Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So she says she doesnt want hot food - it makes her feel sick, she doesn't want cold food - it makes her feel sick, how about a sambo? - she doesn't like brown bread - it makes her feel sick, how about a white bread sambo - it makes her feel sick.
    So what would you like I says - "you just dont care" she said..so I've retreated :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Supercell wrote: »
    So she says she doesnt want hot food - it makes her feel sick, she doesn't want cold food - it makes her feel sick, how about a sambo? - she doesn't like brown bread - it makes her feel sick, how about a white bread sambo - it makes her feel sick.
    So what would you like I says - "you just dont care" she said..so I've retreated :D

Ah.. The memories you've stirred up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

I felt the little thing kicking for the 1st time last night. 18.5 weeks and it has a fare kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I felt the little thing kicking for the 1st time last night. 18.5 weeks and it has a fare kick.

We were debating about that when my daughter was on the way, Herself reckoned ballerina on the way, I thought kickboxer :) At one so far she's definitely leaning towards the latter :)

Boy on the way now at 34 weeks and he's doing mexican waves in his mom's tummy :)

Well my wife is a brown belt in kickboxing, her brother is on the county football team, so im thinking boy or girl it will kick the be jasus out of anything it gets near!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LukeKennedy

Hi All, just reading through the form and there's a lot of great advice, so thanks.
    My ex-girl friend is 14 weeks gone, it's all a bit crazy......but still hoping for a boy :)

Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rubberdecky

Hi all,

Seeing as it is still too early to tell mates etc but am itching to tell someone, my missus is 10.5 weeks gone with bubba no.2

Scan on Aug 30 and cannot wait, bubba no.1 is only 9.5 mths old so we are clearly mental but am still very excited.

Missus has been sick as a dog the past 3 weeks, migraines, nausea, infections, all sorts. Didnt help that she was just back to work the start of August off Mat Leave. Has been a fun few weeks!

Congrats to all fellow fathers-to-be and for those who are awaiting their first child, you are in for some of the best experiences of your life! My daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to me!

/emotional rant

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

How's everyone,

It seems ok to write here now, The missus will be 12 weeks on Monday with our first and the scan is booked for Wednesday. So its getting close, She has done fantastic so far, Had a few weeks of bad nauses and vomiting but seems to have settled in the last two weeks or so. Getting a bit worried thought I come from a long line of twins, (Im directly related to 8 sets) and my wife is getting big already, Its fairly visable that she is pregnant even at this stage:mad:
    Cant wait for wednesday and being able to tell people and the missus can come out of hiding at last

I know how you feel shnethb. i have twin brothers, she has twin brothers and he uncle and aunt are twins so it was a strong possibilite for us to but thank fully we are only having one.
    Would love to have twins but to start off with twins i think would be Very hard.

As for telling people i wanted to do it at week 5 and everyday from that till we finally told people at week 13.

Hope all goes well wednesday.

I just realised that in my earlier post I put a Angry Face :mad: instead of worried/ excited face :eek:. It might not have painted me in the best light;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Only 3 weeks to go until I become the best Daddy in the world to the best girl in the world!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Only 3 weeks to go until I become the best Daddy in the world to the best girl in the world!! :P
    it's all ahead of ya chilly. heres a taste :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5TzUb2jHUc
    oops what am i saying, i'm only down the road to :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 squirrely

well lads didn't think I would be coming to this thread for another while but c'est la vie.... just found out this week that we are expecting our first, 7 weeks gone..... don't think it has sunk in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

squirrely wrote: »
    well lads didn't think I would be coming to this thread for another while but c'est la vie.... just found out this week that we are expecting our first, 7 weeks gone..... don't think it has sunk in yet

If you are anything like me it will hit you like a tonne of bricks in a week or two, then hit you in waves for the next 9 months! :D

Stay strong brother :p

Could end up like me last year, sent home after the labour (3am) and sat at home with a beer trying to get used to the title "dad" :)

Its awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I love this thread... It's one of my favourites on boards.ie :)

Good luck to all the new fathers and fathers to be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The 8 month old lil lady in my house has got attitude.. I was expecting it to happen sometime around.. 16 years old.. but clearly its happening early.

When the spoon of food reached her lips today, she stared at it and blew hard to send it all over her mother's clothes. This happened 3 or 4 times so I decided it was time that Daddy brought order to the house. He is the king of the house afterall and what he says goes.

So I marched in, pointed at the child after she did it again and said.. Thats bold. For a split second she looked at me, conceded that I was indeed the boss, opened her mouth and ate the food.. Mammy was indeed impressed. Her highness then turned her head to me and..

Spat the food straight at me.

In her attempt to do the coolest raspberry she could manage, she scored 9/10 on distance, dispersal and and cheekiness.

I cannot believe it was only Christmas when the doctor handed me this little bundle. She's growing so fast I feel like I can't keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 squirrely

cheers lads, jaysus never realized just how much stuff is needed.....its fairly daunting.....i'm already dreaming of maxi cosi's and quinny's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Only getting a chance to post today! Well, we had a little Boy (Ethan) on the 6th August at 12:13am by c-section. Was all a bit of a shock tbh, it all happened so quickly - but he is amazing!

Weighed in a 8lbs 6oz even though he was 4 weeks early, doc said he could have been an 11 pounder if he went to 40 weeks! All is going really great, and we have settled into the routine pretty quickly, he is also very good and only cries a little when hungry (which is often!) - so hopefully he stays as content for a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hiya lads,

Heading in for a section to get my new twins out into the world tomorrow morning - any advice on how to keep herself calm (bit nervous at the thought of, what is, major surgery) or any other tips?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

.....i'm already dreaming of maxi cosi's and quinny's. :D

I've already had a "bugaboo" nightmare....my wallet hasn't recovered yet.

smokingman wrote: »
    Hiya lads,

Heading in for a section to get my new twins out into the world tomorrow morning - any advice on how to keep herself calm (bit nervous at the thought of, what is, major surgery) or any other tips?

Cheers!

name dispute maybe? we are still going strong on our one with 5 weeks left.

Need something that makes her actively think of something else. I wouldn't do a film or anything unless she is the type to get completely engrossed in it, my OH uses film and TV time to think of something to say at the crucial plot bits :P

If you think talking about the baby won't help, talk about job stuff, anything that promotes her stopping and thinking is good. If nothing else, tell her you will buy her something for X amount of money after the baby and it can be anything under X amount

Best of luck with the surgery tomorrow! Looking forward to the post tomorrow (or realistically in about 3 weeks :D)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hiya lads,

Cheers!
    What reassured me when I had them was that I knew that my husband would stay with our children while I was recovering from the surgery (have an 11 week old and a 16 month old), he changed their first nappies so that it was not someone strange doing it. Best wishes.

Cheers for the suggestions all - herself is into the big brother thing so maybe I'll force myself to watch it tonight (urrrgh!) to get some material.

...or maybe I'll start chatting about some of the DIY projects I've been thinking about (was thinking of building a gazebo in the garden). Might enjoy that a bit more :)

We already have a little man that'll be two in November but I think she's really going to miss him for the few days she's in hospital. He's been pretty generous with the spontaneous hugs and kisses with her in the last two weeks (almost like he knows) so just when this starts happening, she's thinking that he'll hate her after the twins come home. Might take a few videos on the phone of his latest adventures, might be something to ease that maybe.

Anyone who had to deal with the whole new-baby jealousy from a previous kid got any advice on that one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Cheers for the suggestions all - herself is into the big brother thing so maybe I'll force myself to watch it tonight (urrrgh!) to get some material.

...or maybe I'll start chatting about some of the DIY projects I've been thinking about (was thinking of building a gazebo in the garden). Might enjoy that a bit more :)

We already have a little man that'll be two in November but I think she's really going to miss him for the few days she's in hospital. He's been pretty generous with the spontaneous hugs and kisses with her in the last two weeks (almost like he knows) so just when this starts happening, she's thinking that he'll hate her after the twins come home. Might take a few videos on the phone of his latest adventures, might be something to ease that maybe.

Anyone who had to deal with the whole new-baby jealousy from a previous kid got any advice on that one?
    I took an a4 sized photo of our son in when I was having his sister, it did help though I did cry over missing him. My husband brought him in as soon as possible and I gave him a big hug. In terms of jelousy - our son did not like his sister at first but he got used to her. I made a point of hugging him and spending extra time with him - we end up having one child each (I know that you will have 3 so you will be even more busy) and rotate. Our son now rocks his sister's pram when she is crying.

Well, I'm a Dad again...and again ;)

Two little boys weighing in at 6lbs 14 ounces and 7lbs 1 ounce respectively.
    I'm over the moon even despite trying to deal with a third world health service.

We went in for 7:30 am and between one thing and another, only got to go to theatre at 5:30 pm.

The operation itself was sweet, after I arrived in and chatted to herself for a few minutes, she turned to the nurse and asked "can you let me know when it starts so I can prepare myself". Nurse turned to her and said "they're almost finished!". That spinal is something else!

She'll be in there for a few days but she's feeling great, the twins are healthy and breastfeeding really well and since there wasn't a little girl in there, I don't have to buy a shotgun :)

I'm over the moon even despite trying to deal with a third world health service.

We went in for 7:30 am and between one thing and another, only got to go to theatre at 5:30 pm.

The operation itself was sweet, after I arrived in and chatted to herself for a few minutes, she turned to the nurse and asked "can you let me know when it starts so I can prepare myself". Nurse turned to her and said "they're almost finished!". That spinal is something else!

She'll be in there for a few days but she's feeling great, the twins are healthy and breastfeeding really well and since there wasn't a little girl in there, I don't have to buy a shotgun :)

Congrats, Thats great news.

Great to hear it, congratulations! You've a tag team! :D

To be honest, and I know it's early days yet, I'm left wondering why everyone doesn't have a section.

Compared to our first one where herself had a natural (albeit induced) one that involved hours of screaming pain, for this one herself didn't even break a sweat and it was over in a few minutes! I know there'll be a scar and she'll be sore for a while but it's so much less traumatic and as she said herself, it's incredibly civilised! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

To be honest, and I know it's early days yet, I'm left wondering why everyone doesn't have a section.

Compared to our first one where herself had a natural (albeit induced) one that involved hours of screaming pain, for this one herself didn't even break a sweat and it was over in a few minutes! I know there'll be a scar and she'll be sore for a while but it's so much less traumatic and as she said herself, it's incredibly civilised! :)

Major surgery... risk of infection... c sections are no walk in the park... major abdominal surgery is what it is... I'd NEVER choose a c section over a natural birth... and I've had a c section (albeit an emergency one!).

As an aside, has anyone here ever had surgery on their abdomen? What is the first thing you are told not to do? Lift anything? Anything other than a kettle!? Yet they leave you to look after your baby less than a few hours after you have had major surgery (and when you are nearly usually always still hooked up to a MORPHINE drip!) and do things on your own, surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit regarding this yet from a groggy mother dropping her child...

Advertisement