Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The score is out of 300 though!

Has anyone got their admission ticket yet? I've heard nothing from them. I guess they'll probably sort stuff out after the 1st of February when the application date closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

thats kind of cutting it a bit late though isnt it?

3 weeks to go :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

what course allow yout to go into with Hpat< med only> or can it be for pharmacy dentistry ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Piste wrote: »
    The score is out of 300 though!

Has anyone got their admission ticket yet? I've heard nothing from them. I guess they'll probably sort stuff out after the 1st of February when the application date closes.

No ****. Since I don't have a marking scheme or way of working out how that will translate to the scoring scale they use it was the best i could do. I put it as a percentage either.

It's just medicine. For pharmacy and dentistry you use your LC results only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

thanks ^_^_^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

3 weeks, how did that happen? :eek:

cautioner wrote: »
    3 weeks, how did that happen? :eek:

Meh, be glad to get down and do it, pain in the arse gettin to Dublin in time for it tbh.

Hadn't considered that, what time does this hoedown kick off at? I needs be I can go up on Friday and crash with my brother but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

cautioner wrote: »
    Hadn't considered that, what time does this hoedown kick off at? I needs be I can go up on Friday and crash with my brother but meh.

Tipp? Why didn't you pick the South East centre? It's prob going to be in the WIT. That not closer?

I can't remember times. 9?

• Advertisement

I've never ever been in Waterford but I gather it takes a fair while to get there from here. Dublin is easy enough transport wise, two and a half hours on a bus or two on a train; both of which are more convenient than the bus to Galway.
    Cork, meh, it's probably about the same length of time away but I'm quite familiar with Dublin so it seemed like the natural choice.
    A Limerick centre would have been so much easier, 45 measly minutes and I could've driven myself, oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JakeZ

HEY EVERYONE,

I think the acceptance will be very tight this year. I did two revision courses in Cork and Dublin.LOT OF TRAVELING BUT WORTH IT! I did a sample exam made by the same people (from the internet) that make the HPAT and only got 50% but after doing the two revision courses I got 83% in the sample exam afterwards.

I thought it was an easier exam but then I asked two of my classmates to do it (who are also going for medicine and who did not do any preparation courses) and they only got 54% and 60%.

I think this new entry so thus kinda unfair to the people who are only deciding to do the exam now and have missed the preparation course. My cousin also did one in Limerick and the woman discovered 12 diff types of questions in part one and how to answer them differnetly. really helpful to break it down and save time!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

... You're working for them, aren't you!?
    Everyone knows revision courses are stupid. Aptitude is God-given, not bought.

JakeZ wrote: »
    HEY EVERYONE,

I think the acceptance will be very tight this year. I did two revision courses in Cork and Dublin.LOT OF TRAVELING BUT WORTH IT! I did a sample exam made by the same people (from the internet) that make the HPAT and only got 50% but after doing the two revision courses I got 83% in the sample exam afterwards.

I thought it was an easier exam but then I asked two of my classmates to do it (who are also going for medicine and who did not do any preparation courses) and they only got 54% and 60%.

I think this new entry so thus kinda unfair to the people who are only deciding to do the exam now and have missed the preparation course. My cousin also did one in Limerick and the woman discovered 12 diff types of questions in part one and how to answer them differnetly. really helpful to break it down and save time!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

So you did a test and got 50%, then did the same test (after some "preparation") and got 80%? Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

How many people are going to be doing the HPAT exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

dunno, 5,000 perhaps?

amacachi wrote: »
    So you did a test and got 50%, then did the same test (after some "preparation") and got 80%? Wow!

No it wasnt the same test. ie why i said i thought it was easier...

And I am not working for them. Why would I:

a) promote ALL three of them

b)promote them AFTER they are finished

and btw they were fully booked and people were refused..

ITS DEF NOT NATURAL INTELLIGENCE. ITS LIKE THE LEAVING CERT- CAN LEARN HOW TO GET THE A1 BY THE METHODS AND STUFF...

and to answer someone's question about competition question id say this year will be the biggest competition bcause it is the first.

ALL the repeats, all the present leaving certs and all the people in college that were just like 5 or so points short in the past 3 years...kinda hard on us tho cz we have to maximise our lc points AND study like hell for the HPAT whereas the others epec pple in college can just focus all their time on HPAT preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

HEY EVERYONE,

differnetly.
    83% and you can't spell?
    If you really could study for them then why was this aptitude test chosen?Also you can't really expect people to believe that you don't work for a company offering preparation when on your first two posts you clearly advertise preparation courses.

On studies done with the HPAT it was shown that there was very little different in people who sat the test for the first time, sat it for a subsequent time, or had taken grinds. That is why it was chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

I don't know if prep courses would help but if I truly wanted to do med I wouldn't take the risk of not availing of them and letting people have a <possible> massive advantage of me going into the exam. Risky business indeed no matter what the people setting the exam say.

• Advertisement

83% and you can't spell?
    If you really could study for them then why was this aptitude test chosen?Also you can't really expect people to believe that you don't work for a company offering preparation when on your first two posts you clearly advertise preparation courses.

BIG DEAL i made a typing error and if you examined the hpat closely they dont examine ''school material'' like spellings and maths and stuff so therefore it would have no effect on my overall result...

I am actually NOT lying like.I repeat they were all booked out (well the two I went to out of about 5 or so ) and WHY WOULD I ADVERTISE THEM NOW.

has anyone done the RCSI revision course?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah... and I heard that chewing dandelion leaves every day for 2 weeks also might help... of course it hasn't been shown to help at all, but you couldn't possibly NOT take the chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

Yeah... and I heard that chewing dandelion leaves every day for 2 weeks also might help... of course it hasn't been shown to help at all, but you couldn't possibly NOT take the chance!

who says they don't help, the people setting the exam?

i'd imagine they would help to a certain extent, to familiarize yourself with the hpat better if nothing else..

it's lilke the game, brain training for ds. it's like an aptitude test; you shouldn't be able to improve your score on paper- but you can, by training...

just an analogy peepz.

anyway i'm considering doing medicine next year and if i decide to pursue it ultimately i probably will go to one of the prep courses .. just in the chance they might help in some way or form..

but it's only your future career in the balance anyway, so why take the risk.

I've taken a look at the sample papers, and they're pretty similar to IQ tests. While you can never increase your intelligence, you can get good at taking IQ tests; thus, increasing your IQ. My guess is that the same applies to the HPAT: doing plenty of sample papers and, probably, going to revision courses will definitely make you better at taking the actual exam; which will, more than likely, increase your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

They should keep the entire exam a mystery. They simply tell you to arrive in old clothes, and bring a biro. You emerge from the exam centre 2 hours later, a different individual.

I am actually NOT lying like.I repeat they were all booked out (well the two I went to out of about 5 or so ) and WHY WOULD I ADVERTISE THEM NOW.
    If you go on to the websites of the people offering these courses then you will see that they are not all booked up and still have some places left. also I don't beliveve that you got 50% in the acer sample test as i'm sure anyone who did the paper doesn't,it was just too easy for anyone with even half a brain to get over 50%. If I were to choose whether or not to go to a prep course I would base my decision on actual evidence like Acer who say that "intensive preparation is not advisable or necessary" the institute of guidance counsellors also agree with them as do the British psychological society. the only people who claim that preparation works are tha companies that run the courses. You said that the "methods and stuff" that you learned were very helpful, however these methods will be useless if they decide to change the types of questions even slightly.if this does happen then your methods will be worse than useless. i personally would seriously scrutinise anything before I decided to pay a couple of hundred euro for it.

has anyone done the RCSI revision course?
    "RCSI would like to clarify that no preparation course for the HPAT examination will be delivered at the college.An external provider of such courses advertised on their website a series of HPAT preparation courses with RCSI as a venue. RCSI wish to confirm that NO such course will be delivered at the college".www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&pID=99&nID=1413
    So it seems as if **** have been lying about their courses in order to give them more credability. Really speaks volumes for those companies who deliver such courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Is anyone goning to try use the HEAR programme reduced points business for med? Last year a friend got in with 450 points so not sure what it'll be like this year with the hpat

I really hope not :(

That,s to say, I hope no-one gets it if I don't, If I do get in I don't care who has gotten in through HEAR :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Just picked up on this lively debate! i'm a repeating,wannabe med student, just finished a prep HPAT course last weekend and while i didn't pay the full whack for it (don't think i would either) i would consider it a huge benefit.

You do learn alot from them. the HPAT is designed so the majority of the population can't physically answer the questions, the trick like any other exam is timing, u gotta know what questions suck up your time and what the tricks are.

After that, its all in your head, the prep course really just teachs you how to tackle the questions and focus on answering them.

Any student prepcourse or not can fair just as well providing they've done the back work:familirising yourself with all types of questions and getting used to focusing your mind for 150 mintues, no breaks not even toilet usage!:eek:

after a full sample test, i gotta have a dinner and a nap before i can string a sentence together:o........i can only imagine whati'm gonna be like after the real thing:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement