Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

cautioner wrote: »
    What could have higher points than Medicine?

Nothing, but you never know this year, medicine miht go below law or veterinary. People have their CAOs down in order of preference too so medicine isn't necessarily the first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I suppose... Funny to think someone might not get their first choice and end up settling for Medicine!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Piste wrote: »
    I doubt they'd arrive before Saturday, quote]
    Don't worry, almost half of the questions in the UMAT papers are EXACTLY the same as those in the hpat paper. I mean word for word the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pureirishsugar

thank you whataboutshur, feeling at little less paniciky now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

^Ditto, was really kicking myself there...

• Advertisement

Yeah same, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Ya think many applying for medicine through HEAR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

shamoono wrote: »
    Ya think many applying for medicine through HEAR?

I know at least three who are, but they're all from different schools (not that that really makes a difference I suppose...). But you're not competing with them, places are kept for people competing on the HEAr programme.

I know at least three who are, but they're all from different schools (not that that really makes a difference I suppose...). But you're not competing with them, places are kept for people competing on the HEAr programme.

So your telling me if I'm elligible for the HEAR and get all of the requirements I have myself a place. OR that I will be competing against those who are eligible and applied for medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

shamoono wrote: »
    So your telling me if I'm elligible for the HEAR and get all of the requirements I have myself a place. OR that I will be competing against those who are eligible and applied for medicine.

Em, I'm not completely sure how it works, but like 10-15% of places are kept for non traditional students, like mature students and HEAR applicants. I'm pretty sure there must be some form of competition between the HEAR applicants, because otherwise they wouldn't require so much info and the personal statements (or is personal statements TAP?! I don't know). I doubt if you apply through HEAR and just get the requirements you are automatically eligible for a place, I assume there's some competition, although not necessarily based on the points you get.

Hmm, I assume they calculate how much of a point reduction you get based on your financial situation, and therefore the worse off you are, the more likely you are to get a place. I don't even know if that makes sense, I'm just speculating.

• Advertisement

Em, I'm not completely sure how it works, but like 10-15% of places are kept for non traditional students, like mature students and HEAR applicants. I'm pretty sure there must be some form of competition between the HEAR applicants, because otherwise they wouldn't require so much info and the personal statements (or is personal statements TAP?! I don't know). I doubt if you apply through HEAR and just get the requirements you are automatically eligible for a place, I assume there's some competition, although not necessarily based on the points you get.

Hmm, I assume they calculate how much of a point reduction you get based on your financial situation, and therefore the worse off you are, the more likely you are to get a place. I don't even know if that makes sense, I'm just speculating.

Oh, I see. Thanks for all of that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Anybody else get their HPAT reminder today, it gives directions to the test centre etc. But they screwed up the directions for Trinity anyway
    From the south (New Haven, New York, etc.): Take I-91 north to I-84 west, then follow the directions "From the east."
    From the north (Springfield, Bradley Airport, etc.): Take I-91 south to I-84 west, then follow the directions "From the east."
    From the west (NYC via I-84, Danbury, etc.):
    Take I-84 east to exit 48, Capitol Avenue. At the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp turn left. Go to the first traffic light (at Washington Street) and turn right (at statue of Lafayette on horse). Proceed straight ahead on Washington Street for 8 traffic lights (total of 1.1 miles), passing hospital complex on left. At 8th light, turn right onto New Britain Avenue. Go .3 miles to the next traffic light at Broad Street. If you want to reach buildings and parking areas in the southeastern part of the campus (e.g., Austin Arts Center, Ferris Athletic Center), turn right onto Broad Street, look for the Trinity College gate, and turn left into the driveway. If you want to reach the western and northern areas of campus (Admissions and other administrative offices), proceed on New Britain Avenue to traffic light at Summit Street. Turn right, between the brick gateposts, into campus.

From the east (Boston, etc.):
    Take I-84 west and keep to the right once you reach Hartford and travel through a short tunnel. After tunnel take exit 48, Asylum Avenue. At the end of the exit, turn left onto Asylum Street. Staying in the righthand lane, follow the roadway to the right, hugging Bushnell Park. Bear right through the brownstone arch onto Trinity Street. Staying in the left lane, go to the second stoplight. The Bushnell Memorial Hall will be on your left, the State Capitol on your right. Turn left past the statue of Lafayette on horseback onto Washington Street. Proceed straight ahead on Washington Street for 8 traffic lights (total of 1.1 miles), passing hospital complex on left. At 8th light, turn right onto New Britain Avenue. Go .3 miles to the next traffic light at Broad Street. If you want to reach buildings and parking areas in the southeastern part of campus (e.g., Austin Arts Center, Ferris Athletic Center), turn right onto Broad Street, look for the Trinity College gate, and turn left into the driveway. If you want to reach the western and northern areas of campus (Admissions and other administrative offices), proceed on New Britain Avenue to traffic light at Summit Street. Turn right, between the brick gateposts, into campus.

When leaving campus: To get back to both I-84 and I-91, take Broad or Summit Street to New Britain Avenue, turning left on New Britain Avenue and then left onto Washington Street. When you reach the intersection with Capitol Avenue (Lafayette's horse will be on your left, the Capitol will be straight ahead), turn left, following the signs for I-84. Staying in the right lane, follow Capitol Ave. The entrance ramp for I-84 west is on the right. Proceed a little further and turn right onto Broad Street to reach the entrance ramp for I-84 east, which leads to I-91 north and south.
    BY PLANE
    Bradley International Airport, serving Hartford, Connecticut, and Springfield, Massachusetts, is approximately 30 minutes from the College by car. Car rental agencies are available at the airport.
    BY BUS AND TRAIN
    Peter Pan Bus Lines and Amtrak Train stations are located at One Union Place in Hartford. For schedules and fares, please call Peter Pan Bus Lines at (800) 343-9999 or Amtrak at (800) 872-7245.
    As you see if I followed these directions Id end up on the east coast of the US, I know perfectly well how to get to Trinity but it seems bad form to make a mistake like this. Its like they googled how to get to Trinity and posted the first set of results they found.

Yeah the whole HPAT seems very badly organised to me. Forst of all they didn't include a space for you to put your CAO number on the original application form, then they sent people the wrong links for their admission tickets. Poor show ACER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ice-Dragon

Hey I know im rly cutting this short but does any1 know how to answer question 86 or 95 in sextion 3 from the Institute's 'practice test'.....the one they gave us after the first day??? PLZ HELP!! It's wreckin my head here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Yeah its quite badly organised... hopefully the don't mess up the transfer of HPAT scores to the CAO!

Also is everyone going to bring a bag with them to the test centre or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah the whole HPAT seems very badly organised to me. Forst of all they didn't include a space for you to put your CAO number on the original application form, then they sent people the wrong links for their admission tickets. Poor show ACER!

While they might have experience in the actual tests, getting an Australia based company may have been a bad idea.

Do they use the same in the UK?

In relation to the admission ticket, at the bottom it asks for the number on your ID, in the case of a driving licence is it refering to the 'driver number' or the 'stock number'?

Dunno, doubt they really care to be honest!

Does anyone know are we allowed to bring in calculators?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Dunno, doubt they really care to be honest!

Does anyone know are we allowed to bring in calculators?

No only 2B pencils....everything else is forbidden!:pac:

Im afraid not:
    All centres will begin the exam at 10.30 am, candidates will need to report to their designated centre by 9.30 am to complete pre-test procedures.
    If you report to the centre after all candidates have been admitted to the testing room you may not be admitted.No latecomers will be admitted once the test has started.
    When you report to the test centre, you must bring with you your:
    • HPAT-Ireland Admission Ticket (with required details completed on the back)
    • photo-bearing identity document (current passport or driver’s licence) or certified letter of Identification
    • pencils (medium soft 2B or HB, preferably 2B), and eraser.
    Note: Mobile phones, calculators, dictionaries, audio or recording devices of any kind, food (unless permission is granted by the HPAT-Ireland Office based on medical reasons) and bags will not be permitted in the test room. We will endeavour to provide storage facilities for candidate property during the testing at the test centres, but you are advised to bring only essential items to the test centre with you.
    Bottled water is permitted.
    You are advised to have a light meal before reporting to the test centre, as you will be occupied for a number of hours and no food is permitted without prior permission.
    From HPAT Ireland website

• Advertisement

Gah I hope nothing to do with numbers comes up :( I do mental arithmetic reeeeeeally slowly so that'll slow me down somewhat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

umm i read the email this morning but was in a rush, think i deleted it:o

any thing i should have absorded from it? (i'm in RDS)

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gotabi

Trust me, if you havn't been to a prep course you sooooo screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

gotabi wrote: »
    Trust me, if you havn't been to a prep course you sooooo screwed.

Heh, thanks for that. You'd make a good doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 coggser01

you dont need a course to be prepared for this. i did two practice ones laready and wit 40mins to spare on each on i scored higher than my mate who did the institute course and who i would consider smarter than me.

p.s. does anyone here us tw center? the layout is unbelievably simlar

Oh dear I always bring a bag of junk with me everywhere, how will I survive? :(

Hey, what are people doing for last day revision? I dont want to hurt my brain too much today by overtdoing it wiith the sample questions.

I'm getting an early night!

I can't believe I paid €1.45 for a 2B pencil today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 coggser01

erm do sample questions, sleep early, geta full breakfast in the mornin and take some omega 3 or something, maybe some valium to calm you (joking) and piste, have a cup of tea, have a cup of tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

future doctors eh?

/searches thread for husband...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement