Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Nitelive....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Funny how the most bandied about criticism of the show is unoriginal, yet then it's compared unfavourably to the Colbert report...
    yeah unoriginal...

not so much with the colbert report but with the daily show atleast you can watch that and got a good round up of the days news with a more honest appraisal then from the network news.
    his seems meant to be more a sitcom/mockumentary then that anyway.
    which remain stuck with ribbing celebs we have no real interest in anyway, more media incest from john ryan.

bloggarah was shooting fish in a barrel and that same with this show, it was better then expected but it was shooting fish in a barrel and that's why everyone commented the the scrolling jokes not focusing on the personalities was funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lostdoggy999

Aidric wrote: »
    Smacked of trying too hard, let down by poor writing. I might give it another go but probably not.

i agree with you. the host can't be the writer too. that is the problem with rte, not enough writers and tv 'star's' thinking they can write and perform a full tv show. As a huge fan of the day today I will give it one more go next week to see if it improves. doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Because I didn't think it was that bad. And to be honest when it comes to an Irish produced comedy I don't think the bit i highlighted from your post is true. There's a cynicism inherent in people's attitude to Irish comedy. I'm not saying it's that good - I'm saying it has potential. But if we all adopt the negative attitude people have to home produced comedy we'll never get anything worth while made.
    As someone else said it's far from the worst RTE have produced. I reckon it deserves a chance at least.
    But a huge amount of people do think it's bad. It doesn't say much for a show when people who worked on it have to sign up to message boards pretending to be Joe Public and claiming that the show is the next best thing.

I agree that there is a tendency for people to just berate a show, but look at what people are saying about the two shows that were on. It's not people just jumping on a bandwagon to boost their e-penis, they're legitimate complaints about the shows.

The shows don't seem to have been tested at all. It's like the writers wrote them, they filmed them and RTE put them on the air. You get so many great shows in the UK because they've had time to test their shows. They find out what works and what doesn't and change the shows accordingly. They then put the show on the TV and you get a well done piece of comedy.

If Nitelive, Project Ha Ha, Roaring Twenties and all the other failed "comedies" actually tested their shows (and not just showed them to a few friends and family) then we could be left with an actual decent TV show for once. Saying a show has potential isn't good enough. If you want a show to succeed it has to grab people from the start, not have people wondering if it'll get any better if they watch another episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

humanji wrote: »
    If Nitelive, Project Ha Ha, Roaring Twenties and all the other failed "comedies" actually tested their shows

Now I didn't like Nightlive but I wouldn't lump it in with the R*aring Tw*nties. And the Dead Cat Bounce episode of Project Ha Ha I found to be quite funny. I see it, while still in need of work, as a vast improvement on RTE sketch comedy in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Overunder

Yes I saw the spoof awards...(barry Murphy, Mark doherty wrote) it , Ive never seen a comedy take the piss out of rte's technical incompetence! (I count the technical glitches on the 6ONE news...sad i know..10 is their record) It was funny cause it was true, the rugby line up was another highlight!

• Advertisement

The trouble with Nightlive is that is is written by a producer who is basically an accountant -Cillian Fennell who has given the two fingers to comedy writers in this country (and there are great writers here, they are simply not employed, or wont be employed by RTE) So we have an accountant writing and who is John Ryan an actor? a Comic? No a freind of Fennells!! What anoys me most is the complete waste of tax payers money. There is talent here in the guise of Jones and Crowley who are experienced comics, but the leading man lets them look even worse than the bad writing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Overunder wrote: »
    So we have an accountant writing and who is John Ryan an actor? a Comic? No a freind of Fennells!!

probably having a circle jerk in one of Dublins cool spots. lines of charlie, champers on tap and a bunch of brainless models wandering around telling each other how great they are.

thats it boys & girls. thats how irish tv shows come into being.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Get Writing lads the next commisioning round will be open in June so plenty of time. Out of rounds always welcome if programme has been fully developed.

Sounds like a lot of you guys know how it should be done.

For what it's worth I got a fair few laughs from Nightlive and thought it showed a lot more promise than the steaming pile of ****e by Dead Cat Bounce after it. I also believe McSavages is complete rubbish.

In Fairness to RTE they don't write this stuff the commisiong editors simply have to pick the best from what comes through the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

humanji wrote: »
    The shows don't seem to have been tested at all. It's like the writers wrote them, they filmed them and RTE put them on the air. You get so many great shows in the UK because they've had time to test their shows. They find out what works and what doesn't and change the shows accordingly. They then put the show on the TV and you get a well done piece of comedy.

I don't buy this 'grass is greener' mentality -name recent good UK comedies - Peep Show is the only one that comes to mind - look at the amount of ****e the BBC produce with their resources; My Family, My Hero, The Mighty Boosh, 2 Pints Of Lager - they're just a few that come to mind. RTE doesn't have the money to invest in a show in the off chance it'll make it past a test audience. And shows pilots are rarely that good - most comedy shows find their voice and polish off characters as the show settles into a season.

We'll have to agree to disagree - I thought overall it was ok - maybe a 2 or 3 out of 5. But I'm willing to give it a while to settle in. Yes the spoof news show satire has been done before- but never from and irish perspective and I jst hope TIN can evolve and be a decent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't buy this 'grass is greener' mentality -name recent good UK comedies - Peep Show is the only one that comes to mind - look at the amount of ****e the BBC produce with their resources; My Family, My Hero, The Mighty Boosh, 2 Pints Of Lager - they're just a few that come to mind. RTE doesn't have the money to invest in a show in the off chance it'll make it past a test audience. And shows pilots are rarely that good - most comedy shows find their voice and polish off characters as the show settles into a season.

In fairness, the shows you mentioned have huge fan-bases, so they may not be your cup of tea, but they're still incredibly popular. And the formula for them hasn't really changed. But as I pointed out, there's few people who say the recent spate of Irish shows are great, only people saying that they possibly show potential.

And I wouldnt' expect RTE to test shows (the cheap b*stards! :D ), but the creators of the shows should be testing them themselves. It's what comedians have to do before they do a live routine, otherwise they're just going to die out on stage.

I just think that the shows should be of a good standard before they're shown. It's like in the games forum, everyone complains when a game is released before it's fully tested and the games get slated, even if they have good ideas in them. TV should be the same. Why should we have to suffer sub-standard programs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I don't buy this 'grass is greener' mentality -name recent good UK comedies - Peep Show is the only one that comes to mind -.
    Inbetweeners
    IT Crowd
    Extras

I'll wait until the next episode before further discussion of Nightlive. Good start though. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

This could be a very good show, I liked what I saw, shades of Drop the Dead Donkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

I don't buy this 'grass is greener' mentality -name recent good UK comedies - Peep Show is the only one that comes to mind
    I do agree that the UK isn't as good as it was in the past, but there's still some good/great shows.

peep show started in 2003 so I'm not sure if you count as far back as that, but a few very good ones I can think of are:
    • the thick of it(brilliant!)
    • saxondale(hit and miss)
    • inbetweeners(surprisingly good)
    • love soup(series 1)
    • darkplace(bit too boosh-y but I like it still)
    • outnumbered(great little sitcom)
    • 15 storeys high(near perfect)
    • ideal(if only cos it has Mark E Smith as Jesus)

A lot of these complaints seem to be arguing that everyone is out to despise ONLY Irish shows, I find on other forums that people are skeptical about anything comedy based that isn't by reputable source in England too.
    That may be due to the shocking awfulness of BBC3 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

thought it would have been better. i liked johnny handsom, with his daft startled look. could be very good but dosent look like it will tho. i thought they might be doing it where they wud have ad breaks and some talking in between type thing. behind the scenes type show. see what the next few episodes bring.

Look, the problem is quite simple, if you are a tv station, and you want to make a comedy show, (which of course will cost you a lot of cash circa 100,000 per episode (conservative estimate).... you hire a COMEDY WRITER who is experienced not a feckin accountant who you bumbed into in the rte canteen, who told you 'Ohh I've alllways wanted to write comedy OOOoh, sure anyone can do it,... will I zip you up now??'' It's an insult to the tv license payer and the tax payer and to anyone who has a fully formed sense of humour...NOTE: CIVIL SERVANTS SHOULD NOT MAKE TELEVISION OF ANY SORT IN THIS COUNTRY. GET RID OF THE AH SURE IT'LL DO IN IRISH TELEVISION AND PRIVATISE RTE!

Look, the problem is quite simple, if you are a tv station, and you want to make a comedy show, (which of course will cost you a lot of cash circa 100,000 per episode (conservative estimate).... you hire a COMEDY WRITER who is experienced not a feckin accountant who you bumbed into in the rte canteen, who told you 'Ohh I've alllways wanted to write comedy OOOoh, sure anyone can do it,... will I zip you up now??'' It's an insult to the tv license payer and the tax payer and to anyone who has a fully formed sense of humour...NOTE: CIVIL SERVANTS SHOULD NOT MAKE TELEVISION OF ANY SORT IN THIS COUNTRY. GET RID OF THE AH SURE IT'LL DO IN IRISH TELEVISION AND PRIVATISE RTE!

You must be nuts if you think 100 grand ber half hour would make a decent comedy show with " an experienced comedy writer".

Take it from me.

I was only trying to make the point if Nightlive cost a tenner, it would still be a waste of the publics money, Block. Sure a comedy needs a decent budget like any programme, but its talent at the end of the day that makes it work, including performers and lets not forget, in tv comedy editing and direction are paramount too, but if one link in the team is weak everyone sinks. in this case writing, directing, editing and performers all let themselves down..but knowing rte's love for Killinaskully and Katerine Lynch,,, Nightlive will feed their addiction to mediocrity ( Ha. 'Media-cra-pee',)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's cringe-tacular.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    RTE have a very bad habit of missing the point. especially in comedy. instead they tend to latch onto something that has already proved popular, dress it up differently, mutate it so that it seems original and then completely miss the point on wat made the original brilliant.
    Well said. Another example - Don't Feed The Gondolas after Have I Got News For You.
    Naked Camera was the poor mans Candid Camera Einstein
    ... which was a universal format. Mike Murphy wasn't the first.
    Sandwich wrote: »
    I know its traditional to trash 'RTE comedy' as an oxymoron , but credit where its due.
    It's not so much "tradition" as opinion.
    podge018 wrote: »
    I didn't even watch this but............ wait, I have no opinion, unlike some others in this thread who can bizarrely say it's ****e.
    Are you sure people on this thread who haven't watched it are commenting on it?
    TheBlock wrote: »
    Get Writing lads the next commisioning round will be open in June so plenty of time. Out of rounds always welcome if programme has been fully developed.

Sounds like a lot of you guys know how it should be done.
    Meh, people who take criticism personally always come out with that one. You don't have to be an expert in something to be entitled to criticise it. If you thought a song was crap would you hold back from criticising it because you're not a song-writer?
    People have the right to express their opinions - including ones which might not seem very "nice".

Oh LOL at the new accounts! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

You must be nuts if you think 100 grand ber half hour would make a decent comedy show with " an experienced comedy writer".

Take it from me.

Attention Scum! by Simon Munnery costed £60,000 for all six episodes.
    Looked f*cking awful but had some quality moments.

Dudess wrote: »
    It's cringe-tacular.

Well said. Another example - Don't Feed The Gondolas after Have I Got News For You.

... which was a universal format. Mike Murphy wasn't the first.

It's not so much "tradition" as opinion.

Are you sure people on this thread who haven't watched it are commenting on it?

Meh, people who take criticism personally always come out with that one. You don't have to be an expert in something to be entitled to criticise it. If you thought a song was crap would you hold back from criticising it because you're not a song-writer?
    People have the right to express their opinions - including ones which might not seem very "nice".

Oh LOL at the new accounts! :D

I don't understand what you mean by taking criticism personally as I had nothing to do with this show. I have no problem with people having an opinion on anything I was simply pionting out to people who have expressed opinions that writing an "original" tv show that got universal approval that they should do it and submit it to through the commissioning round. So I am not one of those "people" you are refering to. As the saying goes goess opions are like arseholes evryone has one.

• Advertisement

Attention Scum! by Simon Munnery costed £60,000 for all six episodes.
    Looked f*cking awful but had some quality moments.

I don't believe 60k covered all the costs of the production of 6 eps even in 2000. More than likely this was done without fees paid to writers and actors and was a co pro. 10K an ep would not cover camera and sound let alone producer, editor, writer, actor, editing along wih the misc costs involved.

P.S Where did you get the 60k figure from just curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Take it from me.
    If you work for RTE, and you are serious about that figure, then I will indeed take it from you and change my rating for the uselessness of our national broadcaster from DEFCON2 to DEFCON1.

Chris Morris is currently trying to raise 350K for his new six-part comedy series in the UK. That should give you a wee-bit of a benchmark.

Then again, considering the phone-number salaries that Kenny et al are being paid, your estimate does not surprise me.

If you work for RTE, and you are serious about that figure, then I will indeed take it from you and change my rating for the uselessness of our national broadcaster from DEFCON2 to DEFCON1.

Chris Morris is currently trying to raise 350K for his new six-part comedy series in the UK. That should give you a wee-bit of a benchmark.

Then again, considering the phone-number salaries that Kenny et al are being paid, your estimate does not surprise me.

Serious about what number...that 100k would not cover the costs a "decent" half hour ep of comedy with an "experienced" comedy writer? Well then yes I am. Do you know how much it costs to produce a programme? If Chris Morris can provide 3 hour of comedy for 350k tell him to pitch it to RTE.

Is he looking for a co pro or does 350k by the rights to the show? Can I get a source from you.

Kennys salary while absolutley outragious has feck all to do with the price of independantly produced shows in this country. Maybe best to look at the salary demands of second rate comedians who noboby finds particularly funny but people seem to watch in teir 000's

PS It's not my estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If Chris Morris can provide 3 hour of comedy for 350k tell him to pitch it to RTE.

From Wiki...
    In 2003 he was listed in The Observer as one of the 50 funniest acts in British comedy.[7] In 2005, Channel 4 aired a show called The Comedian's Comedian in which foremost writers and performers of comedy ranked their 50 favourite acts. Morris was at number eleven, above comedians including Bill Hicks and Peter Sellers.[8]

Chris Morris writing for RTE would be about as realistic as getting Zinedine Zidane to play for the Irish national football team.
    Is he looking for a co pro or does 350k by the rights to the show? Can I get a source from you.
    Sure....contact production@warpfilms.com
    Kennys salary while absolutley outragious has feck all to do with the price of independantly produced shows in this country.
    No, but it says a lot about how RTE can't even perform a basic negotiation process, nevermind produce quality tee-vee.

I was only trying to make the point if Nightlive cost a tenner, it would still be a waste of the publics money, Block. Sure a comedy needs a decent budget like any programme, but its talent at the end of the day that makes it work, including performers and lets not forget, in tv comedy editing and direction are paramount too, but if one link in the team is weak everyone sinks. in this case writing, directing, editing and performers all let themselves down..but knowing rte's love for Killinaskully and Katerine Lynch,,, Nightlive will feed their addiction to mediocrity ( Ha. 'Media-cra-pee',)

Both show you mention where absoulte ****e in my opion also but hey someone watches them. Killinaskully is in it's 5th series and regularly has 400,000 plus viewers and K Lynch done well off her one trick pony. But RTE has an obligation to show what the audience wants and in both cases they drew and audience maybe we should be complaining about Joe Publics taste :confused:

From Wiki...
    In 2003 he was listed in The Observer as one of the 50 funniest acts in British comedy.[7] In 2005, Channel 4 aired a show called The Comedian's Comedian in which foremost writers and performers of comedy ranked their 50 favourite acts. Morris was at number eleven, above comedians including Bill Hicks and Peter Sellers.[8]

Chris Morris writing for RTE would be about as realistic as getting Zinedine Zidane to play for the Irish national football team.

Sure....contact production@warpfilms.com

No, but it says a lot about how RTE can't even perform a basic negotiation process, nevermind produce quality tee-vee.

That's all well and good but doesn't address the piont.If he needs only 350k (and despite the above cannot pitch his new idea to British based stations with multiples of RTE's resources)why would he not take it from RTE? After all he would not be working for them as such but be an independaant production company.

I assume negotiations where based on the audience figures he draws for both his TV show and Radio Show, plus these would be linked to the advertising revenue these shows generate for the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

GET RID OF THE AH SURE IT'LL DO IN IRISH TELEVISION AND PRIVATISE RTE!
    Yeah, just look at the great track record of TV3 for innovative programming.

Both show you mention where absoulte ****e in my opion also but hey someone watches them. Killinaskully is in it's 5th series and regularly has 400,000 plus viewers and K Lynch done well off her one trick pony. But RTE has an obligation to show what the audience wants and in both cases they drew and audience maybe we should be complaining about Joe Publics taste :confused:

You have a point, but Irish audiences want Irish productions, and if all they're given is rubbish all they will watch is rubbish, I want value for money from my license, so I have to view home produced stuff, even if it makes me cringe, I think I'm like a lot of people, I'm not simply putting this stuff down for the sake of it...I WANT to see quality home produced material!! Maybe rte should look at how the BBC scout talent...by going outside the walls of the canner. And the point I keep making... You get a comedy writer to write a comedy script, if you don't do that, it is pure incompetence fuelled by arrogance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,172 ✭✭✭plodder

TIN is sh!te. The best anyone seems to be able to quote from it, is a few laboured puns.

Not very familiar with recent UK comedy, but I just watched a repeat of the first episode of "Pulling" on BBC3. Even though it was canned by BBC, it's better than any comedy i can remember from this country - ironic since it was co-written by an Irish woman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just after watching an episode and I thought it was pretty good. It made me laugh which is rare for an rte comedy. It definitely needs some work though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement