Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's nothing at all stingy about asking for a "doggy bag" for the food you didn't eat at a restaurant.

You see, this is why this country is so screwed right now - people were so wantonly reckless and flashy in the bubble years with their money that they began to think that spa hotel breaks every second weekend and changing their car every year was the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    In the states you'll see nearly everyone walk out with the rest of their dinners in boxes

Its going in the bin if you dont bring it home, and you can eat it in bed!!!!!!!!

they also do it with drinks. we had maybe 100mls and were asked if we wanted a take away cup for it.
    the portions are ridiculous. was in burger king there, had a small meal and the small drink was 500 mls and the small fries were the size of our medium. really, you'd have to take it away with you. also, its a regular thing there for people to get one meal and split it because portions are so large.

was working in Oxfam books for work experience in fourth year, first thing i was told was that they got a lot of robberies, not stingy as much as illegal, but once again stealing from a charity shop. what the hell do people be thinking?

while i was there a man came in and bought a load of books then asked what could i give him off them, they were all under a euro. he came in every day to look at the new arrivals and try to find books that he could sell for a profit.
    he also kept trying to barter down the expensive books that were selling quite cheap considering what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    In the states you'll see nearly everyone walk out with the rest of their dinners in boxes

Its going in the bin if you dont bring it home, and you can eat it in bed!!!!!!!!

Not just in the US, I've seen this in the UK and in Oz and even if you don't ask for a doggy bag if you've food left on your plate the waiting staff will often ask you if you'd like to take it home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sykk wrote: »
    Myself and a housemate found this in the (other) stingy guys room. He has started cutting shampoo bottles and toothpaste in half to get the last bit out of them. His room hasn't had a lightbulb for months now...:pac:

That's not stingy.
    I do this and also with sunscreen bottles, medical ointments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ally Dick wrote: »
    People bringing doggy bags into restaurants is particularly stingy
    Gotta disagree. As others have said, this is something that's not commonly done in ireland, but I don't see any particular problem with saving your leftovers. Most people do it at home.
    I think in Ireland we have a tendency to eat everything that's put in front of us, so in most cases there isn't anything to take home. Probably the same reason why we put on loads of weight when we go to the U.S., as we feel obliged to eat what's in front of us rather than eat half and take the rest home.

My mother in law does it when she's only eaten (say) half her chicken. I've never seen a restaurant refuse her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Same here. Never used to do it, but my OH is from the continent and it would be common practice there too. We've ordered say pizza in a restaurant there, eaten a few slices had a couple of drinks, and asked them for a pizza box to take the rest home. No issues.

She has asked for a doggy bag in restaurants here too, to take leftover food home, and as above, she's never been refused. Don't see anything stingy or wrong with it whatsoever. Often times restaurant portions are overly generous anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I rarely finish meals and I regularly get doggy bags to take home when I leave restaurants. I didn't realise it would be viewed by anyone as stingy. I paid for the meal, found it tasty and want to eat the rest of it later. How is throwing it in the bin better than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

I know this girl who bought 6 tickets for Slane only becasue she wanted to sell them. One of here friends neede a ticket so she asked her, but the girl said she would only sell one for 150e, way over the price of the ticket. NOW THATS JUST MEAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

ciarak7511 wrote: »
    I know this girl who bought 6 tickets for Slane only becasue she wanted to sell them. One of here friends neede a ticket so she asked her, but the girl said she would only sell one for 150e, way over the price of the ticket. NOW THATS JUST MEAN!
    Same as my cousin, but was stuck with three of them he couldn't sell.
    Rang me last Saturday at six asking me would I take one for €50?
    No.
    €40?
    No
    €30?
    No.
    Do you want to just go for the craic? No charge?
    After seeing them at oxygen '09, no chance!

Then asked me would I give him up to Slane so he could flog them.
    I would but Magners and Champions league final were on, so he still has them..

Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

ciarak7511 wrote: »

Hope she got stuck with them at the end, and couldn't sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

deisemum wrote: »
    Not just in the US, I've seen this in the UK and in Oz and even if you don't ask for a doggy bag if you've food left on your plate the waiting staff will often ask you if you'd like to take it home.

Also the norm here in China.
    Nothing stingy about it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Don't recall if I already mentioned this:

A girl I know resold several tickets to a charity ball at a 50% markup.
    Tickets were already very expensive, 100 euro a pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

I don't know about anyone else but I think it's the height of stingy to bring your own doggy bag into a restaurant.

No porblem in people asking for a doggy bag to take stuff home with them though

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Mr Magners wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I think it's the height of stingy to bring your own doggy bag into a restaurant.
    No porblem in people asking for a doggy bag to take stuff home with them though :D:D:D

Not really. Depends on the restaurant, but maybe the person was there before and they didn't have doggy bags or containers, so the next time the diner brings their own? No harm in being prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Mr Magners wrote: »

No porblem in people asking for a doggy bag to take stuff home with them though

:D:D:D
    prinz wrote: »
    Not really. Depends on the restaurant, but maybe the person was there before and they didn't have doggy bags or containers, so the next time the diner brings their own? No harm in being prepared.

I read this the same as Mr Magners, that someone had got a doggy bag from a restaurant and then brought it into another restaurant (or the same one) like the next day or something, I think Ally DIck needs to clarify what he actually meant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I had a housemate who wouldn't come to Weightwatchers with the rest of us cos it costs 10 euro each time. So............... she stayed at home then used our info, literature etc. and ate the meals we cooked according to the WW recipes and lost as much weight as the rest of us. How mean is that !!!

Weight Watchers costs €20 to join & €10 a week....

If she avoided going for a year, she saved over €500, still lost as much weight as ye & didn't have to bother going to the meetings.

Fair play to her I say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

bigneacy wrote: »

If she avoided going for a year, she saved over €500, still lost as much weight as ye & didn't have to bother going to the meetings.

Fair play to her I say!!

Exactly. she saved the money and got the result.
    Now what she did can be seen as being a user. But hey, she saved 500 euro and lost the weight so ... fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

In my old hometown there was a local business woman who was extremely stingy. Same clothes every day. The story goes that when her husband died her and the children wrapped him in a black bag and buried him in the cemetery without a funeral so they wouldn't have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Fair play to her I say!!

You could get (the) information online anyway on how to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

YFlyer wrote: »
    You could get (the) information online anyway on how to lose weight.

My GP was telling me of recent research showing that Weight Watchers is the most effective way to lose weight. The NHS in UK will pay for an initial WW course for people in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Fair play to her I say!!

Weird country we live in when you have to pay a friggin fortune to people who tell you to eat less? Some recession!

"""Just noticed an ad for McDonalds on this page, 10/10 for SEO"""

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I spent about 8 hours yesterday fixing my mother's friends computer. She had brought it to two professionals before me who said it was unfixable.

She was delighted I'd fixed it and said on the phone "oh I must give you something for doing that". Came over to collect it there and said nothing at all except thanks very much.

She's well off and she knows I'm currently unemployed and very broke.

Sickened now.. Would have been happy with 20 euro.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^ Did the same years back, cycled a mile to a friend of me mothers on my own time, spent 2 hours fixing her computer, teaching her how to use Skype and some talk and type program and said "oh you're very good for helping" and the door to her €400,000 house closed. She was even good enough to show me around it. Bitch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

skregs wrote: »
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I sure as fúck wouldn't put money down on a shared drinks bill if I'd had tap water

No, tap water is free. She didn't tip for the great service we received during our free meal. The rest of us divided our drinks bill, of course we didn't want her to pay for our drinks! Just thought she'd chip in for the tip!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

My GP was telling me of recent research showing that Weight Watchers is the most effective way to lose weight. The NHS in UK will pay for an initial WW course for people in some cases.

Total bollox. WW works long term for around 2 out of a thousand people (and they weren't that fat to begin with)

http://fatfu.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/weight-watchers/

That recent study counted 'success' as losing 5% of body weight, so a whopping 10lb for someone who weighs 14 stone.

Weight watchers are owned by Heinz, since when is in the long term interest of a food company to make you eat less. Much more profitable to keep you coming back again, and again, and again.

Biggest scam going considering all you need to lose weight is available online along with support forums.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I spent about 8 hours yesterday fixing my mother's friends computer.
    ^^ Did the same years back, cycled a mile to a friend of me mothers on my own time, spent 2 hours fixing her computer,
    LOL

Don't you know that part of the curse of being in IT is that you have to provide free technical support for life to friends and family :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Weight watchers are owned by Heinz, since when is in the long term interest of a food company to make you eat less. Much more profitable to keep you coming back again, and again, and again.
    It's actually more profitable to sell packages that contain less food but cost more. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's actually more profitable to sell packages that contain less food but cost more. ;)

and are pumped full of sugar and taste like muck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

newmug wrote: »
    I wouldn't find that stingy at all. You pay 30 or 40 euro for a meal, its your food, you have every right to bring home what you dont eat!
    i will always ask for a small bag if there are bones let in plate, i bring them home to my jrt,s so that it is a nice treat, keep them happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

goat2 wrote: »
    i will always ask for a small bag if there are bones let in plate, i bring them home to my jrt,s so that it is a nice treat, keep them happy
    jrt = Jack Russell Terrier...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement