Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

amd64 wrote: »
    I have 42LG3000 and was given a Viaccess NP4 cam,the LG tv only had
    mpeg 2 but with cam I'm now getting picture and sound on TV3 and TG4 but only sound on the 2 rte channels from Mt.Leinster.Anyone any ideas
    whats causing this

If you're getting picture on TV3 and TG4- I'd check the signal strength- I often get picture for RTE2 and TV3 from 3Rock- but only sound from RTE1 and TG4- but if play around with the antenna often the minor difference in signal strength is sufficient to resurrect the missing channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Geemac

I have been using the Neotion CAM in a Sony TV since the Mpeg4 testing began. At the beginning all 4 channels decoded, but in the last few months only TV3 & TG4 are viewable. There seems to be a flag set on RTE1 & RTE2 which is preventing a picture being displayed. The flag is not on TV3 or TG4. Signal level here is 100% and on a Sony KDLW4000 which is Mpeg4 compatible ther is a rock solid picture all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stenasc

Hi,

Been following the thread with great interest. I checked the Mpeg4 CAM compatability listed posted earlier, but my model of TV was not on it. Can anyone tell me if the Philips 47pfl7642d TV supports the Conax CAM. When I look through the access menu, the pocket CAM details are listed, but so far I cannot pick up any radio or TV stations.

Cheers
    Mick

stenasc wrote: »
    Hi,

Been following the thread with great interest. I checked the Mpeg4 CAM compatability listed posted earlier, but my model of TV was not on it. Can anyone tell me if the Philips 47pfl7642d TV supports the Conax CAM. When I look through the access menu, the pocket CAM details are listed, but so far I cannot pick up any radio or TV stations.

Cheers
    Mick

If you can't pick up anything at all- its probably an antenna/reception problem- as you should be able to pull in the radio stations with the onboard MPEG2 decoder, along with sound on the video signals. What is your analogue reception like- and what part of the country are you in?

smccarrick wrote: »
    If you can't pick up anything at all- its probably an antenna/reception problem- as you should be able to pull in the radio stations with the onboard MPEG2 decoder, along with sound on the video signals. What is your analogue reception like- and what part of the country are you in?

Hi,

Living in South Derry...I now get all the UK freeview channels. I used to get all Irish TV and radio channels, during the MPEG2 trial. Now that RTE etc are broadcast using MPEG4, I could not pick them up. That's when I purchased the Conax Mpeg4 (Neotion) pocket CAM. Still cannot pick up anything, either TV or Radio. Have high gain aerial pointing to Dundalk. RTE/TV3 analog reception is OK (not brilliant). On Mpeg2, it used to be very good.

Regards
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 amd64

Getting 80% signal from mount leinster but still not getting picture on rte1&2 with viaccess cam,think now it is a compatability problem cos
    sometimes the picture will display underneath TV menu but when I clear menu from screen the picture goes,but strangely I get TV3 and TG4

stenasc wrote: »
    Hi,

Living in South Derry...I now get all the UK freeview channels. I used to get all Irish TV and radio channels, during the MPEG2 trial. Now that RTE etc are broadcast using MPEG4, I could not pick them up. That's when I purchased the Conax Mpeg4 (Neotion) pocket CAM. Still cannot pick up anything, either TV or Radio. Have high gain aerial pointing to Dundalk. RTE/TV3 analog reception is OK (not brilliant). On Mpeg2, it used to be very good.

Regards
    Mick

I'd say it's the 64QAM change rather than MPEG-4 that's made the difference now.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'd say it's the 64QAM change rather than MPEG-4 that's made the difference now.

Ok...I think what you're basically saying is that it is a signal strength issue. QAM16 probly would be better, but you wouldn't get the high data rates as with QAM64. Guess, I'll have to move to Louth.

Regards
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

No text on RTE 1/2 for the last couple of days despite the MHEG Digital Text indicator still showing on both these channels. (TV is a Sony 32W4000).

Edit: back again this evening (3 Feb).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My first step into the world of Irish DTT:D

Got an mvision HD200 combo there yesterday, and I'm very impressed by the DTT trials from Spur Hill. Getting around 80% signal via a high gain UHF on the roof(It needed to be on the roof because i'm about 15 miles from spur hill and there are a few hills in between). The irish channels look as good as sky, i'm pleased to say too. Way better than i expected on a 40" 1080p set(But then again the stb is upscaling to 1080i). Text seems to be working as well btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 odonnghaille

Well Done Zonda, googled that box you mentioned seems very reasonable around e210.

Im trying to get dtt working through my PC, Did anyone have success through that route :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 odonnghaille

Satfinder wrote: »
    Transmitter: | Three Rock
    Receiver Location: |Meath
    Aerial used: |Loft Aerial - High-gain Yagi (probably way OTT)
    Receiver Model: |PC with XP SP3
    Tuner Card: |PCI HVR-4000
    PVR Software: |Mediaportal (freeware) - version 1.0.0 RC2 (with TV-Server)

EPG: |None but see below
    Teletext: |None but didn't try
    Radio Stations rxed: |didn't try but do you care?
    TV Channels rxed: |All four SIMULTANEOUSLY

Notes:
    1) Used XMLTV with radio_times_uk grabber to pull in EPG from web so haven't tried to pull in DVB EPG recently. Couldn't last week, but I hear RTE have since started TXing an EPG.

2) Mediaportal will pull in ALL stations on a multiplex simultaneously so in principle you could record all four at once whilst watching one of them. Impressive.

3) I CAN record all four at once, but CANNOT watch them live. This may be due to a conflict between my codec suite and Mediaportal - your mileage may differ. I'll update you on this if I sort it out, unless someone beats me to it in getting full MediaPortal functionality in processing the RTE streams.

4) I recorded programmes as Transport Stream (.ts) files. These could be played back (with the latest version of the freeware ffdshow codec installed) in Windows Media Player (v9, v11), Media Player Classic (v6.4.9.0), and (only if renamed to foo.mpg) Winamp 5.41. They could NOT be played back in VLC or (surprisingly) Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra. I think the latter two bypass the DirectShow filter chain and config their own codecs.

5) As far as I can tell, the following PVR software does NOT pull in the video signal correctly:
    Cyberlink PowerCinema, GBPVR, DVBviewer, WinTV.
    The first three CAN pull in BBC HD via satellite.

Caveat: Because of the wonderful way Microsoft's DirectShow architecture works, whether any video source will display in a given application depends on what codecs you have installed and their assigned merit values in the Windows Registry. So what worked for me may not for you, and v.v.

Apology: I know the first post on this thread says it's not for PC-related posts but I've no home to go to...

Glad I found this here..
    Whats your screen name on media portal, I could use your help thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Red Giant

Getting perfect mpeg4 reception here in Glasnevin only since yesterday on a techomate combo - we're in a bit of a dip - Tolka valley - must have been the signal strength.

Red Giant wrote: »
    Getting perfect mpeg4 reception here in Glasnevin only since yesterday on a techomate combo - we're in a bit of a dip - Tolka valley - must have been the signal strength.

Yesterday was atmospherics tbh.....
    I had 100% signal strength here- I've never ever had that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Zonda999 wrote: »
    ... I'm very impressed by the DTT trials from Spur Hill...

Hello, I'm another Spur Hill receiver. I have a 40W4000, to which I connected a loft aerial from Argos. I wasn't sure whether it would work, but I was amazed to find it report 100% signal. I don't know whether this is strength or quality, but I have perfect image and no breakup. I must add that before I tuned the DTT, I tuned analogue, and was very disappointed at the picture. Watchable but barely, so I was not expecting to get the DTT at all. I thought I would need an external aerial. Speaking of which the aerial I got was external/loft... but really I could not see it's fragile structure standing up to any strong wind.

For those in Cork I am near Douglas, about 7 miles from Spur Hill. I have the EPG, 4 TV channels and 4 radio.

After such TV success I went to my PC upstairs and connected an AverMedia USB stick, connected to a variety of mini aerials. On the standard UHF loop aerial I was able to tune in here also. It reports 90+% quality, but here I do see occasional breakup, so I know my signal strength must be low. However this is still impressive considering it is on the opposite site of the house from the Spur Hill mast.

I have some issues with the recorded stream and what video editors might be able to open it (avidemux or virtualdub cannot properly do it) but I guess this is not the right forum?

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dara1979

I got the Viaccess NP4 for my Sony 32L4000. it does let me see the picture but there is not a sound out of the television. Could there be something wrong with the DVB tuner or is it that the signal is too weak? Surely if it was too weak, it would come on and off???

Any ideas?!

Thanks,
    Dara

If the signal were weak you'd lose the picture before losing the sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

ixtlan wrote: »
    I have some issues with the recorded stream and what video editors might be able to open it (avidemux or virtualdub cannot properly do it) but I guess this is not the right forum?

Ix

Do the avermedia cards still only record mpeg2 streams as opposed to the whole transpoot ts stream ?

What format is the recorded file ?

Just to play

VLC plays almost anything
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

To Convert

Handy simple free Converter

Quickmedia converter
    Dara1979 wrote: »
    I got the Viaccess NP4 for my Sony 32L4000. it does let me see the picture but there is not a sound out of the television. Could there be something wrong with the DVB tuner or is it that the signal is too weak? Surely if it was too weak, it would come on and off???

Any ideas?!
    Thanks,

Dara

Dara, That sony is not on the Neotion list of comptiable TVs with the CAM. So thats not a good start. That its actually transcoding and showing the picture is a good sign though. Reattach, fiddle about with, go through menu, change country etc check radio channels just in case it recategorised it as a radio channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

STB wrote: »
    Do the avermedia cards still only record mpeg2 streams as opposed to the whole transpoot ts stream ?

What format is the recorded file ?

Just to play

VLC plays almost anything
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

To Convert

Handy simple free Converter

Quickmedia converter

Don't want to de-rail this thread... but to quickly answer. Avermedia will record the stream to .mp4 It is a h264 /aac file and I assume the raw unconverted stream. GB-PVR records it to a .ts, same codecs.

Avermedia cannot properly play back it's own recordings. There is stutter. VLC was crashing, but after I updated to the latest, it can now play. Using VLC to convert was not really successful, very blocky.

gb-pvr cannot display TV... but it can record. Yes, I know this is a codec issue, but I have ffdshow installed, and it should work.

Windows media centre under Vista cannot tune in the DTT channels at all.

avidemux at V 2.4.4 cannot properly open these files. The issue seems to be that h264 interlaced is not handled well. alpha 2.5 does much better but crashed quite a lot for me. I expect this will get better.

Thanks for the QMC converter link. I have not tried this before.

Maybe a thread about this might be useful? I know it really should be in another forum, but this is the one with the people who are receiving DTT.

Ix

• Registered Users Posts: 43 amd64

I have 42LG3000 and was given a Viaccess NP4 cam,the LG tv only had
    mpeg 2 but with cam I'm now getting picture and sound on TV3 and TG4 but only sound on the 2 rte channels from Mt.Leinster.Anyone any ideas
    whats causing this
    Just an update on this problem
    A couple of weeks ago RTE 1+2 were been broadcast without the teletext
    and I could recieve the picture on both channels but when the teletext came back I lost picture on the 2 rte channels again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

Just an update on this problem
    A couple of weeks ago RTE 1+2 were been broadcast without the teletext
    and I could recieve the picture on both channels but when the teletext came back I lost picture on the 2 rte channels again

Try a fresh scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Cairn Hill DTT now on air. Covering the Midlands!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Has anyone used one of these cams to convert mpeg2 to 4 succesfully and if so in what TV or STB.;)

John Dough wrote: »
    Has anyone used one of these cams to convert mpeg2 to 4 succesfully and if so in what TV or STB.;)

It actually works the other way around- it converts an MPEG4 signal to MPEG2.
    Works fine in S and W series Sony units.
    There is another thread here specifically listing people's experiences with different models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Any one else notice that the EPG info is not working on Sony W4000 series again (MT Leinster for me)?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 904473

I got a philips 42PFL9803 (mpeg4) TV earlier this year. It is a truly terrific TV. last night however, i discovered that there was no epg information on the digital transmissions. Up till now everything was very good. I receive signals from three Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Originally posted by slegs: Any one else notice that the EPG info is not working on Sony W4000 series again (MT Leinster for me)?

Yip. Gone too on mine too since Thursday evening (Clermont Carn).

EDIT (3 March): Still no EPG info available, but rescanned RTE Radio 1 and RTE 2FM. MHEG text now available on Radio 1, with some sort of banner automatically appearing on 2FM. It just appears when you select 2FM. (On both a Sony W4000 and V4500).

See "Sony 32W4000 displaying MHEG text on Irish DTT while a 26V4500 is not. Why?" thread, post #12, for picture.

Link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481969

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Hi there,

I only recently bought the above LCD TV but to my disappointment it cannot display the Irish MPEG4 signals.

I have been reading the threads here and there is a lot of interest in these CAM's that are reported to have worked for various makes/models of TV's.

Does anyone know of any compatible CAM's for the Philips 32PFL5403D/10 LCD TV? It would be a shame to have to go out and buy a freeview box to pick up MPEG4 signals when the TV is already picking up all the UK freeview channels from Northern Ireland.

Thanks,

mcquaim

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrick whitty

receiving very good pictures ttd from mt.leinster 34 percent. just an odd freeze. technomate 6900hd.

Zaphod wrote: »
    Seeing as how the MPEG4 trials have now begun in earnest, I thought it might be useful if we had a list of TV models, STB/DVB-T receivers, or MPEG4 CAM combinations which have been confirmed to work with the Irish DTT system.

So if you can view the MPEG4 channels, post your model of TV/STB/CAM here. It would be also useful if you can see any EPG info, stating whether it's just "Now or Next" or extended 7-Day EPG. Thirdly, any MHEG5 interactive services or teletext that can be viewed. For example:

Model: Sony Bravia W4000
    EPG: Only "now and next"
    Teletext: None

If you want to include a screengrab of the epg, all the better. Obviously, it might be sometime before actual EPG data or teletext services are transmitted.

If the thread is to be of any use, please only post confirmed reports - no chat or "can my tv view the channels?" questions. No point in posting reception reports with PCI cards or USB sticks either as these are too dependent on your software setup - there are already a number of existing threads.

If someone has previously posted that your model of tv/stb/cam works, then it is pointless making a duplicate post.

Can we please keep all questions/issues regarding MPEG4 reception, stb/tv availability to this thread.

P.S. Thanks to all who have posted reception reports so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

mcquaim wrote: »
    Hi there,

I only recently bought the above LCD TV but to my disappointment it cannot display the Irish MPEG4 signals.

I have been reading the threads here and there is a lot of interest in these CAM's that are reported to have worked for various makes/models of TV's.

Does anyone know of any compatible CAM's for the Philips 32PFL5403D/10 LCD TV? It would be a shame to have to go out and buy a freeview box to pick up MPEG4 signals when the TV is already picking up all the UK freeview channels from Northern Ireland.

Thanks,

mcquaim

That model phillips has an MPEG2 tuner which is not compatible with Irish DTT

The Phillips model that has the MPEG4 hardware in that range ends in H rather than D and would allow you receive both UK Freeview and Irish DTT obviously.

(incidentally selling them in France for €473 at the moment - http://www.lcd-compare.com/televiseur-PHI32PFL5403H-PHILIPS-32PFL5403H.htm)

A freeview box will not pick up Irish DTT either. No UK products will unless they have an MPEG4 H264 processor.

The Neotion Cam does not work with this TV either......

Advertisement