Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Computers

Options
  • 21-07-2006 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Got offer through door yesterday- not sure if its any use but said i would post it up. (this is all the specs it gives)

IQON Power PC-
    17" TFT Monitor, AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    XP Home,Philips DVD-RW,1024Mb RAM,160GB HD,Card Reader,128Mb ATI Radeon Xpress Integrated Graphics,Philips Stereo Speakers,Philips Keyboard/Mouse,56K MOdem,MS Works 8.5, Lexmark X2470 3 in 1 Printer.
    €799

IQON Family PC-
    15.4" TFT Monitor,AMD Semperon 2800+
    XP Home,Philips DVD-RW,512Mb RAM,160GB WD HD,Card Reader,64Mb Integrated Graphics,Stereo Speakers,Keyboard/Mouse,56K Modem,MS Works 8.5, Lexmark X2470 3 in 1 Printer.
    €599

IQON Family Laptop-
    Celeron M370,256Mb RAM,XP Home,40Gb HD,802.11 B/G Wireless Card,15.4 Widescreen Display,4 USB,DVD-RW Combo,56K Modem,MS Works 8.5
    €599

IQON Power Laptop-
    Celeron M370,512Mb RAM,XP Home,40Gb HD,802.11 B/G Wireless Card,4 USB,DVD-RW Combo,56K Modem,MS Works 8.5, Lexmark X2470 3 in 1 Printer, Carry case, Mini Optical Mouse.
    €799

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

How longs the offer last for? I like the look of the power pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Alter-Ego wrote:
    How longs the offer last for? I like the look of the power pc.

Yeah the power pc looks the best out of all of them. Definetly worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

iQon are sh!t

their motherboards are made out of paper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

abetarrush wrote:
    iQon are sh!t

I have to agree, I know a lot of people that have purchased iQon pc's in the past and alot of the time I've ended up having to fix them. Thank god they have now moved on and got other brands of PC cause i'm sick to death with seeing and fixing iQon ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

hellboy99 wrote:
    I have to agree, I know a lot of people that have purchased iQon pc's in the past and alot of the time I've ended up having to fix them. Thank god they have now moved on and got other brands of PC cause i'm sick to death with seeing and fixing iQon ones.
    Tell me about it. Still the more that are sold the more I make fixing them.
    Also came across this on the ASAI website (May 05).
    http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20051102145950

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 x w62CE t4<D@C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

They've been in my local Tesco (Mahon Point, Cork) at those prices for months.

me too in rathfarnham. originally 899 reduced to 799 about 6 months ago - nothing new here.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Still the more that are sold the more I make fixing them.
    Also came across this on the ASAI website (May 05).
    http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20051102145950

That maybe true but at this stage i'm just sick of seeing them, it's the people that don't know a lot about PC's i feel sorry for, the moms & dads that shop in Tesco's coming up to Xmas with the kids at them looking for a PC. I know guys that work for iQon and they would never buy one no matter how cheap they would get it for.

If you ask me iQon are overpriced crap, (you'd probably get a better PC from Aldi) if you want a PC either buy a Dell, go to PC World and buy an Advent or better still build your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The power pc one ain't too bad if you throw in a decent card but I'd have to recommend staying away from iQon..
    “Play the latest PC games with Intel 2D/3D extreme graphics”

Intel Extreme Graphics is without a doubt one of the worst integrated solutions ever to hit the market, it could barely play old games that predated its existance by a few years, let alone remotely modern ones, I'd REALLY pity someone who bought a machine with Intel Extreme and thought it was going to be any good.....its strange to actually see the Intel Extreme still in lappys, I thought those days were long gone. Most laptops now have the integrated GMA900 which is pretty crap but 100x times an improvement over the Intel Extreme era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

abetarrush wrote:
    iQon are sh!t

their motherboards are made out of paper

I second that...everything about them is cheap and poor quality. The parts are the cheapest you can find, they are badly put together, their spec tends to be risible, and their their reliability (needless to say) is poor.

I really do not know how this operation is still in business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I'm a law student and the law is quite clear regarding phrases such as this (And has been for a very very long time, 100+ years). If you use a phrase which means a certain thing to a layman and is directed at a layman (such as the advert above), it is to be interpreted in the same light as a layman would be expected to comprehend it, regardless of its connotations to 'experts' in the field, ie, us. Cant think of the latin phrase for this, but it's contract law 101 stuff.....
    Btw, people are allways so suprised when I tell them the laptops, PC's from aldi are very good buys.

Btw, people are allways so suprised when I tell them the laptops, PC's from aldi are very good buys.

I have to agree with you that they are a good buy and certainly a better deal than any PC or laptop from iQon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

My mother has an IQon, by the specs above it is the power PC spec. It is routinely overheating especially if she tries to play any game her gfx card will support. Just reboots after 10-20 mins of 3D graphics being on the screen.

Jaggeh had a look at it and just said would be better off just getting a new machine.

btw, if any of those laptops have a SMG (Shared Memory Graphics) card you can forget about playing any recent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

I got so frustrated trying to fix iQons (dead modems, slow speeds, freezes) as an ISP support tech that I ended up telling one woman in particular that they were just rubbish machines and she'd probably be better skipping a new modem and just going for a new computer altogether. Obviously not what a customer wants to hear but hell at least it's honest.

It is what it's.

Mine is just a piece o shxt

cant believe we paid 1,000 for it, although it was top specs 3 years ago

At the moment its just contantly shuttin down, and I cant add any new hardware

If i put in a CD/DVD or connect a cable, its shuts down

Hafta go into safe mode to do this

So, fook it, im done with iQunt and Windows, Im gettin a Macbook

I sent the comp back 4 times for a Motherboars replacement, and all i go was a new HD. I know for a fact they didnt change it cos the BIOS settins were the same [not the default of a new board]

death to iQon and such!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

abetarrush wrote:
    Mine is just a piece o shxt

cant believe we paid 1,000 for it, although it was top specs 3 years ago

At the moment its just contantly shuttin down, and I cant add any new hardware

If i put in a CD/DVD or connect a cable, its shuts down

Hafta go into safe mode to do this

So, fook it, im done with iQunt and Windows, Im gettin a Macbook

I sent the comp back 4 times for a Motherboars replacement, and all i go was a new HD. I know for a fact they didnt change it cos the BIOS settins were the same [not the default of a new board]

death to iQon and such!
    My consumer rights are a little fuzzy, but if you had to send it back that many times, surely you're entitled to a full refund. No?

Nope, only Replacement, Repair or Refund, and the Manufacturers get to choose which one

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

??

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭limbovski

iqons are dong...

mate of mine got a laptop, it went wonky, took them 6 months to fix it, kept going back right up to the factory as i live near it. they didnt have it ready, had to wait for a part, "its coming from hong kong" or something.

piece of SH1TE...

I'd rather a casio calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've never been a fan of Philips. Find them unreliable. And iQon seem to almost be a Philips PC in all but name they use so many Philips components.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Do yourselves a favour. Do a A+ course and find out about computers before buying one. When you do buy one, don't buy it in the supermarket but off somewhere thats recomended. Don't play games on a machine thats not designed for games.

Its not even a cheap deal. Dell have been advertising this one on the TV lately.

Dimension 5150 (Has a PCI-E x16 slot AFAIK).
    Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2x1MB cache)
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    512MB DDR2 RAM
    16x DVD+/-RW Drive
    19" Analogue Flat Panel Monitor
    160GB SATA Hard Drive (7,200rpm)

Obviously you can get a better machine, but for an off the shelf machine its a fair comparision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 robert9

There's not really such a thing as a bargain in the world of pcs you literally get what you pay for, it's true that some printed circuit baords are made out of paper, the better quality ones are made out of glass fibre and the difference is huge. Decide how much you want to spend and shop around for the best available spec for that price among the better brands. Even watch out for last year's model (that's what I did) Also don't over look getting a pc built for you it's a realistic option depending on what you want. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Dell are a fine brand, theres thousands of companies using their boxes because their cheap.

What gets me is why someone would buy some crazy assed latest and greatest machine when all they do is type up the odd CV and browse the web. To make things worse they get a Scanner and Printer which they never use, even a DVD writer, i mean the majority of people are going to know how to encode raw avi into mpeg to and then author it to DVD (Although is process is REALLY simplified on a Mac to be fair)

Is it a status thing or what .. i really don't get it, I mean, I have a Mac Mini (PowerPC) and a iBook G3 Tangerine 266mhz with 192 mb of RAM, i use X11 forwarding to run everything off the mac mini and its perfect!

I think people should be just buying what they need as theres no such thing as future proofing yourself when it comes to computers, Moores law prohibits it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its something you wouldn't know about, using a Mac, they are called the latest games....:D

Sorry...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

I did tech support soley for laptops for two years. The one or two Iqons I came across were among the poorest examples of laptops and overpriced. For decent entry level systems I would look towards Acer and Dell.

The major complaint I have about Dell is that the factory software builds are cack, especially on the lower end machines. They bundle loads of rubbish software that eats up memory on the lower end machines. Most of them are con expire in 6 months jobbies or nag you to upgrade to the 'standard' or 'pro' versions.

Dells work sooooooo much better with a clean install of windows and only the necessary drivers and software. Get a mate that 'knows about computers' to do this for you.

Dell tech support is an interesting one too though: excellent if you know what your talking about, incredibly frustrating for those who don't. If you do have a problem, best get your 'mate who knows about computers' to ring up.

I've found Dell to be much faster in repair/replacement in comparison to HP/Compaqs bought through the local suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I must have gotten the top of the pile in recent times!

Last time I bought iQons they had decent quality RAM, MSI motherboard, WD HD's and AGP. Grand for the price and use generic parts unlike some other models by other vendors. My only gripe was that they were a little on the loud side IMO.

The laptops that they rebadge however, thats a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 car03

Hobbes wrote:
    My mother has an IQon, by the specs above it is the power PC spec. It is routinely overheating especially if she tries to play any game her gfx card will support. Just reboots after 10-20 mins of 3D graphics being on the screen.

Your mother plays games??? Interesting ........ :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 car03

Do yourselves a favour. Do a A+ course and find out about computers before buying one. When you do buy one, don't buy it in the supermarket but off somewhere thats recomended. Don't play games on a machine thats not designed for games.

Its not even a cheap deal. Dell have been advertising this one on the TV lately.

Dimension 5150 (Has a PCI-E x16 slot AFAIK).
    Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2x1MB cache)
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    512MB DDR2 RAM
    16x DVD+/-RW Drive
    19" Analogue Flat Panel Monitor
    160GB SATA Hard Drive (7,200rpm)

Obviously you can get a better machine, but for an off the shelf machine its a fair comparision.

usually dell advertise such prices & when you go online to buy it the price rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

@car03,
    nope, thats the price dell will have it at, just reduce the waranty to 3 months.. and ou get the advertised price.

Often i find the online offer from dell will be slighty better than advertised, with a small unadvertised upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

car03 wrote:
    usually dell advertise such prices & when you go online to buy it the price rockets

Actually I've found the reverse. I ordered a Dell laptop some time back and didn't have my credit card sorted out to buy it yet. When I came back they had knocked a bit off it, when I came back again they threw in free delivery.

So impulse buying at Dell tends to be expensive.
    Your mother plays games??? Interesting

Yea adventure type games (Pychonaughts + Dreamfall being two recent). Most of the recent ones require a good graphics card. *shrug* Whys it such a big deal?

Advertisement