Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Nitelive....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

after watching most of the show. i thought it just lacked venom and conviction just not enough punch or pace. most english shows that are any good just go for it. as a few have said maybe it was the editing. i thought there was a good few jokes that didnt get through.

after reading many of the messages it not surprising many comedians go to england . why oh why do we drive the good ones away , like for (bad)examples , oscar wilde, brendan behan and many others.

i wish dermot morgan was still alive i really do miss him. he was our chris morris. he would have rich pickings today. its not as if we dont have anything to take the piss out off. the amount of self righteous commentators in this country is un fkin real.

id like throw des bishop in the comic ring along with andy "surrealist" maxwell. Des imho would make a good comic actor. whereas ,tommy tiernan is getting near the end . his ego is tooo ooo big. i thought it funny that he could break america.

where is our peter cook, or peter sellers ?
    but at least the mad man spike millian kinda irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dermot morgan is not chris morris. not by half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what was the name of the guy that wrote scrap saturday....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Gerard Stembridge. And he's good, but he's not our Chris Morris Either. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

Jazzy wrote: »
    dermot morgan is not chris morris. not by half

maybe not. but he was nearly as subversive. at the very least he was a one man spitting image. we havent had good cutting satire since scrap saturday.
    all the comedians now are worried about upseting their sponsors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i watched the show for the second time on sat night repeat, found myself laughing quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Overunder

AH IS THAT SO shane? You must be one of the cast then! If not, maybe you should get help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Overunder wrote: »
    AH IS THAT SO shane? You must be one of the cast then! If not, maybe you should get help!

ha no defo not one of the cast but it definately looks like its gonna be "cloudy"...oops ive said to much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Overunder wrote: »
    Maybe rte should look at how the BBC scout talent...by going outside the walls of the canner.
    This is what I don't understand about RTE. Or even Ireland in general. We have the skilled and trained people capable of doing the job but we put muppets in charge that haven't a clue what there doing. allot of Irish shows sound good on paper, have some good aspects to them but overall just fail.

It's every where though from hospitals to government. We should just hire in top level management from abroad if only to learn from them.

michael o'leary to write all rte comedy from now on, hes the ony man who do anything these days it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Shane10 wrote: »
    i watched the show for the second time on sat night repeat, found myself laughing quite a bit.

From looking at your posts, you seem to like most RTE shows Shane. What do you think of Ear to the Ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭pickles_17

its poo and so is project ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

JFC

WTF

It has to be the worst TV I have seen in a long long time. RTE have stooped to a new low....lower than Glenroe....:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Oh sweet jesus.
    I had to watch it coz a bloke i work with was on it.
    Its the worst thing i've EVER seen..utter,utter tripe.
    That bit talking about the camel toe..they way he kept looking at the camera,it reminded me of the class arsehole persisting with a "joke" when everybody is roaring at him to sit down and shut up.
    I'm actually offended that this show got made..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Watched a bit of tonights

It was alright, its a collection of other peoples jokes but
    tonights could have been decent if the auld script wore a belt

I even smirked a few times:eek::D

The Chris Morris impersonation is coming on;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They should have just given that PatKenny/MarkCagney/MarkLittle pastiche character his own show and made an Irish version of KnowingMeKnowingYouWithAlanPartridge rather than this poor mans DayToday that Nitelive more or less is apeing. The show is total crap but I see some potential in that fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

elshambo wrote: »
    Watched a bit of tonights

It was alright, its a collection of other peoples jokes but
    tonights could have been decent if the auld script wore a belt

I even smirked a few times:eek::D

The Chris Morris impersonation is coming on;)

Have you been drinking meths or something?

Degsy wrote: »
    Have you been drinking meths or something?

Its possible

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Degsy wrote: »
    Oh sweet jesus.
    I had to watch it coz a bloke i work with was on it.
    Its the worst thing i've EVER seen..utter,utter tripe.
    That bit talking about the camel toe..they way he kept looking at the camera,it reminded me of the class arsehole persisting with a "joke" when everybody is roaring at him to sit down and shut up.
    I'm actually offended that this show got made..

There is very little truly original comedy about. Everything picks up from what has come before. Haven't seen the Colbert programme on which it is based.

Not bad, in fairness. Just watched it. "Lorraine Keane" was brilliant. John Ryan aint popular but I'd give it a few more watches before giving a verdict. RTÉ have so poorly served the viewing public in the home grown comedy stakes I can understand a lot of the cynicism being expressed in earlier posts. I hope it doesn't fizzle out though as I'd say it requires a lot of writing to fill the programme with quality material. That's my two cents worth.

Support your local comedy industry !

garbanzo wrote: »

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 wolfgang123

My thought exactly

caught half of this after watching blood of the irish but hmmm

watching the scrolling bar distracts you from the show, it ok with skynews becuase the stuff is going to be repeated in five minutes it doesn't work on comedy show.

special comment directed towards this board with the line

"Furious internet board user tells mum to stop paying for tv licence" :)
    well i can tell them our mothers aren't watching this either.

and another one for "evening herald writer realise there not going anywhere writing for the evening herald", which was the nearly funny remark for this fair review of the first show.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ha-ha-ha-thats-really--funny-rtes-idea-of--new-comedy-is-to-take-a-cut-off-wait--for-it-yes-rivals-tv3-1593333.html

this is nightlive; nearly funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Poor mans Brass Eye.

Unbelievable how poor that effort was. I hear Arthur Matthews is involved in a project for RTE this year, beyond that the comedy side of things looks weak. 'The Minister for Cocaine'? 'Longing for Long Kesh'?

Piss poor effort, Apres Match did the 'I'm a middle class woman from Dublin 4 who presents showbizz 'goss' with a bit of a transatlantic accent while the country is sh!tting it about something generally relevant' thing right with their Expose knock off skits (which are actually hilarious) and as I said above Brass Eye nailed the fake news show perfectly, and in a way nobody should've tried to follow up.

I don't think RTE are incapable of being funny (Paths to Freedom mar shampla) but Dublin Stories and This Is Nightlive are both the kind of thing I'm glad are on the telly outside tourist season.

garbanzo wrote: »
    There is very little truly original comedy about. Everything picks up from what has come before. Haven't seen the Colbert programme on which it is based.

Not bad, in fairness. Just watched it. "Lorraine Keane" was brilliant. John Ryan aint popular but I'd give it a few more watches before giving a verdict. RTÉ have so poorly served the viewing public in the home grown comedy stakes I can understand a lot of the cynicism being expressed in earlier posts. I hope it doesn't fizzle out though as I'd say it requires a lot of writing to fill the programme with quality material. That's my two cents worth.

see you don't to realise that John Ryan isn't popular because of his obsession with celebs, eg lorraine keane, you even have to question how funny charlie brooker is on screenwipe if all he does is that piss out of gok wan and big brother.

there's alot of people coming on here who may work in comedy/tv or want to saying oh its not that bad, these people spent a lot of time on this... so say its better then it is.

its like people encouraging you to support and go see shamerock rovers instead of man u, even if they not as good, which i agree with but i don't think it applies to comedy shows, when we see something worth supporting locally we'll support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 irelandtvreview

Hi Everyone, was googling this pile of tripe and came across this thread so had to post. The Programme Says it all really, Worst comedy RTE Have commissioned yet to date! This needs to go and only us the viewing public can do something about it. There are a lot of talented comedy groups and sketch artists in Ireland, but yet again RTE have given this idea to some gang of people who havent a clue. Im all for giving a chance to talented people but not to muppets who should go and just release their ideas on youtube or a personal website so they can look at themselves. Thats why im giving them this award. Well done to all involved!

7b198eb58d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mickb85

Less of the Chris Morris comments, this show does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as The Day Today, anyone who believes so should take a look back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyX-CwHpAQ

The only redeeming factor is the anchor's voice, which is so TV3 he should perhaps forget parody and just go work for Ireland AM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

"Furious internet board user tells mum to stop paying tv for licences" :)

really?! brilliant. that is actually brilliant.

i posted this a few pages back but after tonites show i presume more ppl from RTE and yer mans mates will be looking at this forum again so i must re-post just in case they didnt get the message -

“Watch this programme now, because it will never be allowed a repeat. British law prohibits a video release and I'm too puked out to consider a second series. Brass Eye should put an end to the recent spate of feeble, under-realised faux-prankster drivel. It won't of course. It will just spawn another host of second-rate imitators. So top this, you quisling fucks.

“The whole of the media is a deception, everything that happens is a deception, cloaked in coded statements - a pay rise, a sacking, whatever. I can't stand that high-handed attitude that there's a proper way to behave. Everyone's fucking about. I’m just displaying it. You can dupe people till the cows come home as far as I'm concerned'.”

-Chris Morris, press release the day before Brass Eye was scheduled to air.

i didnt watch tonites show of course because that would be wasting my time. instead i played computer games and we all know how productive they can be....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

saw this for the first time tonight. Tis incredibly unfunny disgraceful rip off of the day today really and looks like theyre tryin to copy anchorman with their logo picture.
    Deffo won't be coming back to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Overunder

Shane10 wrote: »
    ha no defo not one of the cast but it definately looks like its gonna be "cloudy"...oops ive said to much now.
    Mind you that catch frase is good though, how did they think up that one eh?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I didn't actually realise I was supposed to know who John Ryan was. I thought he was just another Rte staffer who didn't have a very good grasp of comedy.

Thanks to various sources, I now know he's a failed publisher of animal interest magazines who doesn't have a very good grasp of comedy.

I'm not sure that I'm better off for knowing this, to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement