Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOVADO UMR - 3G USB router (For use with O2, Three & Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eurmal

muffo wrote: »
    I had been using a MacBook Air and a Canon iP5200R connected wirelessly through a Time Capsule.

I have just switched to a Dovado UMR with a 3G dongle and this gives me WiFi connectivity for the four computers that I have around the house.

However, I have not been able to get the Canon printer to work wirelessly.

I inserted the printer lead into the USB port not being used by the 3G dongle but nothing happens when I try to print. The UMR manual makes no reference to printing.

Is there a simple solution to this problem, please?
    Muffo,

Are you still using your time capsule in this configuration? I'm wondering if the UMR could be connected to the WAN port of the time capsule so that I can use the time capsule as the AP/Router over 802.11n and ensure Mac compatibility.

Regards,

Eurmal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

My Dovado has stopped recognising the O2 dongle. My laptop finds the dovado, but I can't get internet, the dongle works when I plug it in directly to the laptop usb.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    My Dovado has stopped recognising the O2 dongle. My laptop finds the dovado, but I can't get internet, the dongle works when I plug it in directly to the laptop usb.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dr. Nick

A few of the usual questions:

What firmware version is installed on your UMR?
    Which modem are you using?
    What is the indicator light on the modem doing when the modem is connected to the UMR?
    Are the PIN (if any) and Access Point Name still correctly set on the Dovado UMR's Modem Settings?
    Are you using a USB extension cable? (A double-ended one can help, one that's too long can cause problems.)

Regards

Gerry Mulvenna, Commsoft Ltd
    mulvenna.org | commsoft.ie | 3G-router.ie

Answers below

Thanks for the response. The router has worked perfectly for more than 3 months, bit of a mystery as to why it stopped working, nothing changed that I know of.
    Commsoft wrote: »
    Hi Dr. Nick

A few of the usual questions:

What firmware version is installed on your UMR?
    Which modem are you using?
    E220
    What is the indicator light on the modem doing when the modem is connected to the UMR?
    Flashing!

Are the PIN (if any) and Access Point Name still correctly set on the Dovado UMR's Modem Settings?
    No pin
    Are you using a USB extension cable? (A double-ended one can help, one that's too long can cause problems.)
    Double-ended one that came in the package

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭DOVADO

We fixed a bug in 3.0.5 that was identified in 3.0/3.0.3:

"Resolved an issue where UMR might lose its configuration settings."

It says so in the 3.0.5 release notes: http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Try upgrading to that one!

Thanks,

Team DOVADO

• Advertisement

DOVADO wrote: »
    We fixed a bug in 3.0.5 that was identified in 3.0/3.0.3:

"Resolved an issue where UMR might lose its configuration settings."

It says so in the 3.0.5 release notes: http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Try upgrading to that one!

Thanks,

Team DOVADO

Sorted thanks. Needed to re-enter the o2 configuration settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

can you use two dongles on the router, ie 3 and o2

?

or just one?

I would like to use two dongles if possible, can it be done?

can you use two dongles on the router, ie 3 and o2

?

or just one?

I would like to use two dongles if possible, can it be done?

Answer is here: http://www.dovado.com/UMR_Support.html#umrextrausb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kcolyhs

eurmal wrote: »
    Is it possible to use the UMR just as a WAN link attached to another (802.11n) Wireless AP/Router?
    Actually that is a good question.

My UMR is connected to 3 WiFi access points in series.

I have a problem with bandwidth hogs on my network, and am planning on adding a DD-Wrt router downstream from the Dovado to try and shape traffic using QOS.

It is possible to disable the UMR router function and let the DD-WRT take care of traffic functions?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fintan29

Hi Dovado. I got the UMR around a month ago and it's great! But recently, the connection seems to go for around 30 seconds-1 minute quite a number of times a day. My computer couldn't find what the problem was. It's not annoying when I'm browsing the internet, but can be if it happens in the middle of a race in Mario Kart on the Wii.
    Could it have anything to do with the firewall? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Fintan29 wrote: »
    Hi Dovado. I got the UMR around a month ago and it's great! But recently, the connection seems to go for around 30 seconds-1 minute quite a number of times a day. My computer couldn't find what the problem was. It's not annoying when I'm browsing the internet, but can be if it happens in the middle of a race in Mario Kart on the Wii.
    Could it have anything to do with the firewall? Thanks in advance.

Well, the summer months tend to be the most challenging for mobile broadband since there are a lot more users on these networks. I am now out in the countryside, and have seen a sharp drop in speed and connectivity compared to previous months. Fortunately, the Connection Tracker within the UMR keeps an eye on things. Try it out: http://www.dovado.com/hspa

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Hi
    I was thinking of getting this router but just wanted to check what is the range of this router. I will more than likely have to put it in my attic and was just wondering will my laptop be able to pick it up. At most i will probably 15 metres away.

smoochie06 wrote: »
    Hi
    I was thinking of getting this router but just wanted to check what is the range of this router. I will more than likely have to put it in my attic and was just wondering will my laptop be able to pick it up. At most i will probably 15 metres away.

Smoochie,

You ought to be fine with that distance, but if not, then of course it's the building material which is impeding it. You can always swap out the WLAN antenna with any other generic WLAN antenna that has a reverse-SMA plug on it. You can find them in many IT shops.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Hi All,

I bought a Dovado router earlier in the week. Sometimes, it would seem it can't connect to my provider (Three), or doesn't read the modem. There's a blue light flashing from the e169g modem, but no USB led on the router.
    UMR homepage just says "no signal" from the modem.

I'm using a 5mtr USB cable to get the height at the window upstairs for best signal strength. Could be that there isn't enough power from one USB port?
    Anyone know where they got them USB Y-connectors from ??

There was none with the router. Ebay is an option, but it means Hong Kong only, and having to buy a cable, and a male to female adaptor...gets rather expensive.

BTW, for anyone using a USB extension cable....when the modem does work, I have found using a 5mtr USB passive repeater cable, gives more signal strength than an ordinary 5mtr USB cable. (41% to 52% diff). I'm hoping a y-cable will help boost the power to the repeater + modem. Or will it not matter ?

cheers/Eric.

Eric,

Did you insert the APN (Access Point Name) of Three, along with your PIN code?

Sorry if it seems like a silly question, but people have forgotten to read the manual a few times....

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Yeah,

There is no pin code required, I even rang 'Three' to confirm.
    Just the APN address required. If there was a pin code it would never work.

Don't get me wrong, the router does work,
    it's just very temperamental......some may say 'flakey'.
    Sometimes takes a few reboots to pick up the modem properly.

I was just asking whether it could be the 5mtr extension lead I'm using, could be a lack of power to the modem ?

/Eric.

Alright Eric, glad you had that all in place.

I don't believe the E169 cable requires a Y-cable as 0.5A is what it is specified for. You only need the cable for modems that require more than 0.5A in order to get maximum effect. The Huawei E220 for instance, is optimal at 0.7A.

As for the 5 meter cable, yes, that'd be the max length. It could be a dodgy cable, but you can do the following as well:

- Tried without the UMR?
    - Follow the guide that's on http://www.dovado.com/hspa
    - Force the modem to 3G-only mode (MODEM->MODEM SETTINGS page).
    - Try without the USB cable by placing the UMR elsewhere.

Let us know how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Hey Dovado,

Would it be possible for a future firmware version to provide Email alerts for traffic as well as SMS? It's just I'd notice an email a whole lot quicker than an SMS to the broadband number because I don't log into the UMR all that often.

Also, would it be possible to enable a feature that can treat the two USB ports independantly? That is, I can have say an O2 modem hooked up to USB1 (with it's own APN and other settings), and I can have a 3/vodafone modem hooked up to USB2, which I can use if I exceed my O2 traffic allowance..

Hey Dovado,

Would it be possible for a future firmware version to provide Email alerts for traffic as well as SMS? It's just I'd notice an email a whole lot quicker than an SMS to the broadband number because I don't log into the UMR all that often.

Also, would it be possible to enable a feature that can treat the two USB ports independantly? That is, I can have say an O2 modem hooked up to USB1 (with it's own APN and other settings), and I can have a 3/vodafone modem hooked up to USB2, which I can use if I exceed my O2 traffic allowance..

Email traffic notifications will be available in 4.0, yes.

As for 2 USB modems, here's our statement on that: http://www.dovado.com/UMR_Support.html#umrextrausb

cheers

DOVADO wrote: »
    Email traffic notifications will be available in 4.0, yes.

As for 2 USB modems, here's our statement on that: http://www.dovado.com/UMR_Support.html#umrextrausb

cheers

Thanks for the very prompt response Dovado, completely missed that bit on USB2's purpose but I'm happy to hear email notifications will be available :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hey Dovado,

Bear in mind you NEVER want two modems on the same operator or channel as W-CDMA scales so badly...
    5 USB Modem users at once on same mast sector can be as poor as 1/20th of speed per user. 5 users on Router with one USB modem on sector and you get near 1/5th of the speed each.

3G was really a backward step to use W-CDMA.

Also two Modems at once even on different channels/operators so close would create interference. If you have a 2nd operator to get more traffic, simply change over Modem every 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sabetalo

eurmal wrote: »
    Muffo,

Are you still using your time capsule in this configuration? I'm wondering if the UMR could be connected to the WAN port of the time capsule so that I can use the time capsule as the AP/Router over 802.11n and ensure Mac compatibility.

Regards,

Eurmal

I have the UMR connected to the WAN port of an airport extreme. It work's perfectly.

watty wrote: »
    Bear in mind you NEVER want two modems on the same operator or channel as W-CDMA scales so badly...
    5 USB Modem users at once on same mast sector can be as poor as 1/20th of speed per user. 5 users on Router with one USB modem on sector and you get near 1/5th of the speed each.

3G was really a backward step to use W-CDMA.

Also two Modems at once even on different channels/operators so close would create interference. If you have a 2nd operator to get more traffic, simply change over Modem every 2 weeks.

Thanks watty! Looks like I'll have to get up into the attic on the rare times I go over my cap.

Thanks watty! Looks like I'll have to get up into the attic on the rare times I go over my cap.

EHEM! You can put up a 2nd UMR with a USB modem inserted. Then when the first one runs out, you can SMS it to disconnect, and SMS the other one to connect! :-)

Sorry about that, I just had to jump in!

In the coming 4.0 firmware, you can designate the USB modems to remain offline upon boot-up until you connect it via the web interface or SMS. This means that should your router(s) reboot on account of a power outage, they'll remain in disconnected mode until you specify otherwise.

cheers

Hi all!

Lots of new features and modem support available in version 4.0 of the DOVADO UMR firmware!

Come get it! http://www.dovado.com/umrfirmware

Thanks,

Team DOVADO

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Help !!!!

My Dovado UMR has stopped working tonight - worked fine earlier but on switching it on this evening, the lights on the front panel light up on power-up but instead of the Wi-Fi and USB ones remaining lit, they all go out except the green PWR one and my Acer laptop can't detect the wireless network.

Software v 3.0
    Modem Huawei E220 (soap on a rope) with 3 Ireland

It's the European power supply model plugged into a travel adaptor which is working fine

I've tried plugging a network cable direct from the ethernet of the laptop into the back of it and still no joy - I get an "Invalid IP address" error message.

I've had it a little over a year now - does that mean it's out of warranty ??

I've noticed that I live about half an hour from the Ireland distributor of the UMR - would they be able to check it out for me ??

Any help much appreciated - been without internet for a week already thanks to 3 coverage issues and I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance

Help !!!!

Contact our support mailbox: http://www.dovado.com/support

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Have done now - thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

I cannot get UMR to connect to internet through WAN

I have Digiweb metro. Internet works fine if I connect laptop to the digiweb modem through ethernet. I have gone through the UMR configuration page and I want to use ethernet cable in wan port as myprimaryinternet connection.WAN port IP settings are DHCP (checked this with Digiweb). I have powered on / off the modem and UMR numerous times in different sequences. I have an excellent wireless signal strenth between the laptop and the UMR. On UMR the following lights are on
    PWR
    WiFI
    WAN is flashing and light above it is constant on

I am using Windows vista

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Commsoft

I have Digiweb metro. Internet works fine if I connect laptop to the digiweb modem through ethernet. I have gone through the UMR configuration page and I want to use ethernet cable in wan port as myprimaryinternet connection.WAN port IP settings are DHCP (checked this with Digiweb). I have powered on / off the modem and UMR numerous times in different sequences. I have an excellent wireless signal strenth between the laptop and the UMR. On UMR the following lights are on
    PWR
    WiFI
    WAN is flashing and light above it is constant on
    Hi Nazoil, this is probably the procedure you followed, but just in case. You can configure the UMR to use the WAN port as its internet connection from the INTERNET -> INTERNET CONNECTION screen:
    InternetConnection.png

Select "Ethernet cable in WAN port", Save Settings and Restart.

Regards
    --

Advertisement