Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

when you are saying that "that the matriculation must be all sat in the same sitting" do you mean that all of the subjects needed must be sat in the Leaving Cert. that same year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yup. You can't, for example, pass English Irish and Maths one year, then repeat with 6 other subjects and get 600. You have to do English etc. in the same year you're counting your points from.

Is this a trusted site? Is there a preparation course actually going to happen in RCSI?

http://www.****.edu.au/hpat-packages.asp

And is anybody gonna go to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

shamoono wrote: »
    Is this a trusted site? Is there a preparation course actually going to happen in RCSI?

http://www.****.edu.au/hpat-packages.asp

And is anybody gonna go to it?

I read somewhere that **** generally plagerises from American SAT exams.

Try E-mailing RCSI?

I tried contacting RCSI but they haven't got back to me and the places are probably running out!!!
    Did all of you only get one practice paper when you ordered the booklet from HPAT Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah the booklet is just one sample test.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Bruce college in Cork are also offering a HPAT preparation course!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

So what college is everyone's first preference??

Mine's UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Mine's Trinity.

I don't really want to go to RCSI or UCD really. I wouldn't mind UCD too much, but the traffic getting there in the morning can be really awful, but that's not too bad really. I wouldn't like to go to RCSI cos it doesn't really feel like a proper college, it only does medical subjects and I'd like to meet people from a range of courses in a bigger college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I've got Trinity first, although I'm a bit caught beween that and UCD....
    Galway's third followed by RCSI in fourth and UCC's fifth.

It's a lovely city and all, but I'd absolutely HATE to go to Cork. Passionately. The only reason I have it down is because well...
    medicine> petty hatred for a place. I'll go there if i have to I just REALLY don't want to.

Also, Piste, what you're saying about RCSI is completely true and that's the reason I have it in 4th tbh. Go to the Open Day though, it might change your mind. It's a really nice college, in an excellent location and all the rest. Before I had a look around it I refused to even put it on my CAO. That was early last year. Now I'm thinking I might switch it to third place.
    Damn decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

UCD
    TCD
    RCSI
    Galway
    Cork

my sister is in RCSI and the teaching is meant to be excellent!
    not really a proper college experience though.......

UCD
    TCD
    RCSI
    NUI Galway
    UCC

I have heard some bad things about med-school in TCD.(I heard that the teaching there is bad)
    RCSI...Doesn't really give that whole college experience and it has like only 350 students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ventura

Partially correct. Im in 1st med at rcsi and can vouch that the teaching is of a high standard. As regards to the whole 'college experience' I can understand where yer all coming from but at the same time iv met some brilliant people here so far and really don't feel like i'm 'missing out' on too much.
    Where did you pull that 350 figure from? There's plenty hanging round here between all the med,pharm,physio and gep classes.

Sorry about the 350 digit, it was meant to be 750 and I think I saw it in a prospectus for RCSI.

Ah thats cool was just wondering. Best of luck to everyone with HPAT by-the-by. Kind of annoying if you've got your pre's around the same time.
    I was talking to some people in the other courses here and theres a few taking the test in febuary. Is there preference given to leaving cert students or is it a first come first serve system with regards to how many can register? As id imagine theres a limit :confused:

There isn't a limit to the amount of people who may sit the HPAT exam. But if people register late they may have to sit the exam some place other than their prefered exam centre.

So tell me, what's med school like in RCSI? Would it be worth putting Trinity off for RCSI?

I really like the teaching methods and course outline here. Like all med courses the work load is heavy enough but the key is not to get overwhelmed if you get me. You'l find everyone saying their college is superior and such but after doing a bit of research i picked here if i didnt get ucc.
    The lecturers are very helpful and are always available if you have a problem. Also all your usual subjects[biochem, anatomy, physiology and pharmacology] are not taught seperately but integrated in various modules which i think is a good thing.
    With regards to trinners they hammered us in a soccer match recently so it's a sore subject... :(

I see.......I think RCSI would be a better choice than Trinity. As long as the teaching methods are good. lol Wow, you guys played that bad? What was the score? :D:D:D

6-0. I know that as i counted them as i picked them out of the net.. Yes we need to close the books and hit the training field. A rocky style montage perhaps..... :D
    Another thing about here is that the main exams aren't just in may. It's semesterised so we're examined in January on what we did from October and then new modules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

I cant resist Mr Ventura, I cant resist, RCSI are a shower of absolute ..... :pac:

• Advertisement

Shane-1 wrote: »
    I cant resist Mr Ventura, I cant resist, RCSI are a shower of absolute ..... :pac:

I'll take an almighty stab in the dark and wager that I may know you Cahill! :mad: Pity you didn't take your own advise then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 an_upstart

did anybody get their admission ticket or candidate no. yet? i didn't seem to have gotten one:(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

an_upstart wrote: »
    did anybody get their admission ticket or candidate no. yet? i didn't seem to have gotten one:(:confused:

Nah, I haven't got anything yet. Not too worried anyway, it's not on for another 2 months....

They might be waiting until the CAO deadline has passed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 an_upstart

bythewoods wrote: »
    Nah, I haven't got anything yet. Not too worried anyway, it's not on for another 2 months....

They might be waiting until the CAO deadline has passed?

hmm..yea maybe:) 2 months is just 60 days in disguise though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bec smith

I've enrolled in [EDIT]a HPAT exam prep course[/EDIT] and am finding it really useful. They say you can't prepare for the HPAT, but I don't believe it at all - I'm already improving lots. They say that because they want a level playing field.

It's actually pretty cheap if you get a group discount (apply with one other person).

Apart from heaps of guides, practice exams and questions, they also have fully worked solutions for the practice book that ACER has.

I'm loving it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bec smith wrote: »
    I've enrolled in [link snip] and am finding it really useful. They say you can't prepare for the HPAT, but I don't believe it at all - I'm already improving lots. They say that because they want a level playing field.

Hardly a level playing field if you have to pay size-able sums of money to level it for you, and making it an uncertain playing field for those who cant afford said courses. You sir(/mam) are defeating the point of this test, undermining the very reason why it was brought in.

Uh... huh. Weird scent of shill about. Very weird indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Uh... huh. Weird scent of shill about. Very weird indeed.

shill?

Basically someone who poses as a real poster but is actually advertising... you know, "Oh guys did you hear about this fantastic hair gel? LINK! It's so good I'm the most popular boy in my school now!"

• Advertisement

Anybody get their admission ticket yet?
    Damn only a month and a half to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement