Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Hi Gerry. Yes that's what I've done and no success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LiamDowling

I've tried a Dovado UMR with the "Internet->Internet Connection->Ethernet cable in WAN port" option selected, running Version 4.0 of the UMR Firmware.
    It worked for me. So, the problem isn't DHCP or Version 4 of the firmware. I'll check out the Digiweb Metro and see if there's anything else I can dig up

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

lovely Dovado support sent me the rescue program, but I can't connect the laptop to the router via the ethernet cable to upload the fix.

Running Vista Home Premium and no matter how I change the TCP/IPv4 settings of my LAN connection (it IS 192.168.1.2 yes ?) I just get "Limited Connectivity"
    Subnet mask defaults to 255.255.255.0 - is this right ?

Getting frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hey DOVADO,

It appears that the javascript that requires the number to SMS to be preceded with a + (as in International dialling code) prevents O2 broadband users texting the Blueroom for presale tickets. Customers are requested to send an SMS to 51020 and sending to +35351020 didn't work because I didn't get a reply from the O2 presale auto-response system. Hacking your javascript on the fly with Firebug, removing the requirement for a + and texting 51020 resulted in an instant response as expected.

It might be worth looking into removing this requirement at some stage? Or is it something I did?

Note that I can send regular text messages to +353xxxxxxxxx numbers :)

Can I just say a MASSIVE thank you both to Liam Dowling of Commsoft and to Samira of Dovado who've got me back online....

These are 2 wonderful people who know how to give great customer service - I wish there were more like them.

Thanks a million x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

Hey DOVADO,

It appears that the javascript that requires the number to SMS to be preceded with a + (as in International dialling code) prevents O2 broadband users texting the Blueroom for presale tickets. Customers are requested to send an SMS to 51020 and sending to +35351020 didn't work because I didn't get a reply from the O2 presale auto-response system. Hacking your javascript on the fly with Firebug, removing the requirement for a + and texting 51020 resulted in an instant response as expected.

It might be worth looking into removing this requirement at some stage? Or is it something I did?

Note that I can send regular text messages to +353xxxxxxxxx numbers :)

We covered this on our support site.....

http://www.dovado.com/UMR_Support.html#umrsmsshortno

Samira of Dovado

Don't mention it! My name is Samir btw... Samira is a female version of my name, like Alan->Alana, Robert->Roberta, etc.

My friends call me Sam!

All the best to you!

DOVADO wrote: »
    Don't mention it! My name is Samir btw... Samira is a female version of my name, like Alan->Alana, Robert->Roberta, etc.

My friends call me Sam!

All the best to you!

(sorry for changing your gender Sam :o)

(sorry for changing your gender Sam :o)

No worries! Nothing a pint can't fix! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about buying one of your routers to use with my o2 Sierra Wireless 888 3g modem. The main reason I'm considering buying the router off you guys is so I can use it with Xbox Live.

So my question is, will this work? As many people have advised me that online gaming is too much to ask for from a 3g device. Although its listed as one of the services that could be used on your website.

Also, what is your returns policy if the router didnt meet my needs?

Any advice is appreciated,
    Thanks a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

Hi Thudd
    thudd wrote: »
    I'm thinking about buying one of your routers to use with my o2 Sierra Wireless 888 3g modem. The main reason I'm considering buying the router off you guys is so I can use it with Xbox Live.

So my question is, will this work? As many people have advised me that online gaming is too much to ask for from a 3g device. Although its listed as one of the services that could be used on your website.

I'd suggest doing a few speed tests, e.g. using http://speedtest.net

and post your typical LATENCY / DOWNLOAD / UPLOAD stats. Hopefully other Xbox Live users could comment on how they think you might fare.

Forgive my ignorance, but is the type of game(s) a factor?

Any Xbox Live users using O2 mobile broadband want to comment?

Any advice is appreciated,
    Thanks a lot
    Just take care unpacking the UMR - keep all the bits and pieces. If you're not satisfied, just return the UMR in it's original packaging within a reasonable time-frame (e.g. 14 days) and we will give a refund.

Regards
    --
    Gerry Mulvenna, Commsoft Ltd
    mulvenna.org | commsoft.ie | 3G-router.ie

thudd wrote: »

Well, if the game has a lot of latency, especially if you're playing shoot-em-up games like Halo, then it's at no fault of the router. It's the mobile broadband network you're on. The router offers virtually no extra latency than what you get out of the USB modem directly in your PC. So, try playing first on your computer with the USB modem before you invest further in equipment you're not certain will do the trick for you. The DOVADO UMR will bridge the divide between your XBOX and the 3G network, but it's entirely up to the good mood of the network to deliver you the right bandwidth, latency and steadiness in connection. I myself played a lot of HALO during the rainy summer days, and can say that the latency was for the most part under 100ms, sometimes down to 65ms or so. It's bearable, but of course it's not like when playing over an ADSL connection for instance.

So in conclusion, please try it out on the PC first.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try out the suggestion of PC -> Xbox first so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi Guys

I am have been having problems with my router

Lately the USB light is not coming on and even though the 3G dongle is working, its not showing as connected

It comes on for a bit then it looses connection again

I think that the USB ports are knackered.

I am currently connected directly to the dongle thus able to post

Have a Huawei E220

Any ideas....will i need to send it for repair ?

Thanks

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Alright Eric, glad you had that all in place.

I don't believe the E169 cable requires a Y-cable as 0.5A is what it is specified for. You only need the cable for modems that require more than 0.5A in order to get maximum effect. The Huawei E220 for instance, is optimal at 0.7A.

As for the 5 meter cable, yes, that'd be the max length. It could be a dodgy cable, but you can do the following as well:

- Tried without the UMR?
    - Follow the guide that's on http://www.dovado.com/hspa
    - Force the modem to 3G-only mode (MODEM->MODEM SETTINGS page).
    - Try without the USB cable by placing the UMR elsewhere.

Let us know how it works out.

Hi Dovado,

just posting an FYI on my intermittent connection problem a while back...the problem is the 5 meters of USB cable. It wasn't my router settings.
    It's not the cable itself, as I've tried 2, it's the length. As I suspected, there isn't enough power from one usb port to constantly supply the modem. Going back to a 1mtr cable works fine, stable connection, albeit a poorer signal. I may try a 2-1 USB adaptor with the 5mtr cable, as my signal strength greatly improves using the passive repeater 5mtr cable, and see if that resolves the problem. I'll let you know if I do...

thanks for your help.

cheers/Eric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bluepepper

Greetings to the group, I´m a new scriber but "old" reader,

I have problems with my UMR router too:
    when I power it ON all works ok after the circa 60 seconds for initiation.
    Both the yellow USB LED of the router and the blue one of the USB modem are lit.

I´m using it with a USB- 3g - modem (HUAWEI 160 or HUAWEI 176) - no connection to the WAN port.

If I use the internet via the USB modem with only short time breaks all works ok BUT if I don´t use the USB modem for about 20 or more minutes both the USB LED of the UMR router AND the blue LED in the modem switch off.
    It is then not more possible to awake them, I have to power off and on the machine.
    Then all works ok again until the next interruption.

The data of my router:
    Dovado UMR, Ser.#: 16a61030a2, Prod.revision: 1, firmware ver.: 4.0
    (successfully upgrated).

My modems:
    HUAWEI 160 and HUAWEI 176 - both show the same effect.

BUT: this does not happen with these modems and a HUAWEI D100 router....

What can I do, this is very annoying.

Greetings and thanks, bluepepper

PS: Please excuse my english - its not my mothers tongue

bluepepper wrote: »
    Greetings to the group, I´m a new scriber but "old" reader,

I have problems with my UMR router too:
    when I power it ON all works ok after the circa 60 seconds for initiation.
    Both the yellow USB LED of the router and the blue one of the USB modem are lit.

I´m using it with a USB- 3g - modem (HUAWEI 160 or HUAWEI 176) - no connection to the WAN port.

If I use the internet via the USB modem with only short time breaks all works ok BUT if I don´t use the USB modem for about 20 or more minutes both the USB LED of the UMR router AND the blue LED in the modem switch off.
    It is then not more possible to awake them, I have to power off and on the machine.
    Then all works ok again until the next interruption.

The data of my router:
    Dovado UMR, Ser.#: 16a61030a2, Prod.revision: 1, firmware ver.: 4.0
    (successfully upgrated).

My modems:
    HUAWEI 160 and HUAWEI 176 - both show the same effect.

BUT: this does not happen with these modems and a HUAWEI D100 router....

What can I do, this is very annoying.

Greetings and thanks, bluepepper

PS: Please excuse my english - its not my mothers tongue

Hi Bluepepper!

Have you tried setting up the Connection Tracker? http://www.dovado.com/hspa

If that doesn't do the trick, please email us (take a look at http://www.dovado.com/support on how to contact us) and we can investigate.

Thanks,

Team DOVADO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bluepepper

Hi Bluepepper!

Have you tried setting up the Connection Tracker? http://www.dovado.com/hspa

Thanks,

Team DOVADO

This did the job - now all works ok.

Thanks, bluepepper

• Registered Users Posts: 24 heinz57g

could it be that the latest firmware actually broke something, at least for me?

have three modems here, all of which i am 100% sure they worked only a few
    weeks ago: the old workhorse Huawei E220, a ZTE 626MF, and a ZTE K3565-Z.

the HUAWEI still works fine, but both ZTEs are not recognized at all. anyhow
    trying to connect just gives 'MODEM ERROR'.

any idea where to start looking?

greetings - heinz -

Read the release notes on 4.0.1 firmware which came out yesterday.

Thanks

• Advertisement

sorry? thats just the one i used, and the actual update went fine. and there it says
    '' ... ZTE modems compatibility improved ...'', which with me is just the opposite.

what have i missed?

greetings - heinz -

Heinz,

I kindly urge you to get in touch with us at support@dovado.com if you have a technical problem of that nature. No point in discussing it here if it requires the kind of assistance only we can provide.

Thanks

sure will do (actually, have done so). but i thought the help given here on the board then
    also benefits others, or might get others to report similar problems, and then, hopefully,
    find similar solutions.

all the previous mssgs were along those lines, but if you think this is better discussed with
    your support alone, so be it.

greetings - heinz -

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Emoyeni

Hi there.

First things first. Dovado, I would like to commend you on the level of customer support you offer both through this forum and through your support email account. As somebody who purchases a relatively large amount of consumer electronic goods for personal use, service of this level and standard seems to be second to none. Of course any business should be offering this standard of before & after sales support as a given but sadly this is not the case with so many of the large and small corporate conglomerates, so in that case well done. I might also extend an invitation to some of the PC/Hardware magazines to possibly review your product in their upcoming editions.

I do have some questions pertaining to the amount of devices that one would be limited to in terms of connecting to the UMR and while I do appreciate that it's primarily a broadband router, is it suitable for ethernet hard drives that have other hard drives daisy chained via USB.

Thanks,
    Emoyeni.

Hi Emoyeni,

It is our pleasure to offer our support since even the very best of products will eventually require support. Therefore, a product is only as good as the support it is given. That's how one should really compare the overall experiences.

In any case, we have a few statements on our website regarding the use of the additional USB port: http://www.dovado.com/UMR_Support.html#umr2ndport

You can of course plug in (via Ethernet) an external chassi on the LAN which contains one or several HDD's. There are many brands that offer affordable variants of that. Our ambition is to maximize the full potential of mobile broadband, and our R&D is entirely wrapped around innovating new features the Internet community hasn't really seen to date, which is why we have introduced things like Home Automation via web/SMS and, SMS Remote Control, Internet Traffic Notifications via SMS, Wake-on-LAN (via web/SMS) and other features which keep our growing brand unique.

We will continue to cook up new interesting things we believe will keep peoples' interest in our products in the future.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,817 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I bought the Dovado UMR and at first found it to be extremely easy to use and without much flaw however recently (since I arrived home from a weeks holidays yesterday) it seems to be acting up. It connects to the net and works fine for about five minutes, then disconnects from the net. My USB dongle connected to the laptop seems fine on its own. I've downloaded and installed the latest release 4.0.1 and it makes no difference. I've tried resetting and starting from scratch (holding the reset for 8seconds and going through the set up procedure again) but still without luck.

I'm far from a techie so most of the stuff in the system menu is beyond what I know about computers, but I'm hoping that Dovado here or maybe someone else can help. Is there anything I should be looking for. I didn't change anything before or since I went on holidays except it was plugged out the whole time I was away.

Something that might be of note is the date at the top of the menu always seems to read 2000-01-01 as in new years day 2000 :confused: This might have no bearing at all but just said I'd mention it as I thought it to be odd.

Its so frustrating, Can anyone help?

The date 2000-01-01 is what it normally reads prior to an NTP (Network Time Protocol) synchronization over the Internet. There are servers which it will synchronize with once you have established the Internet connection.

As for your problem, have you applied use of the Connection Tracker?

We can analyze this further and get down to the bottom of it if you contact us directly: http://www.dovado.com/UMR_Support.html#support

Thanks,
    Team DOVADO

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Hi There,
    Last week I got one of O2's sierra 888 usb dongles on a 3 day trial. Upload speeds were way better than my existing 3's E160G dongle. Only problem was that the sierra modem would disconnect withself (blue lights would start flashing) at night. I would have to reseat the dongle to get it back working. My Dovado UMR is on firmware 4.0.0.

Anyone else getting this problem and is there a solution to it?

Also is anyone esle getting crap upload speeds of .05mbps on a 3 E160G dongle? I can't get past this speed. 3 must have it limited to this speed. Not great for Skype access.

Thanks a mill

Here's what you're looking for: http://www.dovado.com/hspa

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try it and see how I get on.

I forgot to mention that the O2 uplink speed is between .5mbps and 1mbps compared to 3's uplink speed which is always .05mbps.

Thanks again
    B

Advertisement