Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jojobrad

You dont think "Mom" is an Americanism ? Its right up there with "Ya'll have a nice day now" !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's full stop not period you crazy yanks. Chips>french fries>freedom fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

where are you going on holiday yank?
    to europe....

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

longshanks wrote: »
    where are you vacationing ?
    to europe....

Fixed that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,980 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

javaboy wrote: »
    It's full stop not period you crazy yanks. Chips>french fries>freedom fries.
    What about first period Math? I need somewhere to sleep before 3rd period History Class. I guess I could always ditch school by golly I like recess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

jojobrad wrote: »
    You dont think "Mom" is an Americanism ? Its right up there with "Ya'll have a nice day now" !

Mom tells me that growing up in Mayo they called the oul ones along the road some variation of 'Mother' - Mamma Mong, Mum Biggins, Mam Hickey etc. No mention of 'mom' so I expect this is a recent introduction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

How about Black American? Sounds bit different..

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

gabigeist wrote: »
    Mom tells me that growing up in Mayo they called the oul ones along the road some variation of 'Mother' - Mamma Mong, Mum Biggins, Mam Hickey etc. No mention of 'mom' so I expect this is a recent introduction

There was an old lady who ran an old shop close to where I grew up that everyone called Baby McGuire.

Back on topic, when I was in 'Merca I was teaching little kids, talking to them one day about plaits and plaiting hair. Got a lot of blank expressions. "Braids" if you don't mind!

Overheal wrote: »
    What about first period Math? I need somewhere to sleep before 3rd period History Class. I guess I could always ditch school by golly I like recess.

Troll. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

fringe. not bangs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

XXX 101 is creeping into the vernacular too (were XXX is some subject) and 101 means a basic introduction to it.

Also, I've noticed some folks this side of the pond saying "Toosday" for the day after Monday...grrr.

What really annoys me is the usage of adjectives/nouns instead of adverbs:
    "How are you ?" ..."I'm doing good". I think the answer is meant to mean that the person is doing well, as (if you treat "good" as a noun instead of an adjective) opposed to fighting the forces of evil.

And you don't "axe" someone a question, you ask them!

Stuff I let slide is when it has become a proper noun, like Media Center...but I will talk about media centre PC's in general (as opposed to ones using XP/Vista's Media Center).

A_M101 wrote: »
    There was an old lady who ran an old shop close to where I grew up that everyone called Baby McGuire.

Back on topic, when I was in 'Merca I was teaching little kids, talking to them one day about plaits and plaiting hair. Got a lot of blank expressions. "Braids" if you don't mind!

Yeah, similar example is when I offered a 'slice of beef or ham' to seppo customers at a carvery I worked at. They's no idea til I offered them a 'piece of beef or ham.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Don't know if anyone has said this yet as thread is way too long to read through :-)

but over use of the word 'random' I find so irritating. My niece is 16 and she and her friends use it approximately 50 times a day.

e.g. "OMG that is sooo random" - used to describe literally anything!!!!!!

PS. Mom is definately not americanism - it's abundant in Cork and has been for decades - don't know about other parts of the country. My mother used to call her mother mom, plus we called our mother mom. Trust me, if you started using americanisms in Cork during the 70/80's you'd have had a quick slap accross the head!!!

Tupins wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone has said this yet as thread is way too long to read through :-)

but over use of the word 'random' I find so irritating. My niece is 16 and she and her friends use it approximately 50 times a day.

This is the one exception to my "I don't hit girls"* rule. :mad:

*before all you PC crazies start having a go, I was only joking.**

**I don't have an "I don't hit girls" rule. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Tupins wrote: »

I don't hear "random" much here. But my sister uses it interchangeably with strange or unusual and that really annoys me. I thought she picked it up in England, where she lived for years. AND she disputes the original meaning of "random" when I correct her!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thread title is bogus, not just because teh suffix -izm doesn't exist anywhere but also because
    The -ize spelling is preferred by some authoritative British sources including the Oxford English Dictionary — which, until recently, did not list the -ise form of many words, even as an alternative — and Fowler's Modern English Usage. The OED firmly deprecates this usage, stating, "[T]he suffix…, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr[eek] -ιζειν, L[atin] -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling in -iser should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic."[40] Noah Webster rejected -ise for the same reasons.[41] Despite these denouncements, however, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK in the mass media and newspapers, and is often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism

Thread title is bogus, not just because teh suffix -izm doesn't exist anywhere but also because

I assume the OP was being ironical? ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Harsh, dude. Way harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

The Americanos at concerts or a party: "woooooo! yeaah! wooooooo!! yeah!!. we love you!!. woooooo! yeah!"

but you're supposed to say "GO YE HOR YE!!!!" or at a rave "up to the up to the up gwan the fukc" or similar.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yakuza wrote: »
    XXX 101 is creeping into the vernacular too (were XXX is some subject) and 101 means a basic introduction to it.

Also, I've noticed some folks this side of the pond saying "Toosday" for the day after Monday...grrr.

What's wrong with Toosday? How do you pronounce it here in paddy land? Chewsday? Yes, I can see how that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    AND she disputes the original meaning of "random" when I correct her!

You should find a dictionary, look up the word random. Close the dictionary and repeatedly bash her over the head with it.*

*Since she's a girl, find a softback copy.

MarkR wrote: »
    What's wrong with Toosday? How do you pronounce it here in paddy land? Chewsday? Yes, I can see how that makes sense.

Tyoosday. Not chewsday or toosday.

Note also the correct pronunciation of due: My library book is dyoo/joo/doo back.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    As a nation I find 70% of them to be as thick as dogsh*te but America is also giving us some phrases that are slowly creeping into Irish vernacular more and more.

"Season" being one - in reference to a television "series"

"Mom" instead of the good old Irish "Ma"

"Shag" instead of our lovely "ride" phrase.

"Fired" instead of "sacked" (ok thats been around awhile)

"Dude" (ditto)

So what Americanism gets on your tits?

Language has always been diverse and changeable throughout time. From one village to another from town to town; city to city; country to country!!

It’s just now were all living in a Global Village.

I’m sure when the Romans were in England the locals were a bit pi**ed off at the fact they were changing the language.

Read this and see who influnced the American Language

http://reese.linguist.de/English/celtic.htm#ireland :confused:

DubArk wrote: »
    I’m sure when the Romans were in England the locals were a bit pi**ed off at the fact they were changing the language.

Hypocritical Romans. "When in Rome" my arse. They don't even follow their own rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I pronounce Tuesday just like i pronounce tuna, thats also the way most Americans i know (a lot) say it. I pronounce the T and the U (the way you pronounce the letter U) and the rest is the same.
    so i say it like: Tuwsday and Tuwna, its like the way Irish say Chewna and chewsday but i use a T like its supposed to and not a CH.

Saruman wrote: »
    I pronounce Tuesday just like i pronounce tuna, thats also the way most Americans i know (a lot) say it. I pronounce the T and the U (the way you pronounce the letter U) and the rest is the same.
    so i say it like: Tuwsday and Tuwna, its like the way Irish say Chewna and chewsday but i use a T like its supposed to and not a CH.

What about Tursday?

gabigeist wrote: »
    What about Tursday?

Could be worse. We could be going around saying Fursday. One, two, free. :mad:

javaboy wrote: »
    You should find a dictionary, look up the word random. Close the dictionary and repeatedly bash her over the head with it.*

*Since she's a girl, find a softback copy.

OK, she's abroad at the moment, but I'll be waiting to collect her at the airport next time she's back with a Collin's Concise English Dictionary in the back pocket.

Then she'll say "oh my god, what a random thing to do!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Saruman wrote: »

I don't think the argument here is which is the 'correct' pronounciation of the word, or any word. As someone said, people from different countries or parts of the same country always have and always will pronounce things differently, hence accents.

I think what annoys people is the fact that up until recent years the Irish had a particular way of pronouncing something (eg chewsday) and now suddenly they are changing it to American pronounciations to sound cool or whatever reason.

This is the annoying thing - it's like we are losing some of our identity!

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    OK, she's abroad at the moment, but I'll be waiting to collect her at the airport next time she's back with a Collin's Concise English Dictionary in the back pocket.

Then she'll say "oh my god, what a random thing to do!"

If she can still speak after the thrashing, then your dictionary is too concise.

Advertisement