Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

liliq wrote: »
    what's briked? :o

Panic! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

First post here. We are at week 23. Expecting our first. Really looking forward to it. Picking out a pram these days (looks like a bugaboo with maxi-cosi). The wife is in good form. No aliments to speak of except a sore back every now and then.
    Time is not going fast enough. I think its 143 days to go. I'm feeling slight kicks every now and then which is great. I don't think I could be happier. I'm obviously hoping all will go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    week 37 today.
    Pants = briked.
    You'll be fine mate. Don't worry:)

the_monkey wrote: »
    Hi everybody, new here 1st post in this thread, my gf found out today she's pregnant.

We have been trying for the past 2 months or so , so pretty quick.

I have gone through a rollercoaster of emotions today, joy when I am with her, but alone I get scared and really sad !! - I have this fear of not being a good father, or that I wont bond with the baby, my brother has 2 kids - 3 and 6 months, we looked after them over the christmas for one afternoon and I love the 3 year old he's got a great little personality of his own - but the 6 mth old I just found it hard to "get on" with ?
    I just didn't know how to handle him ?? - will this be different with my own ??

Do i just need to make an effort ??

I should be more positive, I tend to worry and be pessimistic ....
    I can guarantee you will bond with your baby no problem at all.
    It will all come naturally. Don't worry about it at all.:)

Sniipe wrote: »
    First post here. We are at week 23. Expecting our first. Really looking forward to it. Picking out a pram these days (looks like a bugaboo with maxi-cosi). The wife is in good form. No aliments to speak of except a sore back every now and then.
    Time is not going fast enough. I think its 143 days to go. I'm feeling slight kicks every now and then which is great. I don't think I could be happier. I'm obviously hoping all will go well.
    All natural mate.
    Just go with your instincts and you'll be fine:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

smccarrick wrote: »
    Certainly not......

My wife is newly pregnant and is really stressing out about all sorts of things pregnancy related, but also finances etc.
    I hope to find out how other people address all aspects of pregnancy and bringing up a child, its going to be a steep learning curve for both of us!

Shane

hiya doing

expecting father here at 20 weeks now ,my girlfriend has been stressing about alot and i have a bit to but we have taken away the stress by taking one thing at a time dont think about the aftermath or the actual birth just yet .focus on the changes that are happening now.like your wife is going through changes and probably worried about things that are happening inside becuse its all new and she doesnt know what it is ,same for my girlfriend. then next will be the birth and then focus on afterwards.if you stress about everything futher down the line you will run yourself down.and you will both row alot probably
    which is making more stress for the baby and both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napapa

Great to hear all the support on this forum. I was in the exact same position as a lot of the fellas here at 20 weeks....worrying about all the responsibility coming my way, finance, etc.
    The girlfriend is at 34 weeks now and all those initial worries have subsided. First Patrick's day on the dry yesterday as the missus wasn't up to hustle and bustle of pubs but I wasn't that bothered myself as I'm so bloody excited about meeting this little person. Ante Natal classes starting next week so looking forward to meeting a few expecting Daddys.

The only advice I can give is stock up on Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream!!!!

Ante Natal classes starting next week so looking forward to meeting a few expecting Daddys.

The only advice I can give is stock up on Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream!!!![/QUOTE]

hi napapa ,where are you doing your classes ?

best advice i can give for anyone is try to to advise your partner not too do too much research or take peoples storys too much to heart,because every pregnancy is diffrent everyones bodys are diffrent and handle things diffrent .so things you read and hear may not happen to you.

and for anyone worrying about cost of buying things ,we started to do this but when you actually think of what you essentially need ,it really doesnt work out that bad.i mean mother care and the likes are crazy expensive 550 for a pram extra 150 for the car seat and extra accessories .

we got the same pram ,which is a mosses basket /stroller/pram comes with car seat and others things .180 on adverts in mint condition
    so thats just an example

and we got a good deal on rocker chair and changing table from these guys .
    http://www.lovencare.ie/

The Coombe

should be staritng ours soon id say ,we goin to holles st, handy for us
    especially if red alert happens when shes in work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Due date Thursday.

Must have eaten too much clay for dinner yesterday, cos now I am starting to slightly brick it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

married 2 months ago, found out today wife is pregnant. very happy, just no one to tell yet!

i think im still young, 29 in April,shes 34.
    im a big kid at heart, i just hope i can support her the right way through this. just not sure where to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i think im still young, 29 in April,shes 34.
    im a big kid at heart, i just hope i can support her the right way through this. just not sure where to start

Pretty much the same as me and my wife, although we were married 3 months! crazy! Our daughter is 9 weeks now, and wow what a fantastic rollercoaster. Old normal is replaced with new normal and it is hard work but it's so rewarding. I do worry about supporting my family now, but you get on with it and do the best you can!

just back from check up, missus is 34 weeks and everything looking good. Don't have another hospital appointment for 4 weeks :eek:!!!! Yeah, we go and see GP in between but 38 weeks til we have another hospital visit. Scary how casual it all is, 'ah sure if it comes in between now and 38 just drop into us' :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yes napapa it seems very easy going alright. I think I went to the hospital every wk from 36 weeks and stopped seeing my gp for alternate visits. However if you've any concerns at all then go to the hospital. That's what they're there for!

we had our 20 week scan yesterday ,im was so amazed at the scan nearly brought a tear to my eye ,we saw the whole of our baby ,and we know were having a boy now .it all just became more real were so excited .

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

metzengerstein, i know how that felt - i nearly fell off the chair when we went for our 20 week scan - could see so much detail! Could have sworn we got a wave! :D

Up to 31 weeks now and people are starting to tell us to get a bag organised for the hospital over the next week or two. That noise you all heard was the penny dropping in my head about the whole thing :eek:.

Actually, i can't wait! We went and picked out all the nursery stuff and prams, etc over the past week so all set to go - i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

DUBACC wrote: »
    Up to 31 weeks now and people are starting to tell us to get a bag organised for the hospital over the next week or two.

Put a few small things in that bag for yourself to eat! Little things that are pre-wrapped and take 2 minutes to eat. You might get 20 five minute breaks but you might not get anything longer.

I know its all about everyone else but the Daddy during labour, but regardless.. I got very hungry and was personally responsible for the smell of Rancheros in the labour suite for which I doubt I've been forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Thanks for that Trotter - wonder if i'd get away with Mighty Munch!!! Love them but they stink!

Good tip though - ill add that to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

While we're at it.. For Junior's first night, you'll be heading home and you'll have the place to yourself. For me there was something a bit magical about that night, knowing that all around me was soon to be reposessed by a little 9lb bailiff. Have your favourite takeaway and a bottle of whatever you're into.

Some say to go to the pub and go mental.. but for me, just a last night of it being 'my house' did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Hello all, allow me to introduce myself .... our first daughter turned 2 a few weeks ago and we're off to the Coombe this Friday for a 12 week scan, which is exciting news. My wife is convinced its twins which would be interesting! If it's twin girls they'll be called 'Xena Princess Warrior' and 'She-ra Princess of Power'. Still working on possible boys names

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Hello all, allow me to introduce myself .... our first daughter turned 2 a few weeks ago and we're off to the Coombe this Friday for a 12 week scan, which is exciting news. My wife is convinced its twins which would be interesting! If it's twin girls they'll be called 'Xena Princess Warrior' and 'She-ra Princess of Power'. Still working on possible boys names

Congrats! :)
    If it was one of each you could have She- Ra and He- Man! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 k4899g

Just wondering if there are any guys out there who weren't so keen on having kids but came around when he/she was born?
    My husband hasn't been that interested in my pregnancy yet.
    Will it change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

k4899g wrote: »
    My husband hasn't been that interested in my pregnancy yet.

What have you said to him about his lack of interest?

Asked for more support but he's going with kids are what you wanted more than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I was never that man, so I don't know what to say, but I feel sorry for any man who remains unchanged by the birth of his children. That's a terrible indictment.

How far along are you?

18 weeks so still early. I am just hoping that things will change once he sees the baby. I'm too embarrassed to talk to friends and family about it.

I hoped that my baby would have two loving parents but now I don't know what's ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

GF was in the Doctors today for the usuall check up.

Due date is friday and the baby hasnt dropped yet!
    Um... Is that a bad thing?

• Advertisement

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    GF was in the Doctors today for the usuall check up.

Due date is friday and the baby hasnt dropped yet!
    Um... Is that a bad thing?
    Not at all. Don't worry. The baby will get in position when he/she is ready.:)

Advertisement