Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jr.Hero

can dtt be received in maynooth? is the signal strong enough for indoor ariel reception in the aera, what transmitter would be best to receive transmission from?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Its interestsing how all the testing sites seem to have the same changes when they occur?

I'd suspect there's only only one main encoder feeding all of the transmitters. Therefore any changes made will affect all transmitters. Makes sense to do it that way rather than decompressing and re-encoding the signal upon rebroadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Jr.Hero wrote: »
    can dtt be received in maynooth? is the signal strong enough for indoor ariel reception in the aera, what transmitter would be best to receive transmission from?

I'm between Maynooth & Clane & have been trying to pick these up myself without success on an indoor aerial, but maybe it's best to mount an outdoor group C/D aerial. Both 3 Rock & Kippure in Wicklow seem to cover the area & both are transmitting on the same channel frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

You will need an outdoor aerial in Maynooth/Clane/Prosperous for DTT from Three Rock. Clermot Cairn or Cairn Hill "may" be possible also. Kippure not active yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

slegs wrote: »
    You will need an outdoor aerial in Maynooth/Clane/Prosperous for DTT from Three Rock. Clermot Cairn or Cairn Hill "may" be possible also. Kippure not active yet.

slegs,

Thanks for the info. You seem to have more of an idea of reception in the area than I do. I'm looking to get an outdoor aerial from http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11f.htm#list it's a UNIX 52 C/D/WB aerial. I'm not completely sure this is what I need & would appreciate your advice.

Thanks again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Yes that aerial is suitable for you towards Three Rock or Clermont Cairn. This is a very good aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrick whitty

receiving rte1 rte 2 tv3 and test card on tg4.6900hd combo technamate.
    signal 33% breaking uo at times perfect when 36%. carrick on suir co. tipperary. from mt. leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

shinobi wrote: »
    slegs,

Thanks for the info. You seem to have more of an idea of reception in the area than I do. I'm looking to get an outdoor aerial from http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11f.htm#list it's a UNIX 52 C/D/WB aerial. I'm not completely sure this is what I need & would appreciate your advice.

Thanks again...

Why not buy from an Irish Store;

http://www.saortv.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=10

Im sure Slegs would advise if this aerial is suitable for your requirements...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

EPG info back on my Sony W4000 and V4500 TV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

shinobi wrote: »
    slegs,

Thanks again...

Reception is possible in Main street Maynooth also in Celbridge/Leixlip/Lucan from Three Rock with a quality amplified indoor aerial and anyway they will boost the signal when analogue goes off.

The roof aerials are a eyesore and the authorities are trying to get them banned in all areas (some housing estates are already banned from using them) but if you are outside these estates you may be okay .:)

Best outdoor aerial is the Vision one from those nice people ,the Unix is poor in comparison.
    :)

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    Why not buy from an Irish Store;

http://www.saortv.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=10

Im sure Slegs would advise if this aerial is suitable for your requirements...

Don't buy that its very poor quality.

Mayo Exile wrote: »

Are you still getting TV3 as mine is showing a test card in Kildare.:(

l

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Intermittent test card appeared on TG4 at 21:43 tonight (3 Rock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Test card on TG4 at the moment as well (Clermont Carn). EPG info available on this channel as well as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

John Dough wrote: »
    The roof aerials are a eyesore and the authorities are trying to get them banned in all areas (some housing estates are already banned from using them) but if you are outside these estates you may be okay .:)

What is your source for this? Are satellite dishes also to be banned, especially those mounted on chimneys?
    I've heard of this in managed apartment blocks but not not elsewhere, we all pay our licence fee to receive tv through our aerials and RTE are investing millions rolling DTT by upgrading transmitter sites. The local authorities will not/cannot force people to pay twice (licence + cable sub) to receive the public service channels.
    Don't buy that its very poor quality.

A grouped aerial is a better choice in this country, the analogue and digital channels from the main transmitters (except Mt Leinster) will be in the same group.
    The CAI standard and http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ are good places to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gfinn

Mayo Exile wrote: »

Likewise on my W4500. Woodcock hill also has testcard for TG4 but EPG info is transmitted for all 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gfinn

Is anybody getting signal from Woodcock Hill (or anywhere else) at the moment? Looks like it stopped at about 19:30....

can anybody tell me if the signal from mt.leinster is v. or h. as i have both aerials and would like to know which one i am receiving it on. i have e-mailed boxer several times but no reply.
    patrick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

can anybody tell me if the signal from mt.leinster is v. or h. as i have both aerials and would like to know which one i am receiving it on. i have e-mailed boxer several times but no reply.
    patrick.

Good reason for the lack of reply- transmissions are by RTE Networks, not Boxer. E-Mail RTEN and you may get a better response.

There was a pdf of transmission sites and the polarity of transmissions floating around this forum a while back- I'll see if I can dig it out.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

patrick.

Mt Leinster is horizontal

Edit - Here's a handy leaflet,for analogue but DTT is the same pol.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

thank you all very much. saves me getting up on roof and disconnecting one aerial.
    patrick

Patrick
    As smccarrick said above RTÉNL are responsible for the radio and tv transmission, go to their DTT page here.
    They have recently published a brochure relating to the reception of DTT, aerials, frequencies etc. I have attached the document below.

i have done that.
    thank you
    patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

right here goes bare withe me. have a Samsung T200HD with a Viaccess CAM Card in the CI Slot. Just pluged in the cheapest of the cheap ariel no luck so took off the crappy metal part and put in in 2 seperate coat hangersin the slots!!! im gettin a perfect reception picture wise with intermitent interference when i move round the room. Signal strength at 50ish but im in a room surrounded by wifi enabled items and in a concrete house so i think its quite good considering my setup at present. will get an indoor ariel with signal boost/gain on it and re-test. Oh by the way im receiving from Cairn Hill Longford and im in the town centre in an estate. ive attached a few pics.

forgot to add pickin up 9 channels. 1 is a test signal. 4 tv stations & 4 radio channels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Im using a Sony Bravia tv (KDL32V5500U-SONY 32" LCD 1080P), with loft mounted aerial, recieving from Cairn Hill.
    Analog has been brutal since the DTT trials started on the transmitter, wasn't expecting much from DTT, but it's perfect with no breakup etc. I might get a power booster for Analog and to help make sure signal is strong enuf for the 4 rooms yet to be DTT enabled, but very impressed so far

The Cush wrote: »
    What is your source for this? Are satellite dishes also to be banned, especially those mounted on chimneys?
    I've heard of this in managed apartment blocks but not not elsewhere, we all pay our licence fee to receive tv through our aerials and RTE are investing millions rolling DTT by upgrading transmitter sites. The local authorities will not/cannot force people to pay twice (licence + cable sub) to receive the public service channels.

If you check with your local authority and the relevent government department there are regulations governing the siting and size of aerials and dishes on or near your property.In most housing estates since the 70s the lease stipulates that NO aerials are allowed on propertys but strangely this seems mostly to be the case where there is a cable service in place.

In a recent case in south Dublin a resident was forced to remove a 1.5 metre dish which was outside the specified size allowed after a complaint from a member of the public.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

According to the planning permission rules:

A radio or TV aerial on your roof is exempt once it does not exceed 6 metres in height above the roof. A satellite dish up to 1 metre across and below the top of the roof is exempted development only to the rear or side of the house. Only one dish may be erected on a house. A dish to the front needs permission.

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Planning/PlanningPermission/PlanningPermissionFrequentlyAskedQuestions/Answer,1196,en.html

mj

If you check with your local authority and the relevent government department there are regulations governing the siting and size of aerials and dishes on or near your property.In most housing estates since the 70s the lease stipulates that NO aerials are allowed on propertys but strangely this seems mostly to be the case where there is a cable service in place.

In a recent case in south Dublin a resident was forced to remove a 1.5 metre dish which was outside the specified size allowed after a complaint from a member of the public.;)

Putting a satellite dish or any television aerial of reasonable and predetermined size on the roof is exempted development for planning purposes - Class 4 Exempted Development - S.I. No. 600/2001 Planning and Development Regulations, 2001.
    • A TV aerial on the roof so long as it is less than six metres higher than the roof
    • A satellite dish (up to one metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house
    If you are in an apartment, whether you are an owner or a tenant, there would likely be separate legal covenants in your lease about the use of aerials and dishes even if you want to put in on the roof it may be banned. Read your title document or tenancy agreement.

This might be an interesting read re: satellite dishes, in an EU Commission communication in 2001 indicates that the Commission backs peoples right to own a dish, but not necessarily to install it wherever they wish.

See [Quote
    [*]A TV aerial on the roof so long as it is less than six metres higher than the roof
    [*]A satellite dish (up to one metre across the below the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house [/LIST]

This is for general planning laws.

QUOTE:
    If you are in an apartment, whether you are an owner or a tenant, there would likely be separate legal covenants in your lease about the use of aerials and dishes even if you want to put in on the roof it may be banned. Read your title document or tenancy agreement.

Correct but this also applies to housing estates with similar agreements which are becoming the norm now.;):D
    ;)

This might be an interesting read re: satellite dishes, in an EU Commission communication in 2001 indicates that the Commission backs peoples right to own a dish, but not necessarily to install it wherever they wish.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

This is for general planning laws.

Correct but this also applies to housing estates with similar agreements which are becoming the norm now.;):D;)

Your initial post was about (local) authorities* trying to ban aerials, which was incorrect as they enforce the general planning laws which allows roof aerials.

Privately* managed housing estates (like privately* managed apartment blocks) of course may impose certain restrictions on tenants/residents like the banning of aerial/dishes.

(*Property Management Companies are not the authorities. The authorities are the local County, City and Urban District Councils who enforce the general planning laws.)

Advertisement