Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

My test Centre is in Trinity ..... anybody know how to get there from Blanchardstown?? lol

Ohhh, and how are you guys preparing for this test? I'm gonna start practicing and 'stuff' on Monday? I have like 10 practice tests for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

cautioner wrote: »
    Would you mind explaining this? Is it that section A is complete you give it up to receive section B? Damn, I really should get to grips with all this stuff before tomorrow week :confused:

I'm guessing it will be pretty much like the HPAT Ulster.

Between each section they get you to stop and explain how long you have for the next section. You can't turn over the page to the next section until told to do so. There will be supervisors going up and down the rows to check! The questions in section 1 and 2 were multiple choice questions and answered on a separate sheet to the exam book. (section 3 in the HPAT Ulster was 2 written pieces). You don't have enough time to go back over anything to be honest. It was very tight for time with me. Not getting stuck on a question and keep an eye on the time is the best advice when doing it. And don't freak out! I did a little at the start which lost me time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

shamoono wrote: »
    My test Centre is in Trinity ..... anybody know how to get there from Blanchardstown?? lol

Get the 37/39 (can't remember which one goes to town from Blanch, I want to say the 39?!). Get off outside the central bank on Dame street and walk towards the entrance to Trinity (up towards Grafton Street way). I have no idea where abouts in Trinity the test centre is.

(There's a reason I never try to give directions....:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

I was at a guidance counselor/psychologist person to ask about the HPAT, she laughed about the people going to the Institute doing the "prep" courses.
    She told me that you'll do just as well, if not better, if you don't stress yourself out over it and concentrate on studying for the LC instead.
    She said that the HPAT is practice-proof as long as you know the timing, get a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast! :P

Dunno how true any of this is but thought it might be of interest..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

shamoono wrote: »

Ohhh, and how are you guys preparing for this test? I'm gonna start practicing and 'stuff' on Monday? I have like 10 practice tests for this.

Get the 39 to dame street and get off by the central bank, trinity is just down the road if you keep walking straight ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

HQvhs wrote: »
    I was at a guidance counselor/psychologist person to ask about the HPAT, she laughed about the people going to the Institute doing the "prep" courses.
    She told me that you'll do just as well, if not better, if you don't stress yourself out over it and concentrate on studying for the LC instead.
    She said that the HPAT is practice-proof as long as you know the timing, get a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast! :P

Fair enough on the Institute point, but I disagree with the practice-proof point.
    The more you practice the style of questions the better you're going to get at doing them! I'm working through the UMAT sample papers and the HPAT ones, a lot of the questions are kind of recurring... I'm getting gradually, but noticably, better from practice. And that's from all 3 sections, particularly the first one.

I agree with bythewoods. I have actually found that I am improving in the questions. There is a vast amount questions online which you can order with a medicine preparation course. All you have to do is to create a method for each different type of question for Section 1 and 3. As for Section 2 you will just have to start communicate with people and talk about their problems.

Piste wrote: »
    Get the 39 to dame street and get off by the central bank, trinity is just down the road if you keep walking straight ahead.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

As two people have already stated, thats not really true, two guys in my year have done the Prep course (one wanted to, one guys mum made him even though he didnt need it......) both have seen marked improvements in results.

Preformance in standardised exams can be improved if you familiarise yourself with format/question style.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Fad wrote: »
    Preformance in standardised exams can be improved if you familiarise yourself with format/question style.
    I'd say this is probably true, but only if the practice tests are very similar to the real thing and of course it is impossible to be sure if they will be. Since there is no cirriculum or anything then they can ask almost any question they want. I'm not sure if learning off methods would be such a good idea either as the test is designed to asses how you respond to new situations, so it seems likely that the questions in the test will be quite different to the sample tests. Saying that though if you were serious you couldn't possibly do absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

This particular page of this happy little thread rrrreally has the "oh f*ck, oh f*ck, oh f*ck" alarms ringing in my head.

Same :(

I'm guessing it's too late to buy the UMAT tests?

I doubt they'd arrive before Saturday, I was thinking the same thing myself :( I was really worried when I looked over the practice test, I found them much harder even though I did them before. Maybe I was just tired or something. I'm going to have to make sure I'm up really early so I can wake up properly before the test!

This would be a good week to try and deduce my optimum sleep time; I know some people feel more refreshed with 6 hours than 8, think I might possibly be one of them.

Oh, look at that, I think I'm panicking now. Fancy that.

I'm so used to sleeping in til 11.30 on Saturdays, it'll be some shock to the system to be up at half 7, I'll have to have a really early night so!

At least I can drown my sorrows in pink champagne and be comforted by my boyfriend that night!

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that... Second consecutive V.D* in Dublin for me, full of annoyingly happy people skipping around with pink champagne and boyfriends... Nevar again.

*I like to call it VD on behalf of all bitter single people because it sounds somewhat like an STD.

EDIT: But I digress. It's another point I'd wondered about though, having the exam beginning so early. I'm ok because I can crash with my brother Friday night but otherwise I would have had serious trouble getting to an exam centre on time! Makes the lack of a Limerick centre even more odd.

I'll only be annoyingly happyif theexam goes well, if it doesn't it'll be whinging to the boyf all night for me :p

Oh sh** oh sh** oh sh**

I can't believe it's in 6 days. I gotta get to work on practice exams but I have these f***** mocks. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh and how many people are applying to medicine from your school(s) if you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Only about 5 from mine. I see 3/5 doing really well.

Good luck to everyone doing them.

• Advertisement

Wow, I'm the only person from my school. lol

Yeah, good luck to everyone.

Me and one other guy from my school, but he's of the firm opinion that if he gets 480 points he'll get medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone on here have to get up earlier than 6 to get to the exam centre? Pain in the nuts.

If boards is a good indicator of how panicky everyone is, should be a laugh seein everyone at the exam.

From my year there are at least 7 of us sitting the HPAT I think. Not everyone has medicine as the first choice though, I'm hoping that trend is the same across the country!

What could have higher points than Medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kellykl

Hey! Would anyone be kind enough to explain Question 92 in section 3 of the sample booklet for me? The answer in the book is b but any which way I look at it I keep coming up with e! Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

kellykl wrote: »
    Hey! Would anyone be kind enough to explain Question 92 in section 3 of the sample booklet for me? The answer in the book is b but any which way I look at it I keep coming up with e! Help!

Rotate it clockwise by 45 degrees, then 90 then 135 and finally 180 (adding 45 in each case)

That leaves only B and E possible.

The white bar in the middle moves from right to middle then left and then left to middle then right etc.

If you ignored that the wheel did a 180degree rotation you would have picked E but take that into account then it should be B.

An easy way to do it would be to move the white bar first then rotate the wheel.

Hope that was clear enough!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kellykl

Yeah, I see that now. So simple but it was driving me demented!
    Thanks a mill and best of luck to everyone, this time next week it'll be all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Fad wrote: »
    As two people have already stated, thats not really true, two guys in my year have done the Prep course (one wanted to, one guys mum made him even though he didnt need it......) both have seen marked improvements in results.

Well 'tis only what I've been told, I don't mean to make it out to be gospel truth! What the point my guidance counselor was trying to make (I think!) was that studying for the HPAT is futile as it tests your innate strengths. The whole exam deals with how you react under pressure, your on the spot thinking etc.
    Although timing etc. are very important, there really doesn't seem to be any need to spend weeks devoting time and money to it. Just be calm, confident and well-rested. That's my plan! In the end, it's only an aptitude test, and we've all done them before! So good luck to all as well! :)

By the by, I recall reading somewhere that around 2500 people put down Medicine number one in the CAO last year for about 470 places. Last year, about 6200 people received over 480 points in the LC, while 1500 received over 550. So assuming on how you think the new points system will work, that'll help put the competition in perspective. This is all from examinations.ie if you look at their statistics section. Might satisfy some peoples curiosity.. I know it has for me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

In my year there are 3 taking the HPAT including me out of a group of just under a 100.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement