Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

had 13 week scan yesterday. It was great. IT looked like a baby now. Could see the spine, head and heart beatting away like mad. I was told you could see the hands and feet too but i couldnt.

IT was doing what look it headbutting my wife. it looked very funny.

I need to call it something other than it. Can some one fire some names at me, and "It cant start with THE ..."

Come on 20ish week scan so i can see it again.

We called our baby tiddles before we found out she was a girl..:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I need to call it something other than it. Can some one fire some names at me, and "It cant start with THE ..."

We went into a bookstore and got a book of Sci-Fi names for babies- literally every single name used in Startrek, The X-Files and all manner of other TV series from about 1960 to the modern day....... We'd have sooner shot ourselves than use any of them longterm, but it was fun calling our little one some of the names in the book, until we settled on the final name we wanted to use.

Just woke up now to be told herself is starting.. Hope she comes now today..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭SEORG

Hi all, looking for some advice. Did/do you all go to each appointment with your partner?
    I'm knew to all this and want to be as involved as possible but don't know what the procedure is for clinic visits etc.

Haven't had any scan or anything else yet. Just the GP visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

smccarrick wrote: »
    We went into a bookstore and got a book of Sci-Fi names for babies- literally every single name used in Startrek, The X-Files and all manner of other TV series from about 1960 to the modern day....... We'd have sooner shot ourselves than use any of them longterm, but it was fun calling our little one some of the names in the book, until we settled on the final name we wanted to use.

I used to call ours 1 of 9 before she was born. Didnt impress the missis at all.

Come on 20ish week scan so i can see it again.

Offspring!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

SEORG wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice. Did/do you all go to each appointment with your partner?
    I'm new to all this and want to be as involved as possible but don't know what the procedure is for clinic visits etc.

Haven't had any scan or anything else yet. Just the GP visit.
    I went to most of our anti-natal classes. I should have gone to them all. It is a great show of support and you will probably be able to help on the day and on the lead up to it. Its good for both of you to have all the information.

We didn't get a scan until 20 weeks. We have 5 days to go and that was it; no other scans.

I'm Just curious about this; generally on the first born; do they tend to come before/after/on the due date?

Corki, best of luck, 2 week wait had to be difficult! Hope everything goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

thrilled to be having my first in dec...but i'm being litterly killed by my beautiful o.h.....i mean killed.....is this normal? I can't do or say anything right at all...and saying nothing makes it worse!! help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

thrilled to be having my first in dec...but i'm being litterly killed by my beautiful o.h.....i mean killed.....is this normal? I can't do or say anything right at all...and saying nothing makes it worse!! help

It's normal for women to have a few "hormonal episodes" (I feel I can say that because I am a woman :eek: ), but at the same time there is such a thing as going overboard. Some do just take the piss and go too far, and to be honest I wouldn't allow it... There were a few times when my partner told me to cop on when I was pregnant on the girls and in hindsight I was over reacting when I we were having arguments etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Trotter wrote: »
    I used to call ours 1 of 9 before she was born. Didnt impress the missis at all.

I like that, since i keep telling her we are going to have 8 childern. One for each day of the week and one as spare, just in case we leave one somewhere and cant find it!

So 1 of 8.

Might get hit with one of the "hormonal episodes" January is talking about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

i'm sure this is not the norm but my OH's first was 2 months early, second was bang on the due date and the third now due on 2nd of Oct but I'm not expecting him till xmas now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

In University Hospital Galway my wife only got 1 ultrasound scan. There was no other scans. All is fine tho, the baby is very active. It would have been nice to get another look to see that everything was still in place.

4% of babies come on their due date... that few? I had heard that they generally come 2 days plus or minus the due date.

Our hospital will let her go 10 days over and no more... are there different policies for different hospitals in Ireland?

Saoirse came tonight at a healthy weight of 8 pounds 10. Poor mammy was in labour for over 24 hours.:mad: Women are absolutley amazing creatures. The staff in CUMH are lovely people too doing a fantastic job.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Saoirse came tonight at a healthy weight of 8 pounds 10. Poor mammy was in labour for over 24 hours.:mad: Women are absolutley amazing creatures. The staff in CUMH are lovely people too doing a fantastic job.:)

Congratulations! Lovely name too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

aww, congrats Corkie, im delighted for yee both.:D

I have a question for fathers both new and old and expecting. Im 33 wks on our first, i get so worried and nervous sometimes that i cant stop crying. Yet OH seems absolutely fine and calm about it all. im starting to feel that there's something wrong with me as he's just business as usual.

Do/ did/ will yee be comfortable telling OH if yee were nervous/ worried/ anxious about becoming fathers? I say "seems" because ive seen him get nervous about job interviews and that before, so his calmness now is really starting to freak me out!!:eek:
    Dont get me wrong, he comes to classes and scans, and talks to bump but still......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sniipe wrote: »
    In University Hospital Galway my wife only got 1 ultrasound scan. There was no other scans. All is fine tho, the baby is very active. It would have been nice to get another look to see that everything was still in place.

4% of babies come on their due date... that few? I had heard that they generally come 2 days plus or minus the due date.

Our hospital will let her go 10 days over and no more... are there different policies for different hospitals in Ireland?
    My partner got 2 scans in UCHG and baby was delivered last Friday:)

No idea how or why. As did our other 2 children.

Congrats to all the new Daddies! Can't believe its over 6 months now since we did the maternity ward trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

+1 on that.

I played sport to a pretty decent level and had to give up because of a couple of very serious injuries.
    But i couldn't go through what my OH went through with our kids.
    She's amazing and i do make sure i let her know regularly

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

wow, best of luck tonight!!

Best of luck Captain.I was only thinking of you let us know what happens..:)

You will know what love is when you hold that baby..:)

deeduck48 wrote: »
    aww, congrats Corkie, im delighted for yee both.:D

I have a question for fathers both new and old and expecting. Im 33 wks on our first, i get so worried and nervous sometimes that i cant stop crying. Yet OH seems absolutely fine and calm about it all. im starting to feel that there's something wrong with me as he's just business as usual.

Do/ did/ will yee be comfortable telling OH if yee were nervous/ worried/ anxious about becoming fathers? I say "seems" because ive seen him get nervous about job interviews and that before, so his calmness now is really starting to freak me out!!:eek:
    Dont get me wrong, he comes to classes and scans, and talks to bump but still......:confused:

Thanks.:) I was very easy going at 33 weeks because there is a long time left. My missus went 12 days over but I was a nervous wreck around the due date and worse after that. Your O/H will be fine he will be worried when he sees you in that labour ward...:)

Come on captain the suspence is killing me.. i hope all is well

Congrats! :)
    The first night I spent at home while Mammy and baby were in the hospital was great. I had 2 cans of diet coke, a 6 pack of crisps and I watched Willie Nelson live in concert. I knew everything was ok, and I relaxed a bit and slept all night. Enjoy tonight.. Enjoy the simple things and have a good sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

reading all this is making me wish our son would come sooner! he is due in october and we cant wait to meet him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Congrats to all the recent parents in here.
    Haven't been on this thread but my wife is due on the 20th of this month in UCHG.
    No sign of anything happening yet. Feeling excited, happy, and slightly aprehensive(nothing major)

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Congrats to all the recent parents in here.
    Haven't been on this thread but my wife is due on the 20th of this month in UCHG.
    No sign of anything happening yet. Feeling excited, happy, and slightly aprehensive(nothing major)

Hope all goes well Kippy. Dont worry about it at all, as I said to Captain no words can describe the love you will feel for that baby when he/she comes along.

@Captain I am delighted for you both. What you calling him???:)

Advertisement