Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Nitelive....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

John Ryan has already written off the show himself in an article in last Sundays Tribune. Can't find it to post here, but he was expecting a good kicking from the critics before it even aired!
    He plans to put the worst reviews on the ticker tape for the next show.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Note to those who work with the show and then come on here saying how fantastic it is: We are not stupid. We will notice that you only have 1 post. Shilling is like baking a cake. You have to put a bit of work in to get results. If you have a show in production at the moment, start an account now. Work on posting for a few months. Then you will look less stupid and might even blend in.

/rant

I really wanted to watch this last night but the remote broke and the button on the tv broke and the other tvs were being used so from what I can gather from this thread I missed absolutely nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

The entertainment commissioning process in RTE is absolutely ridiculous. This is the public service broadcaster that gave us such gems as Failte Towers, The Cassidys, and any number of other shows that have been mentioned here. In fairness, the drama department does a reasonable enough job, as do the people who commission documentaries and sports programming. Whoever commissions their entertainment/'comedy' programming should be out of a job.

Hopefully whoever gets this - http://www.rte.ie/about/jobs/listing.html - will liven things up a little....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 choccydidgey

Ha unfortunately i'm not John Ryan. You have a point but I'm going to keep an open mind and see what next weeks episode is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

For what it's worth, I thought it wasn't bad. Sure, it's been done better abroad but given RTE's track record in recent years in comedy, I thought it showed some promise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Nothing compared to The Onion News Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ha unfortunately i'm not John Ryan. You have a point but I'm going to keep an open mind and see what next weeks episode is like.

it will be utter sh1te like last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

After all the s***e RTE have churned out over the years and advertised as comedy, it has become common and easy to mock and criticise them. I do it all the time myself.
    However, credit where credit is due. Nightlive is a breath of fresh air imo. The first half of the show was excellent but as another member siad, it fell away in the second half a bit. Overall I was laughing more often than not. The 'Turkish construction parody' was brilliant as were most of the reports at the bottom of the screen. The 'four word Irish name and 'ice queen' shows they're not afraid to go after well known RTE presenters too. I for one am very much looking forward to next week's show.

p.s.Boardsies should know that I have nothing to do with RTE or this show by the amount of threads I have made and will continue to make lambasting them.
    Sandwich wrote: »
    Darned funny I thought. John Ryan was excelent. The joke might be a bit thin but hope they can sustain it for a few more episodes.
    I know its traditional to trash 'RTE comedy' as an oxymoron , but credit where its due.
    redcrew wrote: »
    I laughed quite a bit to be honest...silly things like the Sunni South East...and the scrolling bar along the bottom.

I think it might take 2 or 3 episodes to get into properly but I'll give it a go next week
    I actually thought John Ryan was quite good in his role. Definitely the best thing on it. The material itself wasn't really up to scratch though.
    outlier79 wrote: »
    I thought it was a good first effort. It was self-mocking, didn't take itself seriously and had some great lines - "i'd love to hear an irish speaking vagina". As satire, the piece about charity building projects in Turkey was bang on the money
    I agree with the above. Quality sshow. Hope they can keep it up and keep it a bit more consistent the next day.

Cheers lads. Keep it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Crónhóle

Yeah, I too thought it was a good first effort, Some jokes did go by to fast to grasp them and the editing can be abit sharper. If they want to appeal more the Rock the recession with the Students can be in it more. Making fun of students always gets a laugh and the two students looks liked they could have pulled a few jokes out of ,Bring the same two back with their scarfs and take the piss out off them, Mr.Ryan. The Weather man Cloudy was good but reminded me some how of Steve Carrell's character Brick in Anchorman. All in all i hope it gets better and i look forward to seeing the next few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Crónhóle wrote: »
    Yeah, I too thought it was a good first effort, Some jokes did go by to fast to grasp them and the editing can be abit sharper. If they want to appeal more the Rock the recession with the Students can be in it more. Making fun of students always gets a laugh and the two students looks liked they could have pulled a few jokes out of ,Bring the same two back with their scarfs and take the piss out off them, Mr.Ryan. The Weather man Cloudy was good but reminded me some how of Steve Carrell's character Brick in Anchorman. All in all i hope it gets better and i look forward to seeing the next few.
    "If you like rain" and I have to laugh every time the production team join in and chant "It's gonna be cloudy!" :D

the students were good but their scripts could be stronger. The funniest thing about them was thier names, Barton something or other haha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thank God for Protestants!

Anything making good digs at students is fine by me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Crónhóle

amacachi wrote: »
    Thank God for Protestants!

Anything making good digs at students is fine by me. :)

Poor Students , we love to take the piss out of them. Poor Rory and Barton bring them back , Thank god for Protestants,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

It was nice to see them taking the piss of some 'sacred cows' (based on the traditional RTE or TV3 approach), particularly the charidee builder in Turkey and the charidee golf outing. There were some good laughs on the ticker tape.

I'm off work today, and I almost pi$$ed myself laughing at TV3's Midday show today, complete with airhead celeb girl, as Nightlive was in the back of my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gingerbox

nightlive, j1 summer, andrew maxwell's smoke and mirrors, the panel with no host, katherine lynch, a lucy kennedy chat show and now project ha ha.....don't really feel like a golden age of irish telly......and to think a while back they appeared to be doing decent enough stuff, naked camera, batchelors walk, paths to freedom, blizzard of odd, anonymous, the panel with a host.....methinks a few fluke's made 'em think it was easy, ah well who knows maybe macsavage will surprise us all and be funny, it'd be nice to take at least one person off the streets in these tricky financial times - he must be cold at this stage.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this is f**kin ridiculous. ppl creating bogey accounts to pimp a show that either they are involved in or their friends are.

so grand if they are going to read, read this:

This Is Nitelive is not funny. It is a cheap mutated rip-off of other shows from the 90's and of The Onion of today. It is dressed up differently then these shows but is another disingenuous effort on RTE's behalf to create 'celebs' of their own (John Ryan... as Jonny Handsome, oh my god how witty :rolleyes: ). You don't have the writing talent to pull off a show of this type. You have proved time and time again that you miss the point on how mock news shows are funny and how they work. The new comedy that has come out of RTE in the past 4/5 years has been extremely poor.. in fact I dont think I've seen anything good come out since Paths To Freedom.

Stop just telling us the shows are funny. You seem to think that the more you tell us that somehow they will magically become funny. They aren't. Simple as that. If you can't see why they are not funny then its as simple as this - you do not know what good comedy is or else everyone working as a comedy writer at RTE is very very low brow. The fact that randomers are creating accounts just to pimp that p1ss poor show is testament to the fact that I'm right about this. If the show was actually good there would be no need to pimp it on boards.ie

Is this a reoccurring pattern at RTE? It just sounds like no1 is thinking anything through and an idea snowballs until it is a big mess. This whole show reeks of someone watching Anchorman and The Day Today and then thinking "I can do that!" and then saying it to their mates who just go "f**k yeah!". The whole idea then spirals out of control as you actually have no1 at the station who understands how to make that kind of humour work. instead you get the resident writers to put in a few funny words and a few funny faces and dress it up halfway decent until it looks presentable. Underneath it is just a big giant mess with no direction, no depth and no understanding. It will be shoved in our faces and told "this is excellent yoof comedy that is cutting edge". my a$$. my big fat license fee paying a$$.

look, you got Michelle on Celeb BB, quit while you are a head and enjoy the coke filled nights in Kry Style or watever the Ivy used to be while you stroke each others ego's and tell yourselves how great you are. Film that, that would be hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

somebody been hard at work putting way to much detail into the wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_is_Nightlive

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/jan/04/the-diary-ken-sweeney-ryan-expects-a-good-kicking-/
    Publisher John Ryan is used to getting some stick and he is expecting to get plenty tomorrow night when RTÉ airs the first episode of his new weekly parody, This Is Nightlive, set on a fictional TV news show with Ryan in the role of anchorman Johnny Hansom. RTÉ was so wary of what the critical reaction might be, it refused to send advance tapes out to journalists.

Ryan himself is expecting the worst. He told one pal this week, "I expect to be taken out the back and given a good kicking. The thing is, I can take a punch at this stage."

Indeed he can and that's why I was amused to hear that Ryan plans to reproduce the worst reviews for the show on a ticker tape going across the screen during the next episode.

im sorry but i don't give a **** of you take the criticism well, i'd much prefer you make a good show!

all i see there is a pathetic attempt for John Ryan to cause controversy. jesus, if hes going to do that at least do it right instead of going in half-a$sed. (edit - in my haste i forgot the first bit of the following quote)

“Watch this programme now, because it will never be allowed a repeat. British law prohibits a video release and I'm too puked out to consider a second series. Brass Eye should put an end to the recent spate of feeble, under-realised faux-prankster drivel. It won't of course. It will just spawn another host of second-rate imitators. So top this, you quisling fucks.

“The whole of the media is a deception, everything that happens is a deception, cloaked in coded statements - a pay rise, a sacking, whatever. I can't stand that high-handed attitude that there's a proper way to behave. Everyone's fucking about. I’m just displaying it. You can dupe people till the cows come home as far as I'm concerned'.”

who said that? oh right, Chris Morris. and when? just before Brass Eye was going to be shown on channel 4. probably the person John Ryan is basing himself on. never seen a poorer, more pathetic attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

How tired and predictable the response to this show was. It was a hit and miss pilot, one of the hundreds that we've witnessed from all over the world in recent years. No wonder RTE cant make a comedy - they're never given the time to do so. No matter how good TIN could turn out to be it'll still be slammed by the typical 'too-cool' cynical begrudgers who love to **** on everything RTE produce.

I dont know if TIN will turn out to be a good show, but I saw enough in the pilot to want to watch the second episode to see if it can improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dont know if TIN will turn out to be a good show, but I saw enough in the pilot to want to watch the second episode to see if it can improve.[/QUOTE]

it wont its not original just unfunny garbage when you see something that is original and funny its jumps out at the viewer this did not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Didnt bother watching this tripe, the dismal ad said enough. Wow, what an original RTE programme. Ill bet its creator DID NOT watch The Day Today, Anchorman and the Office.

• Advertisement

Funny how the most bandied about criticism of the show is unoriginal, yet then it's compared unfavourably to the Colbert report...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Funny how the most bandied about criticism of the show is unoriginal, yet then it's compared unfavourably to the Colbert report...
    Why do you want to defend it? If a show is good, people will praise it. If it's bad people will tell it how it is. From the majority of people here, the show just wasn't up to scratch. John Ryan actually expected it to be critically panned. So why the f*ck did he still insist on going through with it? Was it just so he can lull himself into a false sense of smugness by scrolling the negative reviews across the screen in the next episode? Is it because he's some sort of masochist who gets off on his own failures? He could of just made life a whole lot easier by making a show that's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I will say this for TIN. It is not the worst comedy RTE has ever produced. Granted this is like being called the best dressed man in Albania.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I will say this for TIN. It is not the worst comedy RTE has ever produced. Granted this is like being called the best dressed man in Albania.
    What's wrong with that? I got it two years running.

humanji wrote: »
    Why do you want to defend it? If a show is good, people will praise it. If it's bad people will tell it how it is. From the majority of people here, the show just wasn't up to scratch.

Because I didn't think it was that bad. And to be honest when it comes to an Irish produced comedy I don't think the bit i highlighted from your post is true. There's a cynicism inherent in people's attitude to Irish comedy. I'm not saying it's that good - I'm saying it has potential. But if we all adopt the negative attitude people have to home produced comedy we'll never get anything worth while made.
    As someone else said it's far from the worst RTE have produced. I reckon it deserves a chance at least.

i like irish comedy. i like talented comedians. i like cleverly written irish shows (thought paths to freedom was excellent). i want there to be good irish comedy. but if something is cr@p, its cr@p. i knew nitelive would be awful, you could tell from the ads. i gave it a shot anyway as i love pisstake news style shows. i didnt laugh, i cringed in that bad way. i didnt appreciate the way it was put together and i thought the whole show stank of shameless self promotion of the various 'stars'.

if something is good and funny i will laugh... if something is as shameless as this tripe i will pan it. look at all the fake accounts set up on this forum that are there just to promote it and specifically, John Ryan. i mean f*kin hell, what are the ppl in the offices trying to achieve?

the only reason John Ryan panned it from what i read was to try and stir up controversy, like Chris Morris would. that article is incredibly transparent and the man is a farce. as Morris would say, hes a quisling fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jazzy wrote: »
    who said that? oh right, Chris Morris. and when? just before Brass Eye was going to be shown on channel 4. probably the person John Ryan is basing himself on. never seen a poorer, more pathetic attempt.
    Will Self once described Chris Morris as 'God'. I agree.

RTE trying to emulate TTD/Brasseye is, to use a Chris Morris phrase, 'a tragic brainwrong'. It leaves you with the same feeling of being a teenager and seeing your Dad trying to breakdance at a family wedding party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

I've been looking for this online but can't find it anywhere.

I'd watch it because I loved Blogorrah while it lasted, purely for the writing which was consistently hilarious. Not sure if J. Ryan did any of that or if was mostly the other two lads, can't remember their names I'm afraid.

One of them (I think) went on to do the chancer, which is very funny.

lol at the shill accounts set up to pimp the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

One of them (I think) went on to do the chancer, which is very funny.

I was wondering why The Chancer liked Nightlive. That explains it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I didn't even watch this but............ wait, I have no opinion, unlike some others in this thread who can bizarrely say it's ****e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement