Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

k4899g wrote: »
    18 weeks so still early. I am just hoping that things will change once he sees the baby. I'm too embarrassed to talk to friends and family about it.

I hoped that my baby would have two loving parents but now I don't know what's ahead.

Think I was interested in my wife's pregancny (she may say different) but in the early stages when the main signs and symptoms could be ultra tiredness and morning sickness, I think it can sometimes be difficult for a man to relate to. Don't worry it will definitely change with the birth if not before

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

DUBACC wrote: »
    metzengerstein, i know how that felt - i nearly fell off the chair when we went for our 20 week scan - could see so much detail! Could have sworn we got a wave! :D

totaly amazing ,im sure we got two fingers ha ha ha .
    i really cant wait to meet him .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/columns/4845264/No-licence-required

My mate who is a new father & journalist - some interesting articles on being a new daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Our Baby girl was born on the 1st of april at 12.08 PM.
    Her name is Aísling, she 8lbs 6. Very healthy!

Thanks to everyone here for their advice. Ive learned a lot from ya. Off to the newborn section now!;)

Best of luck to all those expecting. Its a great experience, hope your missus' are ok and your baby's are fit and healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hi folks,
    Can anyone recommend a good book for fathers to be especially during the pregnancy phase?

Cianos wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Can anyone recommend a good book for fathers to be especially during the pregnancy phase?

Any chance you have an iphone?

I downloaded an app called "Baby pregnancy tracker" Its a week by week update on whats going on with your baby and your missus. It put a lot of worries out of our head from reading it, many questions we had like "is it normal to...." was in the app.

Gives pretty cool pics too. I recommend it.

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/baby-pregnancy-tracker-lite/id336472652?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Any chance you have an iphone?

I downloaded an app called "Baby pregnancy tracker" Its a week by week update on whats going on with your baby and your missus. It put a lot of worries out of our head from reading it, many questions we had like "is it normal to...." was in the app.

Gives pretty cool pics too. I recommend it.

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/baby-pregnancy-tracker-lite/id336472652?mt=8

I don't have an iphone no, I have an android. I'll check though for similar apps for Android, thanks.

I'd still like a good book to read through though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 daryl89

hi all,

I am new to this blogging scene so bear with me. Me and my girlfriend last week found out that we are going to have a baby she is around 6 weeks gone.I am 22 and she is 21 and we have been together 3 1/2 years now. it was an unplanned pregnancy but we are happy and excited now although nervous about supporting a life. We plan to move in together probably before the arrival of our baby and do things right. I hope you can part some wisdom as I an bricking my load and would like to know what I am in for e.g hormones, sickness, what to be worried about and what not to be worried about etc. Any advice appreciated as I know nothing apart from weeks 1-6 in the pregnancy book lol..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Every pregnancy is different with regards to sickness and hormonal outbursts Daryl. I was 20 when I was pregnant with my first child. I was so sick throughout the pregnancy. The morning sickness just did not let up. I was on bedrest pretty much from the 5th month until she was born. I wasn't overly hormonal during the first pregnancy, but this one .. oh man. I cry over everything. At the most inappropriate moments, when Im not sad, when I wake up. Tears at the drop of a hat.

Im not sure if its because I'm pregnant, or because I'm stressed out about so much different things. Its probably a combination of both.

So - I guess try support your girlfriend. If you can, ease the stress for her. It really does seem to make awful situations even worse. Apart from that, my boyfriend is pretty much just useful for cuddles these days. No matter what, they make me feel better.

Don't be worried if shes feeling nausoues all the time, do be worried if theres spotting.

The simplest things will make her feel better. Foot massage, a cuddle, a kiss on the forehead. And any outbursts, try not take it personally. ;)

I'm sure theres times my boyfriend thinks im clearly possessed but we both know it will be worth it, when we have our hopefully healthy little baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Hey Cianos,

Pregnancy For Men by Mark Woods is a hoot! I bought what to expect for myself and the above for himself....very rarely go to What To Expect - only as a reference, but read the Mens book in a couple of days while in the very early stages and thoroughly enjoyed it. Its very practical, but can be laugh out loud at times too!!!

I got it in Waterstones, but I'm sure you can get it online too!

I have the Pregly and WTE apps for android too....they're great!

Congrats to all the Dads to be!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Cianos wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I wudnt be one for reading books but ive been makin the effort lately since i dont know what im facing.

Read this tho...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lad-Dad-Survive-Pregnant-Father/dp/0954391470

Thought it was a good read.

I am not into reading to be honest but want to find out what I am in for any books for 1st time fathers to be with good illustrations(pictures, images) anybody knows of?? :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Yep - mrs is at 35 weeks now - clock seems to have stopped! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

DUBACC wrote: »
    Yep - mrs is at 35 weeks now - clock seems to have stopped! :P

i know the feeling the wife is due in 3 weeks and it feels like time is going backwards instead of forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

glic83 wrote: »
    i know the feeling the wife is due in 3 weeks and it feels like time is going backwards instead of forwards

Lads.. Its like a big hump on a roller coaster.. Slowing down Slowing down Slowing down.. and it seems like your stopped.. until you reach the top and then its 1000mph! :D

The advice given to me was:

"Relax and enjoy this time - When it happens.. It will happen fast!"

Was good advice I thought - Tough to do but worth it!

would like some opinions.

have had a trip to Amsterdam planned for over a year now going in Nov 2011 for a friend getting out of prison(not as shady as it sounds). my G/F is due in Dec 2011 and is trying to convince me I should not go. Do you think I should sacrifice my trip in the off chance she may go 1 month early? Or am I being a D##K HEAD for not cancelling. this could be my last blow out before baby comes(god willing) and also some catch up time with a friend who has been locked up nearly 2 year in Nov. all opinions welcome.:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

delighted to say I got the good news today that im going to be a daddy. early days yet & I exepct to be spending a lot of time on this thread over the next 7/8 months. A lot of learning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

We've got 10 weeks to go, all being well :)

It's been a roller coaster ride. Apart from a few stressful and worrying moments at the start (that makes ye realise how tenuous and precious the entire process is) it's been a wonderful experience.

Now comes the hard part... :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

just back from the 20 week scan. healthy boy doing a dance for us.

we have only 2 weeks left till they due date but id say the wife would have the baby 2moro if she could shes very uncomfortable at the min,hasnt slept through the nite in about 6 weeks shes gotton to the stage where she has to get up most nights for an hour or 2 because of the pain in her back at the min and we have tried everything to help the pain doctor said delivery will be ablout the only think that will get rid of it,just feel terrible that there isnt more i can do other than back rubs,running her a bath etc,hopefully the baby will be on time and she wont go over

we have only 2 weeks left till they due date but id say the wife would have the baby 2moro if she could shes very uncomfortable at the min,hasnt slept through the nite in about 6 weeks shes gotton to the stage where she has to get up most nights for an hour or 2 because of the pain in her back at the min and we have tried everything to help the pain doctor said delivery will be ablout the only think that will get rid of it,just feel terrible that there isnt more i can do other than back rubs,running her a bath etc,hopefully the baby will be on time and she wont go over

Know how you feel. My gf was in bits the last month. She had a kidney infection at week 38 and couldn't walk.

Have a look at those exercise balls, they worked wonders, they take the strain off her back and she can still sit and chat. It might also help baby move around for a bit of relief.

Know how you feel. My gf was in bits the last month. She had a kidney infection at week 38 and couldn't walk.

Have a look at those exercise balls, they worked wonders, they take the strain off her back and she can still sit and chat. It might also help baby move around for a bit of relief.

we have one m8 and she does get some relief but not much at this stage but
    thanks for the advice,just waiting on the baby now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

glic83, unfortunately yes giving birth is the only thing that will get rid of the back ache. I was pestered with it all throughout my pregnancy and it got progressively worse to the point that I couldn't do anything except lie on the sofa by wk 37.

On the day my waters broke I was in a terrible state with back pain. My waters broke at home and the pain disappeared almost immediately as my bump almost halved in size.

Fingers crossed that she won't be waiting too much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Don't laugh when your other half has the epidural and starts talkin shoyte through sheer relief.. The midwife gives out to you.

Tip.

cheers for that 1 ...lol

cheers for that 1 ...lol

Hehe.. I ate the tea and toast the midwife brought in afterwards too.. How was I to know it wasnt for me?

Trotter wrote: »
    Hehe.. I ate the tea and toast the midwife brought in afterwards too.. How was I to know it wasnt for me?

I was asked if i wanted tea or coffe! :pac:

Pro tip - Dont mess on your iphone. Especially facebook. ;)

• Advertisement

I was asked if i wanted tea or coffe! :pac:

Pro tip - Dont mess on your iphone. Especially facebook. ;)

We "the survivors" who have got through our other half's labour with our liathroidí still attached, should have the guts to put real tips up here!! Real ones!

My real tip would be to spend as much time as possible away from the business end. Keep talking to your other half, and if she doesn't want to talk, stay where you are.

Advertisement