Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm reading this thread and taking notes.

Thanks guys, for all the recession tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Floodric

goat2 wrote: »
    i will always ask for a small bag if there are bones let in plate, i bring them home to my jrt,s so that it is a nice treat, keep them happy

You don't even have a dog! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Don't think this is stingy, but seeing as the Doggy Bag thing is seen as a good thing by people...

If your knives are blunt, take them down to your butchers (if you have a regular one.) A friend's kitchen knives were blunt, couldn't cut a thing, and he was contemplating buying new ones. So I said to his brother to take it down to the butchers they use and ask him to do a sharpening on them. No problem, the butcher was happy to do it. They picked them up the next day and they're still going good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Buceph wrote: »
    Don't think this is stingy, but seeing as the Doggy Bag thing is seen as a good thing by people...

If your knives are blunt, take them down to your butchers (if you have a regular one.) A friend's kitchen knives were blunt, couldn't cut a thing, and he was contemplating buying new ones. So I said to his brother to take it down to the butchers they use and ask him to do a sharpening on them. No problem, the butcher was happy to do it. They picked them up the next day and they're still going good.

Or buy a cheapy knife sharpener in tesco :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Virtual gym 'helps weight loss'

Regular visits to a health club in the online virtual world Second Life appear to help shed the pounds in real life, say exercise scientists.
    Participants in two 12-week weight loss programmes - one real, and one online - lost similar amounts of weight.

Indiana University researchers told a conference that confidence and motivation built in the virtual gym continued in normal life.
    A UK psychologist said mixing online and real world support might work best.

Second Life, launched in 2003, allows individuals to create online personae and explore an online world, interacting with others.
    Dr Jeanne Johnston, who led the study which was presented at the American College of Sports Medicine Conference in Denver, worked in partnership with a Second Life interactive weight loss community called Club One Island to devise a weight loss programme.

Overweight and obese people were recruited to take part in either this programme, or a similar programme delivered more conventionally in a face-to-face setting.
    Both courses involved four hours a week at meetings either in Second Life or the real world.

Most of those taking part were women, with an average age of 46 in the Second Life programme, and 37 in the face-to-face group.
    Side by side Over the 12-week period, both groups achieved similar weight loss - losing 10 pounds on average.

However, when the groups were surveyed on whether their overall behaviour had changed, those using Second Life appeared to have made more changes towards healthy eating and physical activity, suggesting that they might fare better in the future.

Dr Johnston said: "It's counter-intuitive, the idea of being more active in a virtual world, but the activities that they do in a virtual world can carry over into the real world.
    "The virtual world programme was at least as beneficial as the face-to-face programme, and in some ways, more effective.
    "It has the potential to reach people who normally wouldn't go to a gym or join a programme because of limitations, such as time or discomfort with a fitness centre environment."

Dr Jeff Breckon, a researcher in exercise psychology at Sheffield Hallam University, said that there might be a role for virtual support of this type.
    He said: "There is still evidence that one-to-one sessions can lead to successful outcomes.
    "There may be a place for this, perhaps as an adjunct to these sessions, rather than a replacement."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Total bollox.
    Nice to meet you too.
    Weight watchers are owned by Heinz, since when is in the long term interest of a food company to make you eat less.
    Your information is about 10 years out of date. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_Watchers;
    Corporate history
    From 1978 until 1999, Weight Watchers was owned by the H. J. Heinz Company, which continues to produce packaged foods bearing the Weight Watchers brand (and with point values clearly identified). Weight Watchers was acquired in a leveraged buyout in 1999 by Artal Luxembourg and went public in 2001. Artal continues to own over 50% of the shares of Weight Watchers as of 2010.
    That recent study counted 'success' as losing 5% of body weight, so a whopping 10lb for someone who weighs 14 stone.
    That's a slight over-simplification. If you want a bit more detail on the two recent studies, have a look at http://www.mrc.ac.uk/Newspublications/News/MRC007006
    Biggest scam going considering all you need to lose weight is available online along with support forums.
    Indeed, all the information you need is available online. But some people need more than information. They need motivation, and encouragement, and maybe a bit of fear, and they get it from the meetings. It wouldn't be my thing tbh, and I'm not carrying any torch for them. But it does work reasonably well for some people.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Your information is about 10 years out of date. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_Watchers;

Fair enough, couldn't help but notice when googling that their sales are over a billion, very profitable to help people yo yo diet.

That's a slight over-simplification. If you want a bit more detail on the two recent studies, have a look at http://www.mrc.ac.uk/Newspublications/News/MRC007006

Indeed, all the information you need is available online. But some people need more than information. They need motivation, and encouragement, and maybe a bit of fear, and they get it from the meetings. It wouldn't be my thing tbh, and I'm not carrying any torch for them. But it does work reasonably well for some people.

Both of those studies are actually a year long, which actually makes the results even more pathetic. At five years those results disappear. So I'll agree with you, WW works long term for some people, 2 out of a thousand people to be exact, and they weren't that fat to begin with. I'd advise people to save their money, actually learn how to eat healthy and rely on themselves for motivation, that's what they'll have to do in the long run.

Sorry for dragging off topic, WW is a pet peeve of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'd advise people to save their money, actually learn how to eat healthy and rely on themselves for motivation, that's what they'll have to do in the long run.

And what do the results of the independent studies into your approach tell us about your success rates?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

And what do the results of the independent studies into your approach tell us about your success rates?

What approach? I'm not charging people 500 euro a year for an unsuccessful weight loss program.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:OK folks we're going a bit off topic now.
    Try the nutrition and diet forum for discussion of diets etc. and lets continue with the stinginess in here please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Was in A local Pharmachy this tramp comes in stuck up thinking she is great with the fella all tarted up. Jumps ahead in the que and points to a Channel Perfume and asks the old lady at the counter could she smell it. The assistant said yes and sprayed some on a smelling sample piece of paper thing,

Tramp "oh thats lovely how much is that?"
    Assistant 79.50
    Tramp: "Can i see the bottle?"
    Assistant hands her the bottle the tramp then sprays it all over her selff ..hands it back and and giggles and walks out without buying anything with the fella in toe. Like it was a big joke.
    NAKKER

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

mod:OK folks we're going a bit off topic now.
    Try the nutrition and diet forum for discussion of diets etc. and lets continue with the stinginess in here please.

Best modding ever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I spent about 8 hours yesterday fixing my mother's friends computer. She had brought it to two professionals before me who said it was unfixable.

She was delighted I'd fixed it and said on the phone "oh I must give you something for doing that". Came over to collect it there and said nothing at all except thanks very much.

She's well off and she knows I'm currently unemployed and very broke.

Sickened now.. Would have been happy with 20 euro.:(

People are fupping morons in relation to this. I'd wager she'd give something to a chippie or sparky who did a job for her. People seem to think that 'computers' just isn't on a par. I've encountered this numerous times although last week I helped the guy who runs the local offie with some laptop problems. He gave me a bottle of BlackBush in payment :)

Met a guy I knew years ago, out at the weekend. He asked if I'd spot him a pint as he was just on his way to the ATM and wanted to chat. So I did. After drinks were done, he made his way off and never came back. He was notorious as a tight-arse, seems he hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

ronan45 wrote: »
    Was in A local Pharmachy this tramp comes in stuck up thinking she is great with the fella all tarted up. Jumps ahead in the que and points to a Channel Perfume and asks the old lady at the counter could she smell it. The assistant said yes and sprayed some on a smelling sample piece of paper thing,

Tramp "oh thats lovely how much is that?"
    Assistant 79.50
    Tramp: "Can i see the bottle?"
    Assistant hands her the bottle the tramp then sprays it all over her selff ..hands it back and and giggles and walks out without buying anything with the fella in toe. Like it was a big joke.
    NAKKER

At least tramps have started to recognise the importance of smelling good.
    They had an issue with that for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Best modding ever! :D

A bit stingy with the bold font if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Aishae wrote: »
    if you did that all the time itd all add up as well.

A lot of people come up with this argument. If 50 times in a row you were short changed 2 cents, you'd be out a Euro out of pocket. I'm sure it'd be life changing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I work with a Polish couple who are so stingy. Working with them both the last 7 or 8 years and even the other Poles at work take the piss out of how tight they are. There are many stories about them inc stealing milk from the fridge and stealing my brand new safety shoes that were still in the box:rolleyes:. This was never proved but it couldn't have been anyone else.

Nobody has ever seen them eat during an 8 hour shift in like 8 years

My personal fave was not long after they moved here i finished work at 4pm and was walking home with husband and wife and they needed a single onion to cook dinner that night. She goes into the shop across the road which is a convenience store so would be more expensive than the supermarket. Me and hubby are waiting outside for ages and she eventually comes out saying she didn't get the onion as it was too dear and would get it in the supermarket:rolleyes:.....For the sake of a few cents like....

I also work with other Polish people who i consider good friends and they couldn't be more different.They spend money like it grows on trees constantly inviting us round for drinks and bar b qs and wouldn't dream of asking for money. I think they partly do it to distance themselves from the couple. We get some laugh off the couple:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Have seen a lot of stinginess in my time so I'll just go for a funny one:
    When I lived with my ex, I did all the money earning, the cooking AND the cleaning pretty much and a couple of weeks later he got a job elsewhere and forgot about me til he came back to get his stuff. He took the toothpaste as well -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

College last year we kept a kind of collection of all of our finished vodka bottles, one of the lads 'recycled' the left over drops in all the finshed bottles to save money on drink one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Sunshine! wrote: »
    Have seen a lot of stinginess in my time so I'll just go for a funny one:
    When I lived with my ex, I did all the money earning, the cooking AND the cleaning pretty much and a couple of weeks later he got a job elsewhere and forgot about me til he came back to get his stuff. He took the toothpaste as well -.-

i was believing you til you mentioned the cooking. women cant cook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

got a lift home from a co-worker a while back and he told me his friends were going down to his for the weekend, hasent seen them in years etc

he pulled into dunnes and bought himself a 8 pack of smithwicks and drove the car off

then he pulled into lidl and brought some really cheap cans, ya know like the excelsior ones etc that go for 50cent ( they're rank, your guarenteed to puke after a few of them )

i asked him why did he stop in two places, he said "ah the cheap stuff is for me mates, i wouldn't be caught dead drinking it"

always thought he was a tightarse but that proved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

nuxxx wrote: »
    got a lift home from a co-worker a while back and he told me his friends were going down to his for the weekend, hasent seen them in years etc

he pulled into dunnes and bought himself a 8 pack of smithwicks and drove the car off

then he pulled into lidl and brought some really cheap cans, ya know like the excelsior ones etc that go for 50cent ( they're rank, your guarenteed to puke after a few of them )

i asked him why did he stop in two places, he said "ah the cheap stuff is for me mates, i wouldn't be caught dead drinking it"

always thought he was a tightarse but that proved it

Thats a tough one.
    On one hand its bad that he invites his mates down, buys the good stuff for himself then the crap for the mates.

But on the other hand he is still buying them beer. While most would say "bring your own drink" - so its a tough call. However if he stated "sure i'll get ya cans if you come down" (to entice) but then buys the good stuff for himself, then the crap for the mates.... yeah its big time stingy. But since you personally know the guy. If you say he is stingy. He has to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

waited 45 minutes at the bank of ireland on oconnel street in Limerick for a 2 pence piece when I was closing an account.

the birds ate well that day :D

no really i did wait for the 2 p though. it was an atm account and I had just been hit with govt tax for an account there was nothing in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Thats a tough one.
    But on the other hand he is still buying them beer. While most would say "bring your own drink" - so its a tough call. However if he stated "sure i'll get ya cans if you come down" (to entice) but then buys the good stuff for himself, then the crap for the mates.... yeah its big time stingy. But since you personally know the guy. If you say he is stingy. He has to be.

I dunno tbh, if old friends were driving down to see me I'd make sure the fridge was full of decent beer. I suppose the fact that he purposely went to two different places bugged me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

nuxxx wrote: »
    I dunno tbh, if old friends were driving down to see me I'd make sure the fridge was full of decent beer. I suppose the fact that he purposely went to two different places bugged me :)

Your right.
    In any case its bad out to buy the good stuff for yourself, then the muck for your mates.

you'd think he'd buy the muck for himself too :pac: the hide his stingyness. .. "oh yeah I love this stuff, thats why i got it" lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

Was at my mates mothers funeral,we were walking into the graveyard which was packed with people all trying to make there way in.A man in front of us threw away a fag but with 1 or 2 drags left on it and my mate ran over and picked it up and smoked it..didnt give a fcuk who seen him!!! i was mortified to be seen with him

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

yesno1234 wrote: »
    College last year we kept a kind of collection of all of our finished vodka bottles, one of the lads 'recycled' the left over drops in all the finshed bottles to save money on drink one night.
    A Matt Talbot fan! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

I used to work in a place where a few people thought it was 'ok' to steal the toilet rolls, lol. It wasn't even nice toilet paper, had the texture of sandpaper

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In a McDonald's in Paris there not a long ago and there was a lad waiting around until people put their leftovers in a bin before taking them back out and munching away on them. Disgusting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

My father tells me my Uncle Jim (who died before I was born) was a stingy ****. Like proper. The best I heard was how he used to buy a packet of fags in the morning but always carry an empty box in another pocket. He'd pop one in the empty box and always make sure there was just one in it, even though he'd have the other 19 in the other pocket

Whenever he used to visit my Gran he'd take out the packet and say "would you believe I can't offer ya a fag, I'm on me last one".

Stingy ****

One day me Grandad twigged what he was onto and went out to the kitchen where his coat was and pulled out the other box of 19 or so fags and said "oh look Jim, I found these in your coat", to which he replied he had forgotten about :pac:

Me grandad even took one off him and he didn't smoke haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement