Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is Nitelive....

Options
  • 30-12-2008 8:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

so I see RTE are making the poor mans version of The Day Today 14 years later once they think everyone has forgotten. just like how Naked Camera is the poor mans Trigger Happy.
    Im expecting maybe a few guilty laughs but in all it wont be as clever or have the same longevity of Chris Morris' first foray into telly. its definitely looking far cheesier and probably wont take itself as seriously as The Day Today... which is pretty much proof that RTE is missing the point (just like when they show at the end of Naked Camera all the ppl that have been duped). The Day Today was so brilliant because it took it self so ultra seriously, naming your 'Anchor' Jonny Handsome immediately negates this so Im expecting a full urination over Chris Morris original idea. well done RTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I agree... haven't seen it coz it hasn't actually been filmed but your right its absolute ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

just some pre speculation. i doubt im going to be wrong tho, RTE have a very bad habit of missing the point. especially in comedy. instead they tend to latch onto something that has already proved popular, dress it up differently, mutate it so that it seems original and then completely miss the point on wat made the original brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Naked Camera is the poor mans Trigger Happy.

Naked Camera was the poor mans Candid Camera Einstein

einstein says that naked camera like trigger happy uses established characters in a hidden camera style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i think this was all conjured up on the basis that john ryan wanted to wear red braces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

TheBlock wrote: »
    I agree... haven't seen it coz it hasn't actually been filmed but your right its absolute ****e.

Well since it's starting tonight on TV I would guess that it has been filmed.

I saw the pilot and it had 1 good joke that I liked. It's more Anchorman than Day Today and it robs stuff from everywhere.

Set your expectations on 'low'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I just saw a promo for this....

From RTE's website
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/thisisnightlive/
    This is Nightlive

Anchorman Johnny Hansom and his team present this weekly Lifestyle News show where 'they are the news'

CHANGE - You Can't Believe In. This is Nightlive is a new half-hour weekly show beginning on Monday 5th January.

Nightlive, best-dressed current-affairs team in the 2008 VIP Style Awards, is in its fourth year and heading into an uncertain future.

Lead by Johnny Hansom (born: Declan Foley), an increasingly unhinged former DJ, the show - the first from RTÉ's Lifestyle News Department - is struggling to find the right tone as the country sinks into recession.

Into this world comes Una Og Nic Ni Suillicaint, a beautiful new co-host with a lofty news agenda. Unfortunately, she's chosen a news team as dysfunctional as the stories it reports. Joining Johnny are entertainment correspondent Jackie Byrne-Daly, sports reporter Trevor Corocran and weatherman Mike 'Cloudy Walsh.

Theres also an article here
    http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/jan/04/the-diary-ken-sweeney-ryan-expects-a-good-kicking-/

I'm going to take a deep breath and give it a go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So its a parody of TV3?

terrible stuff.

Sunni south east?

It ain't The Day Today

I just bailed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I'm quite enjoying it

edit - second half was a bit crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

It's just over now and I won't be watching again. It's a good idea, badly executed. Unfunny, uninspired and unwatchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

I found it hard to watch, it's like they tried to take several bits from other programs mashed them together and hoped for the best.
    The lead fella looked as if he's trying to copy the Colbert style, there is only one Colbert:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Smacked of trying too hard, let down by poor writing. I might give it another go but probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Pretty much an attempt to mash together several elements from other better sources and failing miserably. Nothing original whatsoever and not very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Darned funny I thought. John Ryan was excelent. The joke might be a bit thin but hope they can sustain it for a few more episodes.
    I know its traditional to trash 'RTE comedy' as an oxymoron , but credit where its due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

I laughed quite a bit to be honest...silly things like the Sunni South East...and the scrolling bar along the bottom.

I think it might take 2 or 3 episodes to get into properly but I'll give it a go next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The idea has potential but they really didn't carry it out as well as they could have. There were some funny bits, to give them credit.

The thing that bugged me throughout was the overall silence throughout. The pauses seemed really awkward and it carried on for the duration of the show.

RTÉ tried to mash together the Office, Anchorman, The Daily Show / Colbert Report amongst other things here. It hasn't quite gone too well so far but I'm prepared to give it another lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I actually thought John Ryan was quite good in his role. Definitely the best thing on it. The material itself wasn't really up to scratch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apartment

It was better than I was expecting.:)

Project HA HA on the other hand is absolutley dreadful!

• Advertisement

Amazing, another new RTE comedy thread and another debut poster with the thumbs up (cynical moi? ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

gerky wrote: »
    I found it hard to watch, it's like they tried to take several bits from other programs mashed them together and hoped for the best.
    The lead fella looked as if he's trying to copy the Colbert style, there is only one Colbert:)
    Yeah that's exactly it. A half-assed mixture of The Day Today, Anchorman, Colbert Report and the Daily Show performed by the Rathmines and Rathgar Musical Society.

twas a big load of cr@p. RTE trying too hard and the whole thing was entirely unoriginal. looks like they are trying to emulate The Onion among others. pity the onion has some actual talent behind it, the ppl writing this and putting it together dont have a clue as to what good comedy writing is. they reckon if they tell you its good then it will be, pretty much like any of the recent shows RTE has farted out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Stargal wrote: »

performed by the Rathmines and Rathgar Musical Society.

oooh SNAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

One or two mildly entertaining ideas, let down by terrible material and performances more suited to a youth club stage drama about the dangers of Heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wolfgang123

****e. As is Project ha ha / dead cat bounce. Who the hell keeps commisioning this dross ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Anyone see that satire on the Irish Television Awards done by the same people who did Soupy Norman (I think)? it was on RTE late the other night, had me in bit laughing, best Irish comedy I've seen in around 5 years. This was an improvement on the average RTE stuff but nothing amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 warrenstown

RichTea wrote: »
    The thing that bugged me throughout was the overall silence throughout. The pauses seemed really awkward and it carried on for the duration of the show.

It wasn't bad but that odd silence in the studio was annoying alright! Tighter editing could get rid of those awkward pauses too.
    Some of the lines were funny such as their entertainment correspondent being 'beautifully preserved' (a dig at Lorraine Keane?).
    The news tracker on the bottom had funny stuff but it moved too slowly for me.

Ryan doesn't seem to be afraid to rip the piss out of Irish media institutions either, which is a good thing.

Couldn't help but notice that the news anchor in the following HA HA programme was a bit funnier that the Johny Hansome character!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apartment

mike65 wrote: »
    Amazing, another new RTE comedy thread and another debut poster with the thumbs up (cynical moi? ;) )

Okay you got me ..I admit it...I'm the writer.

Not! :)

Yes cynical you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Apartment wrote: »
    Okay you got me ..I admit it...I'm the writer.

Not! :)

Yes cynical you :rolleyes:

Well your humour is certainly out of date enough:eek:
    to have written that dross:D:D

BTW :D;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement