Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 somorain

I have a problem where the inserted 3 Mobile Broadband Modem (1750) switches off after a while. Only a power cycle seems to get it going again. I have connection tracking switched on. Is there anything else I can check on the UMR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

somorain wrote: »
    I have a problem where the inserted 3 Mobile Broadband Modem (1750) switches off after a while. Only a power cycle seems to get it going again. I have connection tracking switched on. Is there anything else I can check on the UMR ?

Get in touch with our support mail and let's examine what's happening.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 somorain

DOVADO wrote: »
    Get in touch with our support mail and let's examine what's happening.

Thanks

support@dovado.com ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KindTommy

Does the APN you're using from your mobile operator provide you a public IP address?

I'm not sure. I use the dongle and internet service from Three Ireland. Does that shed any light on it for you? Maybe some of the other contributers know.

KindTommy wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I use the dongle and internet service from Three Ireland. Does that shed any light on it for you? Maybe some of the other contributers know.

Check our list of APN's on http://www.dovado.com/ie

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

KindTommy wrote: »

It is only relatively recently that the Irish mobile broadband operators have been providing prepay dongles. The Billpay mobile broadband services from O2, Vodafone and 3 all give you a public IP address - it's quite likely (but as yet unconfirmed) that the Prepay services only provide a private IP address, which will limit your game-playing options.

Anyone using Prepay dongles like to report on this?

With a private IP address, the IP address you see on your modem settings (usually of the form 10.x.x.x) will be different from what is seen by websites (e.g. http://whatismyip.com ).

Regards

Gerry Mulvenna, Commsoft Ltd
    mulvenna.org | commsoft.ie | 3G-router.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I'm having the exact same problem as reported by somorain - I have the E160 Huawei modem and three mobile broadband my internet cuts off after a few minutes of 'inactivity' - the connection tracker does reboot the modem, but the connection is never restored.

The only way to get back online is to power-cycle the DOVADO UMR.

This was not that big an issue, until recently when it seems the modem disconnects very quickly! I can sometimes only get online for 5 minutes after power cycling and then I'm cut off. Three must have changed something.
    Funnily enough - if streaming audio or downloading a large file, the modem does not drop - but if its idle for a short time, it drops.

in summary I see two problems here
    1) three broadband seems to drop the connection much more frequently in the last few weeks
    2) when a connection is dropped, connection tracker does reboot the modem, but this does not solve the problem - a full power cycle is needed.

Try getting a hold of any newer Huawei E160 firmware. This is sadly the most buggiest model Huawei has. Which firmware version do you have now?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Bordercat

Hi

Just got the UMR today.
    I have vodafone's mobile broadband sevice. I've installed the UMR successfully with the Wizard and restarted the UMR. The URM recognises the device and reads 29% connectivity. When connected to UMR, ive opened up the vodafone mobile connect software, but the software cannot find the device.....the USB light on the UMR is not lit.

Any pointers?

Bordercat wrote: »
    Hi

Just got the UMR today.
    I have vodafone's mobile broadband sevice. I've installed the UMR successfully with the Wizard and restarted the UMR. The URM recognises the device and reads 29% connectivity. When connected to UMR, ive opened up the vodafone mobile connect software, but the software cannot find the device.....the USB light on the UMR is not lit.

Any pointers?

....not to worry, sorted this morning, had the wrong Service Provider APN (vodafone has 2 different ones) entered...amazing what a good nights sleep does for ya........

• Advertisement

....not to worry, sorted this morning, had the wrong Service Provider APN (vodafone has 2 different ones) entered...amazing what a good nights sleep does for ya........

Is it any of these? http://www.dovado.com/ie

I don't know what firmware I have for the E160 - do you know how to check it, and then how to upgrade it?

tails_naf wrote: »
    I don't know what firmware I have for the E160 - do you know how to check it, and then how to upgrade it?

Yeah, it reports it on the MODEM->MODEM STATUS page.

Let's see what you got first.

Yeah, it reports it on the MODEM->MODEM STATUS page.

Let's see what you got first.

The modem details are:

Modem internal model: E160G
    Modem firmware:11.604.06.00.156

Alright, so it's a E160G, not regular E160. Your operator is THREE?

Here's some threads on the topic I've found:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1081289.html

http://blog.pew.cc/blog/E160+constantly+disconnecting/

This one is most revealing since similar problems happen on other routers:

http://au.billion.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t10910.html

And here's THREE (Australia) site hosting the firmware: http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=Three%2FPage%2FBusinessVideoCallingTemplate&cid=1215747787891

Let us know how it works out!

Hi
    I have the UMR about 5 days now.
    My problem is that my USB connection keeps dropping.

I use Vodafone mobile broadband using dongle K3520 connected to the UMR with a 5 metre usb extension cable. When active, I have a 3G connection of about 29%.

I've configured the connection feature using "google" isp, "irishtimes.ie" isp and "dailymail.co.uk" isp and thereafter restart of UMR.

Unfortunately, after an hour or so, the usb connection drops, the vodafone dongle starts flashing and the USB light on the UMR goes out. Despite having set up the reconnect feature, the UMR does'nt restart and i have to unplug/replug the UMR to start up the usb again.
    Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, after an hour or so, the usb connection drops, the vodafone dongle starts flashing and the USB light on the UMR goes out. Despite having set up the reconnect feature, the UMR does'nt restart and i have to unplug/replug the UMR to start up the usb again.
    Any suggestions?

It could be an issue with the cable you're using. Have you tried without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

Hi
    I have the UMR about 5 days now.
    My problem is that my USB connection keeps dropping.

I use Vodafone mobile broadband using dongle K3520 connected to the UMR with a 5 metre usb extension cable. When active, I have a 3G connection of about 29%.

I've configured the connection feature using "google" isp, "irishtimes.ie" isp and "dailymail.co.uk" isp and thereafter restart of UMR.

Any suggestions?

I think 5 meters is too long, the signal to noise ratio will be brutal, I have tried using diferent setups and longer calbes and testing the quality using speedtest.net the new ping test is very usefull as you will see Jitter (which I think a good indicator of signal loss and electrical noise), you will notice your speed and ping improve with a shorter cable, I know you say it is dropping out but this is probably due to signal loss which is the same type of problem

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

BTW the signal meter on the mobile data device is not a reliable way of measuring signal quality, if you put a mobile phone near my 3Gstick the signal bars go up but when you do a speed test the speed drops greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Happy UMR user here, wondering how to deal with one issue.

I have a o2 Sierra Compass 888 that I have gotten unlocked by o2 so I can use 3 broadband add ons if and when i need it. This works perfectly on the pc, I've got a separate profile on the o2 watcher program for 3 broadband.

I'm wondering how I go about using the modem with the 3 broadband sim in it with my UMR. Any help would be appreciated!

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Happy UMR user here, wondering how to deal with one issue.

I have a o2 Sierra Compass 888 that I have gotten unlocked by o2 so I can use 3 broadband add ons if and when i need it. This works perfectly on the pc, I've got a separate profile on the o2 watcher program for 3 broadband.

I'm wondering how I go about using the modem with the 3 broadband sim in it with my UMR. Any help would be appreciated!

No reason why it shouldn't. All you need to do is to use the right APN that fits your subscription. We keep a list of them here: http://www.dovado.com/ie

Thanks

If there is anyone with an O2 Sierra Wireless 302 modem out there (along with a DOVADO UMR), please get in touch. We have added support for it in a beta, and would like to have someone verify it.

Thanks

Szondi wrote: »
    Hi Dovado

Recently broke my E220 and got me a new K3765.

Doesn't seem to be supported by UMR router

Can you let me know if you are going to support it

Am really lost without the wireless

Thanks

SZ

This modem will be supported in the coming 4.1 firmware.

Please get in touch with us directly at support@dovado.com with a request to test the beta.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stone39

abes216 wrote: »
    I did select GPS option. Just is not showing Longitude... as on picture.
    Did U test dovado with this receiver?

plug gps in dovado and reset router.
    GPS MUST have free sky, or it doesnt work at all, and you get "LOST".
    If you want really fleet-management, please check out these:
    http://www.sporing.gps-tracking.no/spor/dovado-registrering.php
    just put in your seral no. and your email!

Hello all,

Next week we are launching a new firmware, version 4.1

In it will be about 10 new modems (Vodafone K3765 and Sierra Wireless 302 are amongst them), fixes, enhancements as well as boatloads of new bells and whistles!

Beta testing is ongoing and so far so good.

One really cool thing we've cooked up for y'all is an express firmware upgrader, in the form of an exe file which you just double-click and it upgrades the router for you. This cuts down the time and energy in trying to do it the old "download, unzip, login, browse and upgrade" way.

We hope you'll enjoy the new firmware.

PS: We've managed to speed up the user interface!

;)

stone39 wrote: »
    If you want really fleet-management, please check out these:
    http://www.sporing.gps-tracking.no/spor/dovado-registrering.php
    just put in your seral no. and your email!

Can you put up some screenshots or summary of what this does? It doesn't say much.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stone39

Can you put up some screenshots or summary of what this does? It doesn't say much.

thanks
    you just set your ftp-connection in the router to a gps-tracking server.
    (after registrating,the gps-server mail you a configuration for the router, and a username and password.) Then you can login, and follow your dovado real-time on google map, and look at the history, where it was 'last summer'. Also possible to have many dovado's on same account, and same map. Its a real-time fleet management, but only on norwegian language. (google map can everyone understand).;)
    some screenshots here:
    http://www.gps-tracking.no/gps-sporing/index-filer/webkart.htm

stone39 wrote: »
    you just set your ftp-connection in the router to a gps-tracking server.
    (after registrating,the gps-server mail you a configuration for the router, and a username and password.) Then you can login, and follow your dovado real-time on google map, and look at the history, where it was 'last summer'. Also possible to have many dovado's on same account, and same map. Its a real-time fleet management, but only on norwegian language. (google map can everyone understand).;)
    some screenshots here:
    http://www.gps-tracking.no/gps-sporing/index-filer/webkart.htm

A very cool application, indeed!

Would it be possible to fix that web page for the DOVADO registration? I tried 3 different kinds of browsers, and I can't see the fields to enter the information due to the UMR and GPS dongles photo on the right, which is covering it.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kcolyhs

Hello all,

Next week we are launching a new firmware, version 4.1

In it will be about 10 new modems (Vodafone K3765 and Sierra Wireless 302 are amongst them), fixes, enhancements as well as boatloads of new bells and whistles!

Beta testing is ongoing and so far so good.

One really cool thing we've cooked up for y'all is an express firmware upgrader, in the form of an exe file which you just double-click and it upgrades the router for you. This cuts down the time and energy in trying to do it the old "download, unzip, login, browse and upgrade" way.

We hope you'll enjoy the new firmware.

PS: We've managed to speed up the user interface!

;)
    Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to installing 4.1 upon release.

I had a lot of trouble with 4.0.2. The UMR was crashing several times a day requiring powering down each time.

I reverted to 3.0.6 and have had a perfect connection since 5 days. Not a single disconnect or crash under sustained heavy use. The UMR with the right firmware and configuration is truly amazing!

• Advertisement

Kcolyhs wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to installing 4.1 upon release.

I had a lot of trouble with 4.0.2. The UMR was crashing several times a day requiring powering down each time.

I reverted to 3.0.6 and have had a perfect connection since 5 days. Not a single disconnect or crash under sustained heavy use. The UMR with the right firmware and configuration is truly amazing!

What kind of modem and which operator are you connecting with?

When you say "crash", does that mean you can't access the Internet or can't acccess Internet+the router itself?

Thanks

Advertisement