Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Piste wrote: »
    I really hope not :(

who has gotten in through HEAR :pac:
    What's HEAR?

What's HEAR?

Higher Education Access Route. It's a programme that allows those who come from difficult or disadvantaged backgounds to have a route into college. It lowers the points that that particular student needs for their course, and it allows for extra grants and funding.

Seems like a good idea.I wouldn't imagine that uni's would be too keen on doing it for expensive courses like med though especially if they had to pay for it themselves.

Seems like a good idea.I wouldn't imagine that uni's would be too keen on doing it for expensive courses like med though especially if they had to pay for it themselves.

As far as I know, it doesn't affect the college itself. The extra funding comes from the government, so the college isn't doing itself out of any money by allowing a HEAR student entry into one of its courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

So guys, have any of you eligible and apply for the HEAR programme?
    I really want to know how many places are saved up for HEAR applicants for the medicine.
    And if a person is eligible are they given places in order of:
    1. The more eligible they are, the more chances of getting a place.
    OR
    2. The better they do regarding to HPAT and Leaving Cert. they are given a place once they are eligible.

Hope you can answer this. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

shamoono wrote: »
    So guys, have any of you eligible and apply for the HEAR programme?
    I really want to know how many places are saved up for HEAR applicants for the medicine.
    And if a person is eligible are they given places in order of:
    1. The more eligible they are, the more chances of getting a place.
    OR
    2. The better they do regarding to HPAT and Leaving Cert. they are given a place once they are eligible.

Hope you can answer this. :D:D

I think that 10% or so of the places are put aside for HEAR students. So if you qualify for the reduced points thing you have to compete against other students, go to interviews etc. In the handbook it has under trinity that if you obtain 80-90% of the points you will qualify for a place; can't see that happening for medicine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

my dad is a dr. and he said he was looking over the papers and couldn't do a vast amount of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I really hope not :(

That,s to say, I hope no-one gets it if I don't, If I do get in I don't care who has gotten in through HEAR :pac:

None of the HEAR students will be taking your place. Something like 10-15% of the places are kept for people who go to college through non-traditional routes, ie HEAR students, foundation year students and mature students.

So you will be competing againist traditional students, not non-traditionals. :D

(Sorry, I didn't realise there was more posts... ignore what I've said, it's been said already.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I wish those places weren't kept for them then :(

I wish those places weren't kept for them then :(

:( Despite being in a HEAR school, I'm sort of with you! I know how much some people deserve those places, and without the system they'll never get in, but at the same time, I'm not eligible so it's sort of like, hey, that's my place, I don't care where you come from! :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah, maybe I'd be more sympathetic if I were in a HEAR school, or even in a fee-paying school where I'd realise not everyone's as well off as me, but I'm not, I'm in a public school, I don't take grinds so I'd feel very unhappy about someone with fewer points than me getting into college ahead of me because their school is public and they can't afford grinds :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I feel so guilty for getting grinds. It's true - the Leaving Cert is practically purchasable at this stage.

I disagree, just look at Purplefistmixer, she went to a public school where some girls were happy just to have passed the leaving cert, she got no grinds and had a social life throughout 6th year and she managed to get 600 points! Now ok I'll admit she's incredibly clever, but that's what the leaving cert should be based on, intelligence, and giving a place to someone just because their school isn't all that great completely undermines that and takes away the incentive to work hard.

I didn't mean it had to be purchased, just that a lot of people I know who are of average intelligence are spending a lot of money on grinds, revision courses, seminars and revision books and it looks like they're going to be of serious benefit. Just my impression.

Yeah I guess that's pretty true, a lot of people spend a ton of money and it's really reflected in their results.

I definitely don't agree that the Leaving Cert. should be based on intelligence - that would be completely unfair. The way the system is now, anybody can get to where they want to be - it just requires work. If it was based on intelligence, many people would never be able to progress through education. Basing the Leaving Cert. on intelligence would be as unfair as basing it on the students wealth.

What about those of us (yes, us, I'm arrogant like that) of above average intelligence who would rather not really work all that much? We're getting a lousy deal here :pac:

cautioner wrote: »
    What about those of us (yes, us, I'm arrogant like that) of above average intelligence who would rather not really work all that much? We're getting a lousy deal here :pac:

Use whatever natural intelligence that you may possess to your advantage. After all, the Leaving Cert. is just a memory game - learn how to use your memory to it's full potential.

Yeah, my vastly superior intelligence (vastly so) has led to a decreased work ethic over the years... Ironic, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Heard that one a lot, alright. "I would have done so much better if I'd actually tried, I was just too lazy, but really I'm smart." ; p

• Advertisement

I'm determined not to be "that" person. I am actually making a bit of an effort, it just takes a bit of getting used to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

When I was a teacher, it seemed quite clear to me observing students over many years that grinds made little or no difference to how people got on in exams. It 's interesting now to read that recent research appears to support that view, as referred to in this article:

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/private-grinds-fail-to-boost-exam-results-says-research-1354787.html

What I found remarkable then, and continue to find remarkable, is how many people seem to think that forking out their hard-earned money in this way is of some benefit, in the face of all objective evidence to the contrary. To suggest that one's Leaving Cert can be "bought" in this way is simply nonsense.

Giving a place to someone just because their school isn't all that great completely undermines that and takes away the incentive to work hard.

Seriously, these people work hard. My friend is going through HEAR for Medicine (don't lynch me Piste - it's her. I don't want any form of Science degree ;)). She actually can't afford books - the school pays for them. These are the type of people that are eligible for the scheme, and believe me, she works harder than anyone else in my year. The scheme isn't taking her work ethic away, if anything she knows she'll have to work harder to keep up with people who can afford to purchase their LC. I know you're not one of them, but there are many, many people who do.

Anyway, I don't know how any of you are going to do that HPAT. I was looking at said friend's sample paper yoke, and I answered about 5 questions and got every single one of them wrong! Clearly the lawyer path is the way to go for me - evidently I'm a heartless bitch :P . Also, the timing thing is a bit insane. I feel sorry for you all, you must be worn out after one of those samples, never mind the real thing :(

What I found remarkable then, and continue to find remarkable, is how many people seem to think that forking out their hard-earned money in this way is of some benefit, in the face of all objective evidence to the contrary. To suggest that one's Leaving Cert can be "bought" in this way is simply nonsense.
    I think this is probably true. I take french grinds and I don't find them hugely beneficial, however they do make me work more and I think that it is this not the extra tuition that helps me.Also they're only 15 euro an hour.If grinds for the leaving cert which has aset curriculum have been shown not to work then how are grinds for something that has absolutely no curriculum and run by people that have access to no more information about the HPAT than the public supposed to be effective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I think this is probably true. I take french grinds and I don't find them hugely beneficial, however they do make me work more and I think that it is this not the extra tuition that helps me.Also they're only 15 euro an hour.If grinds for the leaving cert which has aset curriculum have been shown not to work then how are grinds for something that has absolutely no curriculum and run by people that have access to no more information about the HPAT than the public supposed to be effective?

If the grind are making you work then they are beneficial 'cause basically what your saying is that if you didn't do the grind you wouldn't work but because your doing the grind you are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I just sat the HPAT Ulster yesterday. My brain was mush afterwards. I'm guessing the HPAT Ireland is similar. I was pushed for time so practice timing yourself on the sample questions! And make sure to keep track of time when in the test.

I'd say that's all the preparation courses do - show you how to answer the test to the best of your ability time wise. They can't do any more than that really.

I think the HPAT is a great idea. It's used by the University of Ulster for entry to all healthcare courses. Yes, you do need a certain amount of intelligence to work in the healthcare industry but you also need social skills and common sense. I know from working as a care assistant and my mother being a healthcare professional that there's many people working in hospitals that should really be off the wards as they just don't know how to deal with people!

And I think it's wrong to think that people on the HEAR programme shouldn't get the chance to pursue a career in medicine. These people come from low income families and where the thought of studying Medicine is unattainable to them. And where the families might not even support the son/daughter. These people work harder because they know there's less places for them. I think it's a great programme. (I might feel differently if it was me applying for Medicine though!)

I just had another look through the questions today, and especially in the first section I was so much slower, and questions I remembered answering really easily a few months ago I really struggled with...I really hope my brain is working properly on the morning of the exam :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Two weeks till HPAT..... Where are the admission tickets?:confused:

Oh and I think there is a mistake with one of the answers in the sample booklet. Q97, it can't be D, logically it has to be E.

I'd say the admission tickets will arrive sometime this week cos the closing date for medicine was today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Heard that one a lot, alright. "I would have done so much better if I'd actually tried, I was just too lazy, but really I'm smart." ; p

Oi, that's my excuse! ;)
    I just had another look through the questions today, and especially in the first section I was so much slower, and questions I remembered answering really easily a few months ago I really struggled with...I really hope my brain is working properly on the morning of the exam :(

Yeah, I was the same. Especially with bad oul' section 1. I've been staying up doing them late at night all week though dn I'm confident enough again.
    Berocca will save us all. I think I've become addicted to it. Actually, I think i just have a problem with buying into things too easily tbh. :P
    Nah, that can't be it. Beroccas and bananas the morning of the HPAT, we'll be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement