Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

I have a mate who bought his mother an expensive ring for her 50th and when he handed it to her he said, "I want that back in the will". Miserable cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

SkidMark wrote: »
    His friend would have some nerve to call to your door after that disgusting performance.

Hope you get a decent price for his Computer and Weights
    Betting he gave his key to the housemate so be wide ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

theres a lad in the pub i work in that whenever his friend goes out for a smoke he calls one of the barmen over and says "i'll take that pint now", when we say what pint he replies sayin his friend paid for one for him. Worked a few times but we caught on eventually when one of the barmen he said it to earlier on in the night heard him saying it to me. Cant believe how stingy some people are, specially the ones about about so called "friends".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Cianos wrote: »
    D'you know how much drinks in pubs cost these days? Sounds like those people are well aware anyway and thought of a way to have a night on the cheap.
    I am pie wrote: »
    Sounds like they are pair of miserable scroungers...

Rereading my post it totally looked as if I was defending the scabby pair, I wasn't! Was saying that it sounds like they plotted a way to have a cheap night at the expense of their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when i was young, i went to the local shop and asked for a 20 old pience icecream, you know the ones they cut and put a wafer at either side like a sandwich, when i pulled out the money, must have lost a penny and told the old lady i was a penny short, she took one wafer off and cut a slice off the ice cream and put back on the wafer, she readjusted the icecream to make it a ninteen penny one, she lost me as a customer that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

goat2 wrote: »
    when i was young, i went to the local shop and asked for a 20 old pience icecream, you know the ones they cut and put a wafer at either side like a sandwich, when i pulled out the money, must have lost a penny and told the old lady i was a penny short, she took one wafer off and cut a slice off the ice cream and put back on the wafer, she readjusted the icecream to make it a ninteen penny one, she lost me as a customer that day.

Awwww. I don't think you can ever get over that.:(

Awwww. I don't think you can ever get over that.:(
    only sorry that i did not take a good sized bite out of the corner of it, before i told her i was a penny short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

You're not from Artane/Beaumont area?
    There's a little shop there on Skellies Lane. Yonks ago I was second in the que, and the lad infront of me asked for a penny golf ball, and tried to pay with two ha'pennies.

The woman apologised and told him they didn't take ha'pennies any more.
    (They had gone out of circulation a couple of weeks previoulsy)

But the scabby thing is, I didn't buy him a penny golf ball out of my change.. still regret it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

Was in the Security Queue in Dublin Airport and was behind a German family when the father was asked 'Any liquid, gels etc..."

He has a 2-Ltr bottle of water in his rucksack that he took out and was told he can't bring that any further. As the Security man was about to take it from him to dump it I suppose.... the father pulled the family out of the and passed the bottle around like a set of wino's taking huge gulps to finish off the bottle. One of the kids could drink no more ..but the father told him to take a few more gulps. That went on til it was finished off!!

I couldn't believe it.....they had to drink it rather than hand it over to be dumped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

When i was a young lad i used to spend my summers working as a caddy at the local golf club,the rate per round was about 15 old pounds,plus a tip of £5-£10 was pretty standard....grand money for 4 hours work as a 15 year old, anyway i remember caddying for this guy one time,took his clubs out of his S-class,he was the worst golfer in europe,i crawled through every bush on the course to find his ball.my fee was paid in coins,down to the last penny and he gave me an APPLE as a tip......that apple was hurled at that S-class as it drove out the gate........hit it aswell:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Oh err,confession time.Ive just remembered as a kid I would put plastic toy 50p pieces into the trollies when shopping with mum knowing that the trollies are switched when you are putting the goods on the conveyor belt to be paid for and that I would get a nice legal 50 when returning the trolley.

I thought I was quite the clever boy.Volunteering to go and get a trolley,but not quite thinking of the poor sod behind us in the queue who would get my dud 50.

I couldnt believe that my plastic 50 fitted perfectly and was accepted.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Seen a woman filling her handbag with sachets of ketchup and mayo in a cafe one time,i also know a guy who's a renowned tight-arse that ordered in a pay-per-view fight,invited everyone over to watch it and then charged them to come in:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Seen a woman filling her handbag with sachets of ketchup and mayo in a cafe one time,i also know a guy who's a renowned tight-arse that ordered in a pay-per-view fight,invited everyone over to watch it and then charged them to come in:eek:
    I always do that, they come in handy for holidays, sometimes abroad you can't heinz ketchup or mayo in the shops. I also take the sugar, them little packets of ketchup and mayo come in handy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Masala wrote: »
    Was in the Security Queue in Dublin Airport and was behind a German family when the father was asked 'Any liquid, gels etc..."

He has a 2-Ltr bottle of water in his rucksack that he took out and was told he can't bring that any further. As the Security man was about to take it from him to dump it I suppose.... the father pulled the family out of the and passed the bottle around like a set of wino's taking huge gulps to finish off the bottle. One of the kids could drink no more ..but the father told him to take a few more gulps. That went on til it was finished off!!

I couldn't believe it.....they had to drink it rather than hand it over to be dumped!!

I hope they were flying ryanair and had to pay a euro each to use the toilet after all that water :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Taylor21 wrote: »
    I hope they were flying ryanair and had to pay a euro each to use the toilet after all that water :P

No, they'd probably keep the bottle to píss into it on the plane for fear they would loose the euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Kojak wrote: »
    No, they'd probably keep the bottle to píss into it on the plane for fear they would loose the euro.

Ah those crazy Germans and their p1ss, on a plane now! What'll they think of next!

Kojak wrote: »
    when flying ryan air, do people have to pay to use the restroom,

A euro!!!

Does it make me stingy if I'd rather p1ss in my own shoe than give that eejit Michael O'Leary a euro for a few sheets of bog roll?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

no they dont, for f*ck sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A mate's father sold an Austin A40 to his boss at work.

About a week later his boss slammed the drivers door shut and the door window smashed in large pieces. The idiot that sold the car cut out an ordinary sheet of glass and fitted it into the door instead of fitting the correct safety glass when the car was broken into a few weeks before that..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

i also know a guy who's a renowned tight-arse that ordered in a pay-per-view fight,invited everyone over to watch it and then charged them to come in:eek:

That's not stingy, that's actually a great idea.

Taylor21 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, if the daily fail says it:rolleyes:

I'll put that down with the old classic;

You're going to get weighed along with your luggage, and if over a cartain limit, you'll be charged extra

Oh yeah, if the daily fail says it:rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ryanairs-83641-pay-as-you-go-toilet-fee-takes-off-2126277.html

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/apr2010/gb20100414_134409.htm

http://www.skyscanner.net/news/articles/2010/04/005460-ryanair-to-implement-1-toilet-charge.html

There was loads that reported on it actually! It was first suggested in 09 and they got such a backlash that they binned it but then brought it back up so they seem to be determined to do it.

He says it's to change passenger behavior...eh no it's cause you're f*cking stingy!!!

P.s. Yeah it's only for short haul flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I don't know if I mentioned this beefore on this thread, but I was on holidays recently and at the table next to us was a family of about eight or ten children, parents and grandparents. As you can imagine, there was about three pitchers of water on the table, which the family all drank. During the dessert, I noticed that the family asked for the jugs to be refilled. I thought this strange, given that they were onto dessert. Anyway, just before the father went up to pay, he bent down and took three big bottles out of his backpack and proceeded to fill them up from the jugs of water on the table.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of doing that. They had their water there for the rest of the day. I would just have gone to the shop and bought a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

They binned the whole charging for toilet thing.

As part of Law they have to provide free facilities if they want to be able to sell food and drink. Until laws change, they'd have to stop in flight service if they want to charge for toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't think it was ever seriously considered. Michael O'Leary loves to make statements like that in order to get free publicity.

And it obviously worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Apologies, I stand corrected. Still can't see it being legal though. I'm sure there's human rights issues in there somewhere..

since when have ryanair given a F about human rights! they don't even have union do they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

UpCork wrote: »
    Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought of doing that. They had their water there for the rest of the day. I would just have gone to the shop and bought a bottle.

The water on tables is just tap water, they probably weren't being stingy, more environmentally concious in not disposing of a plastic bottle every time they want a drink, and probably also concious of the lunacy of paying some ridiculous amount of money for a tiny bottle of water that has zero benefits over what's in the tap.

They should rename the celtic tiger the ballygowan era... It's just baffling to me that people would chose to pay for something that's free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement