Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Nitelive....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

you see the amount of great comedy on the BBC and then reflect it back to RTE and just cry. take a look at Time Trumpet which went out on BBC 3 back in 2006. do you think RTE would have the talent to realise why a script for this show would be incredible if it had got to them first?

What worries me about RTE is the fact that its entertainment division seems to be very clique orientated. its just one giant circle jerk where they are telling each other how great they are... if im wrong then explain how andrew maxwell has a tv show. their way of advertising is simply to tell us how amazing and funny shows are and to pile drive that message down our throats. the RTE cant let shows rest on their own laurels simply because if they were to do that then they would be shown up for what they are and nearly everything would be a failure.
    RTE is out of touch with what makes quality comedy and has been for some time. Ian Fitzgibbon and Michael McElhatton have been gone a good while and that was the last bastion of high brow comedy RTE had. instead it seems like the greasy a$$ lickers jumped into that void and have been producing poor comedy ever since. its all a deception, all a circle jerk. look on this very thread for the proof - they have so little confidence in their show that they have to create false boards.ie accounts to pimp it.. and im led to believe that isnt the first time that has happend.

as i said - put some cameras in krystle or renards or lillies or whichever sordid little grief hole ( ;) ) they are going to and film them snorting charlie with other models while they tell each other how great they are. i think that would make absolutely great comedy. RTE wouldnt get the joke by the seems of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JohhnyHanjob

face it lads and lasses , nightlive is a sittin duck

i say we put some material together and send it to rte to show them what REAL comedy is

im thinking
    * profile of a D4 looser who gets paid in pints of HEINO to talk up rte's new "comedy".....but gets CREEEEAMMED by a 46A as he crosses the road lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

just bring back rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

Jazzy wrote: »
    take a look at Time Trumpet which went out on BBC 3 back in 2006. do you think RTE would have the talent to realise why a script for this show would be incredible if it had got to them first?

Armando Iannucci's Time Trumpet

Of course RTE would need someone of his quality as a producer to make something like that even work too.

Comedy's a fine art; few places outside of England(with their whole radio 4 grooming thing and, more recently and less successfully, BBC3) and America(where each station does a ton of unaired pilots first) can pull it off on a television level(Australia being the most obvious I suppose).

In other words; if Irish acts have any ambition at all, they shouldn't even consider RTE and aim for England. RTE shouldn't waste funds on this when they could focus on their strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Shane10 wrote: »
    just bring back rats

I Agree, Paths to freedom, although cringeworthy, was a good tv series. But then lets look at fergus wedding...TERRIBLE. Comedy is hit and miss and you dont need to have letters saying youre good or offers(Looking at vivadeadponies!!) to see this, there will never be a comedy that everyone likes, but when programmes are getting slated by 90% of its viewers, its time for the commissioning editor to put hands up and say, DOH i've done it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

paths to freedom wasnt cringeworthy atal, it was great. ya fergus's wedding wasnt nearly as good but still ok. the guy that was in paths to freedom - he was rats friend in the band with long hair cant remeber his name. always thought he was funny in bits ive seen him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

I Agree, Paths to freedom, although cringeworthy, was a good tv series. But then lets look at fergus wedding...TERRIBLE. Comedy is hit and miss and you dont need to have letters saying youre good or offers(Looking at vivadeadponies!!) to see this, there will never be a comedy that everyone likes, but when programmes are getting slated by 90% of its viewers, its time for the commissioning editor to put hands up and say, DOH i've done it again.

I was just being childish with yer man:D

were Fergus's Wedding and The Cassidy's on back-to-back?

did they ever give the two of them(Fitzgibbon and McElhatton) a third chance? Considering the success of Paths to Freedom, you'd think they deserved one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lbyrne1981

face it lads and lasses , nightlive is a sittin duck

i say we put some material together and send it to rte to show them what REAL comedy is

im thinking
    * profile of a D4 looser who gets paid in pints of HEINO to talk up rte's new "comedy".....but gets CREEEEAMMED by a 46A as he crosses the road lol

Better still, would anyone on this site be open to getting a petition to send in to rte? im trying to get online signatures together from the other message boards This is worse than FAS. If fat cat Roddy can lose his job over a few upgrades then surely this should be taken off the air. The greatest waste of money I have ever seen. Thanks, Liam. PS Say NO to Lisbon

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Firstly The roaring twenties was not great, agreed, but heres some facts for you. The roaring twenties was given a budget to shoot a pilot show. With the budget for the pilot they improvised and shot the entire series! I Can tell you that the budget for that pilot was not even a quarter of the WEEKLY budget for this rubbish.

The above is not fact.

lbyrne1981 wrote: »
    Better still, would anyone on this site be open to getting a petition to send in to rte? im trying to get online signatures together from the other message boards

there are no other message boards dude this is tha no1

im on for a petition but dunno if rte will listen to JohhnyHanjob

They should though cause I'd love to see my comedy sketches on tv

i will use my real name if your serious re : petition altho I could claim that Hanjob is Egyptian

you might want to drop the 1981 from your name - you might have a hard time convincin them that your some kinda f**kin robot lol

Hey BOND 007 if i want to post some comedy sketches can i do it here

• Advertisement

there are no other message boards dude this is tha no1

im on for a petition but dunno if rte will listen to JohhnyHanjob

They should though cause I'd love to see my comedy sketches on tv

i will use my real name if your serious re : petition altho I could claim that Hanjob is Egyptian

you might want to drop the 1981 from your name - you might have a hard time convincin them that your some kinda f**kin robot lol

Hey BOND 007 if i want to post some comedy sketches can i do it here
    I am serious about the petition. This is our money, money that could help people NOW. This 'comedy' is aimed at our age group so if they know that we have standards they'll stop making rubbish. We should be famous for our comedy. It's a pity the 'boys' aren't still active.

Hey, I have some sketches if you want to swap?

TheBlock wrote: »

The above is not fact.

i agree, it's not the federation against copyright theft (FACT) lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Time Trumpet wasn't even an great series by Armando Iannuccis' usual standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 irelandtvreview

TheBlock wrote: »

The above is not fact.

Apologies, i dont know 100% but i know a few people who were working on this and also knew the guys from BCFE that were doing it and they told me it was fact. If this is untrue i stand corrected. maybe you can correct the point?The Budget was still minimal for it i guarantee comapred to nightlive...which sucks by the way...did i mention that :p

lbyrne1981 wrote: »
    Hey, I have some sketches if you want to swap?

ya what about the nitelive gimps keepin an eye on this thread then???

you wanna see john ryan rob your material and use it???

f**kit i wouldn't care as long as it got on tv

YA HEAR THAT GIMPS???

lbyrne1981

can you PM me re : sketches

also let me know what music you like cause im not sharing a table with someone who might like cr*p like My Chemical Romance aka My Musical No Pants

if your stuff is any cop then we could go places I'm in D11 btw

ya what about the nitelive gimps keepin an eye on this thread then???

you wanna see john ryan rob your material and use it???

f**kit i wouldn't care as long as it got on tv

YA HEAR THAT GIMPS???

Ryan is a west brit. He probably loves owen harris and thinks Thatcher was the greatest. why doesnt he go back to his dogs in new york.

What sounds are you listening to at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'm surprised nobody in RTE has commissioned someone to adapt a screenplay from the Ross O Carroll Kelly series of books.

officially im listenin to lil wayne
    unofficially im listenin to the new animal collective which r*o*c*k*s

f**kin curfew

gotta go

talk tomorrow dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Aidric wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody in RTE has commissioned someone to adapt a screenplay from the Ross O Carroll Kelly series of books.

Nobody in that position would be able to detect the irony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 magnusnocens

Another Bucket of cheap sh**e from RTE, I might start watching fair city, I hear it's hilarious..... Nightlive, Oh please stop the pain.

officially im listenin to lil wayne
    unofficially im listenin to the new animal collective which r*o*c*k*s

f**kin curfew

gotta go

talk tomorrow dude

Music
    The Black Keys
    Elliott Brood
    Heartless Bastards
    Moros Eros
    The Blood Brothers

Ill try and get you those sketches tomorrow. Don't forget the petition idea.

Later, Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've just finished listening to a series on BBC Radio 4 entitled 'The Pilots that never Flew'. It's about the whole process under witch prospective comedy series in the UK and US undergo an initial 'pilot' episode before being fully commissioned, both on TV and radio.

Regarding 'Nitelive', I doubt RTE underwent 'best practice' and commissioned an initial pilot of this, dare I say, fucking travesty.

Those of us old enough to remember the RTE comedy warcrime called as 'The Press Gang' would have thought that they surely would have learned their lesson and wouldn't have given the keys to comedy commissioning kingdom to a deranged chimp escaped from a biomedical research facility that was duely mistaken on entry to Montrose for a UCD arts grad with family FF connections (in fairness it probably had mastered the basic motor skills of pressing a big yellow button to receive a banana and speaking in a D4 accent).

But oh-no. History is doomed to repeat itself yet again.

My critique of this sham of a travesty will, in it's brevity, be in league with Kenneth Tynan's review of "A Good Time was had by All" (No) and Spinal Tap's Shark Sandwich (Shit Sandwich).

Shitelive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would people use PMs for personal chatting eh?

I'll check that prog DW, "On Demand" hopefully.

But oh-no. History is doomed to repeat itself yet again.

My critique of this sham of a travesty will, in it's brevity, be in league with Kenneth Tynan's review of "A Good Time was had by All" (No) and Spinal Tap's Shark Sandwich (Shit Sandwich).

Shitelive.

Thank you. Brilliant post.

Take This OFF. Take this OFF. Take this OFF. Take this off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

mike65 wrote: »
    Time Trumpet wasn't even an great series by Armando Iannuccis' usual standards.

i really liked it. thought it was better then The Armando Ianucci show but it does suffer from not having one of his boys to mess about with. sure stewart lee & richard ayode are there (so is Adam Buxton) but for the type of show it was setting out to be it hit the nail on the head.

ur right tho, Iannuccis standards are extremely high. i mean this guy has been involved with partridge, brass eye, the day today & was the lead in The Saturday Night Armistace (amazingly good show). sure the humour is orientated towards all things britain but its still a giggle.

I still think John Ryan is trying to start his own sorta gang like that here, his press launch thing stank of something chris morris would say if he had his head in a microwave. second rate imitator. im really glad that this show is being universally panned and shown up for the farce that it is. written by an accountant.... says it all really.

at least we got a mention on their last show :) that proves how limited the 'talent' working on the show really is

And next week we catch up with an increasingly odd Tom Cruise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

lbyrne1981

can you PM me re : sketches

also let me know what music you like cause im not sharing a table with someone who might like cr*p like My Chemical Romance aka My Musical No Pants

Can we expect the rest of the sketches to be up to that Everest-like standard? If so , Im sure Galton & Simpson, Clement & La Frenais and Chris Morris are all en route to your gaff in a taxi with tape recorders primed as we speak.

Just kidding, of course. You go girl. Dont let no man keep you down. Etc etc etc.

Those of us old enough to remember the RTE comedy warcrime called as 'The Press Gang' would have thought that they surely would have learned their lesson

Press gang was a quite decent ITV Kids programme starring a pre-Snatch Dexter Fletcher, a pre-Eastenders the-one-of-the-Mitchells-who-isnt-fat-and-bald, and the lovely pre-Ab Fab Julia Sawalah.

The abomination forced on us by a sadistic Rté commissioning editor was "Extra Extra (Read all about it)" with Morgan Jones, who is neither as attractive as Ms Sawalah nor as good as comedian as the Mitchell chap from Eastenders. (And he's not that good of a comedian, to be honest.)

Jazzy wrote: »
    at least we got a mention on their last show :) that proves how limited the 'talent' working on the show really is

Great work, Jazzy.
    We have the numbers and the voice to get this thing off. And we KNOW they are reading us. It's a scandal that there are writers and performers who don't get a look in and this looser has given a TV show. Our money p*ssed down the drain. Another FAS, etc.

We can get this taken OFF the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Kenneth Tynan reviewed Spinal Tap? Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

johnnyhanjob, and lbyrne, what comedy DO you like? I'm interested in finding out why you think you could do any better....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement