Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I just found out a short while ago we're having a little girl.

I'm buzzing now cos everything is fine:)

We couldn't find out at the first scan as she had her legs crossed

Only 6 weeks to go

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just had the 8 week scan yesterday and they said we are 8 weeks and 4 days. The doc and my wife could see the heart betting, I couldnt make out baby even let along the heart!!! Im still not let use my name "Just in case someone on here knows you" I'm not let tell anyone until after the 12 weeks even though she is telling work today(Because she has to) and she is also telling a friend from work. when i asked could I do that well lets just say i wont be asking again ;)

BUT ANYWAY I GOT TO SEE MY BABY...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Hi All,

IM A DADDY!!!!! Finally, after what seemed like a 15 month pregnancy my lovely wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on Thursday. Both are doing well. To all you men who weren't sure about looking at the 'business end' during the birth - just do it!! It's just a truly awesome experience!! :eek::D

Oh, and after watching a woman go through this, every mother is a total hero in my eyes. Us men are complete wimps in comparison! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Congratulations,absolutely the best feeling in the world becoming a dad

DUBACC wrote: »
    Hi All,

IM A DADDY!!!!! Finally, after what seemed like a 15 month pregnancy my lovely wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl on Thursday. Both are doing well. To all you men who weren't sure about looking at the 'business end' during the birth - just do it!! It's just a truly awesome experience!! :eek::D

Oh, and after watching a woman go through this, every mother is a total hero in my eyes. Us men are complete wimps in comparison! :D
    Great news. Congratulations :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

we had to go abroad as we couldn't conceive naturally. so last week the O.H. had an eight week scan and it was confirmed then that we're having twins. words cant and to this day still cannot describe how we feel. T.B.H. i've never been one for kids but when i heard their wee heart beats i just went to jelly, and now with the morning sickness well and truly under way it's slowly starting to hit us that it's actually real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

we had to go abroad as we couldn't conceive naturally. so last week the O.H. had an eight week scan and it was confirmed then that we're having twins. words cant and to this day still cannot describe how we feel. T.B.H. i've never been one for kids but when i heard their wee heart beats i just went to jelly, and now with the morning sickness well and truly under way it's slowly starting to hit us that it's actually real.

Congratulations! My wife is 38 weeks now so things are geting close. The sickness didnt go until 17 weeks and came back again..

Its nice to hear a good news story like yours! Hope all goes well for you both.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm already a dad with a little fella that'll be two in November but we're expecting twins in August/September. Three kids under two is a daunting prospect but I'm looking forward to it all the same. I don't think I can fully remember the first six months with the first little man; he didn't sleep that well but he didn't have collic or anything so we were lucky in that regard.

Little fella is a ball of fun and constantly laughing, pointing at cars and saying "de de..car!" and his latest thing is showing off the most unique dance I've ever seen at the slightest hint of music.

Even though it's tough at the start lads, never worry too much. It's worth every second. :)

I have noticed that the OHs snoring right now is worse than the first time though...
    I'm a heavy sleeper and if I don't get to sleep first, I'm likely to be awake for quite a while....anyone else have that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not sure if it's the right thread, but can any fathers recommend a good book to prepare for fatherhood? Obviously a book will never prepare you, but I'd still like a read of something father related!
    Baby is due at the end of october btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Not sure if it's the right thread, but can any fathers recommend a good book to prepare for fatherhood? Obviously a book will never prepare you, but I'd still like a read of something father related!

Yeah...the biggest hardback book you can get your hands on, and instead of reading it, bash yourself on the head with it constantly for three minutes to simulate the effects of sleep-deprivation.

Seriously, the 'What to Expect' series is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I am reading this book:
    The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year. Its cool for monthly breakdowns.

I'm also reading the new contented little baby which is better for preparation and some good baby tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Yeah...the biggest hardback book you can get your hands on, and instead of reading it, bash yourself on the head with it constantly for three minutes to simulate the effects of sleep-deprivation.

Ive read "the blokes guide to pregnancy" by John Smith & am currently reading "fatherhood" by Marcus Berkmann. (I dont know why I thought I needed to read two books,) If I was to pick one id go for "fatherhood" simply because it has given me a good few laughs & plenty of joke lines ive been able to claim as my own. Both give you what you need to know & I quite enjoyed reading them apart from the fact that they give you what you need to know.

My wife is making her way through "the day by day pregnancy book" by Doctor Maggie Blott. Firstly its a big hardback & would be perfect for what Diblinwriter suggests but it also gives me a better idea of what my wife is going through. Theres pretty much a page for every day & you just read it during the adds on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

had to see one of my company doctors recently and explained the whole situ of the wife being pregnant, constantly sick all the time and my head being melted just watching and doing nothing. at then end of it all she recommended "what to expect when your expecting". went out and bought it. so far looks like a good book, on the back theres other editions one called " what to expect the first year". by the way the authors name is heidi murkoff.

My other half just had a sweep performed this morning so it could be all systems go very soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

found out a few weeks ago my lady is pregnant and had the most amazing day yesterday, the scan is possibly the coolest thing i have ever seen , mad how clear it was no one can believe it, its like a fully formed lil person already not just the usual looking at a picture wondering whats going on lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Gers_punto wrote: »
    found out a few weeks ago my lady is pregnant and had the most amazing day yesterday, the scan is possibly the coolest thing i have ever seen , mad how clear it was no one can believe it, its like a fully formed lil person already not just the usual looking at a picture wondering whats going on lol

Time flies.. This time last year I was looking at my little one on the scan.. Today she's been sticking her tongue out at me and has recently taken to blowing mushed carrots all over the TV.

Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

I can finally start to post here now as we have passed the 12 week mark and told all the family! Come on jan 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

absolutly can nt wait to see our il baby, been looking at the scan picture in bewilderment since we got it done... Really cannot believe it has happened me, its everything i ever wanted with the only woman ill ever need...

its true what they say it changes your life. were 14 weeks gone and its 11 weeks gone that have been the best of my life. Picking up the essentials bit by bit..

so so excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

I can finally start to post here now as we have passed the 12 week mark and told all the family! Come on jan 13th.

come on this fri til we see the baby again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If I could give real honest advice on a set of DVDs and a book that I would suggest Dads to be should watch & read, these would be the ones..

1) The Band of Brothers box set..
    - With a few beers, as many bags of crisps you can consume in 10 hours, and a box of maltesers (a shoebox)

2) The book D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.

.. Because when Junior arrives, you'll have plenty of free time but it won't come in the chunks you need to enjoy the above essestials the way they should be enjoyed.

Now is the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

My wife gave birth to a lovely boy today!

I'm a daddy!

soddy1979 wrote: »

I'm a daddy!
    Congratulations my friend. Enjoy and treasure every minute:)

soddy1979 wrote: »

I'm a daddy!

Well done soddy. Hopefully I will be posting the same message before the weekend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

Thanks folks. It was a funny one actually.

This time last night, my wife showed me a bit of brown mucous on the loo roll, and thought it must be the start of the plug. We went to bed about 11pm, and I moved into the back room at 1130 to give her more room in the bed.

At 1am, she woke me up to show me loo roll again, more mucous now, with a bit of blood. She called the nurse at the hospital then, who said it was probably a show and to keep an eye on it, and movements etc. Anyway, we couldn't feel any movements for about an hour (baby was very active yesterday evening), so we packed the car, and headed off to the hospital. They admitted my wife to the ER, did a trace and an ultrasound - all grand. Doctor on call said head was down, but not engaged. He said, it was unlikely she would give birth until week 40, but she could also be back in two hours. Got home at 4am.

Wife started getting what she thought was fake labour at about 445am. I ran a bath for her, and at the end, she had a large bit of bloody mucous. She then went to loo and had LOADS more (I thought it was a hemorrhage - I was SH!TTING it).

Back in the car, raced to hospital. Wife got checked straight away, and was 2CM dilated. Nurse, said the blood was just show (not messing, there was half a cup of blood at least) She was checked an hour later and was 7-8CM.

Baby born two hours later on 36+3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Well my little girl Cara decided to join us today.

She arrived weighing in at 8lbs 3ozs.

She is beautiful and i'm smitten all over again.

My partner was amazing and i could never do what she did.

I'm so very lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Congrats :)

Congrats!!!!. My missus is nearly 2 weeks over I am praying something will happen before Tuesday..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

had 13 week scan yesterday. It was great. IT looked like a baby now. Could see the spine, head and heart beatting away like mad. I was told you could see the hands and feet too but i couldnt.

IT was doing what look it headbutting my wife. it looked very funny.

I need to call it something other than it. Can some one fire some names at me, and "It cant start with THE ..."

Come on 20ish week scan so i can see it again.

Advertisement