Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

whatevs, dude! :mad:

I'm sorry, I don't understand this strange language you are speaking.

Do you speak English?

I say, DO *makes hand gesture*, YOU *points at metaoblivia*, SPEAK *makes mouth gesture*, ENG-LISH *points across Irish sea*?
    Cue a legion of lowbrow lickspittles down the years riding the same two-Ied high-horse into orthographic combat and getting their panties in a wad about someone calling a metal by its actual name.

That goes double for you.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Yes that would be acceptable.

Go on, ozzyoh, now's your chance to kiss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Irish people pronouncing "schedule" as "skedule". I've even heard college lecturers do it.

Any Irish person who uses words like "dude", "mall" and "awesome" without irony should be beaten with a surfboard until they are DEAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Earthhorse wrote: »

Oh terrapony, you know I only have eyes for you.

Agamemnon wrote: »
    Irish people pronouncing "schedule" as "skedule". I've even heard college lecturers do it.

Any Irish person who uses words like "dude", "mall" and "awesome" without irony should be beaten with a surfboard until they are DEAD.

That reminds me. It's "I-RON-EE" not "EYE-URN-EE". You wouldn't say "EYE-ORN-IC" now would you?

Agamemnon wrote: »

How ironic.
    Oh terrapony, you know I only have eyes for you.

As long as that's all you've got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    "Ridiculous" is the new "awesome" apparently.

Eg: That girl has ridiculous tits dude.

Dericulous:D

As long as that's all you've got.

Yeah sorry just eyes at the moment. You know this recession affects the black market organ trade too. If you really need it I know where I can get hold of a good liver (one previous owner. only a social drinker) but I'm going to have to charge a bit more than usual.

"Ridiculous tits?" LOL! If I heard that, I'd be like where, where, what's wrong with 'em?

"I had the most ridiculous shag last night"....oh the mind boggles...

I don't think that's a word that'll be catching on! (hopefully not anyhoo)

Yeah sorry just eyes at the moment. You know this recession affects the black market organ trade too. If you really need it I know where I can get hold of a good liver (one previous owner. only a social drinker) but I'm going to have to charge a bit more than usual.

These God-damned Olympic games have squeezed us all! Stupid top flight athletes and their need for drug free organs!

Meet me at the opium den later and we'll settle up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I'm sorry but I could never say "making out" without laughing. Maybe we'll grab a bite at the slicery and then catch a movie at the drive-thru. If I'm lucky we'll end up making out at Anal Point. Uggh. Silly Merkins.

ha merkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

'Oh my gosh!'

What does it even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Tzetze wrote: »
    'Oh my gosh!'

What does it even mean?
    Because you can't say the Lords name in vain, imagine the consequences!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Deise-Girl..xx

the way americans call runners sneakers/trainers really annoys me..notice a lot of Irish people calling them that as well..drives me crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

the way americans call runners sneakers/trainers really annoys me..notice a lot of Irish people calling them that as well..drives me crazy!!

Sneakers = U.S
    Trainers = U.K

Des wrote: »
    Sneakers = U.S
    Trainers = U.K

Correct. Although when I need to do any sneaking, I just wear socks. They never hear you and wake up if you wear socks.

I know people who say "macking on" .. Like to chat up..

I also really really hate when people say "nu" for new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This thread makes my heart leap with joy.

Mainly because I <3 irony :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Anyone who calls their ma 'mom' needs a good smack :pac:

I know a few people who have obviously spent too much time watching the television, because they're full of 'yankspeak'

One lad finishes nearly every sentence like it was a question. You know what I mean. Very annoying. He talks like he's living in some American sitcom. Which he isn't. He's living in a West Dublin suburb. Like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My all time favourite is "talk to that".

What is it with septics and their need say let me talk to this or that topic.
    What's wrong with using "address" or "discuss".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭adsgirl

"Hi Guys" said in big dumb, pretend, American accent. really wrecks my head:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭starlight07

I think "mom" thing is a cork-ism as well as an american-ism... doesnt really bother me much

Anyone else noticed when people are describing how happy they are and say "Im happy out!" or if someone does something to offend someone else they say "That was bad out!" Out of what?! Theres no need for the "Out" wtf I dont get it?!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Our Fractions? You want to acredit Americans for discovering the fractal system?

Fractions are not the same as fractals.

Also, "dude" could be from the Irish dùd, "fool".

Many "Americanisms" are actually words that went to America from Britain then fell out of use in Britain e.g. "I have gotten" or "vest" for jacket. Shakespeare used the word "trash".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

They pronounce 'Nissan' as 'Nee-san'

Idiots, the lot of them.

I think it's fair to say the English language is decaying into nothing.

ahh yeah, that annoys me too! RUNNERS, full stop!

I've heard some people calling a wardobe a "closet"...

also people who say "you know that kinda way" at end of sentences really annoy me....I dunno if that's an Americanism though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Max_Damage wrote: »

Idiots, the lot of them.

actually, they call pan-ten pan-teen over there as well... I don't know exactly why but that annoyed the hell out of me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Max_Damage wrote: »

Idiots, the lot of them.

I'm not entirely sure 'Nissan' is an English word, but am I almost entirely sure that Nee-san is pretty close to spot on.

What was that about eediots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

<irony> Head up you guys! here's what, like, totally freaks me out... </irony>

TV 'show' instead of Programme
    'Store' instead of Shop
    'Garbage' instead of Rubbish
    'Alternate' instead of Alternative
    'Meet with' instead of Meet
    'Write me' instead of Write to me

Grrrrr :mad:

A friend recently suggested I "buy a Condo in the docklands".
    He got a slap. I'm all for English evolving - however I resent cultural colonialism by stealth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

milod wrote: »
    'Alternate' instead of Alternative

You do know those are completely different English words and are not interchangeable on any of the major continents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

'hook up' does my head in and have even heard 'vacuum' instead of hoover. sad state of affairs.

Advertisement