness can often be confused with stinginess.... but in cases like these, where someone actually goes out of their way and puts in an extra effort to try to get something for nothing, or to make sure they have the best while sacraficing the quality of other people's drinks/food/(insert product here) - this is where stinginess is really shown!

That's another thing about stingy people - they go out of their way to feel like they're getting something for nothing. Whether they are or not is irrelevant. Once they think they're getting one up on everyone else. It's a mentality!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

One guy i know.ALWAYS if hes going to a house will NEVER bring his own drink. Ive wised up to him now cuz i used bring loads and he used always bum...with the usual line, oh ill pay ya back. even once he tried asking for my nagin of absolut...i think not:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

This is true!

We had a death on a construction site in an Irish company when an employee fell from a height. The fire brigade had to break down the bottom floor door to get the guy out. It was very sad.

While the MD was on site inspecting the site he said "who was going to pay for the door?". It costs about €250 to buy one.

Made me sick when I heard what he said but I was not surprised. It was a big factor in me leaving that company. It just played on my mind over time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

awww eco2live you're not serious? the guy died and hes worried about cost? it'd make ya sick:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Can't remember if I posted this one already..anyway..

Had a housemate, in her 20s, decent job - nice car etc. No financial reason for her to be scabby - BUT..

She never bought her own food. Would go home to the mammy at the weekend and come back with a load of homemade frozen dinners. Even brought milk back from her parents and used to freeze it!

She kept her cigarettes out in her car and would just go out and get one if she needed it. (This was in case any of the rest of us would think of asking her for one, despite her borrowing from everyone else).

Whenever we ordered takeaway she 'wasn't hungry' and then would sit and ask us what it tasted like and could she try some, and could she have some more, and could she have another bit.... It was always really off-putting trying to eat on front of her because she was actually like a dog - she would actually stare. Even if she was on her way to bed and discovered we were ordering a delivery she would stay up until our food arrived so she could scab some. I got fed up with that one fairly fast told her she would have to order something because she wasn't gonna eat mine! She didn't even get embarrassed by that - after that she would order something, but only one of the little side portions - never an actual dish..

Whenever we held a house party, we would make a point of warning her to remember to buy some booze for herself, but she would always arrive home emtyhanded and scab booze off the other guests. I remember on one party occasion, one of the housemates gave her his last can and then asked if she would bring him to the off licence to buy some more - she said she couldn't drive because she had drank the can and headed off to scab more from someone else. Surely one can would not have made a difference? I think she was just being scabby about using her petrol for the trip.

I'm sure there's more, but can't remember right now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

eco2live wrote: »
    This is true!

We had a death on a construction site in an Irish company when an employee fell from a height. The fire brigade had to break down the bottom floor door to get the guy out. It was very sad.

While the MD was on site inspecting the site he said "who was going to pay for the door?". It costs about €250 to buy one.

Made me sick when I heard what he said but I was not surprised. It was a big factor in me leaving that company. It just played on my mind over time and time again.

Jesus thats sick!

Reminds me of the time when i was on the Dart and it ran over someone. there was two seperate people giving out that it was making them late when the train stopped wait for the gards. I even heard one old fucker say 'you wouldnt want to be on your way to a wine tasting'

• Advertisement

Jesus thats sick!

Reminds me of the time when i was on the Dart and it ran over someone. there was two seperate people giving out that it was making them late when the train stopped wait for the gards. I even heard one old fucker say 'you wouldnt want to be on your way to a wine tasting'

To hell with that. I've been stuck on DART for hours because some selfish prick decided to top himself. If you're going to traumatise a driver and delay thousands of people, don't expect any sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Donny5 wrote: »
    To hell with that. I've been stuck on DART for hours because some selfish prick decided to top himself. If you're going to traumatise a driver and delay thousands of people, don't expect any sympathy.

well arent you delightful

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Not unless he stored them above 78.4 Centigrade, the boiling point of ethanol.

Evaporation can happen below the boiling point.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Evaporation can happen below the boiling point.

Yeah, but below the boiling point, considering it's in a bottle, the air around the liquid's surface will quickly saturate with vapour and then evaporation will slow enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yeah, but below the boiling point, considering it's in a bottle, the air around the liquid's surface will quickly saturate with vapour and then evaporation will slow enormously.

Yes it would slow but apparently we're talking about a period of a year. And regardless the fact remains that the bottles wouldn't have to be stored at the boiling point of alcohol for it to evaporate. Water vapour can exist at 0 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I knew this Scottish fella once and he picked up a fiver off the ground. Sure, it's okay for any other nationality but if your f*ckin' Scottish you're just playing into the f*ckin' stereotype.

What a f*ckin' st*ngey pr*ck, t*ght c*nt!

Another time I was in Amsterdam and this homeless guy walked by me at a bus stop and picked up a tomato off the ground and ate it.

T*ght f*ckin' b*llocks! Go to a f*ckin' s*up f*ckin' k*tchen ya st*ngey c*nt!

That also reminds me of my gr*nddad who is so f*ckin' t*ght that once the t*ght f*ckin' pr*ck smoked a f*ckin' ciggarette right down to the f*ckin' f*lter! What a f*ckin' pr*ck of an old f*ckin' b*llocks. And it's not like he's short of a few q*id cos I happen to know he has a p*nsion and his m*rtgage is paid off.

I know this other fella that hangs around in f*ckin' Spars on the hour so he can l*sten to the news on the f*ckin' r*dio and not have to p*y for the electricity to power his own radio or T.V. And I wouldn't mind on the t*ght c*nt has a 37 inch T.V.

I know this other f*ckhead that gives money to charity so that he can claim tax relief. St*ngey w*nkin' bastard.

That f*ckin' Scottish *sshole I mentioned earlier also once flew with Ry*nair instead of f*ckin' A*r Lingus just to f*ckin' save €20.00! What a t*ght f*ck. Fair enough if he was Ir*sh but did I mention this f*cker was Scottish?! C*NT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Just remembered one guy that came into me in work one day, a Wednesday.

He ordered a snack box and drink, which is about 7 quid. I punched it in, told him the price and stuck the drink on. He searched through his pockets and had only coppers so said he didn't want it. I said that was fine and that was that. He then asked me for one piece of chicken and chips, which was 4 euro. I told him the price. He then started saying he didn't get paid til the next day so I HAD to give him the food now and then he'd come in and pay me tomorrow.

I refused politely, telling him my stock and till would be short and I'd get in trouble, at which point he started giving out to me. I told him again that that wasn't possible, and I continued with my work. He refused to move from my till for about 5 minutes, just stood there staring at me. :eek: When he finally realised that I really wasn't going to give him free food, he shouted at me to get the manager. Tried the same spiel on the manager to no avail. Then spent about 10 more minutes standing staring at me, until I signalled for the security guard to remove him from the property.

This guy was hardly poor, he had on a silver watch, Nike runners and fancy jeans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I knew this Scottish fella once and he picked up a fiver off the ground. Sure, it's okay for any other nationality but if your f*ckin' Scottish you're just playing into the f*ckin' stereotype.

Another time I was in Amsterdam and this homeless guy walked by me at a bus stop and picked up a tomato off the ground and ate it.

That also reminds me of my gr*nddad who is so f*ckin' t*ght that once the t*ght f*ckin' pr*ck smoked a f*ckin' ciggarette right down to the f*ckin' f*lter! What a f*ckin' pr*ck of an old f*ckin' b*llocks. And it's not like he's short of a few q*id cos I happen to know he has a p*nsion and his m*rtgage is paid off.

I know this other fella that hangs around in f*ckin' Spars on the hour so he can l*sten to the news on the f*ckin' r*dio and not have to p*y for the electricity to power his own radio or T.V. And I wouldn't mind on the t*ght c*nt has a 37 inch T.V.

I know this other f*ckhead that gives money to charity so that he can claim tax relief. St*ngey w*nkin' bastard.

That f*ckin' Scottish *sshole I mentioned earlier also once flew with Ry*nair instead of f*ckin' A*r Lingus just to f*ckin' save €20.00! What a t*ght f*ck. Fair enough if he was Ir*sh but did I mention this f*cker was Scottish?! C*NT!

It must have taken you ages to put all those asterix in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Flincher wrote: »
    Went for a pint last night with a fairly good friend of mine who I hadn't seen since Christmas, as he lives abroad.

Apparently I owed him a pint from the last time.

He's known for it amongst our group of friends. If we were to go for a few pints, and I'd buy the first round, he'd say "will we leave it at that?" after 3 or 5. On the rare occasion he'd get the first ones in he'd say the same after 4 or 6. Sound guy, stingy ****er

Sounds like my brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I still don't understand why he censored kitchen and Grandad :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Quazzie wrote: »
    I still don't understand why he censored kitchen and Grandad :confused:
    Think they were just ripping the piss out of the people who slag others for being thrifty (as opposed to be stingy) but do so with as much vulgar language as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

First part i agree with ya but delaying people?who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Perhaps it was an accident.

Also,
    st*ngey t*ght k*tchen gr*nddad f*lter p*nsion m*rtgage l*sten r*dio p*y Ry*nair A*r Lingus
    But

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Also,
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by splendid101 viewpost.gif

:confused:

.....what? His parents weren't married when he was born, so it's not offensive.

Actually, don't get me started on his p*rents. T*ght f*cks wouldn't even spend tw*nty f*ckin' grand on a church, hotel, and meal for two h*ndred and fifty of their closest f*ckin' friends so that their son is legitimate. St*ngey f*ckin' b*stards! What a pair of b*llockses! And I wouldn't mind only the t*ght f*cks had spent three h*ndred euros each the y*ar before on medical bills and food! F*ck's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

highly embarrassing as its a family member. She is an OAP so has the free bus pass, she was doing some shopping in town (in dublin for the country folk that hate when people say town = Dublin) and bought a can of peas, when she got home, she popped into the local shop, she noticed a can of peas for 2c less, so back into town she went to get a refund on the original can of peas she bought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Why the hell did you put asterisks in all of these?

You are either a very poor troll, or completely missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

[/QUOTE]

Why the f*ck did he f*cking bother his h*le?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

greenfly wrote: »
    You are ... completely missing the point.
    Dear Mr. Pot ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mod note

Warning given to 'splendid101' for use of language.

Other posters. Please do not quote the post.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes it would slow but apparently we're talking about a period of a year. And regardless the fact remains that the bottles wouldn't have to be stored at the boiling point of alcohol for it to evaporate. Water vapour can exist at 0 degrees.

There's only one way to be sure, an experiment. I maintain that it would take boiling temperatures to evaporate all the alcohol and that at room temperature in a bottle, only a very low percentage would evaporate.
    Laika1986 wrote: »
    First part i agree with ya but delaying people?who cares?

I care. I'd rather they killed themselves in a way that didn't leave an elaborate mess that will costs hundreds of thousands to clean up. If the person doesn't think their life is worth living, then I don't think it's worth my time waiting for the clean up. They're gone, no more worries, but I still have stuff to do.
    Perhaps it was an accident.

It wasn't. It was reported as an accident in the paper, as so many Irish suicides are, but it wasn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement