Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

javaboy wrote: »
    If she can still speak after the thrashing, then your dictionary is too concise.

Note to self: Pick up copy of "Thrashing for Dummies" while buying dictionary. Or if it's an American publication, "Thrashing 101"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is 101 an american saying? I know, in my uni in england, the course codes are done in the format (Course) (Year)0(Semester)

So Architecture, first year, first semester was Architecture 101.
    Third year second semester was Architecture 302, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Blisterman wrote: »
    Is 101 an american saying? I know, in my uni in england, the course codes are done in the format (Course) (Year)0(Semester)

So Architecture, first year, first semester was Architecture 101.
    Third year second semester was Architecture 302, etc.
    I've always wondered where that came from, now my life is that bit more worthwhile. Thank you :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Tupins wrote: »
    I don't think the argument here is which is the 'correct' pronounciation of the word, or any word. As someone said, people from different countries or parts of the same country always have and always will pronounce things differently, hence accents.

I think what annoys people is the fact that up until recent years the Irish had a particular way of pronouncing something (eg chewsday) and now suddenly they are changing it to American pronounciations to sound cool or whatever reason.

This is the annoying thing - it's like we are losing some of our identity!

That was my point. I don't mind / care how Americans pronounce these words. It's their creeping in to use by Irish people that I referred to as annoying me (which I think is (was) the point of the thread, not the words/phrases themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overheal wrote: »
    Yes, Terry. You are correct and I am completely wrong.
    I bow to your awesomeness and will henceforth refer to you as "Captain Awesome".

Last edited by Terry; 08-08-2008 at 17:46.
    you would be a pathetic bastard editing that out of my window of opportunity :rolleyes:

Humor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Typhoon - Hurricane

actually it depends on where the storm forms, the words aren't interchangeable

indough wrote: »

Typhoons: Pacific

Hurricanes: Atlantic

Typhoons: Pacific

Hurricanes: Atlantic

hurricane is atlantic or eastern pacific, typhoon is west pacific

which basically makes hurricanes an american invention :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

indough wrote: »

Well, I'd imagine if the word typhoon was never invented, they'd all be called hurricanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

what i hate is when people say some statement and it sounds like a question.
    i was watching the synchronised diving the other day and the american pair sounded st stupid while getting ready for their dive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

which basically makes hurricanes an american invention :D
    You yanks always trying to take credit.

I think mother nature invented them.

And Mother Nature was coined by the Native "Indian" Americans, and we raped em'. Hence, we now own the term.

And Mother Nature was coined by the Native "Indian" Americans, and we raped em'. Hence, we now own the term.
    No, European's actually did. We sailed over there and kicked ass and clamed the land as our own.

Europe, **** yeah!

Then you idiots had a party with some tea or something...

No, European's actually did. We sailed over there and kicked ass and clamed the land as our own.

Europe, **** yeah!

Then you idiots had a party with some tea or something...

Actually if youre one of the Europeans that did that it actually makes you an American Colonist, and by later transition, the Americans that conquered the wild west - where the injuns made their last refuges from the white man.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

I hate the "lets discuss the pros and the cons" expression.

Especially when I was at a meeting abroad about teaching. The subject of explaining the holocaust to Arabs came. The lecturer pointed out that some Arab teenagers may say that the Jews deserved ethnic cleansing and Hitler had the right idea. As western teachers we were asked "how would we answer back to this?

An American girl (black may I add) put up her hand and said. "We should discuss the pros and cons of ethnic cleansing and the holocaust by writing points on the board and we should look at the economic and social benefits of ethnic cleansing":confused:

The Irish and English teachers just looked at her with jaws dropping to the floor! :eek:

I mean wtf. You could only imagine an American like George Bush coming out with something like that! Not an "African American" surely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Malari wrote: »
    I assume the OP was being ironical? ;)

Yes.

Of course.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Yes.

Of course.

What?

Ironical is another word people assume is an americanism but it isn't. It's just been shortened to ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

hunnybunny wrote: »
    An American girl (black may I add) put up her hand and said. "We should discuss the pros and cons of ethnic cleansing and the holocaust by writing points on the board and we should look at the economic and social benefits of ethnic cleansing":confused:
    And what exactly are the pros and cons of ethnic cleansing? Purely out of professional curiosity, you understand

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Headline on an article in Galway first yesterday- Getting Set For Fall- -- all about autumn winter fashion, when did galway detach itself and head across the atlantic?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Headline on an article in Galway first yesterday- Getting Set For Fall- -- all about autumn winter fashion, when did galway detach itself and head across the atlantic?

I can maybe turn a blind eye to a shop for One Tree Hill wannabes in Dundrum SC advertising that way in their window.

But a newspaper?!

In Galway?!

I nearly lost my breakfast over it!

Well, I'd imagine if the word typhoon was never invented, they'd all be called hurricanes.

what makes you think they were called hurricanes first?

the point is that its incorrect to call a hurricane a typhoon and vice versa, its not an americanism

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

And what exactly are the pros and cons of ethnic cleansing? Purely out of professional curiosity, you understand

Never asked her as we really didn t want to know after that particular statement she made!
    We didn t have a discussion on the pros and cons of ethic cleansing ourselves after she brought it up, believe it or not. :D we didn t really believe there was any need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭angelsfire

Do you idiots not have anything better than to bash us Americans??? You might try getting a life once and quit worrying about us. I didn't see an answer to the person who said that 70% of us are %#^&$@. So until you do you do not have the write to talk down about us constantly. I have lived in Ireland now for 7 years and you also have you own idiosyncrasy's so don't go on about how we say things. Do you really think that the only way to say different sayings is YOUR way??? How absurd. Like you are the bee's a E's of the world. Why don't you look at your own self and your own life before you start bad mouthing other people.:mad:

angelsfire wrote: »
    Like you are the bee's a E's of the world

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

what?

The American way of saying bee's knees? :pac:

angelsfire wrote: »
    Do you idiots not have anything better than to bash us Americans??? You might try getting a life once and quit worrying about us. I didn't see an answer to the person who said that 70% of us are %#^&$@. So until you do you do not have the write to talk down about us constantly. I have lived in Ireland now for 7 years and you also have you own idiosyncrasy's so don't go on about how we say things. Do you really think that the only way to say different sayings is YOUR way??? How absurd. Like you are the bee's a E's of the world. Why don't you look at your own self and your own life before you start bad mouthing other people.:mad:
    I used to be like you: coming into AH, being a keyboard warrior, fighting for America. In time you learn its all one epic pisstake. Now I've moved back to America this summer, and after 8 years am carrying with me an Irish sense of humour: apparently I've offended a lot of people with it, but mostly my Mother :D

I mean of course they know they're all rude racist culchie bastards, but you don't need to make them feel bad about it. geez.

But now for a Tip of the Hat, Wag O' The Finger!

A Tip O' the Hat for... Irish Rail! Almost always on-time, with a reported 98% success rate. With relatively habitable conditions if not just slightly cramping. You do get a table after all.

A Wag of my finger for America's Amtrak. Shame on you you bastards. 20 Minutes late to start, and they keep their cabin temperature below 70 F - which, for those of you in Ireland, its not the best thing to be in sitting down for 7 hours in a short sleeve shirt and shorts doing nothing. Needless to say when you're asked for a blanket they tell you they will gladly offer you one for $10 and its branded with Amtrak advertising on it, and its crap. Then your conductor announces
    Well I have good and bad news folks. The bad news is the septic tanks are full so Im afraid the bathrooms in these cars are out of order.

The good news is, we're still on time!
    True Story. Of course 15 minutes later we came to a dead halt for 45 minutes because of an oncoming train on the same rail that we had to wait to pass us. In all I was 90 minutes late. and its not my first ride on an Amtrak: thats actually the fastest travel time I've had with them.

being a keyboard warrior, fighting for America. In time you learn its all one epic pisstake.

Make love, not war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kiss the Girls

hunnybunny wrote: »
    I hate the "lets discuss the pros and the cons" expression.

Especially when I was at a meeting abroad about teaching. The subject of explaining the holocaust to Arabs came. The lecturer pointed out that some Arab teenagers may say that the Jews deserved ethnic cleansing and Hitler had the right idea. As western teachers we were asked "how would we answer back to this?

The Irish and English teachers just looked at her with jaws dropping to the floor! :eek:

I mean wtf. You could only imagine an American like George Bush coming out with something like that! Not an "African American" surely!

I really hope that this person spoke without thinking. Its hard to believe that anyone, who understands what they are talking about, could say something like this. Black or not.

Advertisement