Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

half price laptops tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pmulv

The battery gets very hot with mine and I dont think lasts very long?
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Also, what was the model number ?

I was in Tesco Clarehall and Tesco Finglas, the 15" Acer 5315 was priced at €599 and the 17" Acer 5620 was priced at €699.

Where are all the cheap ones gone ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Where are all the cheap ones gone

Into the homes of boards members :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Saw on the television that this weekend's Harvery Norman's "sale" includes acer laptop for 299! I'm kind of gone off the idea now, my son's decided on a leopard Gecko for his birthday instead of a laptop! Pheww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Esse85 wrote: »
    Where

Tesco Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

any word about acer spec in harvey normans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I was in Harvey Normans yesterday and there was no sign of the €299 offer :( cos my sis wants a laptop for xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DeathDisco

ronano wrote: »
    any word about acer spec in harvey normans?

The one in harvey normans is Acer Aspire one A110L
    • Processor - Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz
    • RAM - 512 MB (installed) 1.5 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM
    • Hard Drive - 8 GB SSD
    • Operating System - Linpus Linux Lite version
    • Screen - 8.9 in TFT active matrix 1024 x 600
    • Graphics - Mobile Intel 82801GBM Chipset
    • Bluetooth - No
    • Warranty - 1 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

DeathDisco wrote: »
    The one in harvey normans is Acer Aspire one A110L
    • Processor - Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz
    • RAM - 512 MB (installed) 1.5 GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM
    • Hard Drive - 8 GB SSD
    • Operating System - Linpus Linux Lite version
    • Screen - 8.9 in TFT active matrix 1024 x 600
    • Graphics - Mobile Intel 82801GBM Chipset
    • Bluetooth - No
    • Warranty - 1 year warranty

Totally different thing, not a laptop, don't buy this if you want a laptop. Is a web \ word machine only. Handy as it is small with a solid state drive, but definitely not a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Cant you install winxp on those laptops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DeathDisco

Cant you install winxp on those laptops

I'm sure you can.

There are netbooks called EEEPc 900 made by Asus, they have a bigger sdd disc, more rams and windows xp installed and cost only 20 euros more in pixmania, so the acer's netbooks from hn aren't really a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DancingRainDrop

Anyon know if there's any cheap Samsungs left in Tesco Jervis?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joefromireland

Still a few laptops to be had , need to ask not all are been put out for sale.
    the guy first brought me out a amd at 299 did not fancy it as it appeared not to be dual core then I got a samsung r40p for 324.49 which seem to be ok not exactly half price but good value

Update
    opened box to find battery and psu missing but not before I rang my son at 1 am to tell of the good news.
    I think they r60 left but at 20% off
    to late to bring it back tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Tesco Tallaght yesterday had Acer laptops half price €299 and some Desktops half price also €299, didn't notice the specs but there were
    around 5-6 people looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

DeathDisco wrote: »
    I'm sure you can.

There are netbooks called EEEPc 900 made by Asus, they have a bigger sdd disc, more rams and windows xp installed and cost only 20 euros more in pixmania, so the acer's netbooks from hn aren't really a bargain.

Would agree with you on that if you want an xp netbook.

For those with a bit cash there is a 10" xp one with 40GB solid state instead of HD here: http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1644985/art/asus/eeepc-1000-black.html for €454

There is a 80GB hard disk version here: http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1543721/art/asus/eeepc-1000h-black.html for €419 (also available in white)

Asus are making these EEE babys for some time now, originally only with linux and smaller screens. They are all using the Intel Atom N270 1.6 CPU. Both above have 1GB of RAM and XP.

Boopolo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Right, who is buying red Samsung R60P in Clarehall and not posting? Went in to see what they had, and they have plenty of Black ones which are not on display but with boxes on the floor behind the electronics desk. Asked the guy there and he said they had about 10 going this week in Red for €299, but the last one went today (and before I got there).

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Although it had already been posted here some people seem to have been confused and so I decided to add the details to this more appropriate thread here.

I just came back from Tesco Tralee (Manor West, not the one in Abbey Court) and found they still have some decent notebooks available at half price:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Quaderno wrote: »
    Although it had already been posted here some people seem to have been confused and so I decided to add the details to this more appropriate thread here.

I just came back from Tesco Tralee (Manor West, not the one in Abbey Court) and found they still have some decent notebooks available at half price:

i got the 1st one the 1st time round for 375e(around november) half price and the keyboard has been faulty since day one ,as i dont use the keyboard often i havent brought it back(plus the fact im too lazy) so i wouldnt recommend one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

POKERKING wrote: »
    as i dont use the keyboard often i havent brought it back(plus the fact im too lazy)

You bought a new laptop with full warranty, discovered the keyboard was faulty and did not bring it back? You must be really lazy :)
    Anyway, I bought an Aspire 2920 (first link) on saturday and so far I am very pleased. It seems to be impossible to get any core2duo-equipped machine for that price online, not to speak of brick and mortar. I think it is fair value and if it should by chance be faulty you can return it without any problem I would think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Quaderno wrote: »
    You bought a new laptop with full warranty, discovered the keyboard was faulty and did not bring it back? You must be really lazy :)
    Anyway, I bought an Aspire 2920 (first link) on saturday and so far I am very pleased. It seems to be impossible to get any core2duo-equipped machine for that price online, not to speak of brick and mortar. I think it is fair value and if it should by chance be faulty you can return it without any problem I would think...

Prob sums my lazinessup alright! i actually just asked the lads i work with(there computer geeks!) and they reckon its easily fixable so there gona sort it out for me and it should be fine, the reason i didnt bring it back is i dont use the keyboard that much and it works say 75% of the time so its fine and also the guy said if i had any problems at all i had to contact acer directly so just kept as is! tbh apart from that its been fine esp for the price so maybe i was a little hasty in not recommending it!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carparkcruiser

the acer are a terrable machine for having loose screws! i have 2 in my home the 17 inch one, and the 15'4 inch one both bought from tesco last november in the 50% off sale.

Since buying them the 17 inch developed a hard ware fault! the part on the laptop itself where the power cord connects to the laptop became loose!! when i discovered it was loose i mad ethe stupid mistake of removing the cord to inspect in furture then i tried connecting the cord again and then it broke! I rang the good old Acer Customer support and they said there will be a charge of 80€ for an engineer to look and to give it an estimate cost price for repairs!

I asked where is the 12 manufactor warrenty for the bad laptop build and they said NOTHING and I got cut off! I have phoned up after 3 times to have the repeat conversation.

The 15inch common size laptop is ok to date apart from the LOOSE screws! next time i think i will buy a Dell / Samsung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

the acer are a terrable machine for having loose screws! i have 2 in my home the 17 inch one, and the 15'4 inch one both bought from tesco last november in the 50% off sale.

Since buying them the 17 inch developed a hard ware fault! the part on the laptop itself where the power cord connects to the laptop became loose!! when i discovered it was loose i mad ethe stupid mistake of removing the cord to inspect in furture then i tried connecting the cord again and then it broke! I rang the good old Acer Customer support and they said there will be a charge of 80€ for an engineer to look and to give it an estimate cost price for repairs!

I asked where is the 12 manufactor warrenty for the bad laptop build and they said NOTHING and I got cut off! I have phoned up after 3 times to have the repeat conversation.

The 15inch common size laptop is ok to date apart from the LOOSE screws! next time i think i will buy a Dell / Samsung

This might be useful info for Acer users - maybe they could tighten those screws before they become a problem.

What is the location of the screws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carparkcruiser

the screws beneeth the laptop, tighten them all. and check again every few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭xtremepoizn

Hi all, I got the Acer 2920 for 399 last week. I have a problem with the speakers. The right one doesnt work and the left one is buzzing. I tried changine the drivers etc and can't fix it so I am now sure it is a hardware problem. I went to tesco to tell them and return it and they said they can't take it back to contact Acer. I went back just 2 days after buying the laptop. Acer doesnt care about this problem. Strange but everytime I tell my problem the line *drops* or is silent. Tesco say their policy has changed and I can't change it but contact acer! what am I supposed to do about this!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Hi all, I got the Acer 2920 for 399 last week. I have a problem with the speakers. The right one doesnt work and the left one is buzzing. I tried changine the drivers etc and can't fix it so I am now sure it is a hardware problem. I went to tesco to tell them and return it and they said they can't take it back to contact Acer. I went back just 2 days after buying the laptop. Acer doesnt care about this problem. Strange but everytime I tell my problem the line *drops* or is silent. Tesco say their policy has changed and I can't change it but contact acer! what am I supposed to do about this!?

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Tesco in selling stuff for half price even though the original price was bull**** shocker.

http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=63728&source=froogle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭xtremepoizn

The manager was so rude it was unbelievable "contact acer, contact acer, not our policy" I asked them to at least show me the policy and he tells me contact the tesco head office :eek:

I don't expect people on here to believe me as I too wouldn't have believed it if anyone had to post on here about tesco and things like this. I have been buying electronics from tesco for years when they had these promotions - XBox half price, LCD TV for 399 etc. I was shocked when I went back with the laptop! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

The manager was so rude it was unbelievable "contact acer, contact acer, not our policy" I asked them to at least show me the policy and he tells me contact the tesco head office :eek:

I don't expect people on here to believe me as I too wouldn't have believed it if anyone had to post on here about tesco and things like this. I have been buying electronics from tesco for years when they had these promotions - XBox half price, LCD TV for 399 etc. I was shocked when I went back with the laptop! :mad:

your best bet is to keep trying acer support get them to verify there is a hardware fault , you will have to troubleshoot over the phone, if they offer to repair refuse and look for refund they should give you a reference number you can take to tesco for replacement or refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

My advice would be to return to Tesco with the item and be firm. They cannot make policies that change your statutory rights. Tell them they sold you a product that is not fit for purpose. Tell them you want them to resolve the issue. Do not be fobbed off with "contact the manufacturer". The obligation is with them.

If they refuse then write to Tesco head office outlining your problem and advise them that you will now pursue your claim through the Small Claims Court. Would be advisable to note dates, times, names etc. and the various approaches and responses.

Advertisement