Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shag isn't american tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

I think this is an Americanism....

I'm noticing that loads of people nowadays are saying "real" instead of "really", as in "she's real good at that".

Irritates me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Awesome thread tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I think the sit com 'Friends' has alot to answer for.....

Like....whatever!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    As a nation I find 70& of them to be as thick as dogsh*te but America is also giving us some phrases that are slowly creeping into Irish vernacular more and more.

"

I'd say over 70% of them would be able to use % instead of &.

They are doing something about it like.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055348151

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

People saying things are totally tubular, bodaciously awesome, and like totally radical, dude.
    And we don't even call our pennies 'pee' anymore, we're calling them cent!... what's up with that yo? fo shizzle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

As a nation I find 70& of them to be as thick as dogsh*te but America is also giving us some phrases that are slowly creeping into Irish vernacular more and more.

"Season" being one - in reference to a television "series"

"Mom" instead of the good old Irish "Ma"

"Shag" instead of our lovely "ride" phrase.

"Fired" instead of "sacked" (ok thats been around awhile)

"Dude" (ditto)

So what Americanism gets on your tits?

You've met 70% of Americans? Anti American ignorant twats get on my tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

A_M101 wrote: »
    I think this is an Americanism....

I'm noticing that loads of people nowadays are saying "real" instead of "really", as in "she's real good at that".

Irritates me a bit.

i just think that's bad grammar.not as bad as the eejits that say "un-pc" instead of "politically incorrect" though.

Anti American ignorant twats get on my tits.
    No, you have to put it in an Americanism.... (hint: replace 'twats' with 'jerks')

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Like at the end of every other sentance, like.

"Mom" I wouldnt reguard as being an americanism either. And for the tv Season/Series thing. The smaller once off shows are called "mini-series" (Generation Kill for example is called a 'mini-series' as are some others). Im sure there is a reason for the season thing, maybe as UK/Ireland only ever has about 6 or 8 episodes in a series yet in the US they have usually about 20 episodes which span over a longer period and coencide with, for example, the network broadcasters "Fall Season" of programming etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

... poeple who use the word 'pants' when they talk about trousers , hate that

Lord Muck wrote: »
    ... poeple who use the word 'pants' when they talk about trousers , hate that

That's a culchie thing aswell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As a nation I find 70& of them to be as thick as dogsh*te
    The irony :D Can not tell the difference between & and % :p Just kidding.

Well there is nothing wrong with Americanisms, just like there is nothing wrong with Arishisms. In fact some Americanisms come from Irish! Like "You dig it?" which means Do you understand... now then.. whats the Irish for Do you Understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anti American ignorant twats get on my tits.

Do you have any pictures of these twats on your tits?

Just wondering...fap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

"Shag" instead of our lovely "ride" phrase.

"Fired" instead of "sacked" (ok thats been around awhile)

Fired isn't American either ?
    A_M101 wrote:
    "she's real good at that".

Real
    –adverb
    Informal. very or extremely: You did a real nice job painting the house.
    —Usage note The intensifying adverb real, meaning “very,” is informal and limited to speech or to written representations of speech: He drives a real beat-up old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Enough already...:rolleyes:

That drives me insane..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well with all those Americans TV shows over here, there's huge potential for their phrases to creep in.

How many shows on IRish TV are American and how many are Irish...you do the math. *

*D'ya see wha' I did dere? Wha? G'wan ya good ting! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

patmac wrote: »
    Saruman wrote: »
    The irony :D Can not tell the difference between & and % :p Just kidding.

Eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

People saying things are totally tubular, bodaciously awesome, and like totally radical, dude.
    And we don't even call our pennies 'pee' anymore, we're calling them cent!... what's up with that yo? fo shizzle

If anyone said any of those to me in conversation, I dont think I'd be able to stop laughing long enough to respond.
    I'm going to make a point of saying "bodaciously awesome" to someone today. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Like at the end of every other sentance, like.

Is that not like a Cork thing though aswell like? Like maybe not just Cork, like, you know, maybe it's like a culchie thing like.

Donkeystyle, I'm going to err on the side of sarcasm with your post :p

• Advertisement

Neesa wrote: »
    Is that not like a Cork thing though aswell like? Like maybe not just Cork, like, you know, maybe it's like a culchie thing like.

And D4, loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Theres a shop in my local 'mall' with a sign in the window saying something about 'Fall Fashion'. Wtf?

Tis Autumn right, and twill always be Autumn!

Archeron wrote: »
    I'm going to make a point of saying "bodaciously awesome" to someone today. :D
    Ya go for it dude, work it in to your powerpoint presentation... you'll be a big man on campus then!
    Neesa wrote: »
    Donkeystyle, I'm going to err on the side of sarcasm with your post :p
    As a general rule, if there are any glaring inaccuracies in any of my posts; I was being sarcastic or somehow witty in a way people aren't clever enough to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well with all those Americans TV shows over here, there's huge potential for their phrases to creep in.

How many shows on IRish TV are American and how many are Irish...you do the math. *

*D'ya see wha' I did dere? Wha? G'wan ya good ting! :pac:

Resist urge..... fails at resisting. It's MATHS! Maths. Maths. :mad::mad:

I mean jeez how hard can it be to stick an s on the end? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

Using the word "quasi" instead of "semi", e.g. I was like, only quasi- drunk last night...quasi doesn't mean the same thing as semi!!!! (in fairness it's more of a UCD thing but it's pretty annoying, so I'll put it down to the Americans!!)

mom can I have my allowance? etc etc...

Oh yeah and pronouncing the I at the end of a word wrong, like mult-eye millionaire, quas-eye drunk, etc etc....ggrrrrRRRR!!!!

Jesus I shouldn't have started on this.... Spelling things wrong, can that be accepted as an americanism? sympathiZe instead of sympathiSe.. Airplane instead of aeroplane....the list is literally endless...Jee-aysus they're thick!!! :D

It really grinds my gears hehe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

javaboy wrote: »
    Resist urge..... fails at resisting. It's MATHS! Maths. Maths. :mad::mad:

I mean jeez how hard can it be to stick an s on the end? ;)

Yeah man WTF is math? short for mathematiC? no such thing...!!

ok rant over, americans are nice.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Using the word "quasi" instead of "semi", e.g. I was like, only quasi- drunk last night...quasi doesn't mean the same thing as semi!!!! (in fairness it's more of a UCD thing but it's pretty annoying, so I'll put it down to the Americans!!)

Yes that quasi- irritates me a lot. I throw it in the same category as the misuse of exponentially and quantum.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i like totally hate the term "going forward" when used in work. Don't like "closing out" either and not a fan of "rolling out" when it's used in conjunction with "across the business" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

patmac wrote: »

I'm sure it was just a ballpark figure.

Far out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Twats that say 'I'm good' instead of 'I'm fine' or 'I'm grand' when offered something really do my head in.

And I swear that the first Irish person to say cell-phone instead of mobile is going to get a punch from me :eek:

Rant over !!

Advertisement