Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

My son calls me "mommmy"..I thinks its cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    "Dude" (ditto)
    Dude is an Irish word anyway.
    How the Irish invented the Dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Joliegood wrote: »
    And I swear that the first Irish person to say cell-phone instead of mobile is going to get a punch from me

Its just "cell" dude!

*high five*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Supersize me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Oops, I'd say I have a lot of them. I picked up a lot of my English from American TV shows :o. After watchng a lot of English shows I'll catch myself saying "pounds" instead of "euros". Which, I admit, is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Neesa wrote: »
    Oops, I'd say I have a lot of them. I picked up a lot of my English from American TV shows :o. After watchng a lot of English shows I'll catch myself saying "pounds" instead of "euros". Which, I admit, is stupid.

Grand so you'll fit right in with most of the older Irish crowd who still say pounds and miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It may seem petty to some but it really annoys me the way yankee-doodles say numbers. eg, "138" they say "one hundred, thirty eight" lazy asses! it's one hundred AND thirty eight. the other way doesn't make sense!

Don't get me started on A-L-U-M-I-N-I-U-M!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

they say "alooominium" dont they?

Oh and its "cenTRE" not "cenTER" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well it's not an Americanism but I can't stand hearing Irish people say 'mate' all the time. At best it's an Oz thing, at worst it's a British thing. Same with Irish people using the words Chav and Pikey :mad: :mad:

What ever happened to honest to goodness degrading terms like scumbag and knacker? Honestly!

:pac:

On topic:

I like America, I really do and I like Americans but I hate Irish people who've lived there for "like, 3 months on a J1" and come home talking about 'going to the mall' or 'stepping off the sidewalk onto the freeway...'.

We get it, you had a big adventure in going to America for a few months, whoop de do, your otherwise boring and sheltered horizons were made broader, great. There's no need to use Americanisms to let us know you were there, we're sure you will bore us with details aplenty every chance you get.

/Wow, where did that come from??? *removes chip from shoulder* :D

It may seem petty to some but it really annoys me the way yankee-doodles say numbers. eg, "138" they say "one hundred, thirty eight" lazy asses! it's one hundred AND thirty eight. the other way doesn't make sense!

138 was my old address before I moved house. I always said 1-3-8 when giving my address. One hundred and thirty eight would have sounded ridiculous. I now live in a double digit house and use the full fifty six style (not my real house number stalkers! ;)). Sometimes it makes sense to say it one way, sometimes another.

If it bothers you that much ring one billion, eight hundred and fifty million, six hundred and nine thousand and ninety. They'll be glad to help :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

garbage instead of rubbish
    tomAtoe instead of tomato
    aloooooomin-um really annoys me, but thats been said already:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

"Dude" is the worst. I see it so often on here as well. I know exactly the type of people who say it. They try so hard to make it sound natural but it never does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

"Season" being one - in reference to a television "series"

I've always used them in slightly different ways, american shows have season (and to be fair the majority of what i'd bother to watch would be american in origin) and british shows have series.

So it'd be series four of 'red dwarf' and season five of 'Stargate: Atlantis'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I've heard of a Limerick saying "How's your body" /shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

r3nu4l wrote: »
    /Wow, where did that come from??? *removes chip from shoulder*

You mean the government put a chip in your shoulder too?

There's a group. We meet on Wednesdays. Can't say more. The boards have ears.

If I'm on the phone, I always say the numbers out seperately - "One Three Eight Lemon Street". It just minimises the chances of them mishearing me.

I say Dude and Awesome a lot. Actually a friend of mine speaks like an American, uses American words (he even says "candy") and has an American accent. He lives in Athlone and has barely ever been out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Hey y'all, what's up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This thread is funny.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    You mean the government put a chip in your shoulder too?

There's a group. We meet on Wednesdays. Can't say more. The boards have ears.

Jeez louise! Sheesh. Do you really think those jerks in the government are dumb enough to put the chips in our shoulders? They know we're a nation of dog lovers so they encourage us to put them in our dogs, knowing that we won't go anywhere without our beloved animals. It means we can still be tracked but we won't get suspicious.

Sorry but that's conspiracy theory 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Personally I don't have a problem with Americanisms. It's the Persianisms that annoy me.

Caravan - It's called a Mobile Home, people!!!
    Balcony - Projecting Terrace
    Caviar - Fish Eggs
    Typhoon - Hurricane

Our kids have obviously been reading too many Persian manuscripts. The mere idea of the English Language evolving over time, it's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

You're all just upset nobody takes after the Irish unless you're being mocked. Toppadamornintooyah and all that jazz.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

they say "alooominium" dont they?

Not quite (and, yes I know you were spelling phonetically etc).

We say 'aluminium', they say 'aluminum'. There is a missing 'i' in there, and they have the emphasis on the second syllable, which accounts for the different pronunciations on that one.

Overheal wrote: »
    You're all just upset nobody takes after the Irish unless you're being mocked. Toppadamornintooyah and all that jazz.

Eh hold on. Every second American person claims they're Irish* so 'go figure'.

*Source - Institute of Convenient Statistics for Internet Debates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

javaboy wrote: »
    138 was my old address before I moved house. I always said 1-3-8 when giving my address. One hundred and thirty eight would have sounded ridiculous. I now live in a double digit house and use the full fifty six style (not my real house number stalkers! ;)). Sometimes it makes sense to say it one way, sometimes another.

If it bothers you that much ring one billion, eight hundred and fifty million, six hundred and nine thousand and ninety. They'll be glad to help :D

I see your point but saying 1-3-8 (one three eight) is ok for reading out numbers quick. My point was the way they miss out the "and" when they are saying numbers "properly" ie - one hundred, thirty eight when it should be one hundred and thirty eight. Obviously you say phone numbers and the like counting them all as single digits to make it easier.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Caravan - It's called a Mobile Home, people!!!

Is a caravan not a mobile home with wheels pretty much? Yes, I know this is totally removed from the point of your post, but, like whatever man!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Dunno if it counts as an Americanism but "lol." Its not even a real word! I hate the way people use it to start and finish a sentence.
    eg "lol hows it goin lol" Theres nothing f*ckin funny about that!!
    Or the worst of all, when people say it. I mean people who actually drop it into a real conversation. They should be repeatedly beaten with a keyboard until they are a bloody pulp incapable of stringing those 3 letters together.

Eh hold on. Every second American person claims they're Irish* so 'go figure'.
    Only because the Average Joe (theres one) is looking for plausible neutrality when the **** hits the fan :pac: (another one)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Over use of the word 'so' example: "That is soooo what i want for lunch", " you are soooo right" etc...

"Friends" caused this!!

Also, I heard some Americans recently using the word 'Sick' to denote something they enjoy or find cool... FFS, its not even close to what that word means!

Point missed by one hundred and eleventy miles methinks.

• Advertisement

fitz0 wrote: »
    Dunno if it counts as an Americanism but "lol." Its not even a real word! I hate the way people use it to start and finish a sentence.
    eg "lol hows it goin lol" Theres nothing f*ckin funny about that!!
    Or the worst of all, when people say it. I mean people who actually drop it into a real conversation. They should be repeatedly beaten with a keyboard until they are a bloody pulp incapable of stringing those 3 letters together.

:D

Advertisement