Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Basically someone who poses as a real poster but is actually advertising... you know, "Oh guys did you hear about this fantastic hair gel? LINK! It's so good I'm the most popular boy in my school now!"

Woah sorry only noticed that now...........

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

hpat's getting closer...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

have yous all registered for it already? :eek:

iv just gotten very worried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

shamoono wrote: »
    Anybody get their admission ticket yet?
    Damn only a month and a half to go.

Nope.
    Ah, there's plenty of time yet.
    Dubs wrote: »
    have yous all registered for it already? :eek:

iv just gotten very worried

See?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Where's the Dublin centre, does anyone know? I forget if it's been made known yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 koolciaran

will there be a points system for medicie still or are they completely wiping it out and using te hpat system!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

They use HPAT and Points. You'll need a minimum of 480 in your Leaving Cert to get into medicine, regardless of how high your HPAT score is. Your HPAT and LC scores are added together and the people with the top scores get into the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

Has anybody done any of those preparation courses, if you have are they worth doing?

davidj_PM wrote: »
    Has anybody done any of those preparation courses, if you have are they worth doing?

I know someone who did one in Cork, she said it was really worthwhile.
    However, I'm a bit skeptical/ cynical about it all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

just registered for it today but im not sure if i completed the whole registration thing :D

i got 2 emails with no pretty much no instructions or conformations in them so anyone who has registered already able to tell me if thats it once i get the emails or do i need to do more then?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Anyone have an idea of what the combined LC/HPAT score threshold will be?

Dubs wrote: »
    just registered for it today but im not sure if i completed the whole registration thing :D

i got 2 emails with no pretty much no instructions or conformations in them so anyone who has registered already able to tell me if thats it once i get the emails or do i need to do more then?

Yeah, mine just said like..
    "HPAT-Ireland Online Registration

Thank you for using the HPAT-Ireland online registration system. Please check the following details. " etc
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of what the combined LC/HPAT score threshold will be?

I THINK it's 860. 560 maximum in the LC (Which is equal to 600..) and 300 for the HPAT.
    Not 100% sure.

Yep that's right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 coolfire

I think pugzilla meant is does anybody have an idea of what the minimum combined score you will need out of 860 to get into medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

The hpat would have to be difficult enough so that scores near 300 are almost impossible, otherwise nobody on under 550 would stand a chance and so the whole thing would be piontless

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Weezybabee

hey how much study is everybdy puttin in for this hpat?? I only decided today that im doing it, and am a bit worried that I may be way behind the pack.....???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

What do you think a good HPAT score would be ? I just sat down to do the sample paper yesterday... lets just say it was far from encouraging, 72 %.

Section 1 seems to be the hardest in my opinion.
    Section 2 is a walk in the park.
    Section 3 is fine apart from the last bit.

Also does anyone know if there is another sample paper available ?

Its going to be very important to break into the 550-560 bracket I think, and from there the best HPATS will get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Just curious, guys, as I'm an old fogie who has no interest in doing anything medical, but does the booklet state how the scoring system for the hpat works?

It would be unusual for a test of this type to have a fixed score per question. They're normally processed instead using an "Item Response Theory" model, such as the "Rasch" model. That is, a computer programme spits out a score which is connected to your answers in a way that most mortals would find hard to fathom, and is scaled to give a prearranged mean and standard deviation when applied to the target population.

Is there info in the documentation about the scoring? i don't see any on the website.

I think a 'good' HPAT score would be something like this:

'Above average' scores in all three sections as opposed to, for example, average in the first two and excellent in the last section.

The first candidate has high percentile ranks(how they did compared to others) in all sections eg. 70%,75,76%,

while the second has an uneven distribution eg. 50%,45%,90%

first candidate's score = 221
    Seconds candidates's score = 185

so(i think) a reasonable ability in all three sections, as opposed to average in one or two and extraordinary in the others, will result in a 'good' score.

Weezybabee wrote: »
    hey how much study is everybdy puttin in for this hpat?? I only decided today that im doing it, and am a bit worried that I may be way behind the pack.....???

I only did the sample paper to see what kinda questions come up and how long you have to answer each one. It doesn't need much study other than that really, it's designed not to be something you can study for.
    Calum196 wrote: »
    What do you think a good HPAT score would be ? I just sat down to do the sample paper yesterday... lets just say it was far from encouraging, 72 %.

Section 1 seems to be the hardest in my opinion.
    Section 2 is a walk in the park.
    Section 3 is fine apart from the last bit.

Also does anyone know if there is another sample paper available ?

Its going to be very important to break into the 550-560 bracket I think, and from there the best HPATS will get in.

I was talking to a guy who did a HPAT preparation test and said the average of his class was about 56%.
    Just curious, guys, as I'm an old fogie who has no interest in doing anything medical, but does the booklet state how the scoring system for the hpat works?

It would be unusual for a test of this type to have a fixed score per question. They're normally processed instead using an "Item Response Theory" model, such as the "Rasch" model. That is, a computer programme spits out a score which is connected to your answers in a way that most mortals would find hard to fathom, and is scaled to give a prearranged mean and standard deviation when applied to the target population.

Is there info in the documentation about the scoring? i don't see any on the website.

There's nothing about how it's scored unfortunately, just that each section carries equal marks.

• Advertisement

Friend of mine did a HPAT prep course, nothing special she said,
    suggested buying a Wii instead.:pac: I guess it really is 'grind-proof'

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Weezybabee

Nice one Piste, i thought i was screwed fr a while there! What is the best website to go to for sample questions??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Weezybabee wrote: »
    Nice one Piste, i thought i was screwed fr a while there! What is the best website to go to for sample questions??

You have to buy the sample booklet from ACER, and that is the ONLY official thing of sample Q's other than the 9 on the website.

look here

Piste wrote: »
    I
    There's nothing about how it's scored unfortunately, just that each section carries equal marks.
    I did a bit of research into the umat(the test on which the HPAT is based )
    And apparantly the harder a question is the more marks its worth. Also an average score is between 170 and 180 while 0nly the top 1% of students get 210 or over.I'd say its like what mathsmaniac said, where the average and standard deviation are constant from year to year as this would be the only way to ensure that a score from one year is worth the same as a score from another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Could someone provide an insight into answering the very last part of section 3 (sequnces) ? I quite simply do not understand it! Amazinbg the way some people get things and others dont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Try looking at them individually and systematically. Ok, the first one has a circle in the top left corner and a triangle on the right, etc. Do this for all of them, one at a time. Hopefully some sort of pattern will emerge.

That said though, I think it's the kind of thing you either have or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I did a bit of research into the umat(the test on which the HPAT is based )
    And apparantly the harder a question is the more marks its worth. Also an average score is between 170 and 180 while 0nly the top 1% of students get 210 or over.I'd say its like what mathsmaniac said, where the average and standard deviation are constant from year to year as this would be the only way to ensure that a score from one year is worth the same as a score from another.

They seem remarkably secretive about the UMAT scoring system too, if web-searching is anything to go by! It seems likely that it is indeed scored on an IRT model. If a reliable source gave you: "And apparantly the harder a question is the more marks its worth," then I'd be pretty sure of it. This is the kind of thing you might say if you were trying to explain IRT to someone who didn't know how it worked.

(Keeping it secret maybe isn't a bad thing, if the alternative is to try to explain something that none of your customers will understand!)

I've heard as well that a lot of people are going sitting the hpat test in the north just to get some practice, I don,t know if its much like the one here though. Some people will do anything for an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How'd everyone get on with the Sample test? Myself and a mate both got 80/110.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement