Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Nitelive....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 outlier79

I thought it was a good first effort. It was self-mocking, didn't take itself seriously and had some great lines - "i'd love to hear an irish speaking vagina". As satire, the piece about charity building projects in Turkey was bang on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The news tracker on the bottom had funny stuff but it moved too slowly for me.

QUOTE]

The ticker crawled along didn't it!? Just keep it at an ordinary pace and the mini-laughs will come. I wonder now if the speed of the ticker was intentional but thats beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Their set and graphics are better than the real ones from TV3! Show was OK, might give it another go to see if it improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine it was to take account of the average RTE comedy fan.

re Apartment, soz if I impugned your integrity but as you can see already there are a few debuts on this thread. It happens every time RTE starts a new comedy. Nice that boards is now so important for sounding out opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

outlier79 wrote: »
    I thought it was a good first effort. It was self-mocking, didn't take itself seriously and had some great lines - "i'd love to hear an irish speaking vagina". As satire, the piece about charity building projects in Turkey was bang on the money

Is the Boards RTE Comedy First Post Club a bit like the Joy Luck Club
    without the Luck or the Joy?

Weakly scripted,poorly paced, the gaps where id imagine a joke on the awful gaps that appear in the shows it was having a dig at.

Too many bad actors turn to comedy in this country!:eek:

It was stuck between too knowing and not knowing enough, there is a fine line and they tried to draw it with a cheap roller:rolleyes:

I would love to know how many script edits RTE comedy shows go through because it never looks like enough
    eg. Apparently some epsodes of Peep Show have gone through over 20 script edits
    (only has 2 writers)
    I cant see ANY RTE show going through more than 2-3 edits
    Some would be lucky to see 1 K. Lynch for example :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tighter editing could get rid of those awkward pauses too.

To paraphrase McBain - "That was the joke!"

They were going for that **** TV3 News style. Didn't work though. As already pointed out the news anchor in Dead Cat Bounce was far sharper.

Oh and to Apartment - Hi Mr. Ryan, better luck next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

elshambo wrote: »
    Is the Boards RTE Comedy First Post Club a bit like the Joy Luck Club
    without the Luck or the Joy?

Weakly scripted,poorly paced, the gaps where id imagine a joke on the awful gaps that appear in the shows it was having a dig at.

Too many bad actors turn to comedy in this country!:eek:

It was stuck between too knowing and not knowing enough, there is a fine line and they tried to draw it with a cheap roller:rolleyes:

To be fair to John Ryan (;)) He does have a point about that Charity Building thing. Good satire there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apartment

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    To paraphrase McBain - "That was the joke!"

They were going for that **** TV3 News style. Didn't work though. As already pointed out the news anchor in Dead Cat Bounce was far sharper.

Oh and to Apartment - Hi Mr. Ryan, better luck next time!

Just to clear things up I am not John Ryan, I am a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it could have been worse but it was just a mishmash, it was satirsing american tv more then irish, it didn't do enough current stuff. :/

the day today satirised itv and an american influenced news broadcasting but its targets were people like, who was it... cook, the aggressive news reporter, a brit.

john ryan was doing the irish man pretending to be american, theres plenty of them around especially on radio, but who is it on irish tv news is he satirising?

stephen colbert satirises rightwing americans because he's in america., ryan needs to satirise the irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i was woundering about the silence the other day, while watching the best comedies on tv3 with that sitcom ed byrne was in, they never get the silence right, the same with your bad self, there always cheap echo sound on the sitcom, american sitcoms sound better, and maybe deadcat bounce could have done with a real screening audience laughter....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

The word necessary:

TRITE

My God. Offensively bad. It tried for that edgy "ooo did he just say that" brand of humour.

And:

Failed.

And I love offensive humour. But this was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

it could have been worse but it was just a mishmash, it was satirsiing american tv more then irish, it didn't do enough current stuff. :/

Yes that is what I was thinking. It would have made more sense to target RTE's brand. The idea of the ostentatiously gaelgoiri woman anchor was good but poorly played through...

The show had little comic timing at all and its attempts at edginess were just awkward.

Thought the newsroom in Dead Cat Bounce was better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

lovin being right :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

try as this show might it will never be as good as the following:

The Day Today
    The Onion
    Brass Eye

those prodictions ooze class and are extremely well written and have a certain bounce and flow to them. that drivel i saw last night was a cheap propped up imitation which completely misses the point in how to make a mock news show. spouting out a few fairly funny words until they make sense and sound controversial doesnt make a good mock news show. "Sunni South East" or watever that was was not funny. its just a cheap play on words that makes little to no sense. the writers of this show have not only missed the point, they seem to have done their best to make sure that they will never ever find it.
    im gonna put this out there - i could write better stuff then that sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Jazzy wrote: »
    im gonna put this out there - i could write better stuff then that sh1te

:rolleyes:

I thought it was ok - not great, not awful, but ok. It DEFINITELY needs tighter editing and it was hit and miss but the gag per minute ratio meant that would always be the case.

I won't write it off after one show but I hope it picks up - regardless of what was said here some of the satire was very Irish related - the Stephen Ireland pisstake and the Rock the Recession two came to mind. I also liked how they started talking about how the irish arent comfortable talking about abortion before dropping it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DLL

Personally I loved it! JR was fantastic - I'm still chuckling from the Poling the Poles gag! Don't remember the last time something on RTE made me laugh out loud!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redbiro

I watched it last night and actually think its probably the best comedy show RTE have seen in a long time. Genuinely funny. The format is fresh and the writing is sharp. What other show on RTE can even be compared to Nightlive?

DLL wrote: »
    Personally I loved it! JR was fantastic - I'm still chuckling from the Poling the Poles gag! Don't remember the last time something on RTE made me laugh out loud!:D

Well at least you made yourself laugh John Ryan. That's all that matters. ;)

redbiro wrote: »
    What other show on RTE can even be compared to Nightlive?

Yet another new account to discuss Nightlive. :rolleyes:

Dead Cat Bounce afterwards was far superior redbiro.

Although people's complaint that it wasn't taking the piss out of anything Irish is off - it's TV3 news and programming that it's really taking the piss of (just not too sharply!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 choccydidgey

I thought John Ryan was excellent. Saw the ad last week and I didn't really know what to expect but it made me laugh. This is unlike anything else i've seen on RTE. Loved the "asparagus day" sketch. Very clever. I think last nights episode set the scene, a lot was fit into the half hour! I will tune in next week :)

• Advertisement

I thought I/my friend was excellent.

Fixed your post.
    This is unlike anything else i've seen on RTE.

Unfortunately it's quite like and inferior to things we've seen on BBC (The Day Today), Channel 4 (Brass Eye) and online (The Onion) before many times.

I wish I was John Ryan - he's going to make a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Stargal wrote: »
    It's a good idea, badly executed. Unfunny, uninspired and unwatchable.
    +1. Had to turn over it was that bad. Cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

I thought John Ryan was excellent. Saw the ad last week and I didn't really know what to expect but it made me laugh. This is unlike anything else i've seen on RTE. Loved the "asparagus day" sketch. Very clever. I think last nights episode set the scene, a lot was fit into the half hour! I will tune in next week :)
    mike65 wrote: »
    Amazing, another new RTE comedy thread and another debut poster with the thumbs up (cynical moi? ;) )
    And another. Too many to be a coincidence. I wonder if the RTE managment use Boards threads to evaluate shows...

I wish I was John Ryan - he's going to make a fortune!

In Irish comedy? Nobody makes a fortune in comedy here.

Maybe he'll be the first!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not with the sh*te he rolled out last night.

Maybe.....

Flying_Pig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what planet are the people who commission these shows on?

do they sit around a table and say yes this is actually funny

its bloody shamefull that my licence fee is squandered on this garbage:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I gave it a chance but i had to switch over, the missus was throwing daggers across the couch.

it looks like John Ryan spent too much time watching The Onion or Colbert after his Dog magazine went breasts up.

I also tend to have issues with writers who cast themselves in a major role, M. Night Shyamalan in The Happening anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement