Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Make love, not war.
    Make War, Then Profit.
    I really hope that this person spoke without thinking. Its hard to believe that anyone, who understands what they are talking about, could say something like this. Black or not.
    "For example, 'ethnic cleansing' - well, um, they will be cleaner... and the holocaust helps jews celebrate their heritage [mistaken for in this case as Hanukkah]"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

angelsfire wrote: »
    Do you idiots not have anything better than to bash us Americans??? You might try getting a life once and quit worrying about us. I didn't see an answer to the person who said that 70% of us are %#^&$@. So until you do you do not have the write to talk down about us constantly. I have lived in Ireland now for 7 years and you also have you own idiosyncrasy's so don't go on about how we say things. Do you really think that the only way to say different sayings is YOUR way??? How absurd. Like you are the bee's a E's of the world. Why don't you look at your own self and your own life before you start bad mouthing other people.:mad:

I advise less red meat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

They call beetroot beets, which is mildly annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

angelsfire wrote: »
    Do you idiots not have anything better than to bash us Americans??? You might try getting a life once and quit worrying about us. I didn't see an answer to the person who said that 70% of us are %#^&$@. So until you do you do not have the write to talk down about us constantly. I have lived in Ireland now for 7 years and you also have you own idiosyncrasy's so don't go on about how we say things. Do you really think that the only way to say different sayings is YOUR way??? How absurd. Like you are the bee's a E's of the world. Why don't you look at your own self and your own life before you start bad mouthing other people.:mad:

Yes we have our idiosyncracies to be sure to be sure but that doesn't mean we're not entitled to poke some light hearted fun at other nations. You're more than welcome to do the same about us. In fact if you read the thread, you would see that a lot of words that people thought were incorrect American bastardizations, were actually shown to be the more correct word.

We have our idiosyncracies, so do Americans. It's all relative. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

They seem to have substituted the word "super" for "very".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

javaboy wrote: »
    In fact if you read the thread, you would see that a lot of words that people thought were incorrect American bastardizations, were actually shown to be the more correct word.

We have our idiosyncracies, so do Americans. It's all relative. ;)

Are you still harping on about that hoovers thing, javaboy?? If so, you're a big pedantic nerd and you've missed the point of the thread :p
    OP wrote:
    "Season" being one - in reference to a television "series"

"Mom" instead of the good old Irish "Ma"

"Shag" instead of our lovely "ride" phrase.

"Fired" instead of "sacked" (ok thats been around awhile)

"Dude" (ditto)

He's not talking about the etymology. There's no "correct" answer to what you call your mother. There is, however, something annoying about people adopting an accent and/or phrases that aren't theirs. Hence, this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

I really hope that this person spoke without thinking. Its hard to believe that anyone, who understands what they are talking about, could say something like this. Black or not.

She is not a bad person, she just comes out with mad statements. I think she just didn t think about what it would sound like. You might think she would be more sensitive to racial and ethic cleansing issues, with her being black but apparently not.

Discussing the pros and cons of ethnic cleansing, thats a Bush worthy quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

hunnybunny wrote: »
    I hate the "lets discuss the pros and the cons" expression.

Especially when I was at a meeting abroad about teaching. The subject of explaining the holocaust to Arabs came. The lecturer pointed out that some Arab teenagers may say that the Jews deserved ethnic cleansing and Hitler had the right idea. As western teachers we were asked "how would we answer back to this?

An American girl (black may I add) put up her hand and said. "We should discuss the pros and cons of ethnic cleansing and the holocaust by writing points on the board and we should look at the economic and social benefits of ethnic cleansing":confused:

The Irish and English teachers just looked at her with jaws dropping to the floor! :eek:

I mean wtf. You could only imagine an American like George Bush coming out with something like that! Not an "African American" surely!
    Pro: More Jew gold for rappers to put in their teeth.
    Con: Less good movies coming out of Hollywood.

Stereotypes are great.

Terry wrote: »
    Pro: More Jew gold for rappers to put in their teeth.
    Con: Less good movies coming out of Hollywood.

Stereotypes are great.
    How does the holocaust generate more Jew Gold though? And what Jewish movies were there? Personally I would have said Population Control before anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

If I'm on the phone, I always say the numbers out seperately - "One Three Eight Lemon Street". It just minimises the chances of them mishearing me.

I say Dude and Awesome a lot. Actually a friend of mine speaks like an American, uses American words (he even says "candy") and has an American accent. He lives in Athlone and has barely ever been out of the country.

I'm an American and I don't think this post is offensive (unlike my spazz countryman), but may I ask what you call it instead of "candy"? I had no idea that was an Americanism Americanizm.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    How does the holocaust generate more Jew Gold though? And what Jewish movies were there? Personally I would have said Population Control before anything
    You just don't get my jokes at all, do you?

Had I been serious, I would have said population control too.
    However, I was joking.

As for movies, I give you the Coen brothers as one simple example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

PillyPen wrote: »
    I'm an American and I don't think this post is offensive (unlike my spazz countryman), but may I ask what you call it instead of "candy"? I had no idea that was an Americanism Americanizm.

Sweets.

Oh right, I knew that. Didn't realize candy was never used though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kiss the Girls

hunnybunny wrote: »
    She is not a bad person, she just comes out with mad statements. I think she just didn t think about what it would sound like. You might think she would be more sensitive to racial and ethic cleansing issues, with her being black but apparently not.

Discussing the pros and cons of ethnic cleansing, thats a Bush worthy quote!

Well I don't want to get too off topic, even though I am. You have to understand the dynamic of being black and born in America. Its different and so much more complex than being black any where else in the world. From what that person said she sounds like she was inadvertently showing her upbringing and the type of social arena she was raised in. After having a day of thinking about the statement, I think she did not understand the gravity of what she was saying. Because she was not raised to understand it.

Well I don't want to get too off topic, even though I am. You have to understand the dynamic of being black and born in America. Its different and so much more complex than being black any where else in the world. From what that person said she sounds like she was inadvertently showing her upbringing and the type of social arena she was raised in. After having a day of thinking about the statement, I think she did not understand the gravity of what she was saying. Because she was not raised to understand it.
    How do you know what sort of upbringing she had?

She could have been a Huxtable.

How do you know what sort of upbringing she had?

She could have been a Huxtable.

Wow, I would retort........ I don't want to be of topic ;)

You just don't get my jokes at all, do you?

Had I been serious, I would have said population control too.
    However, I was joking.

As for movies, I give you the Coen brothers as one simple example.
    for the sake of this thread im playing the role of the ignoramus.

btw: American upbringing? Social Studies? Foreign Politics and History? You walk into any classroom and youre not greeted with a proper map: Its a map of the 50 states. The greater majority of students aren't really raised to give a **** about the rest of the world: Canada's Up, Mexico is Down, and Cuba is a sperm-splurt 50 miles off the coast of America's Wang. If you asked me to point to Turkey on a blank globe - there's not a chance in hell I'd get it right.

btw: American upbringing? Social Studies? Foreign Politics and History? You walk into any classroom and youre not greeted with a proper map: Its a map of the 50 states. The greater majority of students aren't really raised to give a **** about the rest of the world: Canada's Up, Mexico is Down, and Cuba is a sperm-splurt 50 miles off the coast of America's Wang. If you asked me to point to Turkey on a blank globe - there's not a chance in hell I'd get it right.

Wow, you went to one of those schools with the helmet kids that I heard about.

Nah - Just an Irish Catholic school in Clare. Still cant point to Turkey though. The rest of that stuff is true though for most american students.

Wow, you went to one of those schools with the helmet kids that I heard about.

I think he worded it a bit harshly, but everything he said is true imo. Anyway, making fun of helmet kids isn't really a valid retort.

• Advertisement

****in' yanks.
    Get yer own internet.

****in' yanks.
    Get yes own internet.
    says the country that was still discovering DSL when America was pioneering T1 Lines and Broadband :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

says the country that was still discovering DSL when America was pioneering T1 Lines and Broadband :p

Terry's a country now? How'd that happen?

janeybabe wrote: »
    Terry's a country now? How'd that happen?
    I'm captain awesome.
    I can do anything.

PillyPen wrote: »
    I think he worded it a bit harshly, but everything he said is true imo. Anyway, making fun of helmet kids isn't really a valid retort.

I wasn't flamin anybody but him. If you feel that way then get over it.

Theres a name change for ya :rolleyes:

KtG if you were trying to flame me: 1) Fail 2) Go sit down.

I wasn't flamin anybody but him. If you feel that way then get over it.

The only thing I felt was that your response sounded ridiculous. And it wasn't a very good flame, btw.

Well, it was better than JaneyBabe's attempt I reckon'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Well, it was better than JaneyBabe's attempt I reckon'

:(

And I liked you and everything

/scribbles Overheal off list of people I like

• Advertisement

Ha, I actually liked Janey's. At least it wasn't the typical "Oh yeah?? Well you're a retard" shit.

Advertisement