Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americanizms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Whats worse than the Americanism are all of the young Irish kids with american accents. Anyone else notice this a lot more over the last few years?

Is it that they are plonked in front of the tv/consoles all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Shulgin wrote: »
    Whats worse than the Americanism are all of the Irish kids with american accents. Anyone else notice this a lot more over the last few years?

Is it that they are plonked in front of the tv/consoles all day?
    what worries me more is all the Irish Kids running around listening to 50 cent and all that crap, then they walk around their neighbourhoods talking ghetto: it doesnt translate well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

5starpool wrote: »
    Point missed by one hundred and eleventy miles methinks.

Oh no I got the point I just wanted to make a silly joke about writing the Samaritan's phone number in full English. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

"that sucks"

I say it a lot. Just words..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

"Ridiculous" is the new "awesome" apparently.

Eg: That girl has ridiculous tits dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

The only thing that really annoys me is the way Americans need "CLOSURE ON BLOODY EVERYTHING"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

marti101 wrote: »
    The only thing that really annoys me is the way Americans need "CLOSURE ON BLOODY EVERYTHING"

Explain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Score (I know it is used as 'know the score'), whatever happened to a good auld shift? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

IvaBigWun wrote: »

I must inform Ridiculous that people are using his name in vain.

Steve_o wrote: »
    Explain....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_(psychology)

I think television may have something to do with that. Many people live unimaginative lives. Not just americans either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Ruu wrote: »
    Score (I know it is used as 'know the score'), whatever happened to a good auld shift? :/

That's a culshie saying!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I can say what I want, as I'm a half breed. Half Irish. Half American. Half Cuban. One Quarter Scottish*

I'm here 18 years and I think I sound real Irish (see what I did there? ;))

I regularly ask for pickles instead of gerkins, I'm sure to take my vitamins, (not your crazy vitamins - subtle difference). I'll use a flash light instead of a torch, and if I want some oil, I won't go to the motor factor, I'll just invade the garage and pretend I'm liberating it.

Oh yeah. Color. :D

*Not really true. The scottish part anyway. I just love the odd fractions people use to define who they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

MarkR wrote: »
    Color.
    Spellings a bit of a grey area :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Overheal wrote: »
    what worries me more is all the Irish Kids running around listening to 50 cent and all that crap, then they walk around their neighbourhoods talking ghetto: it doesnt translate well.

I disagree. The amount of pasty wiggers slouching around the place is pure comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hey y'all, what's up :pac:

Doesn't count if you are in fact a yank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

IvaBigWun wrote: »

What is worse is the shortened version "ridic".

I heard a D4 saying this recently.

"That's just, loike, totally ridic".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

MarkR wrote: »
    *Not really true. The scottish part anyway. I just love the odd fractions people use to define who they are

Thats funny... We do not use fractions for this purpose :D Its usually Americans who say they are part this and part that.

We are Irish, If we are born here or have spent most of our life here, we are Irish.

Oh and on the Aluminum/Aluminium thing... The reason for that is something along the lines of, the American who discovered and named it called it Aluminum (he originally might have said Aluminium but thereafter dropped the I) however the British did not like to move away from conventional "ium" at the end of metals (titanium, magnesium etc) so added the I.
    Something like that anyway.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Saruman wrote: »
    Thats funny... We do not use fractions for this purpose :D Its usually Americans who say they are part this and part that.

We are Irish, If we are born here or have spent most of our life here, we are Irish.

Oh and on the Aluminum/Aluminium thing... The reason for that is something along the lines of, the American who discovered and named it called it Aluminum (he originally might have said Aluminium but thereafter dropped the I) however the British did not like to move away from conventional "ium" at the end of metals (titanium, magnesium etc) so added the I.

Yeah, the fraction part was supposed to be another americanism. Their eighths, quarters, halves (halfs? is that another) etc usually add up to about 1.6. :pac:

I'm 110% sure on this. ;)

Our Fractions? You want to acredit Americans for discovering the fractal system?

Not to be mistaken with the Fraggle Symptom

Overheal wrote: »
    Our Fractions? You want to acredit Americans for discovering the fractal system?

Not to be mistaken with the Fraggle Symptom

Did the Americans not pay-tent fractions years ago? An American pay-tent overrides a non-American pah-tent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Hack

The question is why would anyone get annoyed by people playing and having fun with language like maybe calling a group of lads guys or dudes or calling a girl a "bird" a "chick" ? Do they twitch? it's okay to not like words or accents - but this growing dislike for so called Americanisms is schoolyard stuff - man! or "boy" as they say in Cork. It will be Corkisms next!!

javaboy wrote: »
    Did the Americans not pay-tent fractions years ago? An American pay-tent overrides a non-American pah-tent.
    You had me real confused there: cos nobody (and I mean nobody) calls it a paytent.

For corkisms see NBC's "Heroes - Volume Two" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Doesn't count if you are in fact a yank.

whatevs, dude! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

ugggggh "shift" *shudders* I hate, hate HATE that word! Will never use it. If anyone else uses it, I go "STOP saying that word PLEASE! It's horrible."

The US version "making out" is so much better! (makes people sound like they're about 12, but still better than the above term!) Or what's wrong with snog?

Don't get the use of the word "Mom" either....my b/f and his sis/bro's use it as well, and it irritates the hell outta me! It's MAMMY! MAMMMMMMMMMMMMY!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Saruman wrote: »

It was actually a British scientist who discovered and named it aluminum. Which was fine until some ponce who had theretofore made no contribution to humanity decided to 'correct' him and add an I. Cue a legion of lowbrow lickspittles down the years riding the same two-Ied high-horse into orthographic combat and getting their panties in a wad about someone calling a metal by its actual name.

If you say 'aluminium' then you have to say 'Londonderry', it's only fair.

ozzyoh wrote: »
    ugggggh "shift" *shudders* I hate, hate HATE that word! Will never use it. If anyone else uses it, I go "STOP saying that word PLEASE! It's horrible."

Can you drive a stick shift? :rolleyes:
    The US version "making out" is so much better! (makes people sound like they're about 12, but still better than the above term!) Or what's wrong with snog?

I'm sorry but I could never say "making out" without laughing. Maybe we'll grab a bite at the slicery and then catch a movie at the drive-thru. If I'm lucky we'll end up making out at Anal Point. Uggh. Silly Merkins.

And btw Snog sounds like a good name for one of the comic-relief type cute characters that accompanied the likes of He-Man and Bravestar. Definitely not a good name for kissing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I hate the way they say semy-finals instead of semi. I mean saying 'I've got a bit of a semy' That will never catch on. Also there has been a lot of season finales lately on the telly, I'm still waiting for the final epidsode.

As for fall 'Sex and the City' has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Can you drive a stick shift? :rolleyes:

Ok, should have said that I don't mind it being used in sentences where it's appropriate....but it's def not an appropriate word for kissing!

I'm sorry but I could never say "making out" without laughing. Maybe we'll grab a bite at the slicery and then catch a movie at the drive-thru. If I'm lucky we'll end up making out at Anal Point. Uggh. Silly Merkins.

And btw Snog sounds like a good name for one of the comic-relief type cute characters that accompanied the likes of He-Man and Bravestar. Definitely not a good name for kissing.

Hmmm ok, maybe they were bad examples.....how about "kiss"?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How about 'wear the face off' ?

• Advertisement

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Ok, should have said that I don't mind it being used in sentences where it's appropriate....but it's def not an appropriate word for kissing!

Relax the rolleyes weren't aimed at you. I agree with you really. Shift shouldn't be used for kissing or for describing proper car gear controls. :)
    Hmmm ok, maybe they were bad examples.....how about "kiss"?

Yes that would be acceptable.

Advertisement