Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

The Cush wrote: »
    Your initial post was about (local) authorities* trying to ban aerials, which was incorrect as they enforce the general planning laws which allows roof aerials.

Privately* managed housing estates (like privately* managed apartment blocks) of course may impose certain restrictions on tenants/residents like the banning of aerial/dishes.

(*Property Management Companies are not the authorities. The authorities are the local County, City and Urban District Councils who enforce the general planning laws.)

You have misunderstood my reference to "authorities" which I did not state were local ,they are in the first instance whoever you have your lease from be it corporation, local council,private management company ,private individual etc.

Most but not all of these leases have a clause regarding the fitting of dishes or aerials which overides the existing general planning laws in this regard.

Also it can take up to 10-15 years for a local council to take charge of a housing complex so the initial agreement is binding until it expires.

A trip to your solicitor may be necessary to clarify the situation in your area.

One of the objectives of DVB-T was that it could be received by a indoor aerial hence the strong signal that is available in the trial.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

davehey79 wrote: »
    right here goes bare withe me. have a Samsung T200HD with a Viaccess CAM Card in the CI Slot. Just pluged in the cheapest of the cheap ariel no luck so took off the crappy metal part and put in in 2 seperate coat hangersin the slots!!! im gettin a perfect reception picture wise with intermitent interference when i move round the room. Signal strength at 50ish but im in a room surrounded by wifi enabled items and in a concrete house so i think its quite good considering my setup at present. will get an indoor ariel with signal boost/gain on it and re-test. Oh by the way im receiving from Cairn Hill Longford and im in the town centre in an estate. ive attached a few pics.

forgot to add pickin up 9 channels. 1 is a test signal. 4 tv stations & 4 radio channels

i just bought one of those tv's. where can i get those cam cards

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

i just bought one of those tv's. where can i get those cam cards

The TV's from the samsung T2xxHD range have already an mpeg4 decoder on board and you don't need a additional cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

maxg wrote: »
    The TV's from the samsung T2xxHD range have already an mpeg4 decoder on board and you don't need a additional cam.

I have a T200HD and it doesnt have MPEG4 it has MPEG2 decoder onboard.
    Got the card from this guy on ebay

It looks like only newer ones got a mpeg4 decoder.
    If you got one from the first series its mpeg2 only.

• Advertisement

He seems quite genuine as he will take it back within 14 days less P&P if it does not work with your tv so not a great risk.:cool:

maxg wrote: »
    i don't think i do. i've got the channels with great sound no picture though. it keeps saying HD NOT SUPPORTED

yep. i bought it in tesco's at the weekend

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

yep. i bought it in tesco's at the weekend

Whats the exact model?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Whats the exact model?

the syncmaster T200HD

• Advertisement

the syncmaster T200HD

Really nice monitor. The monitor is compatible with MPEG4 signals (@ 5ms instead of the native 2ms). The tuner however is advertised as a 'Freeview tuner' (however some of the French websites state its TNT compatible- which would indicate MPEG4......) From my reading of the (limited) tech specs I can find online- it should in fact work.

What signal strength are you registering? You will pull sound but not picture- if the signal isn't strong enough to support the bitrate necessary for pictures (as often happens with bad atmospherics).

Sorry I can't help.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Really nice monitor. The monitor is compatible with MPEG4 signals (@ 5ms instead of the native 2ms). The tuner however is advertised as a 'Freeview tuner' (however some of the French websites state its TNT compatible- which would indicate MPEG4......) From my reading of the (limited) tech specs I can find online- it should in fact work.

What signal strength are you registering? You will pull sound but not picture- if the signal isn't strong enough to support the bitrate necessary for pictures (as often happens with bad atmospherics).

Sorry I can't help.

no you were very helpful. thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi guys ,

Has anyone else lost their DTT channels from Three Rock ?
    I realise this is a trial and service can be intermittent :-)

I don't want to rescan on my lzd81 ..

Cheers,

Bob

i don't think i do. i've got the channels with great sound no picture though. it keeps saying HD NOT SUPPORTED

It looks like model number LS20TDDSUV/EN is mpeg2 only and model number LS20TDVSUV/EN is mpeg4. Both are sold under the name T200HD.

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi guys ,

Has anyone else lost their DTT channels from Three Rock ?
    I realise this is a trial and service can be intermittent :-)

I don't want to rescan on my lzd81 ..

Cheers,

Bob

Totally dead- all channels, TV and Radio, off air. A rescan on a Sony W Series has the message "No Services Found"....... Mux seems to have been turned off...... Thank god I've got a Freesat box......

Maybe setting up new muxs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Not near a telly at the moment. Is Three Rock the only transmitter down or are all transmitters now offline as far as digital broadcasts go?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I lost Three Rock and noticed last night. I did a rescan and picked up channels from 794MHz on a strong 92% signal, however these channels have now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 904473

I lost my signal from Three Rock yesterday. I was replaced with a black screen and a symbol denoting a HD broadcast. It also remarked "no channel available."

However, I rescanned and got my channels back, but alas, it was only for a few minutes and then the black screen returned.

Sounds like they're testing muxes...... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

yes, Kippure channels 58 and 64 are running tests at the moment, have been all day. No active services on them when I last checked. Maybe the SFN is about to test again.

Great timing with the match yesterday. I think there must be an abu working in the test centre.

yellabelly wrote: »
    I lost Three Rock and noticed last night. I did a rescan and picked up channels from 794MHz on a strong 92% signal, however these channels have now gone.

Kippure is still running the TV Channels on channel 61 - it's odd you can't get them, unless it was Three Rock active on 61 too - may explain the very erractic reception I've been having from Kippure if they are testing the SFN on that channel....

3 Rock online- with incredibly low signal strength? Impossible to get a signal lock? I've tried an amplifier- got a stuttering DTT signal- gave up. Analogue is pretty poxy too- perhaps its really bad atmospherics?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrick whitty

mount leinster back this morning
    patrick

794MHz has been steady for a few days with 92% signal on my ClarkTech receiver. I'm not sure if that is coming from 3 Rock or Kippure since they are both in roughly the same direction from here in South Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

The DTT testing on Ch45 in Spur Hill, Cork just went offair. Mullaghanish DTT testing on Ch21 still operational though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Spur Hill DTT testing on Ch45 back online again, it was a short outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I can't get anything from Clermont in Armagh, anyone else in the North able to receive any digital signal from Clermont? I haven't been able to get it for a few weeks now. Are they testing new signal nullers to the North? :( Analogue picture is perfect, so no digital is a concern... :( Unless they have changed more settings so my Sony TV can't pick it up just like the Panasonics.

• Advertisement

Paddy, Kippure dropped in power towards the North East a few weeks back too, it was stronger with me here in Portaferry than DTT from Divis for over 5 weeks, then suddenly dropped from a steady 72% strength 100% quality to 43% and 50%, then dropped lower still, my analogue UHF from Kippure has also been very poor for the last few weeks, even with the recent "lift condiditions", while Three Rock has been coming in loud and clear, Kippure has been weak. I guess it could have been nulled, which is a shame as it was a great signal, but it may just be a drop in power as part of the tests, only RTENL have the answer !
    (Channels 58 and 64 are active again on Kippure)

Advertisement