Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The water on tables is just tap water, they probably weren't being stingy, more environmentally concious in not disposing of a plastic bottle every time they want a drink, and probably also concious of the lunacy of paying some ridiculous amount of money for a tiny bottle of water that has zero benefits over what's in the tap.

They should rename the celtic tiger the ballygowan era... It's just baffling to me that people would chose to pay for something that's free.

In a lot of Spain water from the tap is not acceptable for human consumption so a lot of your post could be invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Spain? Who mentioned Spain?

If the water is in a jug it came from the tap by some means, abet through a private filtration system in some countries.

Spain? Who mentioned Spain?

If the water is in a jug it came from the tap by some means, abet through a private filtration system in some countries.

He said he was on holidays. I don't recall him stating where so it could be Spain.

It's also possible to pour water from a bottle into a jug. It doesn't have to be from a tap as you stated.

I don't recall him mentioning where so I'm going to decide where for myself? That makes sense...

Possible, but idiotic, if you're going to pay to give people free water you let them know where it comes from - good advertising.

I don't recall him mentioning where so I'm going to decide where for myself? That makes sense...

Possible, but idiotic, if you're going to pay to give people free water you let them know where it comes from - good advertising.

Where did I state it was Spain. I said "could be" if you read back over my posts. You're the one assuming that it wasn Spain or one of the many other holiday destinations who have the same water supply problem.

Also. In these destinations it's assumed that restaurants don't give potentially dangerous water to customers to drink. Most restaurants don't need to advertise that they are trying to not poison their guests.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where did I state it was Spain. I said "could be" if you read back over my posts. You're the one assuming that it wasn Spain or one of the many other holiday destinations who have the same water supply problem.
    Eh, no, no I wasn't, read back... personal filtration, seen in many a business... oh, never mind... Oh, and in your initial post you just ran with spain, need to look again?
    Also. In these destinations it's assumed that restaurants don't give potentially dangerous water to customers to drink. Most restaurants don't need to advertise that they are trying to not poison their guests.
    You advertise that you're giving them a brand, even if it is a shoddy one, over tap water/tap water that's gone through a bit of sand, it's not that hard really...

Eh, no, no I wasn't, read back... personal filtration, seen in many a business... oh, never mind... Oh, and in your initial post you just ran with spain, need to look again?
    Read it again. I said could be. Is it that hard to admit that it's possible you could be wrong?
    You advertise that you're giving them a brand, even if it is a shoddy one, over tap water/tap water that's gone through a bit of sand, it's not that hard really...
    Have you ever been in Spain? I've never seen a restaurant advertising what water they put in their jugs.

Read it again. I said could be. Is it that hard to admit that it's possible you could be wrong?
    In a lot of Spain water from the tap is not acceptable for human consumption so a lot of your post could be invalid.

Now, I'm done, be stubborn over PM if you insist.

Now, I'm done, be stubborn over PM if you insist.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Less arguments, more stinge please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had to go to a house one day to make an emergency phone call, my mother had taken a bad turn in the house next door, and i told the resident of the house with phone my story and that could i please use their phone to get doctor, as i was leaving house i decided to take money out and give it to the owner of phone, to my surprise he had his big paw out before i got the cash twenty pience out of my pocket, i knew he was mean, but that beat alot of things, even the fellow digging up my bulbs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

goat2 wrote: »
    i had to go to a house one day to make an emergency phone call, my mother had taken a bad turn in the house next door, and i told the resident of the house with phone my story and that could i please use their phone to get doctor, as i was leaving house i decided to take money out and give it to the owner of phone, to my surprise he had his big paw out before i got the cash twenty pience out of my pocket, i knew he was mean, but that beat alot of things, even the fellow digging up my bulbs,
    Ohhh my God!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

iregk wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. If couples want to do their own thing let them and if the man pays for everything all the time then he is an idiot. When it comes to the round and drinks I'd fully expect any woman taking drinks to put their hand in and buy a round. This is of particular significance considering a lads round tends to be pints costing circa €4 a piece however when the women get involved and it turns into €6 bacardi and cokes and such like.

When we're out with large group and its full of couples whats also acceptable is for the round structure to be couple based as opposed to person based.

The worst I saw however was in a restaurant with her good self. It was her brithday so I was taking her out and the couple beside us asked for their bill. The guy picks it up and calculated to the penny what she owed. Even asked if she had 2 7up's or 3. Of course once they went we burst out laughing. I wouldn't say a 2nd date was forthcoming.

I'm single but often go out with two friens who are a couple and we'll get in rounds BUT I'll pay for a round and then they'll pay for a round between them! So I end up paying for two drinks for the price of one!! I wouldn't mind but they both have good jobs!

It started being the same when we went for meals! Even when I was in a relationship, say there would be three couples out so six people, instead of dividing the bill by six, they'd try and divide by 5 so only one of them would pay! When we asked them about it, they got all defensive and said that when they had a night out they pooled their money together before they went out- so they said technically they were bought paying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Stung twice so :pac: Is it not free to call 999??

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My husband once worked with a guy who was either really stingy or really stupid, or possibly a combination of both. You know when you get a roll in the deli and there's that really hard crusty bit at either end that never has any filling? Most people I know don't eat that bit (in fairness the rolls are big enough) but this bloke used to never let anyone throw out the end bits at lunch time, he'd gather them all up, and then if anyone had had a bag of crisps with their lunch, he'd rip the bag and wipe the crumbs from the bag onto the bits of bread to make a 'sandwich' and eat it!! :confused::confused:

He also never, ever bought a ticket for the Luas, but he'd get caught at least every 10 days, so ended up getting fined. Every few days he'd be late for work because the inspectors would get on the Luas and he'd have to get off and wait for another one in case they caught him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It started being the same when we went for meals! Even when I was in a relationship, say there would be three couples out so six people, instead of dividing the bill by six, they'd try and divide by 5 so only one of them would pay! When we asked them about it, they got all defensive and said that when they had a night out they pooled their money together before they went out- so they said technically they were bought paying!!

The other two couples should just have just done the same and pooled together also, divide the bill into three and then the tight fcuks would be back where they started.

I just wouldn't be able to be friends with people like that, they were just being smart and taking advantage of their mates. If I was in that situation they sure as hell wouldn't get the chance to play me for a fool a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I worked with a man years ago who would buy a litre of milk at the beginning of the week and stick it in the freezer at work, then when he wanted a cup fo tea he'd take it out and open up whole top and break off a chunk of frozen milk with a knife and put it in his tea! He brought one tea bag to work with him each day and kept it in his pocket. I never actually seen him spend money or go into a shop for that matter, in the 4 years we worked together. He never ever took his annual leave and never looked to carry it over, he'd take maybe 3 or 4 days off a year and it was usually becuase he had to go somewhere and not because he wanted a day or two off to himself. He reckoned days off cost him money as he would be using electricty in his own house if he were there all day!!

Stung twice so :pac: Is it not free to call 999??
    at the time i forgot that fact, i suppose he knew, but however, i dont think he had much luck for it, and no matter what is done to me, i would not bother stooping as low as them anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Years ago, when the pub across the road from us was a pub and a shop, myself and a friend went there while Trick or Treating on Halloween, whey gave us each a packet of crisps.
    And then charged us for them :rolleyes:

I know they've no obligation to do it, since they were a shop,but it still felt bad :(.

i bet that ye often bought groceries in that shop, how did they feel at home about that, i know if my child went into a shop on halloween and that happened, i would not spend a cent in that shop again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

i bet that ye often bought groceries in that shop, how did they feel at home about that, i know if my child went into a shop on halloween and that happened, i would not spend a cent in that shop again

I can't remember whether we actually did grocery shopping there, but we certainly weren't strangers, we'd buy sweets there many times (me being sent over a lot of the time :p). Certainly more than the 20 (40 total)p the crisps cost. We still go to the pub there every once in a while, and get stuff from the off-license more relatively often.

The shop is gone quite a while now. It was great having the shop right there, not that the others are far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Was working in a stationer's a few years ago, and a woman, not a regular, came in and bought three packets of writing paper, which I think cost €4.50 in total for the three of them. These three packets also happened to be the only three on the small shelf where they were kept.
    She asked with a smile for a discount for buying all of our stock! I assumed she was joking and laughed, saying "sorry, I'm afraid I can't!"
    Her face dropped and she just said "Oh." and nothing else.
    She was serious!
    I then said "You see, we actually have lots more in the stockroom." not knowing whether we did or not.
    She left without saying anything.
    I could understand if she was buying in bulk, 100 packs or so, then I'm sure we'd give a discount, but if the shop gave a discount to every spending €4.50 or more they'd probably be bankrupt!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I could understand if she was buying in bulk, 100 packs or so, then I'm sure we'd give a discount, but if the shop gave a discount to every spending €4.50 or more they'd probably be bankrupt!

I used to work in a nightclub and people would always be looking for "group discounts". Look, you, your girlfriend and her mate is not a group! Over 6 people is a group, if it's your birthday and you bring your party, sure we'll sort you out! But no, not you and your one mate :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

i know if my child went into a shop on halloween and that happened, i would not spend a cent in that shop again

I think this could be one for R&R...

****ing trick or treaters! Since when is begging a fun activity for kids? How is the pub supposed to give out free crisps to kids then turn around and charge their regulars for them?

I know the price of a packet of crisps isn't much, but why is begging okay at Halloween? If we gave all the street beggars masks would that make it more fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

****ing trick or treaters! Since when is begging a fun activity for kids? How is the pub supposed to give out free crisps to kids then turn around and charge their regulars for them?

I know the price of a packet of crisps isn't much, but why is begging okay at Halloween? If we gave all the street beggars masks would that make it more fun?

because its halloween, its fun and its for kids. i bet your get your house egged every year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's actually worse than that. Give them sweets or they'll stick a banger up your cats ass.
    Were teaching our children to be perfectly ambivalent about blackmail. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Yes, I believe it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I'm single but often go out with two friens who are a couple and we'll get in rounds BUT I'll pay for a round and then they'll pay for a round between them! So I end up paying for two drinks for the price of one!! I wouldn't mind but they both have good jobs!

are you for real? whether or not they "pooled their money" there was probably still two seperate things ordered from the menu with them, unless they pooled their dinner too:rolleyes:
    Was working in a stationer's a few years ago, and a woman, not a regular, came in and bought three packets of writing paper, which I think cost €4.50 in total for the three of them. These three packets also happened to be the only three on the small shelf where they were kept.
    She asked with a smile for a discount for buying all of our stock! I assumed she was joking and laughed, saying "sorry, I'm afraid I can't!"
    Her face dropped and she just said "Oh." and nothing else.
    She was serious!
    I then said "You see, we actually have lots more in the stockroom." not knowing whether we did or not.
    She left without saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I remember hearing a story about a friend of mine who years ago while in college borrowed 200 pounds off his mate to pay the rent. No bothers just pay me back in a months time and my friend said that was grand. Anyway a couple of weeks later they went out drinking and stopped off at the chipper on the way home. The guy who lent the money realized he was broke and my friend gave him 3 quid for chips and stuff. 2 weeks later my friend kept his promise and gave your man back the money he owed him ..............197 pounds:)

• Advertisement

I remember hearing a story about a friend of mine who years ago while in college borrowed 200 pounds off his mate to pay the rent. No bothers just pay me back in a months time and my friend said that was grand. Anyway a couple of weeks later they went out drinking and stopped off at the chipper on the way home. The guy who lent the money realized he was broke and my friend gave him 3 quid for chips and stuff. 2 weeks later my friend kept his promise and gave your man back the money he owed him ..............197 pounds:)
    and that is what he owed him, i love it,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement