Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Trotter wrote: »
    We "the survivors" who have got through our other half's labour with our liathroidí still attached, should have the guts to put real tips up here!! Real ones!

My real tip would be to spend as much time as possible away from the business end. Keep talking to your other half, and if she doesn't want to talk, stay where you are.

Im serious...

Leave your phone outside or turn it off. When family and friends know your in the hospital, my phone never stopped ringing, i turned it off, she wasnt too happy with the constant texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Im serious...

Leave your phone outside or turn it off. When family and friends know your in the hospital, my phone never stopped ringing, i turned it off, she wasnt too happy with the constant texts.

Agreed.. I left mine on the window sill and left it on silent. I had a sneaky check every couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

killiank wrote: »
    delighted to say I got the good news today that im going to be a daddy. early days yet & I exepct to be spending a lot of time on this thread over the next 7/8 months. A lot of learning to do.

Congrats Killiank - welcome to the club! Long journey ahead but great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Trotter wrote: »
    Don't laugh when your other half has the epidural and starts talkin shoyte through sheer relief.. The midwife gives out to you.

Tip.

Or when they have the gas and air and start cracking jokes like they think they're a comedienne, crap jokes at that too... :o

January wrote: »
    Or when they have the gas and air and start cracking jokes like they think they're a comedienne, crap jokes at that too... :o

Yep. For the love of God if she makes a joke.. LAUGH.
    Failure to laugh... I can't even bring myself to type the consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

forget about days dragging along! hours feel like days...:( the house looks like Mothercare, all my conversations are regarding labour and babies...
    Can't concentrate in work, can't plan anything....this is feicin torture! Can't imagine what my gf is going through....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

well i'm a long way off that kind of worrying! My wife is due in November....but I'm planning ahead already - any b&bs near Holles Street that I could use if labour stretches on through the night? Any advice?

Fidge13 wrote: »
    well i'm a long way off that kind of worrying! My wife is due in November....but I'm planning ahead already - any b&bs near Holles Street that I could use if labour stretches on through the night? Any advice?

Your other half must be way sounder than mine. :) I was allowed to go to the nearest Supermacs for half an hour. Once things got going then I didn't want to leave.. Nor would I have been allowed :P Bring one of those U shaped travel pillows. It's likely you'll just be sleeping for an hour or two in an armchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Fidge13 wrote: »

If my boyfriend leaves me while I'm in labour to go any further than the nearest vending machine, he might not be allowed back! At all...! ;)
    Will have a little labour bag packed for himself as well, including pillow, blanket, snacks and drinks. Snacks and drinks being the important things for him as he has diabetes- I don't want him to have to go looking for food just as I'm about to start pushing! :eek::D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

i brought snacks and drinks into the labour ward to help me survive while the wife was high on drugs,
    the wife and midwife told me at one stage to go off and get a sambo and a coffee. went off for a half hour, scoffed the food and enjoyed it, and nothing had progressed when i got back.
    longest day ever, but so emotional and well worth it.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

We heard the heartbeat for the first time AND she started to feel kicks for the first time this week.

Not even physio is helping with the back pain (she has a bad back anyway).

I'm minding my P's and Q's (and every other letter for that matter) for fear of the hormonal consequences.

Hormones really are a handy excuse (whether that's to blame or not) for saying anything she likes and leaving me with no comeback. On the bright side only 4 months left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Wahoo. A dad at last. Amazing stuff. Better get my act together now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Mrs Glic is due Sat the 14th,cant wait the last few weeks have dragged i know when it all happens time will fly but for the moment its like its at a stand still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I know it's been said before but I now truely appreciate sleep!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes this is what I should be reading. We are in week 27 of twin pregnancy. OMG the weeks go so slow and then when you have the critters you prob spend every waking minute(of which there are lots) thinking of whether they will be OK. Im supposed to be reading up on all the preger stuff but cant concentrate long enough so I decided to just set up a website called http://twinsmiles.com and write most of the stuff I learn into that as a way of keeping up to date. Try it yourselves. Write a blog. Its a great way of getting your stress down on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Hi Pauldry - as it happens I started writing a blog myself more just because there was so much going on in my head & I wanted to try to remember how I felt etc. I dont think anyone woudl be too interested in anything id have to say or anything but im hopeful my wife would like to read it after the birth & I think it will be a nice thing for myself to have a record of. (im a bit nerdy about keeping records like that :)) I'll post a link in a week or 2 on the off chance that anyone is interested in reading but not a huge amount up there yet.

Hey all,my wife had a baby boy friday night at 8.10,Ryan we are calling him,6lb 12 oz,got to go home 2day as well which was even better,best feeling in the world to see the little man after the 9 months wait!!!!!

OK - into the home straight over here. Just over 2 weeks to go and the brain is about to explode with a million worries and fears. If i had to use one word it would be Aaaaaarrrrgghhhh!!!! :D Funny thing is that the Mrs is so chilled about it but i am the one whose head seems to be rotating! To be honest im glad she is so relaxed but as i said above, Aaaaaarrrgh!!!

Any other lads feeling/felt like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Our baby daughter Sadhbh arrived on the weekend...cannot not express in words what it feels like to be a father. The smile is from ear to ear and I'm walking on air. :D

DUBACC wrote: »
    OK - into the home straight over here. Just over 2 weeks to go and the brain is about to explode with a million worries and fears. If i had to use one word it would be Aaaaaarrrrgghhhh!!!! :D Funny thing is that the Mrs is so chilled about it but i am the one whose head seems to be rotating! To be honest im glad she is so relaxed but as i said above, Aaaaaarrrgh!!!

Any other lads feeling/felt like this?

Only advice i can give is just to relax and make sure the Mrs is as relaxed as possible,just make sure ye have the bags ready and after that its down to when the baby wants to come

• Advertisement

glic83 wrote: »
    Only advice i can give is just to relax and make sure the Mrs is as relaxed as possible,just make sure ye have the bags ready and after that its down to when the baby wants to come

Now's the time to chill out. Go to Penneys and buy 20 pairs of those pyjama pants that you can lob into the washing machine when you get puked on in a few weeks time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My wife is 5 weeks ish now and the morning sickness has just started. she wanted to have toast this morning but the toaster wouldn’t "Stay down" she called me crying about not been able to have toast. Told her to try the kettle in that socket and it too didnt work. told her to go to the fuse board and see if any of them are down. One was and she pushed it back up. She pushed down the toast and it stayed down. the change in her mood was unreal. Is this going to be the norm for the next 35 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

For the next 16 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My wife is 5 weeks ish now and the morning sickness has just started. she wanted to have toast this morning but the toaster wouldn’t "Stay down" she called me crying about not been able to have toast. Told her to try the kettle in that socket and it too didnt work. told her to go to the fuse board and see if any of them are down. One was and she pushed it back up. She pushed down the toast and it stayed down. the change in her mood was unreal. Is this going to be the norm for the next 35 weeks?
    We all have bad days. Not just pregnant women.

She may have been extremely sick this morning.

Its a small price us blokes make compared to what our ladies put themselves through.

If its morning sickness it doesn't usually last after 12 weeks if remember right.

glic83 wrote: »

Cheers glic, all calm again now - just had a moment yesterday!! Yeah we have everything packed. Went shopping last night and got everything, including the 'to-be-puked-on' stuff!!
    Really looking forward to it now i have to say.

DUBACC wrote: »
    Cheers glic, all calm again now - just had a moment yesterday!! Yeah we have everything packed. Went shopping last night and got everything, including the 'to-be-puked-on' stuff!!
    Really looking forward to it now i have to say.

Ryan was born last friday night the 1st few days are non stop but they do calm down,your wife/parter is going to be sore,tired and emotional just be there for here as much as you can and make sure she relaxes as much as possible after the birth as it will take time for her to get her strenght back up,still you will love every minute of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

:D yes. . . although it might get a little more obscure and you may not even get a reason for the tears or hysteria :pac:
    i reckon it prepares you for not being able to communicate with a baby and having to do a load of guesswork. . . ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Myself & my wife were away in france for a short break with her family & its has turned out to be a bit of a disaster. She is 9 weeks gone now.

Firstly I came down with pneumonia. No Idea how or where I got it but its not pleasant & I havent slept in 5 days & just spend the whole time sweating & feeling as ill as I have ever done. My wifes sickness hasnt been so good recently either but Im unable to really do anything for her.

Secondly my wifes nephew who was away with us caught chicken pox & we would have been in contact with him all the time in the pool etc. I have had chicken pox before but my wife hasnt so that caused an awful panic. She went into the Rotunda yesterday & had the antibody added via a drip so she shouldnt get it now. Begs the question though should all women who havent had chicken pox get this done.

Anyway lets hope things get better from here. We arent letting ourselves get down about it all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭paper cut

k4899g wrote: »
    18 weeks so still early. I am just hoping that things will change once he sees the baby. I'm too embarrassed to talk to friends and family about it.

I hoped that my baby would have two loving parents but now I don't know what's ahead.

Sounds very selfish to me. Its both your future now whether or not he likes it. His no.1 responsibility now is his family.
    My wife has just gone thru' our third miscarriage with triplets.
    I would give up everything to be in his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

so after posting a 2 years ago in the relationship section and listening to some amazing people and numeous helpful messages. i took the bull by the horns and shook off my now ex who was driving me to clinical depression.

I since met the love of my life and things have never ever been better.

neways enough of me yammering on... it was my birthday the other day and i got the best present anyone could ever want.

Im going to be a daddy :):):)

Advertisement