Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

janeybabe wrote: »
    :(

And I liked you and everything

/scribbles Overheal off list of people I like
    :-/

I'm just tired of responses like that is all. had a housemate that was notorious for them. Got old fast when you could talk to him about anything without being interrupted for a lame play on words. Nothing personal babe

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

PillyPen wrote: »
    Ha, I actually liked Janey's. At least it wasn't the typical "Oh yeah?? Well you're a retard" shit.

/replaces Overheal on the list of people I like with PillyPen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Yay, Internet popularity ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Overheal wrote: »
    :-/

I'm just tired of responses like that is all. had a housemate that was notorious for them. Got old fast when you could talk to him about anything without being interrupted for a lame play on words. Nothing personal babe

Back on the list you little scut you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

And back on thread, I had a good laugh listening to an interview by an American captain in Iraq describing darkness as 'zero natural illumination'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

when they say "I could care less" and don't realise how stupid they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kiss the Girls

vektarman wrote: »
    'zero natural illumination'

Is that like saying "its dark"?

or pitch black. but they have to sound like, military and stuff. For example "Torture" is really called "Waterboarding" is really called "Advanced Interrogation Techniques"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

vektarman wrote: »
    And back on thread, I had a good laugh listening to an interview by an American captain in Iraq describing darkness as 'zero natural illumination'

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Des wrote: »
    Shag isn't american tbh.

Yeah ive never heard that in any US film or TV show. Its english/irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

MooseJam wrote: »
    when they say "I could care less" and don't realise how stupid they are

That drives me crazy! If you could care less it means you care dummy! When I say that to people they always go "No, because..... OH yeah!" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

When they call Hennessy Cognac instead of Brandy. I know its written on the label but still....... I ve been calling it brandy my whole life its too late to change now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A pronunciation that I associate with Americans is "genuwhine" for genuine. I've never heard one Irish person who doesn't pronounce the word as Americans would.

Another one is Peugeot, which everyone in Ireland pronounces as Pewjoe. I understand that Pewjoe is the same pronunciation as used by Americans.

I reckon some pronunciations "snuck" in, became universally accepted and nobody notices anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Another one is Peugeot, which everyone in Ireland pronounces as Pewjoe. I understand that Pewjoe is the same pronunciation as used by Americans.

Not being French myself, how is that supposed to be pronounced then?

I say Pewzho.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not being French myself, how is that supposed to be pronounced then?

I say Pewzho.

Purrzho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Awesome topic dude, now I'm gonna have me a Budweiser Light.

m'kay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Purrzho.

That's hardly how it's pronounced in France, is it?

Speaking of car names. How is Hyundai pronounced? UK ads pronounce it as Hi-unn-dye, US as Hun-dee, and I've heard people pronounce it as Hyun(Rhymes with Fionn)-Dye.

EDIT: Apparently it is Purrzho. Here's a french guy saying it: http://antp.be/temp/priv/peugeot.wav

Blisterman wrote: »
    That's hardly how it's pronounced in France, is it?

Speaking of car names. How is Hyundai pronounced? UK ads pronounce it as Hi-unn-dye, US as Hun-dee, and I've heard people pronounce it as Hyun(Rhymes with Fionn)-Dye.

EDIT: Apparently it is Purrzho. Here's a french guy saying it: http://antp.be/temp/priv/peugeot.wav

It's Hun-dye in America, based on every ad I've ever seen. :confused:

NO KEEE EH ..... not nokia.

Thank god nobody calls jack daniels a bourbon though. Id have to kill that person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

hunnybunny wrote: »
    When they call Hennessy Cognac instead of Brandy. I know its written on the label but still....... I ve been calling it brandy my whole life its too late to change now! :)

Thats because Americans have a weird system where they call items by their brand name. So tissues are kleenex, biros or razors can be bics, and in this case brandy is hennessy. Methinks its to do with a certain stage of capitalism which they have reached but I doubt anyone will agree.

• Advertisement

Thats because Americans have a weird system where they call items by their brand name. So tissues are kleenex, biros or razors can be bics, and in this case brandy is hennessy. Methinks its to do with a certain stage of capitalism which they have reached but I doubt anyone will agree.

Hm, but I believe vacuums are called "Hoovers" in Ireland? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

PillyPen wrote: »
    Hm, but I believe vacuums are called "Hoovers" in Ireland? :p

yes but its pronounced vacuum. You have to stress the H you see....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

cognac is a region specific type of brandy (the same way that champagne is region specific), its also made a bit differently

all cognac is brandy but not all brandy is cognac, if that makes any sense :)

biros or razors can be bics
    erm no. a razor is a razor, a pen is a pen, and I dont refer to my underwear as haynes. my toothbrush is not a colgate my tv is not a phillips, well, you see where this is going.

erm no. a razor is a razor, a pen is a pen, and I dont refer to my underwear as haynes. my toothbrush is not a colgate my tv is not a phillips, well, you see where this is going.

True, true. But I do call "tissues" "Kleenex" sometimes.

In Kerry all crisps are Taytos. Not limited to the US by any means.

really? i'd usually refer to a ballpoint pen as a biro

thats because youre irish. you also call a pencil sharpener a topper/pairer :rolleyes: and an eraser is now suddenly a rubber, which is a shortname usually reserved for dildos afaik.

sadly though mp3 players everywhere are being mistaken as ipods. its actually quite disgusting.

thats because youre irish. you also call a pencil sharpener a topper/pairer :rolleyes: and an eraser is now suddenly a rubber, which is a shortname usually reserved for dildos afaik.

sadly though mp3 players everywhere are being mistaken as ipods. its actually quite disgusting.

i'm not irish, and a rubber is a condom not a dildo...also, "erasers" were always known as rubbers its not a sudden thing at all, it kind of stands to reason seeing as they're made from rubber

the ballpoint pen was invented by some guy whos surname was biro, hence the reason for calling them biros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

thats that's because youre you're Irish. You also call a pencil sharpener a topper/pairer :rolleyes: and an eraser is now suddenly a rubber,

When I was 12 it was called a rubber, that was 14 years ago .. hardly suddenly

;)

Advertisement