Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

s_carnage wrote: »
    Know of a lad who was in this competition on TV. He then uses the work phone to ring in a load of votes so that he wins. Ends up costing a couple of grand. Some neck on him!!

Does he hide his baldy head under a flat cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Does he hide his baldy head under a flat cap?

That's the one, you must know him too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

There was this one lad that I know, he's from Ennis (as am I) and he went to University in Galway the same time as I did, and would have been considered a good mate of ours. One Friday evening he asked did me and 2 other lads want a lift after college back to Ennis, and we said we would take the lift instead of getting the bus. As soon as we arrive in Ennis, we are getting out of the car and he asks each of us for E12! We wouldn't have minded giving him some money, but he wanted E36 euro from us for the 45 minute trip! He said that we would have had to pay E12 euro each if we had gotten the bus, and he had gotten us home quicker than the bus would have, so we should give him the money that we otherwise would have handed out to Bus Eireann! It would have been one thing if he drove us down specifically or something, but he was going there anyways. He also tried to make an argument about the extra people in the car meaning more petrol was used up as well as wear and tear caused to the car due to extra weight! We gave him the money but I swore I would not take a lift of him again!!!

Then, a few weeks later, his brother (who also went to Uni in Galway) offered me and another one of the lads a lift home, and the lad who had previously driven us was also in the car. We accepted the lift and when we got to Ennis we offered money towards petrol but he would not take a penny from us, and the lad who had previously driven on us had a look of shock on his face at this declaration! And the thing is, the brother who wouldn't take any money off of us was not in as good a job as the guy who did, and also did not know us near as well as the bother who charged us 36 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

At work sometimes we take turns to get everybody else a bite to eat for lunch. Sometimes we give each other the money for them, others we say it's grand.

One guy (otherwise a nice fella) I noticed, never offers to pay for his lunch when it's brought back but will make sure he collects when he gets everyone else a sandwich or something.

The last last few times he's done it to me, sick to the teeth of it, I've taken the difference from the companies petty cash, filling out the slip saying "lunch for X". Petty I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Another time I was in Uni, I was invited to a cocktail party at these 2 girls house. We were all asked to bring a bottle of something, which would be fairly standard. So I arrived in with my bottle of rum for the party, and put it on the table. Next thing the girls ask us each for money to cover the drink that they had provided. Between the 2 of them, they had supplied 2 bottles of liquor themselves and they asked everyone there to contribute E10 on top of the bottle given. We said that that would be well more than the cost of the drinks, they said that the extra money was for the fact that we were drinking in their house - at their invitation!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

At work sometimes we take turns to get everybody else a bite to eat for lunch. Sometimes we give each other the money for them, others we say it's grand.

One guy (otherwise a nice fella) I noticed, never offers to pay for his lunch when it's brought back but will make sure he collects when he gets everyone else a sandwich or something.

The last last few times he's done it to me, sick to the teeth of it, I've taken the difference from the companies petty cash, filling out the slip saying "lunch for X". Petty I know :pac:

Thats what the Petty cash is for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

jimoc wrote: »
    Thats what the Petty cash is for :)

That's what I was implying ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭easterbride

I worked in a supermarket while I was at college, one lady used to come often (a local clothes shop owner, well dressed & wealthy). She used to open the Fairtrade bananas and take them out of the plastic and pretend they were own brand ones that had to be weighed = half price! I reported her to the manager who saw her on camera and warned her.

I worked on the customer service desk and worked the day after St Stephen's Day for three years. The first year a man came in at about 11am and had the packaging of an own brand turkey and was quite angry that his turkey was gone off and that his Christmas dinner was ruined. They had a no quibble refund policy so I gave him a refund and the manager gave him customer service details etc, we were extremely polite and helpful. The following year the same man came in and yet again had the packaging of an own brand turkey and was quiet angry that his turkey was gone off and his turkey was ruined. I called the manager and explained the situation, he gave him the refund and apologised and said that he hoped the man picked a better turkey next year as this was the second year in a row that his turkey was gone off! the man looked suitably mortified and rightly so ~ taking advantage of the system! Roll on the third year and he didn't appear!! Some people!

I really could go on ~ excellent thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

I lived with a guy who went off and got allergy tested.

Turned out he was alergic to Dairy. He tried to sell me a packed of chedder he bought the day before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Davyhal wrote: »
    Another time I was in Uni, I was invited to a cocktail party at these 2 girls house. We were all asked to bring a bottle of something, which would be fairly standard. So I arrived in with my bottle of rum for the party, and put it on the table. Next thing the girls ask us each for money to cover the drink that they had provided. Between the 2 of them, they had supplied 2 bottles of liquor themselves and they asked everyone there to contribute E10 on top of the bottle given. We said that that would be well more than the cost of the drinks, they said that the extra money was for the fact that we were drinking in their house - at their invitation!!!

Ugh I hate people like this - do they not understand the concept of being a host? If you don't want to come out of pocket for a party, then go to the pub, don't have people over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Don't you know that part of the curse of being in IT is that you have to provide free technical support for life to friends and family :(
    Well, that and being in IT in the first place. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ugh I hate people like this - do they not understand the concept of being a host? If you don't want to come out of pocket for a party, then go to the pub, don't have people over.

D'you know how much drinks in pubs cost these days? Sounds like those people are well aware anyway and thought of a way to have a night on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Cianos wrote: »
    D'you know how much drinks in pubs cost these days? Sounds like those people are well aware anyway and thought of a way to have a night on the cheap.

Sounds like they are pair of miserable scroungers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Davyhal wrote: »
    There was this one lad that I know, he's from Ennis (as am I) and he went to University in Galway the same time as I did, and would have been considered a good mate of ours. One Friday evening he asked did me and 2 other lads want a lift after college back to Ennis, and we said we would take the lift instead of getting the bus. As soon as we arrive in Ennis, we are getting out of the car and he asks each of us for E12! We wouldn't have minded giving him some money, but he wanted E36 euro from us for the 45 minute trip! He said that we would have had to pay E12 euro each if we had gotten the bus, and he had gotten us home quicker than the bus would have, so we should give him the money that we otherwise would have handed out to Bus Eireann! It would have been one thing if he drove us down specifically or something, but he was going there anyways. He also tried to make an argument about the extra people in the car meaning more petrol was used up as well as wear and tear caused to the car due to extra weight! We gave him the money but I swore I would not take a lift of him again!!!

Then, a few weeks later, his brother (who also went to Uni in Galway) offered me and another one of the lads a lift home, and the lad who had previously driven us was also in the car. We accepted the lift and when we got to Ennis we offered money towards petrol but he would not take a penny from us, and the lad who had previously driven on us had a look of shock on his face at this declaration! And the thing is, the brother who wouldn't take any money off of us was not in as good a job as the guy who did, and also did not know us near as well as the bother who charged us 36 quid.

why the hell did you pay him!?

Housemate moved back to France yesterday, he left while there was no one in the house and emptied out my press of food taking it back in his care with him. He also poured all liquids such as milk down the sink, emptied the freezer of all food, threw any vegetables in the bin and emptied out washing powder, bleach etc. He also took DVDs, alcohol and a number of other things. The reason being it seems, he could not fit his computer or weights into his car and as neither me nor the other housemate wanted to buy them so he had to leave them after him in in the house. According to a text from him, he dumped all the food and stuff in order to compensate him for not being able take all his stuff and we would no doubt take his wights and computer. Worst of all is that he also stole a housemates wallet with money and receipts he had for work in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Darko wrote: »
    Housemate moved back to France yesterday, he left while there was no one in the house and emptied out my press of food taking it back in his care with him. He also poured all liquids such as milk down the sink, emptied the freezer of all food, threw any vegetables in the bin and emptied out washing powder, bleach etc. He also took DVDs, alcohol and a number of other things. The reason being it seems, he could not fit his computer or weights into his car and as neither me nor the other housemate wanted to buy them so he had to leave them after him in in the house. According to a text from him, he dumped all the food and stuff in order to compensate him for not being able take all his stuff and we would no doubt take his wights and computer. Worst of all is that he also stole a housemates wallet with money and receipts he had for work in it.

That's not being mean, that's spiteful malice and outright theft. Did you report his taking your friend's wallet to the Gardai?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    That's not being mean, that's spiteful malice and outright theft. Did you report his taking your friend's wallet to the Gardai?

We did but as he's no longer in the country there's not a lot they can do. What he did was theft, pure and simple and as he has yet to get his deposit back from the renting agency I'm going to see if I can do something about getting compensated for my loss.

I think a friend of his is supposed to be calling over to get the computer and weights but as far as I'm concerned they now belong to me and my housemate and were going to be selling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Jaysus, Sounds like he's a total sociopath :eek:,

I'd be wary of any drink he did leave, he probably pissed in it.

'Stingy' is not the right word for that Toerag.

SkidMark wrote: »
    Jaysus, Sounds like he's a total sociopath :eek:,

I'd be wary of any drink he did leave, he probably pissed in it.

'Stingy' is not the right word for that Toerag.

Speaking of piss, he left the door of his room open and the smell is something else, like stale piss and sour milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

french housemate story
    What an evil cnut! Email him and tell his that you've reported him to the cops. On the plus side you are no longer living under the same roof as someone who is clearly deranged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Speaking of piss, he left the door of his room open and the smell is something else, like stale piss and sour milk.

His friend would have some nerve to call to your door after that disgusting performance.

Hope you get a decent price for his Computer and Weights

What an evil cnut! Email him and tell his that you've reported him to the cops. On the plus side you are no longer living under the same roof as someone who is clearly deranged.

Text him yesterday telling him that we had reported him, he sent back a rather nasty hate filled message. Guy was a nasty piece of work whom I hope karma pays back in kind.
    SkidMark wrote: »
    His friend would have some nerve to call to your door after that disgusting performance.

Hope you get a decent price for his Computer and Weights

I hope his friend calls, not a chance are we giving the stuff over and we plan on telling his friend just what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We did but as he's no longer in the country there's not a lot they can do. What he did was theft, pure and simple and as he has yet to get his deposit back from the renting agency I'm going to see if I can do something about getting compensated for my loss.

I think a friend of his is supposed to be calling over to get the computer and weights but as far as I'm concerned they now belong to me and my housemate and were going to be selling them.
    Definitly report it to the rental agency immediately and definitly sell his stuff and tell his mate to **** off.
    If he knew cud mate was gonna collect his pc & weights, wtf was he at 'compensating' himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Ugh I hate people like this - do they not understand the concept of being a host?
    Jesus ya, I mean when the lads call over to mine the odd time I always offer a few bottles or a can and maybe put down a pizza or whatever I have in.

I suppose the fact that I know them well and that they feel a little embarrassed says a lot about how common it is for people to extend a little hospitality.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Out to a company meal where the boss picked up the tab.
    Full 4 course meal at a very nice place and a good few beers too.

Boss called it a night and paid up and left.
    We decided to stay for a bit longer and ordered some more beers.
    One of the guys refused to have a beer as in his words

"I would have to pay for it myself"

Another night four of us were out and had decided to get a taxi home a bit later instead of the last train. Taxi would of cost about 15 euro each.

Turns out as we left the pub we just managed to get on the last train so saved ourselves about 12 euro. All I heard the entire trip home was...

"Thank god we made the train, would of cost a fortune otherwise"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

I hope his friend calls, not a chance are we giving the stuff over and we plan on telling his friend just what happened.

you'd wanna be careful, from what your said I wouldn't be surprised if he gave his friend a key!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I'd be scared of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Shoot me a PM with info on the weights and computer, I might be interested. And I'd recommend you talk about it with the gardai before you sell anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

We did but as he's no longer in the country there's not a lot they can do.

There is plenty they can do, they can put out a warrant for his arrest so if the cnut ever shows up here again he can be arrested. What he did was theft, plain and simple. End of story.
    I think a friend of his is supposed to be calling over to get the computer and weights but as far as I'm concerned they now belong to me and my housemate and were going to be selling them

Maybe cut the friend a bit of slack at first, invite him in for a cup of tea and explain the situation to him, he might not know the full story. Tell him his French mate is obviously a fcuking psycho and the cops are dealing with the situation so you can't give him his gear back. Obviously if the mate is a stroppy cnut throw him out and tell him to fcuk off, but give him a chance first.

Tell the letting agency asap, they will withhold his deposit till its sorted. Sadly you have no real legal right to his deposit or indeed to his computer and weights. you could arrange for them to be "stolen", or "throw them in the bin".

Btw what kind of a computer is it that it won't fit in a car? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

bijapos wrote: »
    Sadly you have no real legal right to his deposit or indeed to his computer and weights.

Could he say that the text message from the french lad saying destroying the food was the trade off for the computer and weights? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement